As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Question: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is at a DEEP discount on Xbox right now. I've heard that it had performance issues on the previous generation of hardware, but does anyone know if there are any problems on the Series X before I take the plunge?

it should be fine. most of the issue were with the switch port, honestly.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Question: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is at a DEEP discount on Xbox right now. I've heard that it had performance issues on the previous generation of hardware, but does anyone know if there are any problems on the Series X before I take the plunge?

it should be fine. most of the issue were with the switch port, honestly.

Great! Getting it, then.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Damn, so many good metroidvanias are made with Unity. This bullshit is bound to screw with development.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Silksong has already had a very long dev cycle, is on unity and now this. Gotta suck for them.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Yeah, Silksong has already had a very long dev cycle, is on unity and now this. Gotta suck for them.

Pissing off Hollow Knight fans is certainly a choice. :o

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    "Silksong to switch to new engine, developement pushed back another 4 years."

And we laugh and laugh and laugh.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/castlevania-nocturne-richter-belmont-netflix-anime-1850878250
    Rather than setting up Maria and Richter to be hyper-capable carbon copies of their predecessors, as popular generation-spanning anime like Naruto are wont to do, the show instead opts to underscore how their inexperience puts them on the backfoot during nearly every deadly encounter in the show.

Nocturne’s greatest strength is how it allows its heroes to be vulnerable. While Trevor’s sardonic swagger in Castlevania comes as a result of him weathering years of failure and pyrrhic victories, Richter’s haughtiness derives from his fear that he won’t be strong enough to save the ones he loves.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The critical consensus of the Nocturne seems to be more or less "if you dug the last show, you'll dig this."

So yay on the creative team not missing a beat when the Warren Ellis thing happened.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ehhh... the first episode was okay. The writing definitely feels a bit lackluster, and some of the VA is not great, but the animation is still on point.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Is it out? No one updated that it dropped?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Is it out? No one updated that it dropped?

It's out.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I've indulged in a bit of nostalgia and spent a non-trivial sum to re-buy Dawn of Sorrow on EBay. So you can thank me when they now finally announce the DS Castlevania trilogy ports we're all waiting for.

It was my first metroidvania and blew me away. It lead to a mini-mania of buying up old games intermixed with a fairly solid run of new DS releases. Good times, it seemed like an endless banquet. This was back when the only way to play SotN was to pay truly silly money on EBay but that I did (and then sold it on afterwards to recoup the cost).

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Got a handful of thoughts about Nocturne I might gush about, but absent any coherent thought at 3AM what I'll say for now is that the technical artistry on display is absolutely obscene and Warren Ellis' absence is not all that noticeable here
    It hews remarkably close to the same thematic spaces the first series explored (but not in any way that relies much on nostalgia at all), the French/Haitian Revolution as an alt-history backdrop is very goofy but not just throwaway set dressing. Used to excellent effect in the show's theses and explains the extra writers they hired specifically for the cultural reach

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    What happened with Unity that affects Silksong? I feel like I missed a post.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Unity decided to slam their dick in a waffle iron and announce a change to their monetization structure where past a certain threshold you have to pay them per install

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Unity decided to slam their dick in a waffle iron and announce a change to their monetization structure where past a certain threshold you have to pay them per install

Which they're now frantically backpedaling on, but the damage has been done - literally everyone hates Unity now.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Thank you for the context!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Got a handful of thoughts about Nocturne I might gush about, but absent any coherent thought at 3AM what I'll say for now is that the technical artistry on display is absolutely obscene and Warren Ellis' absence is not all that noticeable here
    It hews remarkably close to the same thematic spaces the first series explored (but not in any way that relies much on nostalgia at all), the French/Haitian Revolution as an alt-history backdrop is very goofy but not just throwaway set dressing. Used to excellent effect in the show's theses and explains the extra writers they hired specifically for the cultural reach

I really like it a lot, though "technical artistry" is maybe a bit far? Unless we're not talking about the look which it definitely has but is pretty marred by the awful framerate, particularly during fights.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I really like it a lot, though "technical artistry" is maybe a bit far? Unless we're not talking about the look which it definitely has but is pretty marred by the awful framerate, particularly during fights.

