Options

It's a good [job] thread, Elmo

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    11waof51rywp.jpeg

That's some shameful organization right there. There's a whole half-cushion that isn't taken up by dog.

Clearly, you need either an additional dog, or you need to increase the size of your existing dog.

I really wanna know whose face is on that pillow.

Trace on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    A spider dropped down out of my Afro and then pulled shadow of colossus to run around the back of my collar before I shed my bullet proof vest to get him to f**** off

Graveyard shift

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm still on 8.1 because I'm a stubborn arsehole. I'll upgrade to 10 in a couple of years when I upgrade my whole computer.

8.1 wasn't bad, but there's so much quality of life stuff on 10, that when I had an old enterprise 8.1 laptop and 10 on my desktop, it lasted less than a day before I bought an extra license.

edit: the real reason i feel like evangelizing 10 is that a couple of months ago i pulled out an old mac mini and apple was like you can't upgrade it to the latest OS lol, and that means you can't use the app store olol

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »
    the scariest part is still running win 7 up until now

Haha, yeah, who would do that

Heh

Ahem.

Windows 10 is good and the upgrade from 7 is free.

I thought that was just for the first year and now if you're going 7-->10 you gotta pay like everyone else (I imagine Bill Gates saying this in a 30's gangster voice).

Microsoft stopped promoting it and said there would be a point at which they would cut off your ability and you'd have to pay... except they never turned off those servers or the ability to activate the license that way. They want you to pay, sure, but it's overall better for the ecosystem - and their bottom line - to keep you on an up-to-date Windows install, and they don't really care if you use their old license upgrade path (I mean, they offered it to everyone to begin with, after all) so they're probably not turning off the ability to go 7 -> 10 until after 7 goes belly-up.

There is a chance that the license upgrade servers do get switched off when 7 end-of-life's next year, though, so I'd strongly recommend people make the upgrade before then (it's so much faster) - unless you're planning a MoBo upgrade in the next couple months, in which case do that first, then upgrade.

You can just straight up install Windows 10 for free, no previous version of Windows required. It's fully functional other than custom backgrounds, they just don't advertise this for obvious reasons.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    11waof51rywp.jpeg

That's some shameful organization right there. There's a whole half-cushion that isn't taken up by dog.

Clearly, you need either an additional dog, or you need to increase the size of your existing dog.

I don't think I could ever own a Berner but they're an easy top 3 for dogs I would uncle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    I don't know about a bigwig. But definitely a wig of some notable size.

Accurate.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Heh

Ahem.

I thought that was just for the first year and now if you're going 7-->10 you gotta pay like everyone else (I imagine Bill Gates saying this in a 30's gangster voice).

Microsoft stopped promoting it and said there would be a point at which they would cut off your ability and you'd have to pay... except they never turned off those servers or the ability to activate the license that way. They want you to pay, sure, but it's overall better for the ecosystem - and their bottom line - to keep you on an up-to-date Windows install, and they don't really care if you use their old license upgrade path (I mean, they offered it to everyone to begin with, after all) so they're probably not turning off the ability to go 7 -> 10 until after 7 goes belly-up.

There is a chance that the license upgrade servers do get switched off when 7 end-of-life's next year, though, so I'd strongly recommend people make the upgrade before then (it's so much faster) - unless you're planning a MoBo upgrade in the next couple months, in which case do that first, then upgrade.

You can just straight up install Windows 10 for free, no previous version of Windows required. It's fully functional other than custom backgrounds, they just don't advertise this for obvious reasons.

Unless you need to run some aggressively Windows-specific apps, you can also just not stay with Windows.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Heh

Ahem.

Unless you need to run some aggressively Windows-specific apps, you can also just not stay with Windows.

...if you game at all, well, good luck.

I'm also not sure where that leaves you with photo and video editing, or some of the other things people do if they're bothering with a laptop or desktop in 2019.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »

Heh

Ahem.

...if you game at all, well, good luck.

I'm also not sure where that leaves you with photo and video editing, or some of the other things people do if they're bothering with a laptop or desktop in 2019.

