As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The John Wick Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The dog nut shots were due to the dogs having limited training. 6 (8? I forget) months of training.

Those dogs performed like that on 'limited training'? Good doggos.

Limited as in they were trained to play very aggressively. There are some articles about it earlier in the thread. I hope those doggos get to lead a happy life of chasing green balls.

They were adopted by some of the film makers.
    I heard they are fantastic doggos except if you come over do NOT wear green.

Because they might digitally change my outfit into a giant wiener?

No they are trained to attack green, they might turn your weiner into a chew toy.

You normally pay double for that kinda action, Cotton.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Something that doesn’t make sense to me in retrospect

-Winston gets John to help them defend the Continental
    -John murders an entire SWAT team of assassins pretty much single-handedly
    -Winston tells the Adjudicator that the High Table can expect more of the same, that they can never win this war
    -The Adjudicator marvels at Winston’s plan—to strengthen his bargaining position when returning to the fold
    -Winston shoots John and John falls off the roof

To the Adjudicator, John is either dead or furious at Winston for betraying him. John Wick being an ally of the Continental is why the SWAT team is dead and why Winston can credibly say he can win any war. But doesn’t Winston’s comparative advantage go off the roof when John does? Why wouldn’t the Adjudicator say, “Without John Wick you can’t stop us from killing you and taking this hotel. What a shame you just killed your best asset! Tell me why I shouldn’t just crush you now”?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

-Winston tells the Adjudicator that the High Table can expect more of the same, that they can never win this war
    -The Adjudicator marvels at Winston’s plan—to strengthen his bargaining position when returning to the fold

To the Adjudicator, John is either dead or furious at Winston for betraying him. John Wick being an ally of the Continental is why the SWAT team is dead and why Winston can credibly say he can win any war. But doesn’t Winston’s comparative advantage go off the roof when John does? Why wouldn’t the Adjudicator say, “Without John Wick you can’t stop us from killing you and taking this hotel. What a shame you just killed your best asset! Tell me why I shouldn’t just crush you now”?

The rules of Parley? Like they had effectively agreed to Winston's terms, and only needed Winston to resolve the Wick situation, so when he did that resolved their conflict with him?

One theme of the movies is most people seemingly want to return to their status quo once an incident has occurred. John killed Vigo and his son and returned home to go back to being retired. Santino had his sister killed and he wanted to just be on the table and that be the end of it, and Winston just wanted to keep the continental no matter the price.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The difference between Halle Berry and Shaq on Hot Ones is pretty telling.

• Options
    The difference between Halle Berry and Shaq on Hot Ones is pretty telling.

Man this diss on the poor bald guy, Shaq can't help that shit its genetic!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Truth be told I lost a lot of respect for Shaq after he refused to eat the wings but then forced the host to eat all of them with extra hot sauce.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Truth be told I lost a lot of respect for Shaq after he refused to eat the wings but then forced the host to eat all of them with extra hot sauce.

Same. He seemed like a bit of a jerk. Only slightly less eye rolling than DJ Kalid.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

They didn't take Winston back because he had John Wick, they took him back because he played a good game. He displayed the traits the High Table wants running the Continental. He is management, his interview process is never going to make sense to the working class.

• Options

They didn't take Winston back because he had John Wick, they took him back because he played a good game. He displayed the traits the High Table wants running the Continental. He is management, his interview process is never going to make sense to the working class.

I like this take.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Plus the whole reason they were pissed in the first place was that he didn't kill John last time, so that was the capstone he needed for his 'display of strength.'

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My question is where can John go now? He's betrayed the top guy. There can be no resolution unless he kills the entire high table and the top guy as well.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    My question is where can John go now? He's betrayed the top guy. There can be no resolution unless he kills the entire high table and the top guy as well.

As I said before, he either becomes the top guy, or dies. Maybe both (the legend of John Wick is almost more powerful than the man).

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    The next John Wick is going to be all of the assassins finally wising up and realizing that they can't beat John Wick, so they're just going to join him and overthrow management instead.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The next John Wick is going to be all of the assassins finally wising up and realizing that they can't beat John Wick, so they're just going to join him and overthrow management instead.

