[movie] thread: slam in the back of my jackula

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    A remake of 2p9mnodys9q5.jpg
    in 3d. I think we deserve that.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Saw Upgrade last night. The fight scenes were really great - fun camera work, supported by a REAL strong physical performance from the lead.

But the story surrounding those fight scenes... Yeesh. Some real "baby's first cyberpunk" vibes. Would be nice if somebody involved had read, like, one Gibson novel. Any of 'em, really. Or even just his quote about how the future has already arrived, it just isn't evenly distributed.

The movie would occasionally gesture weakly toward a billboard in the distance that says "CLASS ISSUES?" and then go ahead and make every single poor person a villain.

And just my absolute least favorite, most boring take on artificial intelligence.

There are some interesting pieces to the world, but boy did I not care for their arrangement.

Outside of any further comparison, Sharlto Copley copley did a similar thing for District 9. Niche, kinda gimmicky sci-fi flick, pretty flawed, but a very strong central performance (with some physical demands) within that framework, from an "unknown" actor.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    A remake of 2p9mnodys9q5.jpg
    in 3d. I think we deserve that.

They recast the part with Kit Harrington, though

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I never saw the complete Sam Neil - Merlin series, but what little I saw was awesome.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    I never saw the complete Sam Neil - Merlin series, but what little I saw was awesome.

I own it on DVD and digital!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    wandering wrote: »
    Yes I've got only the hottest and freshest references to Monty Python and a movie from the early 2000's that literally everyone has forgotten

some of us remember

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I still want a series of movies or a tv miniseries based on TH White's Once and Future King

isnt the disney one based on that

Sort of!

The Disney one is based on the standalone version of The Sword In The Stone, which is part of the Once and Future King tetralogy.

This might sound like splitting hairs, but the standalone version was published about twenty year before the composite edition, and there were a number of changes that were made for the composite edition, both in order to make the story work better between the at times disparate books and to reflect White's overall shift in worldview over the past two decades.

the best part of White's writing in The Once and Future King is how he quickly uses anachronistic shorthand to get you on board with what's going on. Like he'll describe a scene and the characters are drinking port, and he'll have an aside where he's like Obviously they weren't drinking port because that wasn't invented yet, but if i used the real thing here you wouldn't know what the fuck I was talking about and it serves the same purpose, so let's imagine it was port. It makes it feel way more like an oral history.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Miranda Richardson owned as Mab and Lady of the Lake.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Demi Adejuyigbe has a tweet about Wes Anderson movies being whitesploitation flicks and

Wow

Yeah that nails it

CYpGAPn.png
  • notyanotya Registered User regular
    I have a theory that in Wes Anderson movies, every single character is just another Wes Anderson stand in. Probably why it's mostly filled with people like him.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Although my favorite King Arthur story is the death of King Arthur and it wouldn't really support that I guess

Okay but

They should adapt that anyway so that we can get a movie/series/whatever with Dinadan in it

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    watching Ford v Ferrari

this movie is dadbait

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Miranda Richardson owned as Mab and Lady of the Lake.

The way Merlin defeats Mab is pretty fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxiLUEgN6vQ

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Happiness is within reach!
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    In black and white you can really smell the farts.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't understand what whitesploitation means

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    In black and white you can really smell the farts.

I'm pretty sure any eminations coming from Dafoe or Pattinson in the Lighthouse could strip the varnish off a footlocker.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't understand what whitesploitation means
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaxploitation but the opposite

Happiness is within reach!
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    There’s lots of key traits of exploitation films that Wes Anderson movies absolutely lack so the joke is funny but not really accurate

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    In a sense it's well worn territory, but I'd be pretty down for more straight laced adaptations of Arthurian myth

Preferably some of those that have gotten less attention, but honestly I'll take it all
    How about a film called King Arthur but there's no round table, no sword in the stone, no magic, and the movie takes place in Rome for some reason, and also Guinevere is an archer who prefers not to wear any clothing

It took place in Britain! But they were Roman conscripts who decided to stay behind when their term was up and Rome pulled out

Which is not a bad way to try to do a semi-historical version of Arthur, it's just that the movie wasn't good on its own

The Clive Owen King Arthur isn't great, but having watched it for the first time a couple months ago I absolutely loved everything it tried to do. For example, the first introduction of the knights is pretty spectacular for how fast each knight's base temperament, fighting style, and role in the team is presented. There are so many bits and pieces that just indicate a lot of thought and effort went into them despite the movie being an also ran

It's basically the opposite of the Taron Edgerton Robin Hood where there are some pretty fun and expressive ideas that are executed by fucking idiots with no taste.

