As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Heh, those sounds though. Definitely needs work. Visually and mechanically it looks great.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    About a month ago, I bought Timespinner on Steam. Seemed like a nice Metroidvania. And then I noticed my Xbox One controller had d-pad issues (the down button was inconsistent).

Anyway, I finally fixed that yesterday and dove back into Timespinner. I'm about 2 hours in and there's a lot to like in this one!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

It's weird, how he describes bosses, and his expectation of getting kicked several times before finally beating them being his ideal balance in games makes me . . . uninterested in the game. Generally, with bosses, I prefer a one and done kind of thing; I don't really get a sense of satisfaction in defeating bosses (it's less "I did it" and more "freaking finally"), so bosses that are game roadblocks for a while until you figure them out are . . . much less my kind of thing. About the only series that gets some level of leeway on this is Dark Souls. Because it's Dark Souls. And even there, if I have trouble with a boss it's more likely that I'll level grind rather than crash against a boss repeatedly, because at least level grinding is active forward progression the whole way, slowly getting stronger. Slamming my head against a thing that keeps killing me in three hits or something is just testing my admittedly limited patience.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bugger! I was going to make my pre-purchase for Blasphemous II this weekend, but credit card shenanigans kept me from doing so. Said shenanigans may not be cleared up in time to snag the discount.

Don't make the same mistake as me! Save nearly 4 dollars on your B2 purchase now! It's out next week!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    It's weird, how he describes bosses, and his expectation of getting kicked several times before finally beating them being his ideal balance in games makes me . . . uninterested in the game.

And this is why indie gaming is such a double-edged sword. A lot of times, these indie devs have a very specific idea of what they find fun, and they're making their game for those very specific interests. Which is great when they love all the same things you love. But most of the time, it seems indie game developers loved all the things I hated about gaming in the 80s and 90s.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

I played a bit of this game (Touhou Luna Nights) on Game Pass a few years ago and bounced off of it. It's another one of those games that I thought looked great, but was just missing something that the Metroidvanias I enjoy possess and I did not continue playing it. The same thing happened to me with that Record of Lodoss War metroidvania. It's a shame, too, because they look amazing! The latter, especially, has sprites about as good as (if not better than) SotN. The environments just felt empty to me, though.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed it enough to finish it, but a lot of Ladybug's titles do have this samey feel to them.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The Lodoss War game I liked a great deal more than Touhou since I like that IP more and the "Just Dodge" thing from Touhou where you intentionally try to scrape by getting hit is something I don't like in a Shmup and don't like way MORE in a Metroidvania.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The Lodoss War game I liked a great deal more than Touhou since I like that IP more and the "Just Dodge" thing from Touhou where you intentionally try to scrape by getting hit is something I don't like in a Shmup and don't like way MORE in a Metroidvania.

On the other hand, Luna Nights was way more challenging, and rewarding(much like Touhou).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I have a vague recollection of both of the Team Ladybug metroidvanias feeling very "stage-y", by which I mean that there's a pretty clear delineation between one area and the next (I think Lodoss War specifically announces them as chapters), and then once you've got the latest movement tool you go find the one place that opens up somewhere new and move on. Whereas in something more like Super Metroid, you might very frequently cross through previous areas on your way to the next zone, such that more territory feels relevant for a longer portion of the game.

I was almost bemused how the plot of both games largely involved "that character you recognize from the source series makes a vague pronouncement, and the viewpoint character responds with a confused grunt" until the very end, when they finally told you what was actually going on.

I very much enjoyed both of them, mind you. Just two things that stood out to me.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The regular enemies look like pushovers, too. The bosses are spectacular but every enemy in a proper Castlevania is supposed to be a mini-puzzle with a gimmick to figure out.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I have a vague recollection of both of the Team Ladybug metroidvanias feeling very "stage-y", by which I mean that there's a pretty clear delineation between one area and the next (I think Lodoss War specifically announces them as chapters), and then once you've got the latest movement tool you go find the one place that opens up somewhere new and move on. Whereas in something more like Super Metroid, you might very frequently cross through previous areas on your way to the next zone, such that more territory feels relevant for a longer portion of the game.