Just in terms of the composition, the direction and choreography, I think it's just balls to the wall great
    There's far fewer scenes in this season compared to the previous ones where I noticed a lack of in-betweening at all, tbh. It really only bothered me in the last episode but otherwise it's still incredible where it counts

• Options

Honestly, it probably won't actually affect Silksong development in the slightest. There's no real chance of Team Cherry switching engines this far along, and even if Unity sticks with their new fees TC will likely be successful enough to make plenty of bank on it anyway.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    I've indulged in a bit of nostalgia and spent a non-trivial sum to re-buy Dawn of Sorrow on EBay. So you can thank me when they now finally announce the DS Castlevania trilogy ports we're all waiting for.

It was my first metroidvania and blew me away. It lead to a mini-mania of buying up old games intermixed with a fairly solid run of new DS releases. Good times, it seemed like an endless banquet. This was back when the only way to play SotN was to pay truly silly money on EBay but that I did (and then sold it on afterwards to recoup the cost).

I think I bought my copy of SotN on eBay circa 2004 for £30 - just looked at the prices today and holy moly.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeah, I bought SotN and Castlevania Chronicles for PS1 on or around their release dates and it's pretty crazy seeing they're worth $100 or more.

• Options
    Why are PlayStation black discs going for so much? Doesn’t it have decent ports now?

Is rondo of blood available on steam or switch yet?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Why are PlayStation black discs going for so much? Doesn’t it have decent ports now?

Is rondo of blood available on steam or switch yet?

Nope! Requiem containing Rondo/Symphony is PS4 only.

Sony had a hand in funding the Dracula Chronicles X remake that included these two originals. Supposedly Requiem is just a PSP emulator running those two games. So Konami would need to do some actual work to get them on other systems. Like I don't think M.2 has a playstation emulator handy at the moment.

That said I doubt more modern ports would do much to the OG's price, it rarely affects other games this old. And I believe its available on the PCE mini.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    I'm halfway through Nocturne, and it's gotten better, but it still feels more like S3/4 than S1/2. The plot is all over the map, and while it has some good points(the Haitian Revolution and historical aspects, Richter being much different from Trevor), the characters just aren't as strong. The banter doesn't feel as natural or kinetic, and worst of all, some of the VA and delivery is just bad. There definitely aren't any standout performances like Dracula or Godbrand like the OG had, at best it's... just fine.

It's definitely worth watching, and the visuals are as gorgeous as ever, I'm just disappointed it's not incredible like S1/2 were.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    S1/2 is a tough bar to be sure. 2nd half of nocturne is great.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »
    S1/2 is a tough bar to be sure. 2nd half of nocturne is great.

Yeah, it feels a lot more character driven, and the stories of Annette and Maria are far more interesting than Richter's. (Though the new character they added in 5/6 adds a lot to his story.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the second half of the show was much stronger than the first. It didn't totally fix all the flaws, but there's a lot of potential, especially with a stinger like that.

I know they won't after how S4 ended, but
    I could totally think of ways to write Dracula back into it if they wanted to, like he can't stand idly by and let a bunch of wretched wannabe vampires take his crown.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Yeah, the second half of the show was much stronger than the first. It didn't totally fix all the flaws, but there's a lot of potential, especially with a stinger like that.

I could totally think of ways to write Dracula back into it if they wanted to, like he can't stand idly by and let a bunch of wretched wannabe vampires take his crown.
    His wife will have passed away by now, so who knows how he's doing emotionally, but he might be okay if they had a good long life together. Maybe he's more well-disposed to humanity now.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

His wife will have passed away by now, so who knows how he's doing emotionally, but he might be okay if they had a good long life together. Maybe he's more well-disposed to humanity now.
    I'm just waiting for someone to try and assert control over him and him to be like, "nope".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I'm halfway through Nocturne, and it's gotten better, but it still feels more like S3/4 than S1/2. The plot is all over the map, and while it has some good points(the Haitian Revolution and historical aspects, Richter being much different from Trevor), the characters just aren't as strong. The banter doesn't feel as natural or kinetic, and worst of all, some of the VA and delivery is just bad. There definitely aren't any standout performances like Dracula or Godbrand like the OG had, at best it's... just fine.

It's definitely worth watching, and the visuals are as gorgeous as ever, I'm just disappointed it's not incredible like S1/2 were.

