Options

[Thanksgiving] is but once a year (mostly)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You know what would really help you go to sleep? Just a whole mess of turkey.

Wait. That's not helping, is it?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is a dry brine the same thing as a rub?

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think its like a rub with really high salt content?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I think its like a rub with really high salt content?

Exactly.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    You Southern Hemisphere counterpart over here demands photos because I am homesick only around this time of year.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    KetBra wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Maybe it's a southern thing? But growing up the idea of having a Thanksgiving without mac and cheese would have been the ravings of a mad man.

I have never had mac and cheese for thanksgiving, ever.

Turkey, ham, stuffing, cranberry sauce, perogies, kielbasa, cabbage rolls, salad, vegetables, that's the standards for my family. Though... we're Ukrainian-Canadian, so that may explain some things

Oh, and mashed potatoes, too.

my family does mac and cheese, mostly just due to popular demand

this year I'm doing a nice baked mac and cheese instead of buying the usually bowls of bob evans mac from the grocery store

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I have a truly amazing recipe for mac and cheese. The box stuff is garbage though.

There's also a craft brewpub here in Singapore that has a mac and cheese with egg yolk and char siew that I would literally fight someone over.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Egg yolk makes anything better. I've yet to find an example that doesn't work with.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    made the mistake of eating like a jerk yesterday, while staying up to read.
    Body has been in complete rebellion today.
    I should probably skip the 5 hour trip for thanksgiving tomorrow.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Egg yolk makes anything better. I've yet to find an example that doesn't work with.

Red wine.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The bird is brined. Now, we wait.

McbYZ4b.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Pumpkin pies are made.

But my turkey does not really seem to be defrosting at all....

Throw it in the brine bucket and leave it in the kitchen, just check the temp every once in a while to make sure it's not above 40f

You can brine and defrost at the same time.

I do dry brine, but I would not be above tossing it in a bucketful of white wine.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I have a truly amazing recipe for mac and cheese. The box stuff is garbage though.

There's also a craft brewpub here in Singapore that has a mac and cheese with egg yolk and char siew that I would literally fight someone over.

What would it take to get said recipes?

sarukun on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hey , just wanted to say I'm thankful for you jerks <3

• Options
    Oh, god. I don't want to drive four hours in the rain starting midafternoon. Didn't I hear that we were supposed to be getting a hyperloop between Amarillo and OKC? Is that up and running yet?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Aaaaaand the oven has decided that it's going to stop working correctly.

Turkey on the grill it is!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Oh my god I completely forgot the stuffing recipe I use is a web of deceit

It says 30 minutes of active prep which is a LIE. It’s at least 90 minutes. It advises roasting 2 pounds of mushrooms at 500 degrees until they’re dry for 20 minutes which is also a LIE. There is no dimension where you can sweat that many mushrooms that fast. You blend shallots and herbs and butter together to season bread cubes, which releases a cloud of onion-eye-hurting juice when you open the blender

It produces a really, really good dish but goddamn the recipe SUCKS

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Now you know what must be done. Pass it along to someone else so the curse can continue on.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Is fish a typo there or are you stuffing a fish?

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Oheheh hee hee ahem!!

Th-hee--Thanksgiving is c-haehee-CANCELLED, everyone!!

I'm sorry! It's cancelled thisyear

hahahaHAHEEHEHEE

GOTTCHA HAPPY PRANKSGIVING EVERYONE

• Options
    Maaaaan my cornbread looks terrible

Fortunately it tastes amazing

Sadly it will be doled out in shapeless piles instead of beautiful squares

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Packing the caravan to go to the woods

The labby is surrounded by snacks and toys in the far back of the outback

I have had a very serious conversation with him that I expect it all to arrive at the cabin intact

He seemed to understand
    9ug3sw878xhc.jpeg

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Maaaaan my cornbread looks terrible

Fortunately it tastes amazing

Sadly it will be doled out in shapeless piles instead of beautiful squares

As a shapeless pile I take offense.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Next door neighbor offered up their second oven for the turkey, so the day is saved!

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    We've made so much great food for Thanksgiving at our friend's place with high quality frito pie, home made cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and a Nantucket cranberry pie. Meanwhile they're smoking a turkey and going all in on top notch mashed potatoes and stuffing.

Of course, I've been sick since yesterday and won't be able to go. So I'm sending a picture of myself taped to a popsicle stick for the kids and my wife's bringing back a plate and a couple tupperware tubs full of food.

• Options
    Second oven?!

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Second oven?!

Having two is one of the best things in the world when you're cooking for a lot of people.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My wife and I have been eating a lot lower carb lately.

The stuffing this year is a recipe she found made with cauliflower and holy fuck it is good.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Cauliflower is the fucking urvegetable, and I should put it in more things.

Edit: slapdashed two kinda of mashed potatoes (with the slightly undercooked chunks in ‘em like I like) and did the cranberry sauce and took the turkey out of the fridge because the damn thing steadfastly refuses to thaw and I need it thawed by tomorrow so I can brine the motherfucker. Only the stuffing and creamed corn remain, plus a last minute pumpkin soup I decided to use the remaining pumpkins from the pumpkin pie for. Stuffing will be Sunday after the turkey, corn, soup on Saturday plus gonna grab a Costco salad and a few other things.

sarukun on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My turkey just needs to rest now. Must be patient.

• Options
    Getting texts from the family suggesting that I was supposed to be there for lunch today.

Motherfuckers, scroll up like ten messages and you will see that we all agreed that Thanksgiving was tomorrow. We didn't even know whether Amarillo was going to be an icy hell or not until about an hour ago, I will be there for dinner with fresh bread and you will like it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My belly is full of food and beer.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jose Andres is doing good things for this world. Bless him and his team.

Right

Nantucket cranberry pie? I am most curious.

Also, cauliflower stuffing?
    Recipe please!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Second oven?!

Having two is one of the best things in the world when you're cooking for a lot of people.

The dryer? well you could modify it to be a roaster

• Options
    We have a double oven which is fantastic.

• Options
    I am so full

My god

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just put my turkey in the smoker about 45 minutes ago. It is a perfect day for smoking, cool, wind free and sunny. I just got a Thermoworks Dot, a single leave in probe. I'm excited not to have to check the turkey, just watch the temperature rise until it's spot on.

Next year though I'm getting a Signals (4 probes) and a billows attachment, which automatically regulates airflow for precise temperature management. God I love smoking food.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Our friends' kids were excited to see me
    T6G6zPhl.jpg
    The food was great
    A5QA6gbl.jpg
    And we had a great time playing Adventure Games after the meal
    nwE21d3l.jpg