As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Force march shouldn't allow a retreat, that might even be a bug? Like that is settled law in Total War.

The new rule seems to be that armies in forced march can't reinforce or be reinforced, but can retreat to make up for it.

Untrue, as I have had armies force march explicitly to reinforce my other armies in a battle taking place that turn

So yeah, either a bug or a problem, either or

Thanks for correcting me! My friend passed me this information after I ended a campaign in frustration due to my faction leader getting widowed by to refusing to reinforce his wife's army right next to him

The best theory I've found while googling is that it might have been a night battle. Supposedly armies will neither reinforce or be reinforced during those.

Yeah, if it’s a night battle you need another army led by someone with the night battle skill, otherwise they can’t reinforce

I’ve never managed to do this myself!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Force march shouldn't allow a retreat, that might even be a bug? Like that is settled law in Total War.

The new rule seems to be that armies in forced march can't reinforce or be reinforced, but can retreat to make up for it.

Untrue, as I have had armies force march explicitly to reinforce my other armies in a battle taking place that turn

So yeah, either a bug or a problem, either or

Thanks for correcting me! My friend passed me this information after I ended a campaign in frustration due to my faction leader getting widowed by to refusing to reinforce his wife's army right next to him

The best theory I've found while googling is that it might have been a night battle. Supposedly armies will neither reinforce or be reinforced during those.

Yeah, if it’s a night battle you need another army led by someone with the night battle skill, otherwise they can’t reinforce

I’ve never managed to do this myself!

I think it's just another example of the UI not being as clear as I'd like. In TWW there is a very clear "Ambushed!" graphic whenever it happens, while in this I didn't notice anything different except the balance of power.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting to do night battles on offense. Its a -15 morale penalty to the defender, so you should always night battle unless you need reinforcements on your side.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Oh Yuan Shao, everyone is memeing about you becoming an unstoppable vassalization machine...

...but you maybe should have waited to wardec me until you had actually started doing any of that.

Welp Han Empire and randos in Central China, you get to live a little longer because someone really overstepped their bounds. Did you really want the rest of Dong commandery that badly?
    To everyone surprise, this ended quite hilariously for all involved.

I peaced out the randos to the south and rotated my armies up north. By the time I got up there, one of Yuan Shao's armies had just started moving onto the temple south west of Dong commandery. Unfortunately, they ran straight into Zhang Fei and Liu Bei in ambush stance. Then, after retreating in tatters, they still got caught by the same stack along with a border defense army that had managed to march over and get into range and got obliterated.

Guan Yu and Xiahou Dun separately pushed up on the western side and took out one of the OPMs in Yuan Shao's coalition.

Then, Yuan Shao converted his coalition into an alliance, somehow roped in Dong Min, as well as...Gongsun Zan, who joins the war. That's less than ideal. Luckily, while Kong Rong is also in the alliance, my ongoing trade and military access seem to be keeping him pacified enough that he's unwilling to join.

I say "oh, uh, I think I need some friends". Sun Jian's off having adventures to the south and pulling people into his orbit. Everyone to the north is either at war with me, dislikes me, or is so weak that it's a liability to ally with them. Somehow, though, a certain pretender is doing quite well for himself squatting in the ruins of Luoyang...so yes, out of desperation and lack of other options, I form an alliance with Yuan Shu.

Oh, and then inexplicably Lu Bu shows up in the recruitment pool, as I posted earlier. Well, there's no gains without risk, so sign me up.

Meanwhile, I slam three stacks into Dong commandery and take the province finally. Somehow, the defending army managed to slip out the backdoor even though I had a siege going on. I don't believe that was allowed in TWW, so that's interesting behavior to take note of. The balance of power has shifted enough that Gongsun Zan decides he doesn't want any part of this and sues for peace and I happily let him off the hook. The next turn, Yuan Shao also begs for peace, but I'm annoyed enough to want to punish him more.

Meanwhile, one of the randos has wardec'd me in the south, so I start recruiting Lu Bu (and his insane for this part of the game 11k recruitment cost) to task him to restore order to the area.

4 turns later, I make it across the river and sack Henei's capital. Then I sack it again in the same turn. Then I sack it twice more the following turn, to send a goddamn message. In the peace treaty, Yuan Shao kneels and accepts vassalization, while I pay him slightly to make the deal palatable (and then steal the cash right back per turn).

Lu Bu + another officer vs an officer+their retinue and a 9 card garrison works out about as predictably as you'd expect. Lu Bu and his 70+ satisfaction is an absolute beast and I'm going to look forward to continue unleashing him.

And then, just to put the cherry on top, Gongsun Zan voluntarily offers vassalization on his turn. He asks for a guarantee of autonomy back...but I'm able to instead just give him fat stacks of rice to get him to accept with no guarantee.

