As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The John Wick Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I just loved in the second one "Gas leak?" "Gas Leak". Makes me wish there was a short film of like the cleaners talking to the police post John Wick.

"So..."

"Murder cult killed themselves."

"All over the city."

"Yep."

*sigh*

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    "you ever hear of the Judeo People's Front?"

• Options
    Honestly an aspect that could come into play because of all the open blatant murders in front of civilians is its exposing the continental/high table to the plebs too much. Like the Table has to deal with it because like state and federal governments can't ignore the 250+ john has killed. "Guys sort your shit out its spilling into the real world."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah I'm sure people would be shocked to hear a mass shooting happened in the US

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Why do you think they "shoot" movies in NYC all the time? *tin foil hat*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I just watched this. The adjudicator is Halle Barry's daughter, right? That's gonna happen.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Halle Barry's not old enough for the adjudicator to be her daughter.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Also the Adjudicator is non-binary, so they wouldn't be anyone's daughter.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Offspring, then?

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I take it back. Looking up their ages, Halle Berry IS technically old enough to be the adjudicator's mother.

Still, I kinda doubt it.

RT800 on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Magus` wrote: »
    Offspring, then?
    Or at least she would stop being someone's daughter the moment she realized she was non-binary.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    I highly doubt the adjucator is related to Berry's character.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Adjucator being Berry's daughter goes against her giving Wick the token to hide her from the underworld.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah I imagine John sent her daughter to live with a nice couple who he probably murdered the kid of.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't get non-binary. Like, I don't judge it, you do you. But I also didn't pick up on it at all, and when I see posts about my reaction is "What?"

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    The daughter is that ballet dancer which was prominently focused on

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    That’s not exactly what I’d call getting her out.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    The daughter is that ballet dancer which was prominently focused on

Doubtful, like that lady seems to be the kind of person you end up with when you don't have other options. I really doubt the boogeyman did that. If anything we'll see Charon has a daughter and there you go.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    He obviously left her in the care of his good pal Kiddo, she's got a daughter of her own of about the same age.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    He obviously left her in the care of his good pal Kiddo, she's got a daughter of her own of about the same age.

The Kill Bill John Wick cross over event, no feet unstared at!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

People keep saying this in the thread, but I don't think it's stated anywhere in the film. Unless I missed something?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

People keep saying this in the thread, but I don't think it's stated anywhere in the film. Unless I missed something?

It's not. The actor is and they kept their orientation for the character.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    My bad. Not misgendering anyone. The adjudicator was not presented with gender pronouns. Sorry.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Honestly I never heard of the actor before this and had no idea either until I read stuff about the movie after seeing it. I'm not sure how one would convey that information within the movie without it being hamfisted.

Aistan on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It really fits with the adjudicator as a force of nature.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Just got out of this myself.

Fuck that was good.

Enjoyed the adjucator being non-binary. Always nice to have representation on the screen (though I'm a very male presenting non binary myself. You can't take my beard, damnit).

Loved the use of color and light - I think I'd have liked a daylight fight or two though?

The shinboi were great and nicely spooky/threatening. Zero was such an adorably disturbing fanboy.

Really liked the armored mooks too, and the way the armor actually you know... Worked like armor. Without them being untouchable either.

Damn. What a fucking great movie

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Honestly I never heard of the actor before this and had no idea either until I read stuff about the movie after seeing it. I'm not sure how one would convey that information within the movie without it being hamfisted.

Yeah it wasn't referenced in the film at all.

Like, it's great that they are willing to publicly state that this is the case with the character. But it's not information that's presented in the movie itself. So it has a bit of a J.K. Rowling feel, even though they should at least get credit for saying something while the movie is actually in theaters.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "JK Rowling it" is saying something that was obviously not present during the actual creation of the product as truth long after the fact as ad-hoc "representation."

Even though it was never explicitly stated by characters in the film, the Adjudicator was known to the cast and crew as non-binary during production of the film.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Not everything has to be spelled out in the text if it's not relevant to the story. We don't know the orientations of a lot of the characters. It wasn't a big deal*, they were just there being who they were and performing their role in the story like anyone else.

JK Rowling makes up stuff after the fact and acts like it's representation.