Or all of them suddenly having urgent vacation plans in the ass end of nowhere because there’s no upside for them choosing sides in a battle between Wick and The High Table.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Man, that first super tall assassin Earnest in the library... He must have thought realllyyyy highly of himself. "I'll just go attack this guy one on one. With only a knife. And I'll also announce my presence so he knows I'm there first."

There can't be very many assassins left at this point.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I have to imagine that either most of the assassins don't know Wick, or assume he retired because he couldn't hack it as an assassin and is thus easy meat.
    I'd guess, if it's the latter, these assassins have not read the retirement rider on their contracts.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I have to imagine that either most of the assassins don't know Wick, or assume he retired because he couldn't hack it as an assassin and is thus easy meat.
    I'd guess, if it's the latter, these assassins have not read the retirement rider on their contracts.

I think the exact opposite.

It seems like every single person knows John Wick. Like everyone. Even that cabbie knew him. It's kind of unfathomable to me that there would be any assassin that doesn't know Wick. He's like the exact inverse of omniscient.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

The Table? He gonna flip the bitch
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Options
    I was really surprised this movie wasn't about him trying to kill the high table. John Wick 2 ended with John saying "I'm gonna kill em all", but then apparently within an hour he changed his mind to beg forgiveness.

• Options
    NotYou wrote: »
    I was really surprised this movie wasn't about him trying to kill the high table. John Wick 2 ended with John saying "I'm gonna kill em all", but then apparently within an hour he changed his mind to beg forgiveness.

He said whoever who comes, which is how he dealt with it, everyone who came for john wick left in a body bag for the most part.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

He said whoever who comes, which is how he dealt with it, everyone who came for john wick left in a body bag for the most part.

Save Zero's two students. They limped away after an asskicking they'll tell their grandchildren about.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Save Zero's two students. They limped away after an asskicking they'll tell their grandchildren about.

Well they showed "honor" as much as one could say for a two on one.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Well they showed "honor" as much as one could say for a two on one.

They also could have killed him like three times and chose not to. I think they wanted to see if he could beat them even after slogging through all their other buddies plus murder-SWAT, moreso than wanting to just kill him outright. Once he got the upper hand, he basically returned the favor and let them walk away.

Anyway, I also think the end result of these films is going to be Wick wiping out the High Table and replacing them with his own people. He was strong-armed back into an official assassination due to a marker, but ultimately he was okay with that. However, most of his setup for that assassination was surviving the backstab he knew was coming, and he wasn't okay with that.

And what's the High Table's response to somebody putting a hit out on another High Table member and then backstabbing the assassin for doing his job? Go after anybody that touched Wick afterwards, despite Wick doing the one thing that would actually get Santino off his back permanently. The only thing Wick did that actually straight-up broke the rules was kill somebody in the Continental; apparently targeting a High Table member is perfectly acceptable, since Santino did that and got his sister's place as a reward.

More than likely, the High Table is just scared shitless of Wick actually enforcing the rules they claim to live by, and are trying to take him out so he can't enforce those same rules on them.

• Options
    John Wick deciding to cut off his finger and rejoin the fold was such a weird moment—I was like, wait a minute, this is who JW is? I was already well into the camp of “he should murder the whole High Table and remake the (under)world” but apparently I’m just ahead of Wick by at least a movie.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    John Wick deciding to cut off his finger and rejoin the fold was such a weird moment—I was like, wait a minute, this is who JW is? I was already well into the camp of “he should murder the whole High Table and remake the (under)world” but apparently I’m just ahead of Wick by at least a movie.

Yeah it seemed out of character.

But to be fair, he'd been serving them nearly his whole adult life. I can see that having an effect.

Although he certainly murdered one of the high table members pretty easily in the last movie.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

The Bowery King is fucking pissed at the high table. My guess is John teams up with him and his counterparts around the world.

Because don’t tell me there aren’t more BK equivalents in every major city.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Now that I've finally watched it:

Winston had to know that John was likely to survive and so I assume that was his intent. He knows he is wearing bulletproof clothing and yet only shot him in the body. He got his continental back and did so while giving John a chance to continue to escape because it's John Wick.

