As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Just don't end up as Ned please.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Getting hit by a bunch of snow/ice right now. My boss said everyone can go home early. Nice of her...but not great for me. I'm the only hourly person in the department so I'll need to make up the time somehow.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Brexit has really brought the fuckwits out of the woodwork at my job.

One of the managers is "proud to be British" because they saw no EU flag flying at work.

There's never been an EU flag....

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Yesterday I found out that my younger brother was fired from his eye glasses store job because he had to leave his store (he was the manager) to take his 18-month daughter (my niece), throwing up, out of her daycare and go to the hospital. Niece is doing better after being treated for the flu, pneumonia, and an inner ear infection (I think she had the flu originally and it got worse).

By all accounts, it sounded he exhausted all options to get someone else to take her daughter (mommy couldn't leave work, too, grandparents and reliable friends unable to) and it was up to him to do the only/right thing. He even had PTO to use but was given an ultimatum (by his supervisor, I'm guessing) to choose either his job or his kid in the middle of an emergency.

I'm proud of my brother for doing the right thing here and I'm extremely outraged that his now former company had the gall to make someone choose on the spot like that. Makes me grateful for how understanding my bosses are where I work if the same thing happens to my kids and I hope my brother can find a job more deserving of his character and principals.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Yesterday I found out that my younger brother was fired from his eye glasses store job because he had to leave his store (he was the manager) to take his 18-month daughter (my niece), throwing up, out of her daycare and go to the hospital. Niece is doing better after being treated for the flu, pneumonia, and an inner ear infection (I think she had the flu originally and it got worse).

By all accounts, it sounded he exhausted all options to get someone else to take her daughter (mommy couldn't leave work, too, grandparents and reliable friends unable to) and it was up to him to do the only/right thing. He even had PTO to use but was given an ultimatum (by his supervisor, I'm guessing) to choose either his job or his kid in the middle of an emergency.

I'm proud of my brother for doing the right thing here and I'm extremely outraged that his now former company had the gall to make someone choose on the spot like that. Makes me grateful for how understanding my bosses are where I work if the same thing happens to my kids and I hope my brother can find a job more deserving of his character and principals.

I'm guessing it isn't, because america is trash, but the should be illegal and grounds for a criminal negligence lawsuit.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

One of the managers is "proud to be British" because they saw no EU flag flying at work.

This reminds me of the people that thought Obama was going to "give" the states to the UN.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Got accepted into the mentor training program which is the first step to coaching so that is cool.

They gave everyone these stainless steel coffee cups today and someone joked about coronavirus because the cups were made in China and I'm kind of tripping.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Oh, Excel thread, have I mentioned that XLookUp is boss? And Filter as well? I'm doing things in Excel with a real simple Filter that I used to use a Match, Small, Index, array monstrosity to achieve.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Got accepted into the mentor training program which is the first step to coaching so that is cool.

They gave everyone these stainless steel coffee cups today and someone joked about coronavirus because the cups were made in China and I'm kind of tripping.

For the virus to live on a inert item would be interesting and almost impossible

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Love to get code with comments written in Japanese

I mean, it was probably never intended originally to be read by someone who was not a native-Japanese speaker, but I'm grumpy and self-centered.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I did not get the university purchasing job. Damn. It would have paid well but i think it might have ended up exceptionally boring after a year.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I did not get the university purchasing job. Damn. It would have paid well but i think it might have ended up exceptionally boring after a year.

As a person in a slight bit of a lull right now after close to a year of constant busy.....boring is nice sometimes.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

It's an inhospitable surface for that virus. Those cups are probably months old, if not older. The manufacture may have been done in China but the printing was likely local from stock they've had a long time. You're fine, and your coworker is a dick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Interview and presentation lasted for over an hour, so I'm feeling pretty good. I was the last candidate so they should be notifying me soonish (I'm guessing a week, maybe before the weekend).

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Today was a good day at work, albeit frustratingly achieved. Had to spend 2-3 hours on one ticket with a vendor but finally got a software working right for a client, and also got 2 Macs to cooperate with me long enough to achieve the goals of those tickets. Hooray for resolving problems!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