I do game. The good luck happened about 18 months ago, and there are literally thousands of games working now.

There are lot of people who have a use case that requires them to stay on windows, not least because their job forces them to. Normal home use, including gaming is not one of those cases. There will be some games that don't work, usually because of 'Anti-cheat' software being required, or because of unusually intrusive DRM, so if you have to play those particular games, then I guess you have to keep with Windows.

I don't know enough about video editing to make any definite pronouncement, but there are certainly options.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Good to see that gaming is finally improving beyond the hellscape it used to be. Still seeing some games I personally play regularly not working, but that is an impressive roster they have got working.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'd like to thank Vanilla for deploying a patch that requires individual attention from me on a fucking saturday

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I'd like to thank Vanilla for deploying a patch that requires individual attention from me on a fucking saturday

Someone better buy Tube an apology in the form of a full bottle of someone else's best Scotch!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    FRIDAX!

Going to meet co-workers for drinks later, dragging the lady along with me.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Bleh, some folks in our group are going to have to go on a trip next week to another office to see some software and how it works, something like a 3-4 hour drive each way. 2 people out of a 3 person group, actually. I'm really hoping for once that I'm the least important person in the group.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

To be fair all of us dorks should have kept track of the emails we used to sign up here.

Thanks btw. You're an exceptional dude and if I knew where to send it I would totally buy you all the scotch.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

To be fair all of us dorks should have kept track of the emails we used to sign up here.

Thanks btw. You're an exceptional dude and if I knew where to send it I would totally buy you all the scotch.

You can just send it to Tube @ the Penny Arcade offices, he'll get it eventually.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Amusingly, I just changed my password about a week ago. Now I get to do it again!

sig.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Amusingly, I just changed my password about a week ago. Now I get to do it again!

I have been lazy and not changed it in years so unlike everything else I change every 90 days or less this sat still the same password

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I'm gonna upgrade to 10 soon, but I also need to upgrade my boot drive. Would it make more sense to upgrade Windows and then clone the drive?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'd like to thank Vanilla for deploying a patch that requires individual attention from me on a fucking Saturday

I was still on my old password from when I originally registered over a decade ago. Now I don't use that password anywhere anymore!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'd like to thank Vanilla for deploying a patch that requires individual attention from me on a fucking Saturday

I was still on my old password from when I originally registered over a decade ago. Now I don't use that password anywhere anymore!
    I was in a similar situation, and I thought to myself "maybe I should change it?" So I did.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sent out $400 on family to help.

Musing on the data on who remembers my actions and actually pays me back.

Also musing on who offered a metaphorical map to buried treasure as opposed to putting money in my hand.

Doctor this week noticed that I look healthier. Not stressing on family cancer helps.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Found out this morning that the real estate entity that owns the complex my workplace is located in hasn't been paying the power bill.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

Appreciate the huge announcement, at least. I got my Gmail account long enough ago that it worked

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Found out this morning that the real estate entity that owns the complex my workplace is located in hasn't been paying the power bill.

Uhhhhh, by complex, you dont mean that entire block?

......and by found out....

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Uhhhhh, by complex, you dont mean that entire block?

......and by found out....

Yes, and no we still have power, I just got a notice in the mail because city light is reaching out to all tenants I guess.

• Options
    But.....that.....that should not.....

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just got back from driving to Saint Paul, MN for the wake for one of my uncles. There yesterday, back today. Observations.

1. Apple Maps gets far more interesting immediately on entering Minnesota and is not just a straight blue line for 290 miles through Iowa.
    2. This was the first time in my life driving to Saint Paul where there wasn't major road construction going on somewhere on the route causing massive slow downs.
    3. One benefit of Iowa over Minnesota, you can look at the wind turbines the whole way. You basically always see at least one at all times and sometimes hundreds stretching all the way to the horizon with many more under construction.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I just got back from driving to Saint Paul, MN for the wake for one of my uncles. There yesterday, back today. Observations.