Yeah, this is what I like best. You go into a place and spot all kinds of ledges that are too high to reach or a floor with cracks in it, and you know you're gonna find some stuff to get there later.

Hollow Knight had a moment where you find the wall jump item, and you're jumping up those walls and having a blast, then right in the next screen there's non-jumpable walls and a really high ledge and you're all "sons of bitches!" and you make a note to come back when you find a double jump or something.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I really like how much in Hollow Knight can be cheesed early by just using the down attack in air in the right places. It is something I absolutely overlooked in my first playthrough.

Whelk on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    I really like how much in Hollow Knight can be cheesed early by just using the down attack in air in the right places. It is something I absolutely overlooked in my first playthrough.

Best pogo jump since NES DuckTales.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    When I came back to the game this year and started fresh I ended up being self gated for a little bit because I forgot you could pogo the bouncy shrooms. Then like a few hours later I did it on some spikes randomly and remembered everything

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I backed 9 Years of Shadows on Kickstarter, still waiting on the Switch port.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I backed 9 Years of Shadows on Kickstarter, still waiting on the Switch port.

Almost as long a wait as Star Citizen...

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Have some British Castlevania.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6dk6rwQuQE

The bosses are pretty poor but the influence was clear.

• Options
    Thought that gave me very Amiga-ass Shadow of the Beast vibes. Turns out it's from Psygnosis according to wikipedia.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Played a bunch of Blasphemous 2. It's good! Though I don't think it lands quite as well as the first one. The original had a number of unorthodox abilities for exploration, but 2 has some pretty bog-standard stuff - double jump, air dash, etc. Some neat upgrade mechanics, but nothing truly outstanding.

Great visuals and set-pieces though, all classic Blasphemous gruesomeness. Very fluid movement and fun combat. I hope it follows the pattern of the original and gets more polish and DLC stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6hNxChZFvU&ab_channel=Team17

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Played a bunch of Blasphemous 2. It's good! Though I don't think it lands quite as well as the first one. The original had a number of unorthodox abilities for exploration, but 2 has some pretty bog-standard stuff - double jump, air dash, etc. Some neat upgrade mechanics, but nothing truly outstanding.

Great visuals and set-pieces though, all classic Blasphemous gruesomeness. Very fluid movement and fun combat. I hope it follows the pattern of the original and gets more polish and DLC stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6hNxChZFvU&ab_channel=Team17

I grabbed Veredicto first and was missing my parry a lot. It does feel a bunch different, which I enjoyed.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I'm only just starting but I already have Blasphemous 2 Lore Thoughts
    First off it seems like this time The Penitent One is actually a single individual instead of a changing person behind the iron helm - specifically the one who destroyed The High Wills and was actually buried at the end of the last game

And if the overarching theme of Blasphemous 1 was Guilt, it seems like the overarching theme of the sequel is Devotion

How is that something so heinous it would necessitate The Miracle to reassert itself? well

It seems like the acts of the last game really inspired the populace of Custodia to take after The Penitent One. the capirote and the garments of procession were adopted and coopted by the new leadership of the land post Miracle in honor of the Penitent One's acts. But the actual lesson behind what they did, the moral and ethical necessity of ending the endless guilt, was lost. People just transferred their faith unto this new edifice, built (quite literally) on top of the old faith; a new testament on the foundations of the old one but missing the reason the original came to its conclusion.

this is best exemplified by the fact that the supposed source of inspiration for this change, The Penitent One's own tomb, is a distant pilgrimage site removed from the new faith's core; and it's not that detached from reality - consider the Church of the Sepulcher in Jerusalem compared to where the might, the glory, the wealth and the power of Christianity sits ensconced in the vaulted domes of the Vatican in Rome

this detachment, this misconception, goes on for so long and to such an extent that a married couple hoping for a child turn in desperation to the Miracle - the horrible thing that was so instrumental in their suffering, but still capable of great acts. It'd be like christians praying to the devil because Jesus left

and so the lunar entity (which is not the High Wills, who were the manifestation of the guilt-based faith of the old Miracle) who up until this point was aware but distant from this outpouring of faith, stepped in. "oh you have absolutely got to be shitting me with this," it is probably thinking. "these assholes want the Miracle back?! ok, something here has gotten clearly out of hand and it's symptomatic of a much larger issue. Welp, second verse, the same as the first - you want a child, people? well get fucking ready."

