As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    If you're not ready to use nukes, MAD doesn't work. So, what's to stop a nuclear country from just taking what it wants?

But you're just saying you'd never use them you're not like scuttling the submarines and filling in the silos, the pistol is still loaded and pointed in your face

Right, so when you say you'll "never use them" you are just ... lying? All the politicians saying they'd never use them are just demonstrating they are liars?

I guess the question is also perfectly reasonable that way too. "I'd like to ask all of you directly which of you is a bald-faced liar. Show of hands please."

But at the same time, anyone who says they will use them is lying. The whole idea of MAD is that everyone has a button to destroy the opponent, so no one ever should nuke an opponent, or be immediately nuked themselves in retaliation.

It is a silly question to which the only right answer is supposed to be "yes, if an opponent nukes us"

What? No. The whole idea of MAD is that you will 100% use nukes in retaliation. That's what MAD means. You will absolutely use your nukes is what the entire thing is built on. It's not a lie in any way, shape or form to be saying "Yes, I would use them". So unless the question is specifically "Would you use them in a first strike", the answer is supposed to be "Yes".

And frankly, the question of "Would you use nukes in a first strike?" is also itself a question worth knowing the answer to.

It doesn't matter what they answer though. No one is going to invade a nuclear power because the PM answered "no" at some point. They still have the nukes, so it's the same deterrent as always.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Weird question, but since there are a lot of Guardian readers here - anyone else having an issue just over the last day or two where a new page or a page refresh jumps right to the bottom of the page? I'm getting it in both Firefox and Edge on my PC, and Firefox on my phone.

Yup! noticed yesterday but could've been going a smidge longer than that

Seems to have fixed itself now. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    So there is a rumour that the Queen has died which appears to have spread to the point that people are repeating it without knowing where it came from, so if you run across it consider the source:

(Guardian Media editor, bear in mind that if you read the thread it has screenshots of the whatsapp group including said dick pics)

There is no credible source at present claiming that the Queen has died

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    A good excuse to link the long read Guardian article about what will actually happen when the Queen dies (whatsapp is not involved)
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

dylman on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2019
    I get most of my news third hand from group chats with Burnsy and Gibbo so sounds legit to me

Edit: also there's at least one outright lie in this tweet from the palace press office, why not two

tynic on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Someone float "Weekend at Queenies" to Netflix.

• Options
    "Looking forward..." "...Trump."

Oh, the things Her Maj is forced to say.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I've always assumed her plan is to try and outlive Charles just for the lols.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I get most of my news third hand from group chats with Burnsy and Gibbo so sounds legit to me

Edit: also there's at least one outright lie in this tweet from the palace press office, why not two

If she was going to fake her death, now's the time to do it

Pop up on February 1st and feign surprise that people didn't realise that she was off hunting haggis on her estate

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I've always assumed her plan is to try and outlive Charles just for the lols.

If that's her plan she really ought to consider the CKII method to speed things up.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Including a lie like the Queen is looking forward to having Trump around does make me doubt the rest of the statement.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Including a lie like the Queen is looking forward to having Trump around does make me doubt the rest of the statement.

They can't exactly officially say on the record that "The Queen is fucking horrified that she's got to host that orange git yet a-fucking-gain". As funny as that would be.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    They could have just said preparing. Whether that's making sure all the good cutlery has been laid out or downing a bottle of scotch can be left to the reader to decide.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

They can't exactly officially say on the record that "The Queen is fucking horrified that she's got to host that orange git yet a-fucking-gain". As funny as that would be.

Would be one for the history books though

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    afedaet95yve.png

possibility of john redwood losing his seat tantalisingly close...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Redwood going would be beautiful

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I suspect a lot of horrible Tories are going to just keep their seats because not enough people decide to vote tactically. Lots of close-ish races, but a rump of supporters for the Lib Dems/Labour who will never switch mean the progressive option can't get over the line.

Exactly the kind of place where a pact would mean no Tory MP, but Labour refuses to countenance them at all. I'm sure it'd be very difficult to put into action, as local parties don't want to simply roll over and let a rival win, but still.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    They could have just said preparing. Whether that's making sure all the good cutlery has been laid out or downing a bottle of scotch can be left to the reader to decide.

Maybe we could talk Liz into taking him for a spin in a Range Rover and see what his diet of shit has done to his cardiovascular system.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I suspect a lot of horrible Tories are going to just keep their seats because not enough people decide to vote tactically. Lots of close-ish races, but a rump of supporters for the Lib Dems/Labour who will never switch mean the progressive option can't get over the line.

Exactly the kind of place where a pact would mean no Tory MP, but Labour refuses to countenance them at all. I'm sure it'd be very difficult to put into action, as local parties don't want to simply roll over and let a rival win, but still.

It's definitely a problem. I'm sure those Labour and Green voters will be very happy with their Tory MP over a Lib Dem, not.

• Options
    Raab, Johnson himself, Gove and many other absolute shitcannons could be scrabbling around for a lucrative career as a right-wing tabloid dickhead if Labour and the Lib Dems could agree to stand down against each other in their constituencies. I think Gove is in danger of losing his seat anyway, which would be exquisite.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    afedaet95yve.png

possibility of john redwood losing his seat tantalisingly close...

Labour should pull out and support the lib dems on this one. they have very little chance of winning.

• Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    Gove got 64% of the vote last time in Surrey Heath with Labour getting 21%. That would be quite the turnaround.

