As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The John Wick Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    A lot of the problem with the end of the movie is just that that fall looks and sounds super fatal

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Astaereth wrote: »
    A lot of the problem with the end of the movie is just that that fall looks and sounds super fatal

He's a Jojo character, so that was just a mild inconvenience.

I mean, why do you think he has to shoot everyone six times in the head?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, I suppose if everyone requires multiple rounds to the head some awnings are more than enough with your impact resistant suit to give you good odds. It all makes sense now!

Winston is going to have to do some fast talking either way, though.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    After watching the analysis of 1 and 2, I paid a lot more attention in 3 to the long shots.

Dude.. Keanu Reeves can load shotgun shells in a way that sure looks like competitive shotgun folks. The way he'd just slam multiple in at the same time.

What analysis is this?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    After watching the analysis of 1 and 2, I paid a lot more attention in 3 to the long shots.

Dude.. Keanu Reeves can load shotgun shells in a way that sure looks like competitive shotgun folks. The way he'd just slam multiple in at the same time.

What analysis is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3P1ejh9pGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3qNnNDDZU

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Finally got chance to see it just now, loved it. It did start to feel its length by the time John gets back to the Contential, but then the final 2 fights floored it again and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Zero was a fantastic edition, too bad he's most likely dead, although like Cassian in 2, the blade wasn't pulled out, so there's always a chance.

The unsung hero of the film is one of Anjelica Houston's guards during the walk with her scene, the last door had a guy on the right of the screen with a perfect Peter the Great hair and beard combination.

I'm also pretty sure one of Sofia's dogs turned Bronn of the Blackwater into Barrada the Ball-less.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Zero is dead. Like John shoved a blade into Cassian but like not all the way. He pin cushioned Zero, and told him he's not catching up.

Though they could always A Better tomorrow 2 and have zero's twin brother show up. But if they are going to pull that trick I want Willem Dafoe back.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Respect gets respect. You can see this when John leaves the two henchmen alive. They were fanboys as well, but they treated him like John frigging Wick. Zero was just a creepy weirdo.

• Options
    Finally got chance to see it just now, loved it. It did start to feel its length by the time John gets back to the Contential, but then the final 2 fights floored it again and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Zero was a fantastic edition, too bad he's most likely dead, although like Cassian in 2, the blade wasn't pulled out, so there's always a chance.

The unsung hero of the film is one of Anjelica Houston's guards during the walk with her scene, the last door had a guy on the right of the screen with a perfect Peter the Great hair and beard combination.

I'm also pretty sure one of Sofia's dogs turned Bronn of the Blackwater into Barrada the Ball-less.

yeah I haven't seen that much testicular devastation since The Streetfighter.
    Zardoz approves.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Respect gets respect. You can see this when John leaves the two henchmen alive. They were fanboys as well, but they treated him like John frigging Wick. Zero was just a creepy weirdo.

I still cracked up when Zero sat right next to him on the couch and John awkwardly gets up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The look on his face was a total, are you serious right now, look, lol.

• Options
    I wonder if that was in the script or something that both actors came up with. It was one of those comedy moments that really felt organic in a way that's just like "come on man you were just trying to kill me"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    The movie was fantastic. I was happy to actually see some shots of New York Citizens freaking the fuck out when random gunplay ensued. There wasn't much of that in JW2 which made New York seem a bit silly.

The dogs were great, Halle Berry was great, the ending was pretty damn good. The fight choreography continues to get better and better.

I will say I didn't like the whole "random Arabian dude is higher than the high table" It just didn't make any sense. Also the finger thing was totes Assassin's Creed. If they're planning to do a crossover, I'm down, but otherwise no.

My favorite part was him rebuilding the 1860s revolver just to fire the one shot with it. It was spot on accurate, down to him checking every cylinder first.

So just so I have the timeline right, this entire series so far has taken place over like four weeks right? he's killed some 300+ people, including two high table seats, in four weeks, while being shot what five times?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The movie was fantastic. I was happy to actually see some shots of New York Citizens freaking the fuck out when random gunplay ensued. There wasn't much of that in JW2 which made New York seem a bit silly.