It's doubtlessly cruel and capricious, but it's also... catholically appropriate? or at least, Abrahamically appropriate. remember Old Testament God - of Sodom and Gomorrah, of the Binding of Isaac, of Moses hitting a rock in frustration to get water pouring out and him getting his wish, only for him to be punished by being denied entry to Israel by God because he didn't wait for the Almighty to say it was ok to start rock hitting time

which is why it is also appropriate for The Penitent One to be back - and not just back, but with their arm replaced with thorned dead wood, the metaphorical symbol the games uses for Guilt. This time you're not just carrying it wrapped around your weapon, the pain spurring you onwards towards redemption - it is part of you, brought on by your very deeds; indeed, by your own right hand. That this was not your intention does not absolve you of the responsibility to amend it, for you are its origin, and the only way it can be made right

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    First off it seems like this time The Penitent One is actually a single individual instead of a changing person behind the iron helm - specifically the one who destroyed The High Wills and was actually buried at the end of the last game

And if the overarching theme of Blasphemous 1 was Guilt, it seems like the overarching theme of the sequel is Devotion

How is that something so heinous it would necessitate The Miracle to reassert itself? well

It seems like the acts of the last game really inspired the populace of Custodia to take after The Penitent One. the capirote and the garments of procession were adopted and coopted by the new leadership of the land post Miracle in honor of the Penitent One's acts. But the actual lesson behind what they did, the moral and ethical necessity of ending the endless guilt, was lost. People just transferred their faith unto this new edifice, built (quite literally) on top of the old faith; a new testament on the foundations of the old one but missing the reason the original came to its conclusion.

this is best exemplified by the fact that the supposed source of inspiration for this change, The Penitent One's own tomb, is a distant pilgrimage site removed from the new faith's core; and it's not that detached from reality - consider the Church of the Sepulcher in Jerusalem compared to where the might, the glory, the wealth and the power of Christianity sits ensconced in the vaulted domes of the Vatican in Rome

this detachment, this misconception, goes on for so long and to such an extent that a married couple hoping for a child turn in desperation to the Miracle - the horrible thing that was so instrumental in their suffering, but still capable of great acts. It'd be like christians praying to the devil because Jesus left

and so the lunar entity (which is not the High Wills, who were the manifestation of the guilt-based faith of the old Miracle) who up until this point was aware but distant from this outpouring of faith, stepped in. "oh you have absolutely got to be shitting me with this," it is probably thinking. "these assholes want the Miracle back?! ok, something here has gotten clearly out of hand and it's symptomatic of a much larger issue. Welp, second verse, the same as the first - you want a child, people? well get fucking ready."

It's doubtlessly cruel and capricious, but it's also... catholically appropriate? or at least, Abrahamically appropriate. remember Old Testament God - of Sodom and Gomorrah, of the Binding of Isaac, of Moses hitting a rock in frustration to get water pouring out and him getting his wish, only for him to be punished by being denied entry to Israel by God because he didn't wait for the Almighty to say it was ok to start rock hitting time

which is why it is also appropriate for The Penitent One to be back - and not just back, but with their arm replaced with thorned dead wood, the metaphorical symbol the games uses for Guilt. This time you're not just carrying it wrapped around your weapon, the pain spurring you onwards towards redemption - it is part of you, brought on by your very deeds; indeed, by your own right hand. That this was not your intention does not absolve you of the responsibility to amend it, for you are its origin, and the only way it can be made right

Yeah I remember the Binding of Isaac, never got full platinum though, who wants to take a one-hit ghost through all that?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    One of the most unsettling aspects of Blasphemous is that no matter what awful thing the Miracle afflicts the people of Cvstodia with, they still worship and exalt it, seeing it as a divine act and therefore something holy to be praised and adored.

Even if it makes them grow into a giant and have all their skin ripped off, or get infested with bees and start melting into honey, or fused together with your two siblings into one hideous three-faced abomination. At the very worst, they're thinking 'gosh, I wonder what I did to deserve this' while absolutely believing that they do deserve it. There's no perceived difference between curse and blessing.

