As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Derek [Chat]er Sucks

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Dammit I probably have to watch Cats

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    I feel I need more acknowledgement for my great pun.

No, we can't encourage this kind of rogue behavior

you just did 8-)

oh no

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    @SniperGuy let me know how long war 2 is

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    You actually don’t.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

1939 to 1945

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    OK, so,

Yesterday i saw a classic absurdist play from 80s Quebec: Les Voisins.

It's.... well, i'll start off by translating the play's most iconic line: "Mayonnaise tastes so good. I can't tell what it tastes of. But it's good with anything."

That's the intensity it reaches.

It's basically a play about how devoid of meaning suburban life is. The main characters pretty much don't have character traits. Sure, they have likes and dislikes but calling them one-dimensional would be exaggerating their depth. One character can be described as "happy" and can basically speak only in meaningless pleasantries. It's like "what if King of the Hill, except literally nothing happens". Straight up half the script is awkward silences. It's somehow still very funny. I found it to be pretty genius how it worked out.

Like, 50% of the play is awkward silences and 40% is just lines completely devoid of meaning. stuff like the mayonnaise thing or exchanges like "I thought i looked bad in this dress" "Oh, it doesn't look it." OR "Well, been a while, eh" "Yeah, what have you been up to?" "Been to Canadian Tire" "You serious?" "I'm telling you"

There's two characters with any depth and they barely appear in the play. One's the daughter of one of the main characters and the other's a used car salesman who's womanizing and has a heart attack. The heart attack is pretty much glossed over entirely despite being one of the major events in the play.

The actors we pretty damn good, too. They were extremely stiff and looks uncomfortable as hell which worked marvelously.

I give it a 10/10.

Québécois Ionesco, I take it?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    OK, so,

It's.... well, i'll start off by translating the play's most iconic line: "Mayonnaise tastes so good. I can't tell what it tastes of. But it's good with anything."

It's basically a play about how devoid of meaning suburban life is. The main characters pretty much don't have character traits. Sure, they have likes and dislikes but calling them one-dimensional would be exaggerating their depth. One character can be described as "happy" and can basically speak only in meaningless pleasantries. It's like "what if King of the Hill, except literally nothing happens". Straight up half the script is awkward silences. It's somehow still very funny. I found it to be pretty genius how it worked out.

Like, 50% of the play is awkward silences and 40% is just lines completely devoid of meaning. stuff like the mayonnaise thing or exchanges like "I thought i looked bad in this dress" "Oh, it doesn't look it." OR "Well, been a while, eh" "Yeah, what have you been up to?" "Been to Canadian Tire" "You serious?" "I'm telling you"

There's two characters with any depth and they barely appear in the play. One's the daughter of one of the main characters and the other's a used car salesman who's womanizing and has a heart attack. The heart attack is pretty much glossed over entirely despite being one of the major events in the play.

The actors we pretty damn good, too. They were extremely stiff and looks uncomfortable as hell which worked marvelously.

I give it a 10/10.

I'm not very cultured so i don't know? Maybe?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sounds closer to a mix of Charlie Kaufman and Samuel Beckett

• Options
    OK, so,

I give it a 10/10.

Ionesco was a Romanian-turned-French Absurdist who wrote mostly in the 50's and 60's and my French class read his most famous play, La Cantatrice chauve which is about characters engaging in nonsensical and absurd conversation and it's the sort of absurdity that makes you question whether or not you're having a stroke

• Options
    OK, so,

I give it a 10/10.

Ionesco was a Romanian-turned-French Absurdist who wrote mostly in the 50's and 60's and my French class read his most famous play, La Cantatrice chauve which is about characters engaging in nonsensical and absurd conversation and it's the sort of absurdity that makes you question whether or not you're having a stroke

Ah, then no.

It's not nonsense texts it's more like..... empty words.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    @Mim it was a good pun

Also I missed you when you were gone and I’m glad you’re back for however long you deign to grace us with your presence

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Mim is bae

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I love the name of that spam in the PAX forum. Sounds like a dorito flavor.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    staosbm52e4a.jpeg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Ugh

I was sleeping on my fist so I'm now awake at half two in the goddamn morning with a throbbing ear

Nothing like playing "is this pain an ear infection or the obvious result of knuckling my ear for an unknown period of time" in a dark room with just the sound of your cat licking itself for company

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Quick, try standing up and spin around a few times

If you get dizzy it’s an ear infection

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    8spltqui5a46.png

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Quick, try standing up and spin around a few times

If you get dizzy it’s an ear infection

That was weird to do in a dark room - probably should have turned the light on

Looks like I'm in the clear, though

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    "the sound of your cat licking itself for company" is the name of my new fragrance

• Options
    in the far off future, will [chat] be a cold wasteland of forgotten posters and infinitely-up-their-own-ass memes? will the wind howl over the dead, forgotten threads that used to be full of life?

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    in the far off future, will [chat] be a cold wasteland of forgotten posters and infinitely-up-their-own-ass memes? will the wind howl over the dead, forgotten threads that used to be full of life?

nah I'll come back 20 years later and just stay put and start posting achewood comics for the remainder of eternity

• Options
    I'm a one-man posting machine

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

*posting*

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    You actually don’t.

Don't fucking lie to me zepherin

• Options
    As someone who has seen cats let me tell you that no one should see that

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

*posting*

are those supposed to be roleplaying asterisks .

• Options
    I tell you what, the number of people I follow on Twitter who are obsessed with Cats and won’t shut up about it is distressing.

*To be fair it’s mostly just Lindsay Ellis

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
  • Options
    my parents last great dane loved licking her dog-gina

just lapped away at while making groaning noises

it was really something

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

@Casual Eddy It's good! Had to bump the difficulty down to Veteran, commander was rough. And I've beaten commander war of the chosen on iron man! Veteran seems appropriately tough but not "dear god this is hard" so far. The new classes and alien types are cool, except I hate the little flying drone motherfuckers.

• Options
    They should have cat trees but for people

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    ~SniperGuy let me know how long war 2 is

~Casual Eddy It's good! Had to bump the difficulty down to Veteran, commander was rough. And I've beaten commander war of the chosen on iron man! Veteran seems appropriately tough but not "dear god this is hard" so far. The new classes and alien types are cool, except I hate the little flying drone motherfuckers.
    Heh, I hear the drones in LW1 were bastards too.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    You actually don’t.

Don't fucking lie to me zepherin

The only fucking lie is cats.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

@ "Casual Eddy" It's good! Had to bump the difficulty down to Veteran, commander was rough. And I've beaten commander war of the chosen on iron man! Veteran seems appropriately tough but not "dear god this is hard" so far. The new classes and alien types are cool, except I hate the little flying drone motherfuckers.

sounds good! do they still have the infiltration thing? I loved that part

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    Abby's birthday stream today on Giant Bomb is legit one of the best Giant Bomb videos I've ever seen

She plays the Sims and has a clusterfuck of back-to-back parties with the Giant Bomb cast and some celebrities, including Dobby.

Somehow I've never actually thrown a party in the Sims before, but they seem to really capture the chaos and many microcosms of socialization that exist at a real world party.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I watched* the first episode of The Expanse and I just couldn't get past having to follow around a fucking cop wearing a fucking fedora

Is there a supercut of Jared Harris scenes so I can excuse myself from the contact embarrassment of the rest of the show

*for my definition of watched, which is to say skipped through most of it

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    I like how the Wikipedia page for Fred Savage only has photos of him as a kid.

cy9g00s1w9qm.png

This discussion has been closed.