As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Amok Rhyme

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I guess I don't get the 2 wolves thing, or is that meant to just be random.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »

It's an old saying. Something like "Within you are two wolves always fighting, one for peace and the other for war."

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Bursar wrote: »

It's an old saying. Something like "Within you are two wolves always fighting, one for peace and the other for war."

"Which one do you feed?"
    It's usually a poke at someone to have a little more self-awareness and bring their behavior in line with what they claim to want.

(I'm a little skeptical of its actual vintage, however; it sounds to me rather like one of those Wise Old Indian Native Sayings they were always putting in Chakotay's mouth.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    My favorite version was a pointlessly long yarn about a native who ran a dog fighting ring, no seriously, and he owned both dogs, no seriously there were only two dogs in this "dog fighting ring", and he made his money by rigging the fights, no seriously he owned both dogs in the dog fighting ring and people still bet on it and he made money by taking bets and rigging the fights. How did he know which one would win? It was the one he fed that day.

The dogs' names? Albert Einstein Hope and Despair (or some other bullshit like that)

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The Two Wolves thing has become a meme in the last however long. It might have begun on Reddit for all I know.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, from the Meme dictionary site and also my experience, it started as a "wise old saying" with dubious origins in terms of being wise. Then it became a meme. Frankly, a not terribly funny or creative one.

Maybe it's finally starting to stretch it's legs though. That O'Brien one breaks the normal formula and is actually, like, good.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Oh, by the way, public service announcement:

Bridge Crew is on sale on Steam for like $7.50 for the base game or $12 for the game + the TNG DLC. It's a super fun game that I recommend!

You don't need VR to play, it's 100% playable on a keyboard and mouse setup BUT you do need three friends. Playing solo or with randos isn't going to be a good time. But if you can jump that hurdle, it's a great time.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Do they also need bridge crew or does it work with the networked local multiplayer thing they added/are adding?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Do they also need bridge crew or does it work with the networked local multiplayer thing they added/are adding?

They need the game, yeah. There's no local co-op (since it was originally a VR game)

• Options
    I got it a while back, to play with friends, but it requires just a little more computer than I currently have; it runs for a while, then crashes.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I got the chance to play bridge crew in VR just the once on my sisters PlayStation.

It’s very...board gamey? Like it feels like four people doing separate minigames that interact. This isn’t a bad thing, it has the same vibe as say, space cadets (unsurprisingly). I enjoyed it. For $12 it’s worth a play.

I will say I played it online, and actually it was one of the best online experiences I’ve ever had, because seemingly I ended up with the random group that was really into role playing it.

Shouting out “Red alert, raise shields” and hearing a human voice shout “aye captain” back was amazing fun.

• Options
    The thing that really blew my mind was playing it with a couple of people who had literally never seen Star Trek before (me and the fourth person had) and after like, one mission the two newbies had totally settled into that special call-and-response rhythm.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The urge to spout nonsense would be too strong. It'd be all tachyon beams and compressed ionic particle waves and deflector dish polarity inversions. I'd be the Most Incomprehensible Captain in Starfleet.

• Options
    Relevant:

i-mqBc47V-X5.jpg

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    give a hand for Picard's other hands!

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Riker get your foot off Data's console, ffs.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Really sad to see that DC Fontana passed away (https://io9.gizmodo.com/rip-d-c-fontana-the-legendary-writer-who-helped-star-1840180772). She wrote and edited a ton of great episodes for TOS, the best (IMO) TAS episode, and also had a hand in some of the better S1 TNG eps. The way Spock is seen as a character, the portrayal of Vulcans and Romulans, and the introduction of time travel to the shows are due in a large part to her work.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    :(:(:(

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Watching the space hippies episode of TOS. It's quite bad but all the hippies chanting HERBERT at Kirk was v good.

• Options
    I kind of want Charles Napier to follow Kirk around forever, breaking into song about THE MAN whenever Kirk gives an order.

• Options
    That episode is bad in a lot of ways, but I love how chill and accepting Spock is of the hippies. Though I feel like the story then did Kirk and Chekov dirty by making them more authoritarian for contrast.

• Options
    There's a two second shot of a red shirt on the bridge playing air drums as the hippies sing a song over the tannoy that is fantastic.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Is Worf just constantly constipated? Is that why he drinks so much prune juice and is always angry?

He's angry cause he's a Klingon. He drinks prune juice because it is the beverage of a true warrior.

He drinks prune juice because he's such a tight ass that it's the only way he can poop.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Is Worf just constantly constipated? Is that why he drinks so much prune juice and is always angry?

He's angry cause he's a Klingon. He drinks prune juice because it is the beverage of a true warrior.

He drinks prune juice because he's such a tight ass that it's the only way he can poop.

Demonstratively false.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrftAEQyyx8

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    So how many people tried out prune juice for the first time after seeing that. Quite frankly, I'm surprised I never did. It's the sort of thing I would do.

I've memorized Barkley's Cyrano speech, I've memorized a good portion of Modern Major General...so many things I know about only through Trek.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yeah I never tried it based on Star Trek, even though I DID try Earl Grey tea because of Star Trek. I guess to my youngster mind prune juice was irrevocably an old person drink and not even Worf could make it cool enough for me to try.