I finished my playthrough of B2 over the weekend, and I think I like the first one a little better overall. But the first one went through a lot of changes after release to smooth out gameplay and improve things, plus it had some great DLC, so I hope the second game follows suit.

I got both endings, bad and good, and I think the good ending is one of the most beautiful video game endings ever.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options

Yeah I remember the Binding of Isaac, never got full platinum though, who wants to take a one-hit ghost through all that?

I did this.

3 times.

Although I did have the item that gives you one extra hit per room.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Finally finished up Blasphemous 2, both currently available endings
    It does feel like the game is easier, and easier to understand lore/story wise, and I'm not sure I'm a fan - I do appreciate that it's possible to tell a story using the Dark Souls-esque obfuscating structure to the narrative without it being just fully 50% conjuncture, but I like chasing the mystery, feeling like I'm unravelling some deep and secret truth. Just my own peccadillo

As for the endings, it's clear there's going to be something better in the DLCs. Even the "good" ending is really rather grim - the Penitent One doesn't so much get a sweet hereafter as much as the Miracle decides to turn him into a permanent allegory, akin to one of those phrases from Darmok. They will live forever, captured in binds of faith, as a lesson to the faithful - and just like all the colossal ladies getting flayed by cherubs or giant men who have honey flowing out of every orifice, they will know no peaceful rest

I can't imagine the eventual S ending won't include us restoring the cool iron sword from the original game and somehow using it to resurrect Crisanta. Big golden pointy helmet woman X agender icon of contrition are my OTP and I will not apologise

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Dominique's Curse is like Castlevania II? Order of Ecclesia had already moved in that direction, I suppose.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Dominique's Curse is like Castlevania II? Order of Ecclesia had already moved in that direction, I suppose.

If its anything like Classic I, it's going to be a fairly beat-for-beat remake of the game.

Can't wait to talk to lying townsfolk and figure out the right wall to kneel at the right time.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I appreciated all of the CV2 references in Infernax, but I especially liked the kneeling at the wall reference

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    One of the most unsettling aspects of Blasphemous is that no matter what awful thing the Miracle afflicts the people of Cvstodia with, they still worship and exalt it, seeing it as a divine act and therefore something holy to be praised and adored.

Even if it makes them grow into a giant and have all their skin ripped off, or get infested with bees and start melting into honey, or fused together with your two siblings into one hideous three-faced abomination. At the very worst, they're thinking 'gosh, I wonder what I did to deserve this' while absolutely believing that they do deserve it. There's no perceived difference between curse and blessing.

I can have a colony of bees living in me? Where do I sign up?!?!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Before Castlevania: Nocturne was a Netflix series, it was a dream - inspired by the rich worlds and valiant heroes from the iconic video games. We're excited to share our Official Trailer tomorrow, and even more excited for you to see all of the work that is to come from now until September 28, when we'll finally release Castlevania: Nocturne on Netflix.
    97ucurcwkp0u.png

Hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_afpwpbKPs0

Goosebumps on the theme rendition. Maria looks incredible. Can't wait for this season.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Everything they put into the trailers is absolutely filthy with incredible sakuga to the point that the whole production looks disgustingly expensive, not unlike the hedonistic lifestyle of excess that the feudal aristocracy of France flaunted in around 1792 at the expense of the peasantry which gave the bourgeoisie enough common cause to galv-

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, if absolutely NOTHING else, the Castlevania show has a fucking EPIC score and this sequel looks to try and beat it.

And thankfully, the show also offers a lot more than just the score. The animation alone is absurdly disgustingly high quality.

Though I will say that the obvious thing that will be missing from this sequel series is the fantastic antagonism between Alucard and Belmont. I really do hope Alucard shows up and the exact same relationship happens with the new Belmonte, and Alucard just shakes his head going "every goddamn time, but I can't help but like them!"

• Options
    Dunno about Alucard but the press release already laid out something like that with Olrox? Like Olrox killed Richter's mom, but now he wants to work with Richter to take out Erszabet (at least for now.)

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    ah spoilers!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Question: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is at a DEEP discount on Xbox right now. I've heard that it had performance issues on the previous generation of hardware, but does anyone know if there are any problems on the Series X before I take the plunge?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!