As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    It's that fucking UK TERF brain virus affecting policy

I can't imagine how you can look at all the injustice in your country and in the world and decide your vast wealth and global influence is best spent crusading against trans people

Supposedly Dominic Cummings has said in the past that the "culture war" over trans rights would be an ideal distraction to exploit when the government needs to cover for something so I guess that's partly what we're seeing

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I can't imagine how you can look at all the injustice in your country and in the world and decide your vast wealth and global influence is best spent crusading against trans people

Supposedly Dominic Cummings has said in the past that the "culture war" over trans rights would be an ideal distraction to exploit when the government needs to cover for something so I guess that's partly what we're seeing

Fuck that man so very much

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular

This is exactly what's happening over here (Trump's poll numbers with Evangelicals have been plummeting somehow, so they launched attacks on trans health and shelter rights).

Not sure if coincidence (similar forces at play) or if coordination.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So I came out to my grandma yesterday and it went better than it could have. She said she would struggle with my name and might slip up but she was happy for me and proud of me.

So I was feeling good today and got done up and felt nice about myself and was having a good time.

Then she texted me.

She basically said that she would not refer to me as Zoe or her granddaughter and that I need to accept that. She also demanded I be in the closet if I see her, and insinuated that she felt like I was being manipulated by my doctors and, as a former nurse, wanted me to provide my medical details.

So, that's great.

I refused and told her that until she accepts me and who I am, we will not have a relationship because I refuse to shove myself in a closet for her comfort.

But I also cried for about an hour and a half and feel drained and exhausted.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Charlotte/Mecklenburg county pride events have said law enforcement are no longer welcome at Pride events until Black Lives Matter.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    *snip*
    I'm so sorry. That's awful. Proud of you tho.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    What a horrid, two faced old lady

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    What a horrid, two faced old lady

Fuckin seriously. If she doesn't have the spine to say it to your face, she already knows she's wrong

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    the part of me that wants to find the good in everybody maybe wonders if she spoke to somebody else after you and they went all crazy person and convinced her that her acceptance of you was wrong.

but, my idealistic side is often wrong.

I'm so sorry, Zoe. Nobody should have to deal with that at all.

• Options
    WE WON!!

SCOTUS upholds that employees cannot be fired from their jobs due to being "homosexual or transgender" as it's a violation of Title VII.

I'm in tears y'all. I can't believe it.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I am absolutely gobsmacked that it went the way it did.

Obviously it is a great load off a great many people's minds. Just... wow.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    6-3 ruling, Gorsuch and Roberts agreed, Alito/Thomas/Kavanaugh dissent

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Even a broken Supreme Court Justice is right twice a lifetime.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Holy shit, 6-3?? Gorsuch??

This is some much needed good news after last week.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I do gotta say I am feeling much schadenfreude at all the conservatives who are looking at the conservative justices who voted for this going "you are supposed to help us oppress people."

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    If Gorsuch turns out to be a Souter then I'll enjoy jamming it in McConnell's stupid face.

Good news almost doesn't seem real these days. But this is good, it's big, and it's real.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I had totally forgotten about this case given everything happening last week, and I am shocked this misery year didn’t continue. Gives me hope that the court challenges to last week’s debacle have a chance.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If Gorsuch turns out to be a Souter then I'll enjoy jamming it in McConnell's stupid face.

Good news almost doesn't seem real these days. But this is good, it's big, and it's real.

Let's back up on the Souter stuff. He's had plenty of bad opinions. He just didn't this time.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I am super fascinated by how Gorsuch really doesn't shy away from being explicit that he's talking about the law forbidding discrimination against gay and transgender people
    "An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII forbids,"

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

thanks for failing at sabotaging black civil rights so badly that you accidentally gave them to women and LGBT people too, fucker!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

(for any unfamiliar, Chase is one of the ACLU lawyers who argued this case)

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That's awesome in an academic sense but it won't surprise me if it, unfortunately, still needs to be its own battle as bigots seize on the guidance from Trump and refuse care even if that's technically not legal. However, that interpretation of this SCOTUS ruling would mean that the lower courts can just point at it and say "no, fuck off," so that part is good at least.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Next step on this has to be fighting to end at-will employment

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Yea, but that's not a court fight. That's a legislature fight.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    My wife shared this on Facebook today, I thought it was very interesting. I was not aware of different culture's views on trans lives

https://www.facebook.com/107816613931235/posts/288396682539893/?d=n

Edit: can you make Facebook posts embed on the forum?