Also I feel like Worf calling it a warrior's drink means its canon that blood wine tastes like alcoholic prune juice.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So how many people tried out prune juice for the first time after seeing that. Quite frankly, I'm surprised I never did. It's the sort of thing I would do.

I've memorized Barkley's Cyrano speech, I've memorized a good portion of Modern Major General...so many things I know about only through Trek.

I've had it before, though not because of Star Trek.

It's okay, way to sweet for my taste (though that might have been the brand)

The only reason they did the "warrior's drink" with it is that it's funny since most people consider it a drink for old people. There's nothing special about the taste. It's even more inoffensive than orange juice since that at least has some acid.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I intentionally avoided Earl Grey tea until I was in my late twenties because I didn’t want to seem like a TNG fanboy.
    I was an idiot, Picard drinks it because it is the best tea.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Earl Gray sucks don't @ me bro.

Oolong all day.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Oolong all day.

More for me.

I wonder if someone could program custom settings into a replicator. Like, when Riker orders a cheeseburger, it knows to use pepperjack instead of cheddar or that it should always have bacon. And if so, would you have to add the program to every replicator you come across, or would your personal files include your preferences and you just have to log in as it were.

More slice of life Trek stories, please.

Mancingtom on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Oolong all day.

More for me.

I wonder if someone could program custom settings into a replicator. Like, when Riker orders a cheeseburger, it knows to use pepperjack instead of cheddar or that it should always have bacon. And if so, would you have to add the program to every replicator you come across, or would your personal files include your preferences and you just have to log in as it were.

RFIDs in their communicator badges holds all their personal settings.

I mean, I'm just throwing out ideas.

EDIT - also, please ignore all the episodes where somebody complains about how the night crew changed up all their console configurations...

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Oolong all day.

More for me.

My headcanon is that customization of replicator dishes, while possible, is largely a function of available memory/storage space for patterns. Replicators are an application of transporter technology; every single dish you get out of one was originally prepared "manually" by some master chef, chosen (probably from several candidates) as the platonic example, and then dematerialized/digitized. So every single time you order "a cheeseburger" without elaboration, you get the exact same cheeseburger, down to the placement of seeds on the bun; heck, down to the molecular (but not quantum) level.

The better the replicator, the more variations of any given item it will have on file. If there's just the one cheeseburger in the memory banks, you might be able to order it without (say) pickles, and it just doesn't materialize those; really cheap models may not even be able to manage that. Adding anything not in the original sample is IMO right out; you'd have to ask for it separately, and then put it on yourself.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, this is Star Trek future stuff. It would be trivially easy to add some procedural generation and custom stuff in there, such that ordering up a thousand hamburgers produces a thousand "perfect", but slightly unique, hamburgers. And stuff like pickle slices would be easy enough to make individual files for, so ordering a hamburger would mean the system pulls up the bun, meat, and pickle files for those items, randomizes them a bit, and kicks out your burger.

At least on something like the Enterprise, the computer seems to have files for practically every dish known to the Federation as well. Klingon Gutworm Fricasse? Easy, all six top recipes, plus Spock's own extra-horrifying anatomically-correct deconstructed version. Tenubrian Ass-Blaster? No problem, the computer can even do the version that given you the polka-dot shits instead of polka-dot vision. Memory doesn't seem to really be a problem, as even Quark's replicators seem to be able to replicate whatever people ask for.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I've memorized a good portion of Modern Major General...so many things I know about only through Trek.

Wasn't that one Babylon 5?

Although, I guess Trek could've done it as well. Although I don't believe Star Trek ever had that song for their outro.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I've memorized a good portion of Modern Major General...so many things I know about only through Trek.

Wasn't that one Babylon 5?

Although, I guess Trek could've done it as well. Although I don't believe Star Trek ever had that song for their outro.
    I think Geordi sings it tho all I can find is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazAs9ZPuhA

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyyjCn1ML3k

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Well, I know Babylon 5 definitely had it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbQ-y589mx8

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Yeah I never tried it based on Star Trek, even though I DID try Earl Grey tea because of Star Trek. I guess to my youngster mind prune juice was irrevocably an old person drink and not even Worf could make it cool enough for me to try.

Also I feel like Worf calling it a warrior's drink means its canon that blood wine tastes like alcoholic prune juice.

Earl Grey is one of my favorites today, and I only tried it because of Picard. Wonder if you could track Earl Grey sales as a function of Star Trek TNG airtime

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    "And that's when I shot him, Your Honor."

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    Really sad to see that DC Fontana passed away (https://io9.gizmodo.com/rip-d-c-fontana-the-legendary-writer-who-helped-star-1840180772). She wrote and edited a ton of great episodes for TOS, the best (IMO) TAS episode, and also had a hand in some of the better S1 TNG eps. The way Spock is seen as a character, the portrayal of Vulcans and Romulans, and the introduction of time travel to the shows are due in a large part to her work.

I had no idea Fontana wrote a TAS episode, but the second you said it I knew it must have been Yesteryear. I cannot believe I missed that it was her work.

This discussion has been closed.