The dogs were great, Halle Berry was great, the ending was pretty damn good. The fight choreography continues to get better and better.

I will say I didn't like the whole "random Arabian dude is higher than the high table" It just didn't make any sense. Also the finger thing was totes Assassin's Creed. If they're planning to do a crossover, I'm down, but otherwise no.

My favorite part was him rebuilding the 1860s revolver just to fire the one shot with it. It was spot on accurate, down to him checking every cylinder first.

So just so I have the timeline right, this entire series so far has taken place over like four weeks right? he's killed some 300+ people, including two high table seats, in four weeks, while being shot what five times?

Well, he's also been stabbed and cut about 20 times, from the Red Circle fight in 1, to Cassian in 2, and Zero and his students in 3.

He's had to taken at least 2 concussions, and god knows what sort of blood borne pathogens he's come in contact with.

He might not be John McClain fucked up, but he's far from undamaged.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Well, he's also been stabbed and cut about 20 times, from the Red Circle fight in 1, to Cassian in 2, and Zero and his students in 3.

He's had to taken at least 2 concussions, and god knows what sort of blood borne pathogens he's come in contact with.

I should have clarified. I didn't mean "he was only shot five times"

I meant... "JESUS FUCK the man may actually have a bullet still floating around in there"

• Options
    So far every weapons room he's entered has had old flintlock pistols and blunderbuss/rifles on display.

JW4 better have him let loose with one of those, or at least a cannon.

• Options
    The end of the series will be that John is actually a literal demon/devil and had forgotten it to try and live a life like a person. He'll get shot in the head, and not die and then it'll reawaken the devil inside and then the high table will know they are well and truly fucked.

"oh shit he's a literal boogeyman."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    What I'm reading here is that the new opening credit sequence should copy Devil May Cry 5's opening credits, only with some snazzy Kpop song, much respek, much headshots.

• Options
    So far every weapons room he's entered has had old flintlock pistols and blunderbuss/rifles on display.

JW4 better have him let loose with one of those, or at least a cannon.

Gun finger for John Wick 4.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Revolvers...
    https://youtu.be/SR3aIzfNMXM?t=2m
    Revolvers!

• Options

I should have clarified. I didn't mean "he was only shot five times"

I meant... "JESUS FUCK the man may actually have a bullet still floating around in there"
    Ah, gotcha.

One thing that did set my teeth on edge was one line delivery by Ian McShane, his pronunciation of "Si vis pacem parabellum" was hot garbage. It was purely phonetic and neither classical nor medieval church Latin and it was bollocks.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    What I'm reading here is that the new opening credit sequence should copy Devil May Cry 5's opening credits, only with some snazzy Kpop song, much respek, much headshots.

No, more La Castlevania please. Not happy with the lack of La Castlevania in Chapter 3, damn it.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    John Wick 3 director reveals the inspiration behind the 4 best fight scenes
    I love dogs. I had this idea years ago, just couldn’t find the right trainers to help. I bumped into Andrew Simpson, who does all the wolves in Game of Thrones.

Some quick background: When you usually see a dog attack on the screen, the dog doesn’t know it’s a movie. There’s no such thing as a movie dog. When you see an animal attack, the animal’s intelligence is: They’re trying to kill the individual. That wasn’t going to work for us. Safety wise. When you see a dog attack [in a movie], what do you see? A dog, a medium-to-tight shot on one person because the animal’s focus is on one person in a padded suit, the whole deal. What you don’t see right outside of frame are three trainers with fucking prods ready.

We couldn’t do that the way we shoot John Wick and I wasn’t going to change our style because of that. So I talked to a couple of trainers. Like, “Look, I want to train the animals to know it’s play.” [And they said] “Well that’s not going to happen.” Like how many times do you get your little puppy and you play with a piece of rope, like they know it’s play! It just made sense to me. Like, why can’t we just fucking train dogs to make it seem like it’s play? [So a trainer would say] “Well you can’t, he ain’t get that intensity.” So I tell my idea to [Andrew Simpson] and he’s like ... He’s a very quiet guy and he was being very, very quiet for five minutes. And he just looked up and said, “Yeah, I think that’s something we can do.”

