As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jeffrey Epstein Co-Conspirator Ghislaine Maxwell Finally Convicted

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    They performed a search warrant on his NY residence when they arrested him. Found photos of nude possibly underage girls. They didnt mention it, but I'm assuming photos of vicitms.

Every photo like that is a photo of a victim.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Is there any indication he ever crossed state lines with his victims?
    Just so I'm sure I'm following this right, a "yes" would mean he engaged in trafficking, correct?

Interstate trafficking, which is clearly Federal jurisdiction. Intrastate trafficking is more muddy as to if the feds or the state is in charge.

I suspect this is why the indictment laid out that he often called employees in the other place to arrange the meetings. I think that was just to secure federal jurisdiction. The indictment didn't really mention transporting the victims at all.
    From a purely practical standpoint, in something like this, it's not difficult to get federal jurisdiction. Simply a phone call to his co-conspirators is enough if they are in a different state. However his primary residence is in the Virgin Islands (probably for tax reasons). As well as having a Palm Springs House, and the crimes mostly occured (at least so far) in New York City so there is diversity of jurisdiction alone, which makes federal court the proper venue.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    ...This guy is going to be murdered in prison.

Nope. We're going to just torture him to prevent that - he'll be put in administrative segregation, which usually means solitary confinement.

AdSeg isn't solitary though. He will be the only one in his cell and his activities outside it will be greatly restricted, but he won't be kept isolated from human contact. Granted the human contact he will have is going to be primarily guards.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Stuff from the hearing: in the previous 36 hours prosecutors say they have heard from a number of new victims or attorneys representing new victims.

Epstein pled not guilty and his lawyers are arguing that this is the same content that was in the Florida case. The government I think is taking that argument seriously given how much time they spent establishing they are not bound by Acosta's bullshit.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    IANAL but I think what I'm reading is that the law gives the defendant the choice to request three days to prepare a rebuttal to prosecution arguments with regards to bail. They have made that request, so final decision on bail will be on Thursday. Epstein remains in custody until then.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    He is such a flight risk. There's no way they can argue, legitimately, allowing him out.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    He is such a flight risk. There's no way they can argue, legitimately, allowing him out.

That's not all. He has a history of witness intimidation as well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Vicky Ward is a journalist who wrote a profile for Vanity Faire of Epstein. She's pretty sure his money isn't legal, but Epstein didn't care that she was investigating that. He was preoccupied with what she had on "the girls." And browbeat her editor, Graydon Carter, into cutting that part of the story.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

The only way I could see it being a possibility is in-house US Marshals, or whatever law enforcement agency is responsible. Think the equivalent of what you see with regards protective custody, just with the role being protecting the public from the subject.

Ie, constant in-person surveillance by law enforcement, with explicit instructions not to let him leave the designated property.

I don't think that he should be allowed out, but if every measure isn't made to stop him fleeing, then they done fucked up. An anklet is not sufficient.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    An anklet was sufficient to keep Paul Manafort from fleeing but not from witness tampering.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Ken Starr
    It's Christmas in July

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

The only way I could see it being a possibility is in-house US Marshals, or whatever law enforcement agency is responsible. Think the equivalent of what you see with regards protective custody, just with the role being protecting the public from the subject.

Ie, constant in-person surveillance by law enforcement, with explicit instructions not to let him leave the designated property.

I don't think that he should be allowed out, but if every measure isn't made to stop him fleeing, then they done fucked up. An anklet is not sufficient.

Not to mention the risk that he "kills himself" with a dozen shots on the back.

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Ken Starr
    It's Christmas in July

Bill Barr's dad hired him to teach high school without any qualifications, because elite circles are gross. This was in the late 70s. Bill Barr's law firm was party to the plea so he was asked about during his confirmation hearings. Barr said he may need to recuse himself from Epstein matters for that reason, though we don't know if he actually did.

• Options
    Oh, and right wing goose Stefan Molyneux has decided to add the blood libel to the mix with his latest tweet about the case where he "asked" if Epstein raped any Jewish girls.

Just when you think they can't be more revolting, they lower the bar.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    So has Barr commented on this or is the recusal talk from a previous incident?

I can’t imagine him not looking to make this all go away as quietly as possible.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I’m honestly hoping SDNY is doing their best to keep this in-house. The last thing I’d want is the current DOJ getting involved.

SDNY is DoJ

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

Not to mention the risk that he "kills himself" with a dozen shots on the back.
    This is a real risk, whomever he was dealing with is likely very dangerous.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I’m honestly hoping SDNY is doing their best to keep this in-house. The last thing I’d want is the current DOJ getting involved.

SDNY is DoJ

Yeah, I remembered like two seconds after I posted.

Hence, that post never happened and you obviously quoted me from an alternate dimension.

Damn my slow phone editing.

• Options

SDNY is DoJ

Yeah, I remembered like two seconds after I posted.

Hence, that post never happened and you obviously quoted me from an alternate dimension.

Damn my slow phone editing.

As for your Barr question, this has been percolating for a while, so he was asked about it during his confirmation hearings. He has not been asked about it this weekend and we don't know if he has recused himself from oversight of this investigation.

Partly because this administration hasn't answered a question from the press or Congress in like six months.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    The questions for Harvard continue to grow:
    Convicted sex offender Jeffrey E. Epstein is not a Harvard alum. Nor is he a faculty member or an affiliate of the University. In fact, he does not even hold a college degree.

But the billionaire — who for years operated a sex ring of underage girls out of his Palm Beach, Fla. home, the Miami Herald reported in a three-part feature Wednesday — nonetheless boasts deep and longstanding ties to Harvard.

