As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The John Wick Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wanted to touch on something here;
    Athenor wrote: »
    We're at most 3-4 weeks out from his wife's death. We're likely 3-4 days out from his excommunication at this point. He hasn't had much time to think, in the grand scheme of things.

On some level, I hope the 4th movie establishes a bit of time passing.

It reminds me of my old high school RPG campaigns, where we started off having one mission or quest follow immediately on the heels of the last one. This led to these slightly odd interactions with the game mechanics where level 1 characters would become level 5 or 6, becoming hardened veterans of a dozen brutal life or death encounters, across the span of, like, 2 weeks. Even in a setting with magic and super science, having major cybernetic reconstruction and mastering the mystic arts over a long weekend began to strain some credulity, so I started throwing weeks and months long gaps in between them, even if the next session was the following weekend. It helped give a better sense of progression, of characters more naturally healing, recovering, learning from their experiences, getting some downtime in.

I get that these movies have kind of an unrelenting momentum to them, but with a 2 year pause (assuming they hit that 2021 target), perhaps the next one doesn't need to see him survive another half dozen fatal wounds with the last half dozen still basically fresh from the previous long weekend.

He's been ground down to nothing but that oft mentioned will and determination. After a 15 story swan dive, I wouldn't be surprised if the next one takes place months later, with John recuperating and the new arrangement taking hold in the world above.

I love that they make an effort to show so much for us, but a little telling is okay now and then too. They've earned it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    "JK Rowling it" is saying something that was obviously not present during the actual creation of the product as truth long after the fact as ad-hoc "representation."

Even though it was never explicitly stated by characters in the film, the Adjudicator was known to the cast and crew as non-binary during production of the film.

This was news to me as well, but I think it helps to back that up a bit by having a non-binary person playing the role.

It's one thing when someone is like 'oh that character is totally bi/gay/whatever' but played by an (as far as the public knows) straight actor or actress, but having a non-binary character played by a non-binary actor(? I suppose, I guess it's gendered but feels closer to neutral than Actress, which is probably my heteronormivity showing) fits a lot better for such a declaration.

Between the earrings and nail polish I didn't jump to non-binary myself, but I also had zero familiarity with the actor's previous works or who they were at all.

... honestly, at a momentary glance in their introductory sequence, I thought it was Carrie Anne Moss, and laughed out loud at the notion of them taking this Matrix reunion one step further.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I mean, by the actor's own words, the Adjudicator was dressed a bit more femme-presenting, but that's cool because it pushes back against the stale idea of androgynous clothing = masculine clothing.

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    The other big missed opportunity in this movie after not having a mook go into a vat of molten gold was John Wick not killing Zero with one of the stabby chess pieces in the glass house. I was so sure that was going to happen.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The other big missed opportunity in this movie after not having a mook go into a vat of molten gold was John Wick not killing Zero with one of the stabby chess pieces in the glass house. I was so sure that was going to happen.

Yeah I was definitely expecting those pieces to be used as a weapon at some point by somebody.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yeah I was definitely expecting those pieces to be used as a weapon at some point by somebody.

It seemed like an obvious thing, especially since they had gone through the effort to kick people through nearly every glass wall in that area.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think the director likes teasing people with potential awful deaths and not doing them. Like the molten gold, or the chess pieces.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    So the one weapon John Wick won't fire is Chekhov's gun?

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Just not every Chekov's gun.

He already used Greco Roman wrestling, his belt, a cludged together Colt navy revolver, a shit load of knives, a motorcycle, and cut off a finger with a chisel.

