As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Operation Darkness dated for June 24th.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do they remember they were on the losing side of this?

With the nazis?

It doesn't matter, it's alternate history!

*sigh*

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    I hope so the gameplay vids i've seen remind me of Ring of Red and i adored that game.

Late comment and all, but man .. I thought I was the only person in existence who even played Ring of Red. I've never known anyone else who played it, which was really sad because it was such an amazing game.

I hope Operation Darkness is just as good.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The official US Operation Darkness website is live: http://www.atlus.com/operationdarkness/

June 24th, 2008 is the release date. $60 MSRP.
    A demo will be available on the XBox marketplace on May 5th!

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yet another WW2 JRPG.

I laughed so hard at this... Even if it wasn't meant to be a joke.

hahah.. yeah.. me too.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The official US Operation Darkness website is live: http://www.atlus.com/operationdarkness/

June 24th, 2008 is the release date. $60 MSRP.
    A demo will be available on the XBox marketplace on May 5th!

Saw the page earlier today. I like the bit about being able to loot the bodies of the fallen and use the weapons found on it.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This game dropped off my radar for a bit, but I'm glad it's getting a US release. Looking forward towards the demo.

EDIT: Also, I picked up Ring of Red for $7.00. After hearing people praise it, I want to see how it's like.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A faster paced Silent Storm with dragons and shit instead of Hardsuits? I really am wanting this game, and turn based SRPGs are too rare not to support it. Also Nazi Boozooms! :winky:

OD looks like it will provide a much needed 3D injection into the SRPG genre. Too much goddamn sorcery, but oh well, at least we get panzerfausts. SRPGs need more SciFi.

Weird that the game is on the 360. That Valkyria Chonicles game looks cool too, but meh cel shading and PS3 only. Maybe all this will help get Front Mission 5 over here. (or not, but still.)

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • Options
    JengoJengo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    totally wrote: »
    OD looks like it will provide a much needed 3D injection into the SRPG genre. Too much goddamn sorcery, but oh well, at least we get panzerfausts. SRPGs need more SciFi.

Well to be fair Hitler did have like a whole division dedicated to magic and shit. So it's not like it doesn't fit.

totally wrote: »
    Maybe all this will help get Front Mission 5 over here. (or not, but still.)

Indeed

Jengo on
    3DS FC: 1977-1274-3558 Pokemon X ingame name: S3xy Vexy
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah Hitler; I love that he is Enemy Number 1 on the enemy character list. I am gonna be so "Taste my haduoken, evil dictator!" when I finally make it to his secret underground mountaintop zombie dragon filled lair. No Lance of Longinus is gonna save him from my ragtag group of commandos.

totally on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For those going on about 'But Japanese were baddies!' - the characters in Op Darkness are Allies - mostly Brits, along with a guilt-ridden German.

Darley - I don't think I understand the difference between the two types of WW2+fantasy and how one is OK but the other one irks you.

I've been playing it a while, it's pretty great (I made a thread about it here http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=46097) except that you can't save during battles and if one of the main characters dies it's game over. This makes it play a bit like Fire Emblem.

Having said that, there's not much funnier than a sniper with a pack-full of ammo, opportunity fire, and a wave of zombies....

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    For those going on about 'But Japanese were baddies!' - the characters in Op Darkness are Allies - mostly Brits, along with a guilt-ridden German.

On a historical note, it's worth mentioning that there were Allied units composed entirely of Japanese-Americans fighting during the Italian campaign. That had to confuse the hell out of the Axis troops at times.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Here is an interview with some of the guys at Atlus. From craptastic IGN

Text below. Article link here. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/864/864871p1.html

IGN: What's the basic premise for Operation Darkness? We know it's set in World War II, but it's not the conventional Nazi vs. Allies, is it?

Jason Ruper: The game is an alternate look at WWII, with all sorts of supernatural and occult beings fighting behind the scenes on both sides. So it's not just "Nazis and Allies" this time, but rather, Nazis, Allies, vampires, werewolves, skeletons, zombies, and quite a bit more...

IGN: So there's clearly a supernatural overtone to the story that follows the action. What inspired the inclusion of werewolves and zombies?