1. Apple Maps gets far more interesting immediately on entering Minnesota and is not just a straight blue line for 290 miles through Iowa.
    2. This was the first time in my life driving to Saint Paul where there wasn't major road construction going on somewhere on the route causing massive slow downs.
    3. One benefit of Iowa over Minnesota, you can look at the wind turbines the whole way. You basically always see at least one at all times and sometimes hundreds stretching all the way to the horizon with many more under construction.

So one of the things facing the breadbasket is that everyone is cutting down the tree barriers planted during the great depression (the original trees had been cut down during the previous decades) to break up the wind and keeping everything from becoming a dust bowl. I wonder if wind turbines could perform the same duty.

I mean we should replant trees for sure, but maybe there's an additional modern solution to the problem as well.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

So one of the things facing the breadbasket is that everyone is cutting down the tree barriers planted during the great depression (the original trees had been cut down during the previous decades) to break up the wind and keeping everything from becoming a dust bowl. I wonder if wind turbines could perform the same duty.

I mean we should replant trees for sure, but maybe there's an additional modern solution to the problem as well.

Not sure turbines can be dense enough? Part of the reason trees work is they become more or less solid barriers once grown, though I could be wrong on how dense they need to be for that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The roots also anchor the topsoil, which is the main thing you need to retain to prevent dust bowl creation. Still need trees to do the job properly.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The good news is that the agricultural practices that led to the dust bowl are deader than Warren G. Harding. Common wisdom back then was that depleted soil could be refreshed by replacing the worn-out stuff with fresh new dirt from up to a foot down using deep chisel plows. Of course, all this did was bury your actual topsoil under a foot of dirt with as much organic content as Play-Doh, which would instantly start to wash and blow away.

Since the 90s, no-till agriculture has become nearly ubiquitous, in which farmers plow stubble just deep enough to sever the roots of weeds and churn all the organic matter into the top few inches of soil. Even in parts of the country dominated by irrigated monoculture, the soil itself is in the best shape it's been since it was first farmed.

There are terrible looming problems like deepening drought cycles driven by climate change and depleting aquifers and fertilizer runoff and biodiversity collapse and agribusiness patent trolls, but mass desertification like we saw in the 20s is not really on the table.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The roots also anchor the topsoil, which is the main thing you need to retain to prevent dust bowl creation. Still need trees to do the job properly.

Which was my argument of the wild grass that was in my yard before I turned it into a wasteland of dirt
    As I pointed out all the dirt that washes down the drain when it rains or piles up in the street during high winds. Alas the code enforcement officer was an idiot they wanted it to look "nice"

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have an interview Wednesday for the next step of that talent initiative. I've been studying all week, but I'm probably overthinking it. Itsa 30 minute interview with some skill test questions for people just graduating with their bachelors or masters in computer related fields who want security jobs. I probably didn't need to spend most of the day going over IPv6 Subnetting vs IPv4 and DNS Tunneling. Probably...

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have an interview Wednesday for the next step of that talent initiative. I've been studying all week, but I'm probably overthinking it. Itsa 30 minute interview with some skill test questions for people just graduating with their bachelors or masters in computer related fields who want security jobs. I probably didn't need to spend most of the day going over IPv6 Subnetting vs IPv4 and DNS Tunneling. Probably...

IPv6 subnetting is basically: we have enough addresses, don’t worry about it, right?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So for the last few years my team at work has been changing. Personel, titles, bosses, etc. we're basically in a constant state of flux.

As such our "team" email only really goes to about half of the team, and anybody else you just need to include in manually.

Finally, after 2 years, the IT team have fixed this and we now have a working Team email. Hooray!

It's 72 characters long. before the @ .

I just want to cry.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    ihavefixedyourteamemailsoicanclosethisticketandgohome@havaspot.com

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Does

Does your email program have autocomplete?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah we use outlook so we've got that going for us at least.

But what about our vendors? third parties? other people in the industry?

It's ludicrous.

I'm so out of evens I have no more odds.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah we use outlook so we've got that going for us at least.

But what about our vendors? third parties? other people in the industry?

It's ludicrous.

I'm so out of evens I have no more odds.

You need to tell them "hahaha*no, give us an email address usable by actual humans."

(the wildcard may be replaced by your choice of cuss)

This discussion has been closed.