As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 is over. Start your GOTY speculation

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I'd bet that kickass Cloud on a motorcycle figure that the second game ends at end of PSX disc one.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    oh wait yeah if we're splitting at the WEAPONs waking up then that includes the trek through the polar region so maybe split after Nibelheim?
    god FF7 is so fucking long, I forgot how much Stuff and Places it has in it

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Ugh, I just spent $200 for what will probably be a shitty Doom Slayer helmet.

DON'T LOOK AT ME!!!!

j9s5mal1c3c4.png

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It's not that bad of an answer, really, since they're clearly not just taking the original FF7 and translating it into a new engine or whatever, they're essentially totally redoing the story.

Yeah, but you figure taking on a project of this magnitude you should have SOME idea beforehand of what each part would entail

I think they have a general idea of what kind of scope they want each area to have and a road map of the total narrative (obviously). But past Midgar, it's pretty subjective.

The most obvious breakpoints to me are leaving Midgar, the awakening of the Weapons, then the end of the game. But that would make game number 2 HUGE, since that's like 70% of the game between leaving midgar and the first visit to the northern crater

Aeris' out-of-body experience would make another good breakpoint but I think the awakening of the weapons and summoning of meteor is the more effective dramatic cliffhanger to end on.

If you end on the weapons, the last part would be the escape from Junon, the search for Cloud, the race to recover the huge materia at Mt. Corel, Fort Condor, Rocket Town and the undersea reactor, falling into the lifestream and the recovery of Cloud's memories, the search for the white materia, the diamond weapon and the return to Midgar, and the great northern cave.

Let's say that they decide to split it into four games, with the first ending when they leave Midgar and the third with the Weapons. Where do you think they'd end the second game then?

maybe after the Gold Saucer, or the boat trip to Costa Del Sol? that feels like splitting it real fine though. They'd have to come up with a bunch of new shit to do during that middle following-sephiroth's-trail part of the story.

With Gongaga being Zack's hometown, Cosmo Canyon being another area that's been admitted by the devs that they didn't expand on it as much as they wanted, and obviously Nibelheim, there's a ton there.

I think they'd have to treat Nibelheim a lot differently, though. Go much deeper into uncovering the conspiracy, which brings you do Vincent (also not an optional character anymore) and start dropping more concrete hints about Lucretia, but also what happened between Zack and Cloud.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I think I need to replay FF7 all of a sudden

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Just heard that in response to feedback last year, CDPR has changed up Cyberpunk to allow a non-lethal playthrough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I hate non-lethal playthroughs that is bad

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Me when I attempt a non-lethal playthrough:
    17.gif

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I’m having fun doing nonlethal in Watch_Dogs 2*

*please don’t count my numerous vehicular homicides against me

• Options
    hey isn't there a shovel knight game due

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I like non-lethal playthroughs when they’re essentially the same as lethal ones, but barely harder?

Like, AC Syndicate, you can still get caught and beat the crap out of people, it just takes longer with your fists... and non-lethal takedowns take just a little longer to execute than stabbing a guy.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I hate non-lethal playthroughs that is bad

I like knowing I can do an entire non-lethal playthrough

It makes the times I choose to inflict violence mean something

(there better not be a cheevo associated with it though)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Any time there is the option to play non-lethally, people assume that is the correct way to play.

I also don't think it particularly makes sense for the source material.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Any time there is the option to play non-lethally, people assume that is the correct way to play.

I also don't think it particularly makes sense for the source material.

Yeah, this is the problem I have with it. It's really notable for ruining the game Vampyr and for making Adam Jensen in Mankind Divided seem like a complete fucking idiot.

I think non-lethal runthroughs are a really lazy approach to morality in games

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Hahaha holy shit
    potential spoilers
    Keanu is a digital ghost haunting a biochip you have implanted. he'll comment and narrate stuff and sometimes pop out as like a glitchy hologram that only you can see

I love this

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Sometimes I want to take someone down without killing them. That way I can read all their email and eat all their snacks while knowing they will eventually wake up to discover my work

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

That is clearly a slightly modified Xbox one controller

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I typically approach lethality like it is a tool to be avoided

like most of the time the guys you're fighting in these games are just dudes punchin' a clock, I'll usually try and not kill them unless they really force my hand

like in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I mostly don't kill anyone, except for that part when all these dudes with rockets and machineguns are trying to kill my extremely nice helicopter pilot friend, and that other part when they murder a building full of civilians to try and find you

you do shit like that and you're gonna get sorted

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Sometimes I want to take someone down without killing them. That way I can read all their email and eat all their snacks while knowing they will eventually wake up to discover my work

I'm not saying all combat has to be lethal (and would probably like more options along this line rather than less), I just think the idea that there's a Perfect Runthrough where all you did was inflict massive cranial trauma on people creates some really dumb gameplay incentives.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Fun fact: my brain is apparently incapable of retaining Norman Reedus' name, because I had to look him up, came back, and immediately forgot