Ruper: There has always been a connection between Hitler and the occult, and the Old World backdrop of Europe naturally lends itself to various creatures of lore.
    And let's face it, when you think about the most dark and evil things out there, half the world's population envision evil vampire creatures, and the other half envision the Nazis! So, I think when you get down to it, the two tie together quite nicely.

IGN: How are these werewolves, zombies and vampires factored into the standard World War II storyline without making it comical?

We could look at this all day.Ruper: There are a lot of historical eras to insert comedy into, but WWII isn't one of them. The entire affair is filled with so much gravity and importance, and we kept that in mind throughout the localization process. The story is really engrossing, and I think you'll find that even the most un-human of characters can still have very human emotions and reactions to the world around them.

IGN: The action in Operation Darkness is a bit deeper than the typical hexagonal movement until an enemy is in range. There's a cover system at work here. Explain how that works.

Ruper: The cover system is a very innovative addition to the genre. Explaining it is a bit hard to do, but once you try it out, you get the hang of it real fast. In a nutshell, you can set your characters to perform certain actions automatically, based on triggers. For instance, you can tell one of your guys to move behind that rock over there if an enemy comes around that corner up ahead, or you could tell one of your snipers to automatically fire at any enemy who moves within her line of sight. The system allows for much more variety than the standard "move-and-shoot" tactics that drive most strategy games.

IGN: Turn-based strategy games have become somewhat of a niche title these days. How can Operation Darkness expand on its initially small core audience?

Aram Jabbari: Fortunately, Operation Darkness isn't just a turn-based strategy game. It's a turn-based strategy game set in an alternate-WWII full of werewolves, vampires, and zombies! We're confident the fresh setting, engaging story, and exciting mix of history and fantasy will appeal to an audience broader than the genre alone. There's also the four player cooperative play over Xbox LIVE, which few games in the genre (or on the platform) can boast. It adds a level of depth and replayability that we feel will make the game much more intriguing for the average gamer.

IGN: From what we've seen of the game the storyline and characters are fairly out there. Are there plans to change the content of the game at all to have it fit in with American views of what's considered "cool."

Ruper: Very little content was altered from the original Japanese. As it turns out, zombies, vampires, and werewolves set in WWII is already "cool" enough!

Let it snow.

IGN: It seems like this game is a perfect fit for RPG elements, is there any perpetual progression from battle-to-battle for your characters?

Ruper: The characters have the standard EXP and leveling you'd expect to find. Your characters also acquire various skills throughout their campaign, and those skills can be leveled up as you progress.

IGN: Can we expect any content or gameplay differences from the Japanese edition to the US?

Sammy Matsushima: Other than some minor fixes, most of the gameplay will be the same as the Japanese version.

IGN: What's the release date for the game stateside?

Jabbari: Operation Darkness is scheduled to release on June 24th, 2008, just in time for summer!

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man. I don't have a 360 yet, but this game is damn tempting.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    LawlzorLawlzor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is it just me or do the ally characters love them some popped collars? I assume Germany is getting pretty tired of all the World War 2 games if japans starting to get into it too.:P

Lawlzor on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lawlzor wrote: »
    Is it just me or do the ally characters love them some popped collars? I assume Germany is getting pretty tired of all the World War 2 games if japans starting to get into it too.:P

Hmm, I never even wondered until now if some germans are bothered by the fact that there are dozens ( hundreds?) of games featuring the evil german Nazis as the enemy.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Quite a few, as they're illegal to sell in Germany.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They're not too fond of being reminded constantly of their deepest shame.

Unfortunately for them, their deepest shame happens to be the most fertile ground for war games... pretty much ever.

Hey, thanks for the capitalizable atrocity, Germany.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So does that mean games like Turning Point are nationally sanctioned?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So hey, new trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32654.html

Nazis? Check. Werewolves? Check. Swords? Check. Werewolves using swords on Nazis? You better believe that's a check.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Nazis? That's a paddlin. Werewolves? That's a paddlin. Paddles? That's a paddlin. Werewolves using paddles on Nazis? You better believe that's a paddlin.
    Fix'd for I love the Simpsons.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yet another WW2 JRPG.

I laughed so hard at this... Even if it wasn't meant to be a joke.

hahah.. yeah.. me too.