• Options
    Hang on, scratch that. I mean it may be close but the thing I read wasn't from a journalist but from a campaigner. Mistook their name for a similar one.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    A London commuter writes:

To be fair to Ken, at this point he's probably had the words "You're Ken Livingstone, you should know better, what are you doing?" shouted at him so many times he just tunes them out completely.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    But did he mention Hitler when he did it?

• Options
    But did he mention Hitler when he did it?

You know who would've made the trains run on time?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    At least the trains ran...

Bogart

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Particularly annoying is him shouting "You're trying to push me over" when the guy is clearly just trying to make him get his fucking foot out of the door because he's holding up the train.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Question to those of you living in the UK especially: as far as the apparent inability of the parties that either support Remain or a second referendum to work together in the coming election is concerned, do you think this is due mainly to the parties themselves, the political system or something else? I'm asking because I'm constantly amazed by how constructive cooperation seems to be entirely impossible in UK politics.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Partly it's the first past the post voting system, in which the number of votes doesn't matter, just who gets the most in each constituency. So the Lib Dems can poll 15% of the votes and get 3% of the MPs (and UKIP can poll 10% and get none).

Partly it's due to the parties themselves, with a leader saying "no pacts" and scuppering any chance that way. Labour still haven't forgiven the Lib Dems for the original 4 MPs leaving in the 80's to form the SDP and splitting the vote then, so they aren't likely to make nice now.

The Lib Dems, the Greens and Plaid Cymru have made an electoral pact to not stand in around 60 constituencies if the other parties have a better chance (in practice this basically means the Lib Dems get a slightly freer road than was otherwise the case), but the only one that'll really matter is if Labour and the Lib Dems sort something out.

In Scotland the SNP make a third (mostly) progressive party that's eating the lunch of both of the other parties, and I doubt they'll stand down anywhere as basically every Scottish seat is winnable for them, and their fundamental aim is so divergent from the way the other parties see things.

AV voting would solve some of this, as would PR voting. Electoral pacts would help salve the damage as well, though with how wildly some seats are swinging it'd be difficult to get hard evidence on who should stand down and where that would convince whomever was going to be the candidate and now has to sit at home and play Yahtzee on their own.

• Options
    There is a combination of historical distrust, idealogical disagreement and personal dislike between the Labour Party and the Lib Dems. The SNP have good as won any seat in Scotland and the Greens are tiny.

• Options
    I think the current Labour leadership's ideal solution to the progressive vote being split is for the Lib Dems to quietly pack it all in and go home.

• Options
    In a lot of ways it's a shame Farage put his hands up and surrendered the Brexit party in such a craven fashion. The rightwing vote splitting would have been a great help.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for the answers.
    Are there any countries where FPTP and de-facto two-party systems (though this seems to be weakening in the UK, even if the system doesn't really seem to reflect this well) have proven to be a net positive?
    P.S.: On a different note: Has the style sheet for the forums changed? I don't remember there being these big spaces between paragraphs, since I used to put those in manually.)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Forum bugs go in the forum bug sub-forum.

It'll get worse if Johnson gets a majority, as the Conservative boundary changes will probably go ahead and make it even more difficult for other parties to win seats. It's arguable that the boundary changes would make the constituency distribution more equitable, but that's not the purpose of the Tories doing it. If they were interested in fairness and representation they wouldn't be pushing voter ID and never ever contemplating PR or AV voting.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers.
    Are there any countries where FPTP and de-facto two-party systems (though this seems to be weakening in the UK, even if the system doesn't really seem to reflect this well) have proven to be a net positive?
    P.S.: On a different note: Has the style sheet for the forums changed? I don't remember there being these big spaces between paragraphs, since I used to put those in manually.)

I know some might disagree, but Australia fits that, for the most part. Two main parties (though the conservative party is really a permanent alliance of two parties, business and farmers, for all real purposes), a couple of smaller parties, and it works out mostly OK.

Our conservatives are rat bastards, but compared to the US and the UK conservatives, are relatively milquetoast. Our compulsory voting attendance*, and fairly stringent electoral funding and advertising laws means that true shitheels like Anning and Hanson are relegated to the fringes, because while they have rabid fanbases, the amount of more reasonable options, means they rarely get power, and when they do, it tends to be very limited.

* It's not compulsory to vote, you just have to attend the voting station and get your name marked off, but most people who get there, vote anyway. Meaning Australian elections aren't about turnout either.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My experience from Canada with the NDP vs Liberal split is that if you take the different groups on the left out from under the same umbrella and make them different parties, they will let the usual hate you see them display for each bloom into full blown "we will never cooperate with you" loathing. So you end up with the centre-to-left vote split no matter what.

The Lib/Lab split seems to have many similar qualities.

shryke on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2019
    MorganV wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers.

I know some might disagree, but Australia fits that, for the most part.

Except it doesn't because we don't have FPTP

To me that's a critical part of political disengagement which allows for the rise of populists - it's easier to feel like your vote doesn't matter under FPTP systems.

tynic on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Thanks for the answers.

To me that's a critical part of political disengagement which allows for the rise of populists - it's easier to feel like your vote doesn't matter under FPTP systems.

The vast majority of the time it doesn't. :(

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Thanks for the answers.

I thought you had Ranked Choice Voting, which is a form of FPTP. One that basically solves the vote splitting issue, but still first past the post.

This discussion has been closed.