I would start bringing in an EU flag, like a little desk one or a pin

Just to spite them.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Nah, it'll be rad. In the After Times, the Encs will occupy one of the surviving basement offices and terrify the new faculty with obscure prophesies and portents.
    Where lies the strangling fruit that came from the hand of the administration I shall bring forth the spores of the mold to share with the direct reports that gather in the darkness and surround campus with the smoke of the air conditioning while from the dimlit halls of other places forms that never were and never could be writhe for the impatience of the few who never saw what could have been. In the brown water with the sun shining at midnight, those accounts shall come due and in the darkness of that which is golden shall split open to reveal the revelation of the fatal softness in the building walls. The shadows of the accounting department are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear, but whether it decays under the earth or above on green fields, or out to sea or in the very air, all shall come to revelation, and to revel, in the knowledge of the strangling fruit—and the hand of the sinner shall rejoice, for there is no sin in shadow or in light that the attorneys in HR cannot forgive. And there shall be in the planting in the shadows a grace and a mercy from which shall blossom dark flowers, and their teeth shall misappropriate and deny and herald the passing of an age. That which dies shall still know life in death for all that donates is not forgotten and reanimated it shall walk the world in the bliss of not-knowing. And then there shall be a fire that knows the naming of you, and in the presence of the strangling fruit, its dark flame shall acquire every part of you that remains.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I was interviewed on a local cable TV show tonight about the work I do. Seems like it went well but I keep going over it in my mind, hoping I didn't accidentally insult some affiliate or partner with my babbling. The hosts seemed happy and applauded me after the cameras were off, so that was nice.

Afterwards some old fella in the studio chatted my ear off and tried to recruit me for the Rotary Club saying they need people with my talents. I have to admit I am a little curious, but then again the Rotary doesn't have those awesome mini cars and fez hats like the Shriners do.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    It's fine if I back-date paperwork a couple weeks if the paperwork should have been done up months ago, right?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    We have a new hire who is not "working out", and my manager is on vacation until next week. I'm having flashbacks to the time I worked retail and my manager then was out for two weeks on her honeymoon. I kept hearing that she wanted this one employee "gone by the time she returned".

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Not here, obviously, but you should name and shame that business on social media. Fuck em.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    If it's one of the chain stores, I'm sure their corporate office would love to hear about that incident.

• Options
    Aren't all eyeglasses stores owned by the same mega corporation? I doubt anyone can shame them because they've got a monopoly on the entire industry.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I think that's manufacturer, not store

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I think that's manufacturer, not store
    No, the manufacturer owns the stores, too.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    My team is supposed to be 5 people. In Q1 last year we were only 2, but me and Other Guy got along pretty well so it wasn't too bad. In Q2 last year, 3rd Guy comes in but it's a bit of a wash because he and Other Guy don't get along at all.
    Earlier this month, we get New Guy. Getting closer to that 5-person team, on which our workload is based! Oh but now Other Guy and 3rd Guy are leaving.

I'd be mad but it's highly likely I'm leaving, too... Maybe 3 months, but I'm trying to restrain myself from getting my hopes too high.

And the big boss has the audacity to question why we're behind on our deliverables.
    Truly though, I feel for her, turnover is like this through our entire division. She must be tearing her hair out. The place is just imploding. I had a talk with HR because they want to figure out why this is happening. There are things they could change, sure, but also relatively few people want to work in this city long-term.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So I finished my orientation yesterday since the day before with the computers being down I only had less than 30 minutes left
    I was not given my schedule so I asked the flaky manager who asked could I help out Cap 2 but to do chemicals. I did about 5 pallets in about 4 hours So he asked could I stay till 8 and help out some more
    My complaint the same from yesterday was from what I saw in doing chemicals I still outworked the person in paper and various other people
    I heard the comment that my not manager is fighting for his job {yay} Because I was making fun of I got written up for far less than what was going on to which the overnight manager said I know that's one of the points that was discussed
    So now I am scared that I am going to be tossed into that mess to fix it once again

You need to be running this place.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

@ani_game_bum PLEASE urge your brother to file a grievance with the corporation and/or state. "At will" means you can be fired for no reason but not for a bad reason. This is likely a violation of company and/or state labor law/policy and should be pursued. If nothing else, brother should get severance and/or unemployment.

IANAL but he should talk to one.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Tell your brother to go to the media. Destroy the store with the story, or get corporate to give him a promotion for goodwill after firing the manager.

• Options
    Also yes, lawyer. That specifically is a red flag reason in many at will states.

• Options
    Sound the horns, beat the drums.

It is Fridax!

• Options
    It's Thursday.

• Options
    Fridax is whatever the last day of your work week is.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I have to work for only three hours on Friday so I treat Thursday like Fridax even though it isn't.

• Options
    That's not how words work!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    He said friDAX not friDAY

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ya know we get a lot of snow usually. This season this has been the biggest snowfall so far, and its only 6 inches.

But boy everything is fucked. Left 10 minutes early and got in 10 minutes late. Between sickness and snow only about 2/3rds of staff showed up. I work with the security department but my desk is in the call center and its a skeleton crew.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    That's not how words work!

Well it depends if you're talking about painting the floor or painting the floor.

You tell me.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    He said friDAX not friDAY

I could see Xday, where X is the variable. But changing "Frida" with another letter doesn't change the day!

• Options
    I live in an uncertain world filled with sorrow and chaos, language is one of the few constants that remain. Don't destroy it. Please.

This discussion has been closed.