Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[OOC] Mage: The Awakening - The Carnival of Madness [PBP]

124»

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Okay so there seems to be some inconsistent understanding of what the rules are, so I'm going to ask openly:
    1 - the opening post says, for Arcanum, we get 2 dots in one, 2 in another, and 1 in a third; and that two of the three arcanum here must be from our Path; then a sixth dot that can be placed anywhere. This is also the character creation rule in the book. However, this does not appear to have been followed on everyone's sheet. Are we house-ruling that you don't have to do starting Arcanum this way?
    2 - If we choose to start as a member of an order, do we get a free dot of Status: Order or not? Some have it, some don't.
    3 - are merits from non-standard player sources allowed? Like if there's a merit from the Seers of the Throne book that's Seers only, can we take those merits? I'm asking because some of those groups get access to deliberately powerful merits because they're antagonists or have other special rules that apply to them. For instance, Banishers don't get rotes, so they have merits that make casting without a rote easier/better for them.

I'm not trying to be difficult but in my experience C/WoD games in general, and Mage games in specific, work best when there's clear communication and understanding of what the rules are and how they will be applied, and I want to make sure we're all on the same page.

1 is how it should be, I'm unfamiliar with 2 but don't object to it, and 3 should only be if a character is of that order. I imagine some people may have gotten abilities from lists of all the abilities in one thing, that didn't necessarily separate when they were for antagonists.

PwSoiT0.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Yeah I am rip raring to go, though I still can't find any info on my familiar's stats. I will say the book is not organized well
    The way I understand it is, based on its specialization, it has its own dice pools that it can use towards certain things.

PwSoiT0.png
    Bucketman
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 3
    El Skid wrote: »
    Ohhhh I had 3,1,1,1. I may have misunderstood the rules, or gone back and switched things in an incorrect way.

I guess I should fix that! I guess it'll have to be 3 fate, 2 time and 1.... Mind? Hrm. Then I have to fix rotes too :(

Thanks for noticing!

You also have 5 points sunk into a Banisher-only merit that is pretty powerful. Essentially making spontaneous casting almost strictly better than rote casting.
    e: I should point out, all of this is fine, if cj is cool with it. I just want to know if cj is cool with it, because that may impact my choices! I don't care necessarily what the rules are, I just want to make sure I know what the rules are, so I know my options

Hrm. I am only going off online sources to be sure but what I was seeing was different than what you’re describing- the drawback on the merit is that the multiplier for learning rotes is much higher when you have he merit, so the part about not being able to learn rotes at all doesn’t jive with that.

Here’s what I was using:

http://nwod.org/wiki/index.php/Extemporaneous_Affinity

I did ask Cj if it was okay, but if I shouldn’t have access to it that’s fine- there’s time to change things still :)

E-ohhhh I see. This is actually house ruled perk heh. I didnt see that in the top right.

More rework then! I’ll figure stuff out and come back with something else.

El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

wrath God fear traitor evil
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    It's really always a good idea to know the exact book wording of any type of ability you take, as well as book/page in case the ST isn't familiar with it

Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 3
    Well, $900 later and I finally got to take a shower.

Edit: Not chat, but also, I'm much more ready to go.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
    I did ask Cj if it was okay, but if I shouldn’t have access to it that’s fine- there’s time to change things still :)

Well now I'm even more confused because if it's okay then it's okay...
    @cj iwakura ?

Well now I'm even more confused because if it's okay then it's okay...
    @cj iwakura ?

I may have simply not been aware that it was a banisher ability. And if it's a banisher ability, it's definitely not okay, unless he's a banisher, and I'm pretty sure he's not. :P

PwSoiT0.png
    Undercover Banisher eh? Muahahaha

cj iwakura
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Yeah I am rip raring to go, though I still can't find any info on my familiar's stats. I will say the book is not organized well
    The way I understand it is, based on its specialization, it has its own dice pools that it can use towards certain things.

@Bucketman @cj iwakura
    Page 83 says ST stats up the familiar with the rules listed there. Note that, per the Merit's description, 4 dots gets you an "Embodied Familiar" rather than a "Twilight Familiar" (so you'd use the second set of stat rules on that page).

Bucketman
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    And then w/e page is mentioned there for "spirit is level 1 'squire' (see page xxx)" is where they go through an explanation of spirits and their stats/skills/what Numen actually are.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    When the book says that stats are 5/6/3 and skills are 9/6/3 I can assign those to any set I want right? Like the 6 could be in Power or Finesse or Resistance depending on how I want to build it?

I also assume some skills don't work for familiars? Like my bird can't learn Fireamrs

When the book says that stats are 5/6/3 and skills are 9/6/3 I can assign those to any set I want right? Like the 6 could be in Power or Finesse or Resistance depending on how I want to build it?

I also assume some skills don't work for familiars? Like my bird can't learn Fireamrs

Just run it by me first, so long as it's realistic... which firearms aren't, lol.

PwSoiT0.png
    So I'm thinking of putting my merits in Dream and Destiny. Seems like fun little things to do, if a little storyteller intensive.

@cj iwakura let me know how you feel about that- I'll shore things up throughout the day today.

I'm good with it, just run the finished product by me.

Is @Tox ready to go?

PwSoiT0.png
    Hey folks sorry I've been dealing with the plague this week

Sorry I'm trying