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you cannot

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    hmmmmmmmmmmm

https://abovethelaw.com/2020/06/neil-gorsuch-lays-landmines-throughout-lgbtq-discrimination-opinion/
    First of all, Gorsuch wrote the opinion. Handing a landmark ruling on civil rights to Gorsuch should tell you there’s some funny business in the offing. This wasn’t handed to the majority’s junior justice for the sake of doing yeoman’s work. In controversial opinions, the median justice might write the opinion to lay out the compromise terms that made the majority, but this opinion doesn’t seem to be all that prickly: the law says “sex” so you can’t discriminate on the basis of sex. The majority opinion isn’t based on a lot of sleight of hand or tenuous interpretations of different doctrines. Put another way, Sonia Sotomayor would have pegged an opinion squarely on that text in the statute too, so Gorsuch isn’t writing because of some kind of compromise. What’s the angle here?

Anzekay on
  • Options
    you cannot

Is there a summary for people who can’t facebook?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Made my best effort at transcription. What is the worst possible format to convey information and why is it Facebook

Note: i do not claim expertise on this topic. This is simply my transcription to a format that is readable on the forums

Gender Identities Around the World

Muxes
    -Muxes are native to the Zapotec region of Oaxaca, Mexico
    -They identify as neither men nor women and often take on caregiving roles within their families
    -In November there Is a festival to celebrate the Muxes, called ‘Vela de Muxes’
    -Muxes have lived in this region from pre-Hispanic times
    -In 2019, Muxes were featured on the cover of Vogue Mexico

Sistergirls and Brotherboys
    -Sistergirl/Brotherboy is a specific term used by the Aboriginal community in Australia to describe being trans in a specifically indigenous context.
    -There is evidence to suggest that pre-colonialism, they were accepted in the Aboriginal community
    -There are a growing number of resources for Brotherboys, who have historically received less recognition than Sistergirls
    -Search ‘Sistergirls and Brotherboys’ on FB for a national resource page

Hijra
    -Hijra have a long history in South Asia, dating as far back as 400 BC
    -Many Hijras live in Hijra-only communities, led by a guru
    -They often served as entertainers in the retinues of both Hindu and Muslim leaders
    -in 1871, under British Colonial rule, Hijras were labeled a ‘criminal tribe’ and faced attempted eradication
    -the repercussions of this law are still felt in the community to this day

Two Spirit
    -“Two Spirit” is an umbrella term coined in 1990 to define gender variance among First Nations people in North America
    -For example, the Navajo people recognize 4 distinct genders
    -Two Spirit people were historically considered sacred or divine, and performed key roles in their communities
    -However, European colonization resulted in increasingly poor treatment, which subsequently negatively impacted tribal law

Fa’afafine
    -used to describe people of a third gender in Samoa
    -Translated it means “in the manner of a woman”
    -They are a part of traditional Samoan culture and are recorded pre-Christianization
    -Colonization has made it difficult to trace their exact history
    -An estimated 500 Fa’afafine live in Samoa, with another estimated 500 in the Samoan diaspora in Aotearoa (New Zealand)