So I went around like literally a year out and did a cross country trip through America and picked out five Belgian Malinois, which we decided was the most intelligent, aggressive breed we could find. Found five that we thought had potential when they’re about a year, year and a half old. And for the next 11 months they were trained to be around people and trained that it was play time and it was okay to attack.

The deficit is you can’t put these dogs back into the community when you’re done because then they’re all trained to attack. What you don’t see is that we digitally removed these bright green pads over the groin in the chest — the dogs are triggered by the color green. They see color quite well. Yeah, you didn’t want to wear green to work.

So the dogs would go after the green toy and you know, [dog chomping noises], cut. And we had to pull the thing off and put him in his little cage and relax him. But for them it was play. It was not kill. So if there was a mistake, the dogs know this is not a bad thing. And emotionally it would be bad for the dogs to have seven months of aggressive training always. Like, that’s not good for any creature. So Andrew came up with a great training method, but he just said it’s going to take a lot of time to instill that behavior. And no one can be around an animal in that state without being identified by the animal as a friend.

So the stunt team had to work with the dogs every day for five months. Halle Berry had to be with the dogs every day for five months. Keanu, too. Okay, that’s on camera. Who else is involved in movie? Everyone behind. So the cameraman have to be standing around the dogs all day, the dogs have to recognize the scent, the smell, anybody that was going to be on that set in close proximity had to spend a lot of time with the dog. So even if you’re not shooting with them, they’re still on set and hanging out.

We keep them somewhat contained in close proximity. The dogs, once they lose focus you know, it’s a dog. If he doesn’t want to come out of his box, he doesn’t come out of his box. You can’t negotiate. You have to understand the method and the methodology behind what we wanted to do. First we had to get with intelligent people that could figure it out and we just had to slowly, day-by-day, work for it. You need a lot of patience just, I mean it’s not that massive of a sequence but it took a lot. It’s probably the one that took the most prep.

So I guess the only CGI was removing the green groin pads?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Man and a coworker today was just saying the dogs obviously had to be cgi. YOU WERE WRONG!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    John Wick's core team (stunts, directors, art design, etc...) has finally demonstrated to Holloywood what Hong Kong has known for 45 years, you invest enough time and passion into something, the art speaks for itself.

Granted, Hollywood will never let Western productions go full Jackie Chan and do unlimited takes to get something perfect, but perhaps going forward they'll allow enough breathing room for stylish practical effects to go back to being the norm, than shitty rushed CGI.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Sadly I think John Wick's action will remain like the exclusive rights of Stahlenski and Leitch. Like it'll be partially imitated, but most other directors out there just won't have the passion/studio backing to get what these guys do.

Like they took 5! months to work with dogs to do a what 15 minute shoot out? I'm sure the money they spent on that could have made 15 Liam Neeson jumps over a fence movies.

I mean Polar tried to be John Wick but it was super awful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    There are things you can do to replicate Wickian action without going that crazy. The single most important aspect is the Hong Kong style arrangement of the action into at least three and more usually four “beats”, as opposed to the typical Hollywood style of at most two, more generally a single “beat” per shot. In Hollywood, a guy throws a punch, the next shot is the other guy receiving it! In the best shot action there’s a durational unity within the frame, John Wick shoots a guy (1), grabs the next guy (2), kicks a third guy (3), shoots the guy he grabbed (4), then you cut.