What more do you want?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    That's nothing. I once saw him kill three men in a bar... with a pencil.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Russad wrote: »

Sadly, Denzel did him one better by killing 5 guys using a whiskey glass and 2 cork screws in The Equalizer

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    After sleeping on the movie, I want to say I liked it but honestly 2 and 3 don't come close to matching the full package that is John Wick 1. I like the world building, but I don't feel like 2 and 3 feel like completely cohesive movies on their own. 2 was a little more together than 3, but I liked 3's fights more (fuck yeah Mark Dacascos). Probably also because both movies end in cliffhanger endings as well. Everything with Halle Berry's character and the side adventure in Casblanca & the desert felt like it could have been accomplished in other ways. Don't get me wrong, those scenes were great, but they felt like I suddenly swerved into another John Wick movie at that point if that makes any sense. I do hope they bring back her character because at this point she's probably as much on the outs as John is, and Halle was awesome in this.

Also Game of Thrones S8 spoilers for a shared actor
    So that's why Bronn was the master of coin. Oooooh.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Russad wrote: »

Sadly, Denzel did him one better by killing 5 guys using a whiskey glass and 2 cork screws in The Equalizer

Eh Denzel used a gun, a knife, a bottle. Like Equalizer is an entertaining movie, but Wick has way more of a body count on camera and doesn't need slowmo do to do his murderjitsu.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Just not every Chekov's gun.

He already used Greco Roman wrestling, his belt, a cludged together Colt navy revolver, a shit load of knives, a motorcycle, and cut off a finger with a chisel.

What more do you want?

I'd like to see him bludgeon someone with one of those crystal skulls.
    Also, more horse kicks.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I didn't care for this movie at all. It felt unnecessary and the heart that drove the original wasn't present.

• Options
    I didn't care for this movie at all. It felt unnecessary and the heart that drove the original wasn't present.

I feel the same way about your posts, I WANT A DIVORCE!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I do think John Wick the first was the best movie in part because it didn't need to stop and explain anything. It could build up a huge, cool world and leave lots of gaps, sure no prior established universe to adhere to. The new movies have to maintain continuity which restrains them sightly.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Funnily I think that's one reason I liked this movie more. Like, the idea that I'm only supposed to enjoy Keanu Reeves shooting a bunch of people if he has a good reason for it just strikes me as so silly. I'm watching these movies to see the fights, not because I care about the emotional arc of a guy who just lost a wife whose name I can't remember and a dog that didn't even have a name. The story in these movies is thinner than Oliver Twist's breakfast gruel and the only interesting thing about it is the wacky baroque assassin shit they've added on as the sequels have piled up. The story in the original John Wick is so transparently manipulative that I find it hard to get fired up.

I totally get the opposite view, though. I'm not trying to say anyone's wrong for liking the first one way more because it has a heart, as opposed to the second which is sort of neither here nor there, or the third one which is in full on goofball mode. That's just not how I feel at all.

• Options
    Daisy the dog that started all of this was named Daisy YOU HEARTLESS MONSTER!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Just saw it.

It was okay.

This movie really lost a lot of creativity with its fights halfway through. First few minutes has death by book and a knife throwing scene that had the entire theater rolling and cheering.

Then Wick goes abroad and it's like, what the fuck, there's a vat of molten gold right there! HOW DO YOU NOT THROW A DUDE INTO IT!? Come on, movie.

I think the only fight I enjoyed in the latter half was the two fanboys, because it at least answered the question for me of 'does Wick leave anyone alive, even if they're just enemies by circumstance and honorable'.

We did the mirror hall thing in the last movie so meh. I'm disappointed he didn't cave someone's skull in with one of those crystal skulls.

They were having to much fun having dogs chomp the nether regions of bad guys to worry about dunking them in gold. Still it was a good demonstration of why when a K9 officer says come out or I am sending the dog in after you that you should promptly come out with your hands up slowly.

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    You know I see the "holding a book in front of someone's face and punching the book into their face" thing in a lot of fight scenes.

Is that a thing? It seems like it would be better to just hit them with your fist.

Actually I can kinda see it a bit not so much that it would hurt your opponent more but would be at least a bit of protection for your own hand and maybe less likely to get a bone fragment or infection in your own hand? Given the other stuff he was doing with the books I will go with if john wick wants to book punch you then he should feel free to express himself.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »
    You know I see the "holding a book in front of someone's face and punching the book into their face" thing in a lot of fight scenes.