Waria (Indonesia)
    -Waria are commonly thought of as men who have a woman’s soul, thereby combining the two genders
    -the term is a combination of ‘wanita’ (woman) and ‘pria’ (man)
    -Some people believe that Waria have spiritual powers and they are often employed as shamans or priests
    -Warias can often be publicly portrayed in a negative light, but that does not do justice to their vsriety of lived experiences.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    hmmmmmmmmmmm

https://abovethelaw.com/2020/06/neil-gorsuch-lays-landmines-throughout-lgbtq-discrimination-opinion/
    First of all, Gorsuch wrote the opinion. Handing a landmark ruling on civil rights to Gorsuch should tell you there’s some funny business in the offing. This wasn’t handed to the majority’s junior justice for the sake of doing yeoman’s work. In controversial opinions, the median justice might write the opinion to lay out the compromise terms that made the majority, but this opinion doesn’t seem to be all that prickly: the law says “sex” so you can’t discriminate on the basis of sex. The majority opinion isn’t based on a lot of sleight of hand or tenuous interpretations of different doctrines. Put another way, Sonia Sotomayor would have pegged an opinion squarely on that text in the statute too, so Gorsuch isn’t writing because of some kind of compromise. What’s the angle here?

Not that I trust Gorsuch at all, but reading the article it seems like an extremely long-winded way to say that textualism is bullshit and leads to bad faith interpretations of laws when it suits people’s political agenda, which is A: already well known, and B: doesn’t always lead to such interpretations, as Gorsuch is arguing against a different set of dictionary-citing textualists dissenting in this case.

Like, “textualist arguments say it’s dangerous to use context to interpret the meaning of laws” is not something unique to this opinion and as noted, consistency with textualist precedent is clearly not something the court cares about anyway.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    you cannot

Is there a summary for people who can’t facebook?

Spoiled for convenience because it's a bunch of images:
    enmGaqN.png
    hTnB4WY.png
    X1pBG9u.png
    23o09OC.png
    yFzveZ4.png
    tCDoqSh.png
    epoUjna.png
    bzfT8rh.png

• Options
    Oh yeah cool

There are a vast and broad tapestry of genders across time and cultures

The 17th-19th century campaigns of eradication which were undertaken in the name of Enlightenment ideals broadly as “civilizing” are a crime only eclipsed by all the other genocides begotten by imperialism

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

End at-will employment for most

Institute at-will employment for cops

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

End at-will employment for most

Institute at-will employment for cops

Abolish the police

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    This was a good read. Relevant to the recent Supreme Court decision.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Oh yeah cool

There are a vast and broad tapestry of genders across time and cultures

The 17th-19th century campaigns of eradication which were undertaken in the name of Enlightenment ideals broadly as “civilizing” are a crime only eclipsed by all the other genocides begotten by imperialism

Yuuuup.

The Gender Binary is White Supremacist Colonial Bullshit to its core.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Today is day 1 of my HRT. So, Yay! I guess. I'm kind of all over the place emotionally at the moment. I hope that I can stabilise a bit.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    I mean it's been a little while but wasn't one of the few ways Gorsuch was less than the Conservative ideal of a Supreme Court Nominee is that he had a history of being open to extending civil rights to members of the LGBTQ community through rulings? So not that weird. Still weird that the other justices decided to allow him to write the brief.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember that coming up as one of the points during his confirmation hearing.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    This was a good read. Relevant to the recent Supreme Court decision.
    lol

That’s his old school. Just posted two hours ago, along with a “Black Lives Matter” white text on black background tweet a few hours prior. You know, three weeks after George Floyd was murdered.

Definitely Sincere Tweets

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I don't like gloating, and when someone finds themselves in a position where I can twist the knife with a gleeful "I told you so", I would rather not...

...But...

listening to some of the more backwater Conservative youtubes bellyache about the recent SCOTUS decision just rings the cockles of my heart. I just want to tell them how sorry I am that they can't be such shitty person anymore. I have heard so many stories of people losing their jobs after coming out/being outed. So you can't fire Jim anymore because he has "teh gay". well.... good!

Oh just wait though! I'm already seeing calls to repeal the Civil Rights Act, threats to ignore the ruling, and, my favorite, "this goes against my first amendment rights".

So be prepared my fellow boys, girls, and non-binaries, people have been emboldened to say out loud in frustration what they only recently kept as whispers. It's probably going to get yucky.

halkun on
This discussion has been closed.