*E: to their character's role in the story, I should clarify.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Pretty cool to have The Penguin in the movie too. I'm assuming the character was intended to be non gendered.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how one would convey that information within the movie without it being hamfisted.
    Exactly. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of situation. If you just have a nonbinary character without making a big deal about it, like in this movie, people complain that it wasn't obvious enough and that they couldn't figure out that the character was nonbinary and they accuse the film of pulling a "Dumbledore was gay all along" thing. If you have a nonbinary character and then the movie pauses for ten seconds for someone to say "oh no, they sent an Adjudicator, who by the way is nonbinary, did you know that?" then people would accuse the film of dumping unnecessary information on us and pandering to the SJWs. The movie doesn't pause to say "by the way, John Wick is a man" or anything like that. There's no reason for anyone to just start listing anyone's gender.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Also, FYI, for anyone who has people who haven't seen JW1 and JW2, but just want a recap, the ones that Alamo Drafthouse uses from the "Birth. Movies. Death." channel are brilliant.

Warning, they have some of the JW violence in them for the recaps:

JW1:
    JW2:

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    The naming of the concept bugs me because I 100% got gay subtext from Dumbledore and Grindelwald the first time I read it

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how one would convey that information within the movie without it being hamfisted.
    Exactly. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of situation. If you just have a nonbinary character without making a big deal about it, like in this movie, people complain that it wasn't obvious enough and that they couldn't figure out that the character was nonbinary and they accuse the film of pulling a "Dumbledore was gay all along" thing. If you have a nonbinary character and then the movie pauses for ten seconds for someone to say "oh no, they sent an Adjudicator, who by the way is nonbinary, did you know that?" then people would accuse the film of dumping unnecessary information on us and pandering to the SJWs. The movie doesn't pause to say "by the way, John Wick is a man" or anything like that. There's no reason for anyone to just start listing anyone's gender.

You don't have to have a conversation about it. In fact it would be very much in keeping with the John Wick ethos if the characters talked about the Adjudicator using "they/theirs" pronouns without any other comment. Like most of the rest of the world-building, you can present it without explaining it or discussing it.

Also, this isn't a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, because on the one hand taking 10 seconds to make it explicit would make an almost totally unrepresented group feel represented, and on the other hand people who accuse movies of pandering to SJWs can get fucked

It's really more of a "great if you do, damned if you don't" situation

Particularly because a movie like John Wick is like a whole bulletstorm of sugar to help the medicine of learning other types of people exist go down

Given its target audience, it's probably much more socially useful for John Wick to spread awareness about non-binary people than for some indie drama to do it

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options

I don't believe there was anyone complaining about it in that direction. The only thing I saw was, for example, me apologizing for misgendering the person when it wasn't pointed out that the female born, femme-presenting, female named person was non-binary.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Just saw it.

It was okay.

This movie really lost a lot of creativity with its fights halfway through. First few minutes has death by book and a knife throwing scene that had the entire theater rolling and cheering.

Then Wick goes abroad and it's like, what the fuck, there's a vat of molten gold right there! HOW DO YOU NOT THROW A DUDE INTO IT!? Come on, movie.

I think the only fight I enjoyed in the latter half was the two fanboys, because it at least answered the question for me of 'does Wick leave anyone alive, even if they're just enemies by circumstance and honorable'.

We did the mirror hall thing in the last movie so meh. I'm disappointed he didn't cave someone's skull in with one of those crystal skulls.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    You know I see the "holding a book in front of someone's face and punching the book into their face" thing in a lot of fight scenes.

Is that a thing? It seems like it would be better to just hit them with your fist.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    You know I see the "holding a book in front of someone's face and punching the book into their face" thing in a lot of fight scenes.

Is that a thing? It seems like it would be better to just hit them with your fist.

It seems like it should not work at all. That was dumb.

But then he used it to dislocate a dude's jaw and break his neck so I'll forgive it.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Hitting with your fist is the bad idea part. Human hands have lots of itsy bitsy bones that are easily broken. That's why fighters tape their hands and use gloves. Even then hand breaks and fractures are quite common for pros.

Hitting with the book works great if it's a nice heavy hardback book.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    I would figure larger harder surface area would make striking the book into someones face a decent move if you have to improvise. Also less likely to hurt your hand on their jaw as silly as that might sound.

pleasepaypreacher.net