Is that a thing? It seems like it would be better to just hit them with your fist.

Actually I can kinda see it a bit not so much that it would hurt your opponent more but would be at least a bit of protection for your own hand and maybe less likely to get a bone fragment or infection in your own hand? Given the other stuff he was doing with the books I will go with if john wick wants to book punch you then he should feel free to express himself.

John was just workshopping a more aggressive reading rainbow.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    I do think the first was the best, mostly because of how much it left to the imagination. It threw some worldbuilding at you but didn't worry too much about explaining it. I went to the first one having never seen a trailer for it based solely on seeing a summary of "they killed his dog and took his car" and it met my expectations 120%. I will see John Wick 4 through 200, so long as they continue to deliver on the promise they have made.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It's interesting rewatching JW1 currently -it's so much smaller in scale. Not just in a budget sense, but in the world building sense too. It's unclear how much of that is the budget at the time/keeping self self-contained and then doubling down on what worked when it was successful, vs just not having the scope for what they wanted to do in the first movie.

I think i prefer the baroque expanse of the 2nd and 3rd movies, but i can definitely see the argument for preferring the first.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The first movie is a more contained affair. He's after a specific target/family and he has a set goal. 2 and 3 are more nebulous its the "hand reaching out to pull him back in" that winston warned about.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

As a rule, punching a person in the face with your fist is a terrible idea. A hand is made of a network of cables across a pile of teeny little bones, whereas a skull is a heavy-duty chunk of fused bone that is expressly for absorbing impacts without breaking. I don't know what the book thing would do in terms of damage to the punchee, but it would have to be better than hitting the skull for the the puncher. If nothing else, you can hit the book flat-on with your knuckles instead of mashing your hand bones one at a time into an irregularly-shaped skull.

Anyway, saw this movie over the weekend and, while the first film is still definitely the strongest, I'm impressed with how they're managing to keep the action sequences fresh and interesting. Not to mention that these films just swim in awesome settings for fights; the most mundane spot they've had a fight so far is, what, a big garage? Pretty much everywhere else that things happen looks amazing. The ongoing world-building is interesting, but I could do with it being less at the forefront; I enormously preferred how we got handed bits and pieces of things like in the first film, rather than making the story itself about this society of assassins. This third film had the most intensive action sequences, but also the least personal motivation for Wick; everything is about consequences from the last film, and the film strains to give Wick anything to fight for. It'll be nice in the next film to have Wick actually motivated to shoot some people now that he's been super-ultra-crossed.

One thing that does bug me though is how these fights just go on and on and the participants have apparently superhuman stamina. Whereas the first film kept the sequences limited enough to be very believable, the third film expands fights for so long that it would be absurd for Wick or anyone else to not collapse from exhaustion by the end. They have one fight at the end where Wick is visibly wearing down, but this is only after killing dozens of armored soldiers (many via exhausting hand-to-hand combat). And then the final fight after that has no indication of him being tired, despite getting to rest for only a minute or two.

And man oh man, did I get a real kick when they asked John what he needed and he pulled out the line from The Matrix. Was not expecting that, and it was a good laugh. Also, what was the deal with the nutshots? There was like twenty of them in this film, it was pretty unrelenting. And the assassins have to be running out of people by now, at least in the NYC area. Between Wick and the Adjudicator's minions, there's got to be hundreds of them dead at this point. Numbers have to be getting pretty lean by now.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    And the assassins have to be running out of people by now, at least in the NYC area. Between Wick and the Adjudicator's minions, there's got to be hundreds of them dead at this point. Numbers have to be getting pretty lean by now.

Well something that kinda irritates me about the world-building they've done is that evidently almost everyone John walks past on the street is either an assassin themselves or somehow assassin-adjacent. It's like there are no normal, law-abiding people in this world.

RT800 on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The dog nut shots were due to the dogs having limited training. 6 (8? I forget) months of training.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The dog nut shots were due to the dogs having limited training. 6 (8? I forget) months of training.