In my opinion four beats is the magic number when your brain understands it’s seeing real bodies in motion and conflict, and that’s important, but more important than hitting four every time is that now you’re editing (and framing) much more intentionally, so that the edits work with the actors and the environment and the choreography to find a rhythm that fits the scene, as opposed to just cut cut cut cut cut on every action. That gives you a flow and forces you to take a thoughtful approach to the scene, and the results can be spectacular.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    There are things you can do to replicate Wickian action without going that crazy. The single most important aspect is the Hong Kong style arrangement of the action into at least three and more usually four “beats”, as opposed to the typical Hollywood style of at most two, more generally a single “beat” per shot. In Hollywood, a guy throws a punch, the next shot is the other guy receiving it! In the best shot action there’s a durational unity within the frame, John Wick shoots a guy (1), grabs the next guy (2), kicks a third guy (3), shoots the guy he grabbed (4), then you cut.

In my opinion four beats is the magic number when your brain understands it’s seeing real bodies in motion and conflict, and that’s important, but more important than hitting four every time is that now you’re editing (and framing) much more intentionally, so that the edits work with the actors and the environment and the choreography to find a rhythm that fits the scene, as opposed to just cut cut cut cut cut on every action. That gives you a flow and forces you to take a thoughtful approach to the scene, and the results can be spectacular.

The problem again is this requires stars/stuntmen who can sell this kind of action. And directors/camera people who can shoot it, and with as lazy as hollywood is and how much audiences reward basic jump cutty action stuff that's a hard sell.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

The problem again is this requires stars/stuntmen who can sell this kind of action. And directors/camera people who can shoot it, and with as lazy as hollywood is and how much audiences reward basic jump cutty action stuff that's a hard sell.

I’m not saying it’s not hard. I’m saying that’s the middle ground between boring action and “we all trained every day with dogs for five months”. It’s achievable and there are productions that care enough to do this from time to time.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    So wait.

That was a really good story, but I mean when you're done, you've got five trained attack dogs. Like what then?

Are we getting a DC Beethoven movie?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    So wait.

That was a really good story, but I mean when you're done, you've got five trained attack dogs. Like what then?

Keanu has 5 dogs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    So wait.

Keanu has 5 dogs.

Or the director does or someone does. There was someone worried they put them down because the director said "you can't put them back into the wild" but like I think that just means they couldn't put them up for normal adoption.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong. Hell I'd take one of them. I don't even like green.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The only way to awaken John Wick to his True Self was to Winstonize him, aka, concordantly, ergo he is now the one

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    The only way to awaken John Wick to his True Self was to Winstonize him, aka, concordantly, ergo he is now the one

Now I'm having horrible flashbacks to seeing Matrix Reloaded opening night and being borderline forced into breaking down the Architect's ramble to my less math and/or philosophically inclined friends.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's likely Sofia will be back or get a spinoff, so just keeping the puppies as good puppies is likely the plan.

did I see one of the guys behind John Wick is in charge of Hobbs & Shaw? Like, I want to see everything this creative team has done now.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    It's likely Sofia will be back or get a spinoff, so just keeping the puppies as good puppies is likely the plan.

did I see one of the guys behind John Wick is in charge of Hobbs & Shaw? Like, I want to see everything this creative team has done now.

Yeah David Leitch (sp?) the uncredited Jw 1 director.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I still haven’t watched F8 (Fast and the Furious series spoiler incoming)
    I can’t really get past Shaw killing Han.

So a movie with Shaw as one of the “protagonists” tucking bothers me.

I get that Hobbs had no particular ties to Shaw but still.

Drez on
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah David Leitch (sp?) the uncredited Jw 1 director.

No, it’s David Lynch. JW1 actually meant nothing that you thought it meant and then it also meant the opposite of that too.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I still haven’t watched F8 (Fast and the Furious series spoiler incoming)
    I can’t really get past Shaw killing Han.

So a movie with Shaw as one of the “protagonists” tucking bothers me.

I get that Hobbs had no particular ties to Shaw but still.

F8 retconned Shaw a bit to be anti-hero at worst, it makes sense. It's the weakest of the 4 recent Furious movies but everything Transporter does is golden in it, and Statham should show up in John Wick 4 if only to be a driver who Wick gives a coin to take him from goon infested point A to goon infested point B with lots of goons to shoot in the street.