I strongly suspect I will be clicking the Annex button on my turn. Both Gongsun Zan and Zhao Yun added to my roster immediately, as well as a huge swath of China all the way to Korea? It's soooooo tempting...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Honestly. My protectors of heaven feel pretty sturdy as long as they don't get crossbow rained. Anything but crossbows (I guess catapults are not great either, but hey).
    Though I have to say that my new favorite infantry are Yellow dragons. They're fast, have big shields and are hilariously good at cutting down low-tier infantry.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Did leaders really duel in China? Streamer Burke Black answers the tough question:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PiercingOutstandingClipsmomAMPEnergy

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    I managed to hold a valley with one full army against 3 peasant armies with ambushes
    Ambushing is really fun

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are the mercs really good

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Did leaders really duel in China? Streamer Burke Black answers the tough question:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PiercingOutstandingClipsmomAMPEnergy

Records show that Lu Bu did at least once!

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Finally nailed the start on Zheng Jiang. I managed to befriend both Yuan Shao and Zhang Yan enough that neither declared war on me at first. I mopped up the little one town dudes and then Dong Min wanted to make peace. I figured fine, I still have some cleaning up to do. I coalitioned with Yuan Shu, because he was making deals with me and it didn't obligate me to war with anyone new. Zhang Yan finally declares war out of nowhere like usual but I'm two full commanderies now, and he has the last piece of my third. Also he has been losing to Yuan Shao for a few turns. I feel like i'm gonna get my thir commandery and then I can find an enemy of Yuan Shao to join with to blow his spot up.

Also I married a dude early and have two sons to keep my legacy going, although it's upsetting my friend who is still my heir. Also that general who everyone hates stuck around forever until an event captured him and i let him get executed to just not have his whiny ass around anymore.

Zheng Jiang is a monster in battles. I just beeline for the enemy generals and kill them one by one and rout their army. My greatest victory in battle was Zheng Jiang as my only not withdrawing unit fighting and routing most of an army that had three dead generals. I love my bandit queen

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    One neat thing is that traits are tied to faction leaders rather than factions, so if you can kill Yuan Sho you stop all his bullshit. Same with Zheng Jiang, Cao Cao, Liu Bei...

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    What formations you have access to is determined by whether you have a Strategist in your army. Level 1 Strategist gives Loose, and level 3 unlocks everything else (I think). Its unlocked for all the units in the army, not just the Strategist retinue.

This isn't explicitly explained anywhere (the strategist description mentions it but doesn't explain how it works), so don't worry that you missed it.

And I think wedge is a trait on some generals.

• Options
    So querstion? Does anyone here play at 2k resolution? I'm trying and theres a weird thing where my cursor placement is off.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    What formations you have access to is determined by whether you have a Strategist in your army. Level 1 Strategist gives Loose, and level 3 unlocks everything else (I think). Its unlocked for all the units in the army, not just the Strategist retinue.

This isn't explicitly explained anywhere (the strategist description mentions it but doesn't explain how it works), so don't worry that you missed it.

There are also some followers that grant specific formations. I've got a Military Expert who unlocks Turtle formation.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Yeah the followers are an alternative to get formations in an army without a strategist, and they're really nice if you want to try an army comp without a strategist.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    So querstion? Does anyone here play at 2k resolution? I'm trying and theres a weird thing where my cursor placement is off.

I've had that happen once or twice. Usually you just quit and reopen the game. My big problem with 1440p is how freaking tiny the UI is even at 130%. Modifying the config file directly doesn't even work.

• Options

Yeah the followers are an alternative to get formations in an army without a strategist, and they're really nice if you want to try an army comp without a strategist.

Yeah as it is strategists are WAY too valuable for me not to have in every army

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options

Flaming shot artillery makes strategists a no brainer for me by itself, then add fire arrows and formations on top of that.

}
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    What unit size does everyone use? I usually go for the maximum, but 240 in a unit seems like an awful lot.

• Options

Flaming shot artillery makes strategists a no brainer for me by itself, then add fire arrows and formations on top of that.

Flaming shot artillery feels less useful to me than the standard shot, the accuracy penalty just stinks

But the flaming arrows, holy crap those things destroy morale

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

I've had this at least once tabbing out and back in (and I think specifically during start up).

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    What unit size does everyone use? I usually go for the maximum, but 240 in a unit seems like an awful lot.

Wait what?

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Perdurabo wrote: »

Wait what?

In the settings (under Advanced Graphics for some reason) you can change the unit size (the number of soldiers in an individual unit) from Small to Extreme. For infantry, the number of soldiers ranges from 40 (small) to 240 (extreme).

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Flaming shot artillery feels less useful to me than the standard shot, the accuracy penalty just stinks

Flaming shot averages 400 kills in a field battle (120 unit size), for a single artillery, its insane. Once the artillery gets up to level 10 their accuracy gets much better.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If you were in the mood for a TW and hadn't played Warhammer or this, and your computer wasn't a beast, is it better to go for one or the other?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    If you were in the mood for a TW and hadn't played Warhammer or this, and your computer wasn't a beast, is it better to go for one or the other?

