As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jeffrey Epstein Co-Conspirator Ghislaine Maxwell Finally Convicted

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but that's a few months away, right? if we're lucky.

The paperwork can have their names suppressed like "witness 1" or "plaintiff 1".

Are there legal penalties for anybody breeching such protections?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I think if you breech protected documentation that is a contempt of court charge. Or if its a lawyer there could be worse penalties.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Bail will be set tomorrow, if he's allowed it. So yes, he is in federal custody right now.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    Are we likely to actually know anything for a while or is it just going to be months of rumors?

The charging document should probably be out on monday, but names and whatnot will be suppressed, more than likely.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    If a billionaire with a B is in custody and not on 'promise you won't leave' level house arrest, then that's a decent indication that they have a lot of hard evidence on him.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ebum and I were talking yesterday about where he'd flee to if he got bail. I said Russia. he can go live with Snowden.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bail will be set tomorrow, if he's allowed it. So yes, he is in federal custody right now.

I fully expect that if he's given bail he will flee the country and everyone involved in giving him bail will act, like, so surprised.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

I fully expect that if he's given bail he will flee the country and everyone involved in giving him bail will act, like, so surprised.

Surprised that they are suddenly in possession of an offshore bank account with a cool hundred grand?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Surprised that they are suddenly in possession of an offshore bank account with a cool hundred grand?

Just, flabbergasted.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Just, flabbergasted.

Shocked, shocked!

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    What happens to his money if he skips bail?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Most likely rich people will help make sure he is remains rich. Also he probably already keeps plenty of it elsewhere.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

It gets surrendered to the State.

They're going to pull his passport if he gets let out on bond.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I hope they at least impound his private jet too.

"Oh, I'm just going to fly from NY to my home in Florida (by way of a non-extradition country)."

• Options

Again, this matters a lot less to the people at the top of the food chain than it does to us.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    If a billionaire with a B is in custody and not on 'promise you won't leave' level house arrest, then that's a decent indication that they have a lot of hard evidence on him.

Well this looks like the "Arrest them late on Friday so no judges are available for arraignment and oops, guess you spend the weekend in jail" play.

Fake Edit: Checking on this it isn't quite true. He just flew back from Paris on Saturday so that's less likely and just how things happened. I suppose how serious them doing this on the weekend may be just when they thought they could catch him in jurisdiction.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Again, this matters a lot less to the people at the top of the food chain than it does to us.

Yes if they have access to their resources.

I mean yes the billionaires have a lot of resources. At the same time states can keep people where they want even not in prison. Current example is the CFO of Huawei is locked in Canada even though she has both a shit ton of money and the CCP behind her.

Same for the US.

And him flying would require a pilot and plane willing never to return/be arrested and a few other bits.

I know billionaires have a lot more power than normal folks.

States still have more power then they do. We aren't Shadowrun yet.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i would say that it's less that i doubt the state's ability to go up against this guy in a meaningful way than i doubt the state's willingness to do so

admittedly it's gone further than it might have, already

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do not hope to get trump, but if they could at least get Acosta for his ridiculous deal with Epstein I'll feel justice was at least had somewhat.

What are the odds that Acosta already had enough evidence to start a deeper investigation at the time, but chose to cover it up by pushing all of the attention on Epstein alone, giving him a light sentence, and then claiming that (in)justice has been served and that no one needs to look at the case any more?

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    I doubt Trump is gonna end up tied to this in a negative fashion.

7 months ago a lawyer spoke out about how in 2009 he called everyone relating to the Epstein case. Trump was the only one who immediately offered up every shred and scrap of information he had.

https://youtu.be/Yqb59n69Z80?t=296

(that should timestamp but its at 4:56 in the video)

Every republican worth a damn at the spin factory is going to push this angle hard. When Epstein goes down you better believe trump is gonna somehow claim the credit for it. It's his main thing, let other people do good work and then take credit for it after the fact.