I dunno, I didn't have an especially well-formed opinion of Trevor, Sypha or Alucard until like, partway through Season 2 when the group dynamic truly solidified. I think Maria and Richter's voice performances are a little bog-standard at times, but I'm willing to bet Season 2 will have some real fucking banger moments
    The turning of Tera as "the lamb" still haunts me, and I'm looking forward to seeing all the emotional ruin that results

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am hoping that Alucard has a massive explanation for why his father must be stopped from being resurrected as Vampire Messiah again, and have a "wait, who's that?" moment

• Options

I dunno, I didn't have an especially well-formed opinion of Trevor, Sypha or Alucard until like, partway through Season 2 when the group dynamic truly solidified. I think Maria and Richter's voice performances are a little bog-standard at times, but I'm willing to bet Season 2 will have some real fucking banger moments
    The turning of Tera as "the lamb" still haunts me, and I'm looking forward to seeing all the emotional ruin that results

Maria actually had one of my favorite performances, especially during the later episodes.
    We'll raze your churches to the ground and salt the fucking earth.

It's Annette and her bestie that were a bit off at times, and I can't remember a single bad performance in S1. (Which also had a different director, I believe)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm starting to watch it now, and I'm worried it's already lost me in the first 5 minutes.
    "I'm not going to kill you..."

Yeah I'm sure this is in no way going to come to bite you in the fucking ass later on. Just kill the fucking kid!

I'm not being entirely serious here. But it's a hell of a way to introduce our big bad. Everything that happens to this guy from now on, I'm just going to go back to that moment and say "Well maybe you should have killed him then when you had the chance, you colossal tool!". :smile:

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm starting to watch it now, and I'm worried it's already lost me in the first 5 minutes.
    "I'm not going to kill you..."

Yeah I'm sure this is in no way going to come to bite you in the fucking ass later on. Just kill the fucking kid!

I'm not being entirely serious here. But it's a hell of a way to introduce our big bad. Everything that happens to this guy from now on, I'm just going to go back to that moment and say "Well maybe you should have killed him then when you had the chance, you colossal tool!". :smile:

Well I don't want to spoil anything but I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm only through the first few episodes and the opening
    having the vampire not kill a young boy
    completely makes sense to me in like... 5 different ways. Maybe he really is a somewhat decent guy and his loved one was genuinely murdered. Maybe he has a plan for the kid. Maybe the guy is a Belmonte himself and doesn't want to wipe out the bloodline. Maybe he just isn't big on pointless murder and has his whole own deal regarding who he will and won't kill.

We've definitely seen that vampires are fully capable of being not evil, it definitely seems to be more of a cultural thing in that the shitty ones have been taught to be particularly evil or have been totally corrupted by power. Why couldn't there be a group of vampires that are generally halfway decent when the rest seem evil? Even some Night Creatures seem capable of exhibiting intelligence and basic humanity and they're supposed to be literal hellbound souls and demons and whatnot.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Well, screwed that up

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I'm only through the first few episodes and the opening
    having the vampire not kill a young boy
    completely makes sense to me in like... 5 different ways. Maybe he really is a somewhat decent guy and his loved one was genuinely murdered. Maybe he has a plan for the kid. Maybe the guy is a Belmonte himself and doesn't want to wipe out the bloodline. Maybe he just isn't big on pointless murder and has his whole own deal regarding who he will and won't kill.

We've definitely seen that vampires are fully capable of being not evil, it definitely seems to be more of a cultural thing in that the shitty ones have been taught to be particularly evil or have been totally corrupted by power. Why couldn't there be a group of vampires that are generally halfway decent when the rest seem evil? Even some Night Creatures seem capable of exhibiting intelligence and basic humanity and they're supposed to be literal hellbound souls and demons and whatnot.
    Well I don't want to spoil anything but I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    I think part of what I like about Nocturne's character writing so far is that for a lot of the story, allegiances are about as clear as mud due to motivations that become readily identifiable to the viewer over the course of the show. The scenes of characters sitting down and bouncing their ideologies and aspirations off each other were actually some of my favorite parts of the original series (though I know some people hated them), and that carries over here. A huge running theme in this one is about teasing out these massive, fundamental hypocrisies underlying the actions of people who pursue power and control and everything from the character interactions to the plot development supports a kind of inexorable march to very obvious, horrifying ramifications.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I love me some Olrox.

Full series
    Gay Aztec vampire who has zero time for "Old World" vampire bullshit and colonialism, and, while amoral and a predator, doesn't kill when he doesn't need to. He even forms seemingly healthy attachment to a human, Mizrak.

Makes me wonder if he was turned by a conquistador or if the Americas have their own vampire clans. Sort of voting for the former, given his age of 250 would make sense. But then what sort of weird supernaturals are native there? Papa Legba/Ogun descended from Africa, after all.

Out of scope for "Castlevania," probably, but it'd be cool to have an American setting for a bit.