Just had to say that it's awesome that I'm still drawing laughs nearly a year after I typed that quote. Which is almost sad, when looked at from the perspective of the WW2 game genre.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Houk wrote: »

Nazis? That's a paddlin. Werewolves? That's a paddlin. Paddles? That's a paddlin. Werewolves using paddles on Nazis? You better believe that's a paddlin.

Using magic to fight evil undead for the cause of good?

That's a paladin.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bursar wrote: »

Using magic to fight evil undead for the cause of good?

That's a paladin.
    Oh you.

So I probably asked this before, but do you get to work on this?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh you.

Nope. I did some proofreadin' on the manual, but otherwise this is one of the few games around here recently that I haven't had a hand in in one way or another.

Which means that when I get it, I can actually enjoy it without being reminded of all the toil we had to go through! (Yay)

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh you.

Nope. I did some proofreadin' on the manual, but otherwise this is one of the few games around here recently that I haven't had a hand in in one way or another.

Which means that when I get it, I can actually enjoy it without being reminded of all the toil we had to go through! (Yay)
    Yeah, I've come to find that's a rare joy. I'm not doing anything on Disgaea 3, so I'll get to enjoy that. Even though the final couple chapters are pretty lame storywise. But yeah, this game is pretty much gonna be the awesomest.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey Bursar, is there any chance that you show up in the background somewhere in the X-Play segment on Game Localization that they did at the Atlus offices? Or if you saw it, anything worth pointing out in the segment?

Valernos on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just had to say that it's awesome that I'm still drawing laughs nearly a year after I typed that quote. Which is almost sad, when looked at from the perspective of the WW2 game genre.

You sig'd me!

<3

I love getting sig'd.

Man, I was seething with rational nerd rage when I wrote that.

Edit: you should have told me at the time.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Reading the description, I thought this game might be good for a laugh, but after a look at the official site... this seems pretty damn awesome. I love Fire Emblem, and so was just looking for some more SRPGs. If only it were a little less Japanese, because I'm not sure whether 13 year old girls were accepted into the British army, particularly in miniskirts.

And Shooter: you got a laugh out of me today too.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Valernos wrote: »
    Hey Bursar, is there any chance that you show up in the background somewhere in the X-Play segment on Game Localization that they did at the Atlus offices? Or if you saw it, anything worth pointing out in the segment?
    The fat guy with the beard? The one who does most of the talking in the interview? That's me.

Bonus points if you can make out some of the shit on my desk when I'm pretending to type on it with the camera over my shoulder.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looks like it'll help slake my thirst for a new Ring of Red for a little while.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Goddamn, I had forgotten about this game altogether. Mainly because, at the time, I didn't have a 360. But now I do, and I can't wait to blow up some Nazi werewolf stormtrooper magi!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh you.

Yeah, I've come to find that's a rare joy. I'm not doing anything on Disgaea 3, so I'll get to enjoy that. Even though the final couple chapters are pretty lame storywise. But yeah, this game is pretty much gonna be the awesomest.

Are you being punished somehow? :? I'd think working on a Disgaea game was practically mandatory.

Unless they've got you tied up with more PSP games or a certain other PS2 RPG that I'm still hoping for.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    4 player co-op? On an srpg? How is that gonna work? I sense a lot of trash talking.

totally on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    Looks like it'll help slake my thirst for a new Ring of Red for a little while.

I actually just picked this up; $4.99.

I guess the hype is well-earned?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I had a hell of a time getting into Ring of Red; it's just so slow. Maybe I should try again one of these days.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I just picked it up as well. It was hard for me to get into, but I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit now. I still feel I'm missing something, though. I'm not sure what.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh shits, this game will be region free, meaning I can import it. Awesome.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, has anyone else played the demo yet?

Turkey on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yes, and quite frankly, I agree with the early Famitsu reviews. The camera was awkward and no amount of manual control would help you, it took far too long to get into actual combat ('twas at least a couple of rounds before I was in range to shoot anyone), and despite the fact that it seems I took out the whole German army at one point, one shot killed me and I lost the whole battle. Also, the game really does look horribly dated. It is frustrating and it isn't any fun which is a shame because it had a unique idea.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Turkey wrote: »
    So, has anyone else played the demo yet?

Demo out on Live? I'll have to go looking for it.

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984