I give it a week before all the Republicans are all at a consensus about how Epstein is guilty, Trump knew and cooperated with law enforcement about this years ago, and that Epsteins main connections are all Democrats and wow America do you really want to vote for those guys?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The media coverage on this pisses me off. I looked up an article, and they describe what has happened as:
    According to court and police records reviewed by the Miami Herald’s Julie Brown, Epstein routinely had underage girls brought to his Palm Beach mansion, where he paid them to give him massages. During the massages, he often subjected the girls to sexual abuse — asking them to touch him while he masturbated, touching them himself, and sometimes having intercourse with them, Brown reports. Then, according to the Herald, he would offer them money to find him more girls — which some of them did, finding recruits at malls and house parties.

It is not sexual abuse if you have sex with an unwilling and underage partner, it's rape, both in the normal and statutory sense. Use the fucking word, you cowards. Call it rape, don't sanitize it.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    If Trump turns out to be instrumental in taking this guy in and making sure he faces justice...

Good for Trump. It certainly doesn't excuse all the other shit he's involved in, but providing evidence on someone who traffics girls for sex is a Good Thing, regardless of the motivation. Woulda been nice if this was done earlier, but I'm not about to complain.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »

7 months ago a lawyer spoke out about how in 2009 he called everyone relating to the Epstein case. Trump was the only one who immediately offered up every shred and scrap of information he had.

Every republican worth a damn at the spin factory is going to push this angle hard. When Epstein goes down you better believe trump is gonna somehow claim the credit for it. It's his main thing, let other people do good work and then take credit for it after the fact.

I give it a week before all the Republicans are all at a consensus about how Epstein is guilty, Trump knew and cooperated with law enforcement about this years ago, and that Epsteins main connections are all Democrats and wow America do you really want to vote for those guys?

Trump would absolutely roll on everyone else. He's a bully and a coward. That doesn't mean he's not involved

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Trump would absolutely roll on everyone else. He's a bully and a coward. That doesn't mean he's not involved

I dont disagree.

Im a cynical person. I'd bet money that he was involved and essentially turned around and handed over the information to the authorities in order to make himself less likely to be incriminated/incarcerated. Which unfortunately will most likely not just work, but also be spun as him being altruistic.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    I do not hope to get trump, but if they could at least get Acosta for his ridiculous deal with Epstein I'll feel justice was at least had somewhat.

What are the odds that Acosta already had enough evidence to start a deeper investigation at the time, but chose to cover it up by pushing all of the attention on Epstein alone, giving him a light sentence, and then claiming that (in)justice has been served and that no one needs to look at the case any more?

Given that he gave immunity to his (unnamed) co-conspirators in the deal, high.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Literally everything about how that case down made it super super obvious that Acosta was running a massive coverup operation for a ton of wealth and/or powerful people involved in Epstein's sexual slavery and pimping ring.

shryke on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I hope these women are ready for what is going to happen next.

Doe the US do things like name suppression for witnesses?

Iirc we do but you still have to get witnesses to the stand to physically testify. And that means they can be identified

You can put in an official deposition without going on the stand. That can happen in cases where the witness's is in danger. I think. IANAL.

It's Constitutionally questionable at best, thanks to the right to confront one's accusers.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    A decent number of his victims are already publicly known and have filed lawsuits under their own names.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    A decent number of his victims are already publicly known and have filed lawsuits under their own names.

There's a big one right now between one of his victims and Dershowitz at the moment.

Edit: Legal website Above The Law has been covering the case:
    Last month, Harvard Law’s Alan Dershowitz proclaimed, “I hereby accuse my false accusers of committing the felony of perjury and challenge them to sue me for defamation.” As Paragraph 22 of a complaint filed today in the Southern District of New York put it:
    Mr. Dershowitz now has what he claims to have been looking for.

For the last several years, Dershowitz has faced allegations that his best buddy and ultimate “Florida Man” Jeffrey Epstein — a billionaire who used his wealth to lure underaged girls into a sex trafficking operation — loaned out his victims to have sex with Dershowitz.

Boies Schiller, in papers signed by Sigrid McCawley, with assistance from Meredith Schultz, has now sued Dershowitz for defamation on behalf of Virginia (Roberts) Guiffre. Dershowitz has publicly called Guiffre a liar and extortionist based on the Epstein victim’s claim that Dershowitz had sex with her as part of Epstein’s scheme.