Odd. " " is a very easy name to remember.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

like most of the time the guys you're fighting in these games are just dudes punchin' a clock, I'll usually try and not kill them unless they really force my hand

like in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I mostly don't kill anyone, except for that part when all these dudes with rockets and machineguns are trying to kill my extremely nice helicopter pilot friend, and that other part when they murder a building full of civilians to try and find you

it's weirdly especially satisfying to hit that breaking point where you go "you know what? fuck you" and stop going easy on them

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I'm really liking this screenshot that makes Diego Maradona look like a character from Glengarry Glen Ross

pes2020_5385.jpg

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Weirdly that helicopter part was the exact moment I started killing in HR.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    dude, Atari

y'all gotta get over it

live in the now

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    dude, Atari

y'all gotta get over it

live in the now

It's not really Atari; just another company cosplaying at Atari.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Yeah, in terms of a developers writing around a perfectionist runthrough, with a "good" ending path or consequences, I think you are right in that it can cause issues.

The biggest signal for me though, is that I'm not going to be limited to murdering specific characters to move the story along.
    I occasionally run into deadends in rpgs because of roleplay reasons, where I'm railroaded to murder characters for reasons only thought up by developers.
    I generally don't play pacifists but man am I bummed when my story stops because this. Bethesda games are pretty bad about this.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jeff: "Just imagine what those Fudgehogs could look like if they were rendered in the fucking cloud!"

• Options
    I'd say a great example of it being done right (and the first Non Lethal Playthrough that I can think of) is the original Deus Ex. Early on, a guy will chew you out for killing people. He's not your boss, but he's a cool guy and you feel chastened if he's mad at you. After that, it never actually comes up again, but you still have that "don't kill people unless necessary" idea rolling around in your head. There's no achievement (at least not in the original) for not killing anyone, no one is actually keeping track. They just put the idea that killing is wrong in your head and let you make your own decisions.

I'd say that Human Revolution is an example of doing it wrong, because the achievements (also the No Alarms one) provide an incentive for you to play in a very specific way that isn't actually much fun. Notably getting the achievement requires you to play the intro to the game non-lethally, which given that you're the head of security and the building is under attack is dereliction of duty bordering on actual malfeasance. It makes your character seem like a coward who is putting his charges in danger due to a wildly stupid and arbitrary ethical line.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I'm also real interested in seeing more about Legion after hearing you change up each character to be lethal or non-lethal, and the game will respond to that. So the old lady with a stun gun might just get tackled and arrested by the cops, but once you start pulling out assault rifles and John Wick shit they are gonna start shooting to kill.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    E3 2009: "Why do they always feel the need to trot out some random celebrity? Who cares?"

E3 2019: "KEANU REEEEEEEEEEEEVES!!!!!!"

Imagine being Jon Bernthal and thinking your appearance is going to be a cool deal that people will talk about. And then the Microsoft conference happens the day prior.

Which makes me wonder: was his (admittedly very good and well-behaved) dog part of the initial plan, or was it a "oh shit Keanu Reeves showed up better up my game" thing?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm fine with the MGS way of "non-lethal" playthrough where you're just using tranqs and it plays basically the same as the lethal weapons, just slightly slower

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

The next tweet in the thread shows what they are talking about, I'm not linking it directly cause what the everloving fuck.

Honestly at this point, as cool as cyberpunk looks, I'm leaning towards just not getting it cause I don't trust that company at all.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Hahaha holy shit
    potential spoilers
    Keanu is a digital ghost haunting a biochip you have implanted. he'll comment and narrate stuff and sometimes pop out as like a glitchy hologram that only you can see

I love this
    KeaNavi

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is Atlus on the show floor at all? My one interest is if they have any new info about Etrian Odyssey since the series won't be on dual/touch-screen anymore. Kinda wanna know where it goes from there and they had said previously that it'd be moving to the Switch.

• Options
    I will say that something I like less than Non Lethal Runs is the wholesale slaughter of minions followed by a boss battle that ends in a Kill/Spare moral choice. What about the other people, you fucks?! Only the elites are worthy of mercy?!

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »

The next tweet in the thread shows what they are talking about, I'm not linking it directly cause what the everloving fuck.

Honestly at this point, as cool as cyberpunk looks, I'm leaning towards just not getting it cause I don't trust that company at all.

Jesus fucking Christ

• Options
    Fuck Cyberpunk

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

I'm not saying all combat has to be lethal (and would probably like more options along this line rather than less), I just think the idea that there's a Perfect Runthrough where all you did was inflict massive cranial trauma on people creates some really dumb gameplay incentives.

The only series that should require a non-lethal playthrough is Spider-Man.