Depends entirely on what you like. If you like the strategic aspect of Total war, then 3K is where it's at. If you like battles, then warhammer is where it's at. I have never delegated as many battles as in 3K, but on the other hand the strategic portion has never been as fun.

My own computer is really old (I with the exception of the graphics card it's approaching 10 years now, and the graphics card is a Nvidia 750 Ti) and handles both games OK-ish. Although I tend to browse the internet after I end my Mortal Empires campaign turn in Warhammer 2. It takes a while. The 3K end turn is really fast though, it's the battles that end up being 80 man units and rather fugly graphics.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Ugh tired of Bretonnia being able to afford a full stack while having floofy pegasus knights to wreck my shit in MP.

I'd make the jump to 3k but sounds like MP is even more bare bones.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I think the general consensus is warhammer for battles, 3 kingdoms for an in depth strategic layer.

Warhammer is a good bit more computer intensive. A SSD and a decent cpu is pretty much a necessity. 3k seems to get better performance for most people.

• Options
    I think the battles are much better in 3K, personally. More variation, more maps, more varied terrain, formations...

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Sounds like I found go for 3K. Rome was the last one I went into deep and that was in part about the strategic family management.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I finished my Liu Bei campaign, which I should have finished like twenty hours ago instead of getting bogged down in silly wars. Just marched into Cao Cao’s City and smashed it.

I think I need to take a break now. This game is a bit overwhelming and I don’t want to lose too much of my life.

• Options

Flaming shot averages 400 kills in a field battle (120 unit size), for a single artillery, its insane. Once the artillery gets up to level 10 their accuracy gets much better.

They can also burn down a guard tower in one good hit.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

I have the hardest time finding strategists that get along with all my beatsticks and who also aren't either too old to reasonably higher or I don't have hella suspicions of them being spies.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    He Mans arrows ability feels cheating

• Options
    I finished my Liu Bei campaign, which I should have finished like twenty hours ago instead of getting bogged down in silly wars. Just marched into Cao Cao’s City and smashed it.

I think I need to take a break now. This game is a bit overwhelming and I don’t want to lose too much of my life.

Gosh Tube have we had parallel experiences this whole time

I just finished my Liu Bei campaign too, after spending like twenty hours bogged down in silly wars and marching straight up to Cao Cao’s capital and having him abdicate after I wipe the floor with two of his stacks in one last big battle

Except now I’m starting a Sun Jian game to play around in the south that I never ever got to see

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    The Cao Cao says ciao ciao joke doesn't work that's now how you say Cao Cao

lol yeah man I know that the Chinese name Cao Cao and the Italian word ciao are not pronounced the same way. "tsao" and "ciao" (with correct accent) are just fun to say quickly and consecutively. weird flex but thank you!

in more relevant things to say, repeating crossbows are fun and I like them.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Finished my Cao Cao campaign. If Cao Cao himself had just lived one more year he would have become the emperor of China. Instead it was his son Cao Pi.

P.S: Was anyone else afraid to put any important characters on Dilo (the "cursed" horse), just in case it had some sort of hidden curse value?

P.P.S: One thing I learned is that Cavalry can be expensive, but if you control the upper left corner of the map (three horse pastures) then cavalry is so so cheap.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    I never saw that horse

Heck I never saw a single piece of cool armor in my entire Liu Bei campaign either, item drop rates seem very skewed to accessories more than anything else

Did anyone ever manage to complete a set of items? Does that do anything?

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Heck I never saw a single piece of cool armor in my entire Liu Bei campaign either, item drop rates seem very skewed to accessories more than anything else

That's because weapons, armors and horses drop mostly in a different way. There are several Weapon and Armor master counties around the map (mostly in the south and west), as well as one Animal tamer in the north west.
    Every few turns these provinces will gift you with an appropriate item. The more high tier the building is, the greater the chance you get for a superior or even unique item.

The cursed horse though is a special event that has a (very small) chance of happening after a battle.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are the mercs really good

some notes on just how OP merc units are.

If they get wiped out, they will fully replenish when they finish mustering.

They all have fatigue resistance

Merc Axemen have about the same stat line as jian swordguards, but with better armor piercing. You don't get much better infantry than that until sabre infantry / yellow dragons /pearl dragons

Merc Cavalry have an insanely high charge value (500-600 based on lvl) I don't think even the red dragon cav have that good of a charge. They also have good armor piercing. about 20-30 % armor.

Merc Bowmen have 20 armor piercing. that's...about the same as the medium crossbowman. and they have a decent melee statline too, so they will perform better than regular bowman in melee.

This discussion has been closed.