As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    More like higher level dunking

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I only have four more days of my summer classes.

I'm just so tired.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    and another book goes on the list....

but really, that's a neat sounding book.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    And that's my first addition to my wishlist in this LibraryThing program I'm using to inventory my books...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I only have four more days of my summer classes.

I'm just so tired.

Just think, the fall semester is right around the corner!

I still have panic attacks over what paper I need to be working on right now! It's been 6 months since I graduated. Maybe one day I will be able to relax again. Maybe.

• Options
    Fall semester is a whole different beast.

Classes are only on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

But I have 14 of them in a row. That coupled with my 2nd job having me work Sundays and whatever my grad program requires of me, it's likely I won't have a day off for 14 weeks straight.

But I likely won't have as much homework, so, ya know, trade-offs.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    it's called higher order thinking, zon

Oh hey speaking of. Just finished the summer semester and this professor gave me a full 100% in the class and said shes going to recommend I speak at graduation in the spring.

Fucking HOTS man

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I don't get why you hate that dead game so much.

Anyway, I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I had a dream last night about being late for school. Woke up really stressed, then remembered I don't go to school any more so I relaxed. Then realised I was late for work.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I dreamed recently of being stressed out about ROTC drills and finals

I have never done the former and it has been 5 years since the latter

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Oh hey speaking of. Just finished the summer semester and this professor gave me a full 100% in the class and said shes going to recommend I speak at graduation in the spring.

Fucking HOTS man

Wait, is this the prof who made your life hell? How is she so inconsistent??

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Fucking HOTS man

Wait, is this the prof who made your life hell? How is she so inconsistent??
    She was also good before the Hell Class, I think.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Showed up at work at 8. Apparently I'm not scheduled today, my boss extended my vacation through today. Oops.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wow, what an odd mood at work this morning

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So I mentioned in the last thread. I got moved to my own office about a month and some change ago. I was told last week my department is moving into the area I'm in now and they need my office for someone else, so I'm being moved away from my department again. This time their not sure where because there is very limited desk space.

We have some people who work from home 4 out of 5 days and some people who work from home when their not feeling great but don't want to use a sick day. I think I'm going to suggest that since my work is apparently as such that they don't need me physically for anything, and since no one consults me for anything, maybe for the time being it would be best if I just work from home. Save desk space.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So I mentioned in the last thread. I got moved to my own office about a month and some change ago. I was told last week my department is moving into the area I'm in now and they need my office for someone else, so I'm being moved away from my department again. This time their not sure where because there is very limited desk space.

We have some people who work from home 4 out of 5 days and some people who work from home when their not feeling great but don't want to use a sick day. I think I'm going to suggest that since my work is apparently as such that they don't need me physically for anything, and since no one consults me for anything, maybe for the time being it would be best if I just work from home. Save desk space.

Just... be really careful about visibility. If you feel your job is already at risk, working from home may put you into an "out of mind" position -- or worse, one where they look for justifications to cut you.

Not saying work from home is bad, nor do I know everything about your work environment. But I'd be hesitant about sliding into the background.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    My convertible standing desk arrived today! Or I guess I should call it a desktop - it’s not an entire desk. Just enough for two monitors, keyboard, mouse, and a few nick-nacks.
    I even managed to acquire one of the “Ergodriven Topo” standing desk mats for free, because apparently there was one already in the office that wasn’t being used, and now I’ve got a whole convertible workspace situation.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I had a dream that ended with me getting charged and trampled by an elephant in Barcelona, and for the first hour after I woke up I was so clumsy and uncoordinated that I got to the gym and literally tripped over somebody else's feet.

Feeling better now though but what the shit

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Today started with a heavy helping of imposter syndrome but is edging in a positive direction.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Starting to like "last day" days.

I mean, what's not to like? There's no consequence to my actions, and very little required. Everyone should quit jobs more often to feel this freedom.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ugh it's Monday

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Ugh it's Monday

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

l7ihIVA.jpg hello mondays my old friend

Brolo on
  • Options
    There is a whole in my shoe and I'm reading a gumshoe story on my ride home

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    There is a whole in my shoe and I'm reading a gumshoe story on my ride home
    You sent me down a brief hole looking up the NES game Gumshoe, which is always what the word makes me think of. I played the hell out of that game when I was a kid.

• Options
    I looked it up!
    gumshoe (n.)
    "plainclothes detective," 1906, from the rubber-soled shoes they wore (allowing stealthy movement), which were so called from 1863 (gums "rubber shoes" is attested by 1859); from gum (n.1) + shoe (n.).

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Kamiro wrote: »
    OK, I've always taken the usage of gumshoe for granted.

But...why are they called gumshoes?

The Internet says:
    Origin
    mid 19th century (in the sense ‘galoshes or soft-soled shoes’, suggesting stealth): the current sense dates from the early 20th century.

I didn't know that! Neat! Much better than the image of literal gum stuck to someone's shoe, which I imagine is much more likely the mental default for people of our era.

Edit: Dammit Mori it's early on a Monday we should all be working right now.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    My convertible standing desk arrived today! Or I guess I should call it a desktop - it’s not an entire desk. Just enough for two monitors, keyboard, mouse, and a few nick-nacks.
    I even managed to acquire one of the “Ergodriven Topo” standing desk mats for free, because apparently there was one already in the office that wasn’t being used, and now I’ve got a whole convertible workspace situation.

Get a step stool. You'll want something to put your foot on just to change your standing posture.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Yeah my initial thought was "they sneak around a lot and get gum on their shoes" which is... well, it's a guess.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I always figured it was about them wearing sneakers, but I dunno if that's cause I read a lot of really old books or because Australia hung onto old names for things for a bit longer. We still call galoshes "gumboots" so the association between gum/soft shoe has always been fairly strong for me.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It is very hot here in my office.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited August 2019
    While this does provide good writing bracketing for my planned lunar amazon noir novel, but then the question come up about biology.

and I'm in a rabbit hole of research articles.

tl;dr 20th century scientists had no idea how the female human body works, I'm strongly suspecting the moon missions succeeded because NASA looked like the Simpson's bloodline.

edit: Mother fuck, who the fuck wrote.....
    The question of direct sexual release on a long-duration space mission must be considered. Practical considerations (such as weight and expense) preclude men taking their wives on the first space flights. It is possible that a woman, qualified from a scientific viewpoint, might be persuaded to donate her time and energies for the sake of improving crew morale; however, such a situation might create interpersonal tensions far more dynamic than the sexual tensions it would release. Other means of sexual release (masturbation, homosexuality) would be discouraged because of the confined quarters and the lack of privacy on such a mission. Thus, it appears that methods involving sublimation are more practical than these more direct alternatives
    https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720008366.pdf pg 38

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    that reminded me of this

I think most people call them "running shoes" in ontario

Brolo on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That map is inaccurate as it suggests no one calls them "tennies"

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    That map is inaccurate as it suggests no one calls them "tennies"

oh god tell me this is not a thing

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I assume that refers to what we call trainers but I dunno, is there a special kind of shoe for playing tennis?

• Options
    "Foot Prisons"

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Shoes
    Boots
    Heels
    Sandals

This is what active footwear is to me, the four pillars. Much like how I don't bother with makes and models of vehicles, it's just car, van, truck.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Did kicks die out?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Did kicks die out?

Wasn't that the 50's?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    that reminded me of this

I think most people call them "running shoes" in ontario

and Americans wonder why people have a hard time assimilating. Cause there's 20 Americas based on food alone. Then clothes. Then actions.