Epstein has donated millions of dollars to the University. His money funded the construction of at least one campus building, still standing today. He cultivated cozy friendships with top Harvard administrators including a former University president. And he forged close professional and personal ties to Alan M. Dershowitz, a high-profile professor emeritus at Harvard Law School who also allegedly had sexual relations with a minor.

When the allegations against Epstein first became public more than a decade ago, University representatives told The Crimson they had no plans to return any money the school received from him.

Now — as the Herald’s reporting is once again focusing national attention on Epstein’s and Dershowitz’s alleged misconduct — Harvard is staying quiet. University spokespeople declined to comment for this story. Harvard also refused to comment publicly on the allegations against Dershowitz.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    NBC reports that Barr is stating that he is recused from the matter:

Charlie Gile is a reporter for NBC.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Crazy what he recuses himself from versus something else he has a clear conflict of interest with.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    NBC reports that Barr is stating that he is recused from the matter:

Charlie Gile is a reporter for NBC.

Well, now we know that he's going to be doing everything he can to keep Trump out of it. No having his attention split.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Crazy what he recuses himself from versus something else he has a clear conflict of interest with.
    This is a big shit pile. He doesn't want anything to do with the fallout, because no matter what someone is going to be howling for blood they aren't going to get.

• Options
    Honestly that Barr isn't unrecusing himself tells you all you need to know regarding Trump. If this was going to blow back on Trump he'd be there front and center to shut it down.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Honestly that Barr isn't unrecusing himself tells you all you need to know regarding Trump. If this was going to blow back on Trump he'd be there front and center to shut it down.

Barr recusing himself isn't because Trump is innocent, it's because he doesn't want to get thrown under the bus by Trump

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Barr recusing himself isn't because Trump is innocent, it's because he doesn't want to get thrown under the bus by Trump

nothing barr does or doesn't do will stop that. trump will throw anyone or anything under any motorized vehicle if he thinks it will benefit him.

• Options

I have little doubt if this was going to come anywhere near the GOP Barr would unrecuse himself. I'd lay hard money to that effect.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

nothing barr does or doesn't do will stop that. trump will throw anyone or anything under any motorized vehicle if he thinks it will benefit him.

Maybe, but Barr is a particularly vile lifelong conservative attorney that will typically eat whatever amount of shit he has to in order to get his team off the hook. The guy is shameless in his partisanship.

And he's already trying to wash his hands on an indictment of one of Trump's closer friends... that tells me whatever is coming down the pipe, Barr thinks it's so unwinnable that he's basically scared shitless of the ramifications, and is running away from it as fast as he can.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I hate to be doom and gloom but I feel like now that they’ve tested out not recognizing subpoenas, not complying with anyone, not handing over requested documents and not doing press briefings or answering any media about anything - and all of it went great - Barr is not really recusing himself and more “I don’t want to talk about this so if I say I recuse myself I can just answer everything with I don’t know you’ll have to ask someone else.”

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

That didn't work out for Jeff Sessions.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Point of clarification here - there's no paying money for a bail bond to stay out of jail in federal proceedings. The two sides will argue (possibly) at a detention hearing and a judge will decide whether guy sits in jail before his trial or gets released under certain restrictive conditions, generally based on factors like the danger posed to the community and flight risk (the latter being the big one in this case I think).

There is some provision allowing property to be held as bond but it's so complicated and convoluted as to basically never be used.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I think it’s like reading tea leaves that have been shredded to mulch and mixed with the soil trying to infer anything from what Barr has done. Could be because Trump isn’t involved; could be because it’s so radioactive that only a fool would want to be involved. Barr is many things, but a fool is not quite one of them. Not in the literal sense, anyways.

• Options
    You can interpret it as it's potentially so bad even Barr isn't willing to muddy himself (raping a 13 year old four times is the allegation involving Trump) or you could interpret as he thinks there's nothing to fear.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Exactly, could be any number of things. My point is more “try not to succumb to the gloom and/or the doom.”

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It's really Trump's 3am shitpost tweet that will give us the lay of the land.

It's about something unrelated, then either he thinks he's safe or he's unaware how much in shit he's in.

We get a shitpost tweet about the Miami Herald "ruining" a good man, he's probably someone the SDNY wish they could talk to, because he's probably aware of some of the shit going down.

He bitches about Barr recusing himself over all this, then he probably believes this is going to bite him.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    You can interpret it as it's potentially so bad even Barr isn't willing to muddy himself (raping a 13 year old four times is the allegation involving Trump) or you could interpret as he thinks there's nothing to fear.

I will say this Epstein-Barr stuff is making me...chronically fatigued.

*shows self out*

Stolen from Twitter.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Let's keep discussion of Trump at minimum here, since there's very little evidence that he's actually relevant to this story yet.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I don't know why he was before two different judges, @Drake Chambers could maybe help us out here. Anyway second judge has taken over the detention hearing and pushed that back to next Monday. So we'll learn then. CNN has a correspondent who worked in SDNY and has argued in front of this judge before and says he generally sides with the government in these kinds of cases.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I don't know why he was before two different judges, @Drake Chambers could maybe help us out here. Anyway second judge has taken over the detention hearing and pushed that back to next Monday. So we'll learn then. CNN has a correspondent who worked in SDNY and has argued in front of this judge before and says he generally sides with the government in these kinds of cases.

At this stage the initial hearings are handled by magistrate judges. They're the ones making rulings during the procedural bits in the beginning but they don't preside over trials. Most of the time when a new case comes in the clerk assigns it to both a magistrate and a district judge. If it's a huge deal (like this is) the district judge might step up and say to the magistrate, "Hey, I've got this."