John was always going to go after the high table, it's obvious the second the camera focused on the top guy putting John's wedding ring in his pocket.

Ultimately John had to do something. He already had a $7 million bounty on him and it was only doubled by killing Santino. I have to imagine he'd have been made Ex-communicado for killing Santino wherever he did it, but I don't know how it works because John killed Santino's sister and Common knows about it, and others openly know about Santino's marker. I was a bit sad Ruby Rose and Common didn't return.

But without doing anything he just spends his life fighting. The Table is clearly everywhere and involved in everything, there is no escape for him and even he will eventually just get tired. I'm surprised he didn't just kill the top guy and immediately announce he was going after the table though, it seems like a little bit of logic stretching to get him to join Morpheus.

I'm also sad that Carrie Ann Moss didn't play the Adjudicator. She'd have done a better job too.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Regarding this:
    I was a bit sad Ruby Rose and Common didn't return.

I was at first too, but remember that this happens literally the night after he stuck his knife in where he stuck it. They would need time to recuperate.

I expect them to be back on John Wick 4 and I have a feeling Wick will recruit both of them. They are ronin now, essentially.

I bet there's a time skip between JW3 and JW4 considering how 3 ends. I'm betting not a huge one, though. Maybe only 2 weeks. Though it could be longer - perhaps enough time for Winston to rebuild and restablish himself. Wick doesn't exactly need to rush right now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Regarding this:
    I was a bit sad Ruby Rose and Common didn't return.

I was at first too, but remember that this happens literally the night after he stuck his knife in where he stuck it. They would need time to recuperate.

I expect them to be back on John Wick 4 and I have a feeling Wick will recruit both of them. They are ronin now, essentially.

I bet there's a time skip between JW3 and JW4 considering how 3 ends. I'm betting not a huge one, though. Maybe only 2 weeks. Though it could be longer - perhaps enough time for Winston to rebuild and restablish himself. Wick doesn't exactly need to rush right now.

Good point, it's easy to forget that it's like 60 minutes later in the film.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Based on what John said in 2 with the first knife stick, I don't think Ruby Rose is coming back.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Based on what John said in 2 with the first knife stick, I don't think Ruby Rose is coming back.

He gives Common the option to survive, because he respects him as a man of honor and a worthy opponent.

He shows Ruby Rose none of the same courtesy, because she has none of that same honor and therefore is not worthy of his respect.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    John also hates deaf people, you see it in the movie because he shoves a pencil in a mans ear, thereby saying "FUCK YOU DEAF PEOPLE!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

He went from mourning his wife who had just died to all the bullshit in the movies over a course of like two weeks or something, right? So his life fell apart twice and he lost everything but a photograph hidden in a book and a good dog, both of which have to be kept away from him for safekeeping. Dude was broken, physically, mentally, emotionally, utterly. And then that High Table ruler, seeing a man drowning in despair, already sinking into the waters having run out of energy to even tread water, offers him a single breath of air in exchange for being his murder-slave for the rest of his life. Wick was so hopeless that he took the offer, but it reflects more on how despicable the High Table is and how they need to be utterly wiped out.

• Options
    I gotta be honest I didn't think the Ruby Rose character was all that compelling. And her action sequences left a lot to be desired. But maybe that's just me.

• Options
    I gotta be honest I didn't think the Ruby Rose character was all that compelling. And her action sequences left a lot to be desired. But maybe that's just me.

Nah I'm with you, she wasn't super terrible, but what limited bits of action she was involved in was nothing compared to Common or Halle Berry in JW3.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Yeah, she's super-dead, dunno why anyone would expect her back.

• Options

Yeah, she's super-dead, dunno why anyone would expect her back.

She didn't pull it out and said "Ill be seeing you". I wasn't really clear if she was dead or alive in that last scene of her.

She's not essential as a character, I just like the unique characters.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    He pulled it out.

• Options
    Did he? Jeez, I've never noticed that.

• Options
    Did he? Jeez, I've never noticed that.

I dunno how you missed it, like he specifically pulls it out and you hear it clink on the ground. That's why he replies "sure" to her be seeing you, because he knows she will not be.

pleasepaypreacher.net