What's interesting is the public versus "private" (in so far as the actual legal workings of the case are not front page fodder) actions of Dershowitz. Publicly, he's been all bluster about how he's being defamed. But in the courts, he's been doing everything to kill the case quietly, such as trying to get the plaintiff's counsel disqualified (the motion of which was initially rejected for the hilarious reason that Dershowitz couldn't follow the judge's basic instructions on filing motions in her court) and arguing that his accusers don't have standing to sue over his attacks.

Dershowitz has been in a way the face of Harvard Law for well on several decades now - it's part of why I have little respect for the institution, given the way that he behaves. It coming out that he had been one of Epstein's clients (and let's not forget that these rumors had been going around for quite a while) would be a pretty devastating blow for Harvard Law - there would be serious pressure for him to be fired, and there would be questions asked of the college leadership about how much did they know and when did they know it.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Teflon Don's magic immunity to consequences all his life has never extended to any of his underlings. Part of that immunity is from him being willing to throw any and everyone else under the bus.

Trump's bad, but he's also a symptom of a deep disease in the body politic and the actual disease must be purged. The power structure that allows Epsteins to exist facilitated Trump's rise in the first place, and there will be another Trump figure (likely one more competent and less lazy) unless that power structure and those that hold power and wealth within it are taken down.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Literally everything about how that case down made it super super obvious that Acosta was running a massive coverup operation for a ton of wealth and/or powerful people involved in Epstein's sexual slavery and pimping ring.

There's a lot of people guessing it's why the case is being handled by SDNY's Public Corruption unit. People are assuming that it will include Acosta into the mix, especially considering a Federal judge has ruled that his non-prosecution agreement with Epstein was illegal... and now Acosta is Trump's Secretary of Labor.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

(Erica Orden is a reporter for CNN)
    SDNY will hold a press conference about the Jeffrey Epstein case at 11am.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Not much new in there. Abused minors in NY/FL who he paid, paid some of those minors to bring him more minors to abuse. Had three employees involved who scheduled the minors (and thus conspiracy I think.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

(Erica Orden is a reporter for CNN)
    SDNY will hold a press conference about the Jeffrey Epstein case at 11am.

Funny, I've been watching CNN and there hasn't been a single mention of this

Edit: Oh wait, they just now did and said they will carry the press conference live.

Veevee on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Yes if they have access to their resources.

I mean yes the billionaires have a lot of resources. At the same time states can keep people where they want even not in prison. Current example is the CFO of Huawei is locked in Canada even though she has both a shit ton of money and the CCP behind her.

Same for the US.

And him flying would require a pilot and plane willing never to return/be arrested and a few other bits.

I know billionaires have a lot more power than normal folks.

States still have more power then they do. We aren't Shadowrun yet.
    Also Billionaires may have money and contacts, but they generally don't have the right type of contacts, who will go to the matt for them.

Generally they talk to the shaddiest person they know to try to get stuff like this done, but it's a funny thing about shaddy people, in this situation the same type of people who would help him escape the country would totally help the authorities set him up in exchange for immunity or a reduced sentence. "Hey Jeff just contacted me to arrange for getting him out of the country. You want to pick him up in Tampa terminal B? I'll arrange it for immunity from prosecution."

*Keeps money paid up front*

zepherin on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

that's what qanon has been waiting for

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Not much new in there. Abused minors in NY/FL who he paid, paid some of those minors to bring him more minors to abuse. Had three employees involved who scheduled the minors (and thus conspiracy I think.)

Yeah, basically nothing you wouldn't know if you read the Herald story. Also not as lurid as some of these I've read in the past (the Jerry Sandusky indictment in particular was not a pleasant experience).

One thing worth noting is there are three victims mentioned in the indictment, all of them as "Minor Victim 1/2/3"

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    SDNY will be pushing for detention without bail is your first bit of news from this press conference. Not a surprise, but new.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SDNY will be pushing for detention without bail is your first bit of news from this press conference. Not a surprise, but new.

Everyone's been saying that if Epstein gets bail, he's gone.