Those dogs performed like that on 'limited training'? Good doggos.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Limited as in they were trained to play very aggressively. There are some articles about it earlier in the thread. I hope those doggos get to lead a happy life of chasing green balls.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

Limited as in they were trained to play very aggressively. There are some articles about it earlier in the thread. I hope those doggos get to lead a happy life of chasing green balls.

They were adopted by some of the film makers.
    I heard they are fantastic doggos except if you come over do NOT wear green.

• Options
    I liked how Halle Berry said thing she learned in John Wick 3 she took home to train her labridoodles to be vicious attack dogs. You do you Halle.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Because they might digitally change my outfit into a giant wiener?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

No they are trained to attack green, they might turn your weiner into a chew toy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

As a rule, punching a person in the face with your fist is a terrible idea. A hand is made of a network of cables across a pile of teeny little bones, whereas a skull is a heavy-duty chunk of fused bone that is expressly for absorbing impacts without breaking. I don't know what the book thing would do in terms of damage to the punchee, but it would have to be better than hitting the skull for the the puncher. If nothing else, you can hit the book flat-on with your knuckles instead of mashing your hand bones one at a time into an irregularly-shaped skull.

Anyway, saw this movie over the weekend and, while the first film is still definitely the strongest, I'm impressed with how they're managing to keep the action sequences fresh and interesting. Not to mention that these films just swim in awesome settings for fights; the most mundane spot they've had a fight so far is, what, a big garage? Pretty much everywhere else that things happen looks amazing. The ongoing world-building is interesting, but I could do with it being less at the forefront; I enormously preferred how we got handed bits and pieces of things like in the first film, rather than making the story itself about this society of assassins. This third film had the most intensive action sequences, but also the least personal motivation for Wick; everything is about consequences from the last film, and the film strains to give Wick anything to fight for. It'll be nice in the next film to have Wick actually motivated to shoot some people now that he's been super-ultra-crossed.

One thing that does bug me though is how these fights just go on and on and the participants have apparently superhuman stamina. Whereas the first film kept the sequences limited enough to be very believable, the third film expands fights for so long that it would be absurd for Wick or anyone else to not collapse from exhaustion by the end. They have one fight at the end where Wick is visibly wearing down, but this is only after killing dozens of armored soldiers (many via exhausting hand-to-hand combat). And then the final fight after that has no indication of him being tired, despite getting to rest for only a minute or two.

And man oh man, did I get a real kick when they asked John what he needed and he pulled out the line from The Matrix. Was not expecting that, and it was a good laugh. Also, what was the deal with the nutshots? There was like twenty of them in this film, it was pretty unrelenting. And the assassins have to be running out of people by now, at least in the NYC area. Between Wick and the Adjudicator's minions, there's got to be hundreds of them dead at this point. Numbers have to be getting pretty lean by now.

I think the end game is wick kills the high table and job lots of assassins to the point a new high table is setup and they make peace with wick in return for him returning to retirement. Its bad for business if you lose armies worth of trained killers every time a puppy dies.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

No they are trained to attack green, they might turn your weiner into a chew toy.

Who hasn't

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Preacher wrote: »

Who hasn't

Look, it was one time...

Edit; this may be the one time my avatar actually fits the post's content.

Forar on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Jesus christ, she wasn't kidding when she said she came for dinner. She cleaned those bones while most guests just take a nibble and pull a face. Barely flinched at even the meanest sauces, too.

... now I want Keanu to be a guest on Hot Ones.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Jesus christ, she wasn't kidding when she said she came for dinner. She cleaned those bones while most guests just take a nibble and pull a face. Barely flinched at even the meanest sauces, too.

... now I want Keanu to be a guest on Hot Ones.

Yeah they gave her a trophy but she fucking earned it. Like she put on some theatrics and like choking with some of the later stuff, but still ate that chicken. I'm pretty sure she wasn't lying she was hungry.

I'd like to see Keanu as well, but nothing about him screams "I like spicy food", but he'd be a great regular interview kind of guy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net