Also King Arthur wasn't the least bit helped by casting Clive Owen. I have a soft spot for Clive, but he's a very dull leading man. If you want Clive to enhance your film he has to play the straight man to a much more fantastical setting/plot/villain

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Yes I've got only the hottest and freshest references to Monty Python and a movie from the early 2000's that literally everyone has forgotten

some of us remember

The only thing I remember is Merlin watching people get it on through candle wax doppelgangers.

Like the only reason Shoot 'Em Up is even remotely watchable is because of Paul Giamatti spending the whole movie ranting about the ridiculousness of Clive Owen's character and Clive's ability to just fucking no-sell narrative causality whenever he wants

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I have a soft spot for Clive, but he's a very dull leading man. If you want Clive to enhance your film he has to play the straight man to a much more fantastical setting/plot/villain

This has put into words the thing I've never been quite able to identify about why and when I love Clive Owen.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    It took me a while to figure out!

The real key for me was realizing why I enjoyed him as the main character in Privateer 2: The Darkening

It was because nothing in that game is less than 3 levels over the top and Clive is just charmingly there for it

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Also Jason Statham is at his best when playing a character that has absolutely zero ability to deal with the majority of the problems the plot throws at him. Smug but inept, or capable but clearly out classed are so in his wheelhouse that it hurts every time he plays a smug and capable character.

Stop doing that, Hollywood!

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk on seemingly bland english action stars

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Jason Statham needs to take more roles like his character in Spy.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My real question with this Gawain and the Green Knight movie is how they're gonna choose to pronounce Gawain

Crossing my fingers for the chavviest of all "Gavin"'s.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i liked clive owen in Children of Men

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Which totally fits his ouvre. An everyman who is reluctantly dragged along for some total bullshit while almost everyone around him is a cartoon.

Jason Statham needs to take more roles like his character in Spy.

Nothing kills me. I'm immune to 179 different types of poison. I know because I ingested them all at once when I was deep undercover in an underground poison-ingesting crime ring.

edited February 2020
    Also Statham is fantastic in The Bank Job

Kind of want a scifi vehicle with Clive and Statham as partners, but I'd rather watch movies starring non-white non-straight non-male leads. Maybe as the equivalent of the quirky miniboss squad? Clive just soldiering on through the scifi bullshit begging Statham to shut up and do his job for once and Statham just keeps stating and then demonstrating that he is completely incapable of that

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Also Statham is fantastic in The Bank Job

Kind of want a scifi vehicle with Clive and Statham as partners, but I'd rather watch movies starring non-white non-straight non-male leads. Maybe as the equivalent of the quirky miniboss squad? Clive just soldiering on through the scifi bullshit begging Statham to shut up and do his job for once and Statham just keeps stating and then demonstrating that he is completely incapable of that

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My real question with this Gawain and the Green Knight movie is how they're gonna choose to pronounce Gawain

Crossing my fingers for the chavviest of all "Gavin"'s.

This would really throw me since it is my name and it has been very rare to encounter another person with the name in the US. Whenever I hear someone else called that I wheel around in panic looking for the person calling to me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Okay now let me all tell you about my pitch involving Taye Diggs:

Make more sci fi things with Taye Diggs!

Specifically this kind of sci fi
    1404087.jpg

Edcrab's Exigency RPG

1404087.jpg

Sci Fi...Taye Diggs...will there be gunkata?

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Parasite
    Part of me wants a version of this movie where Moon-gwang makes a truce with the Kims and they cooperate in grifting, culminating with some zany scheme where they gain control of all the Parks' money through tricking them into signing powers of attorney or some shit

But the rest of me realizes that wouldn't be nearly as good as the actual movie
    Capitalism turns us all into monsters. We turn against those we should stand alongside with because we have been taught to fight over the scraps the rich toss us.

So Parasite is
    a parable about what happens when we don't unionize.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Children of Men killed a movie night once, it started quite chipper but by the end everyone was grim and silent and the unanimous sentiment was "I feel weird" and everyone left to be alone

1404087.jpg

Of course!

Though Technically Taye Diggs wasn't actually very good at gunkata

Edcrab's Exigency RPG

1404087.jpg

Of course!

Though Technically Taye Diggs wasn't actually very good at gunkata

That's not fair, he was going up against Batman. Robert the Bruce didn't do any better.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.