As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] so you didn't send the fish Jedi immediately because...?

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Rey was literally begging to be wielding a lightsaber spear. I think the Treverrow script even has that happen.

She's already got the staff as her weapon. She gets a lightsaber. She should put the two together.

I really thought she was going to go double bladed. Would have been really nice and preferable for her already established fighting style.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Lightchucks, Yo!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Lightsaber glaive-glaive-glaive-guisarme-glaive?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Light spiked mace

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Guys, hear me out.

Lightsaber Bat'leth

Blade Trinity already did it.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Lightsaber urumi

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Lightsaber dodgeball

Gunsaber lightblade

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Nightlight!

waitasec

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If you can dodge a vibrowrench, you can dodge a ball

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'm wondering why we haven't seen a lightsaber dagger yet. Closest we've got is Ahsoka with her smaller off-hand blade. But a dagger, or even two, seems like something we'd have seen by now.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I'm wondering why we haven't seen a lightsaber dagger yet. Closest we've got is Ahsoka with her smaller off-hand blade. But a dagger, or even two, seems like something we'd have seen by now.

Especially with how common shotos have been in the games since KOTOR.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So, did this lightsaber reveal change anyone's anticipation for Ye Olde High Republic? Still not really doing anything for me.

Also, how about lightsaber throwing stars?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I don't remember what the high republic is. TV, movie, or comic?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

It's something new, apparently

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

It's a new setting for books and such. I guess they could do more with it if it proves to be popular, but right now it's print only.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    From what I've read it seems like it's a new time period with a multi media approach. So probably novels and comics at first (and toys), then if they take off maybe TV or other more cost intensive formats.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Not sure if going back into the past to when Yoda was a young Jedi really counts as a new time period.

But I know I'm turning into a broken record on this.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular

Isn’t that basically a vibroblade?

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »

Basically, yeah. Although I don't think a vibroblade can cut through anything. Or can it?

Also, can a vibroblade fully block a lightsaber?

• Options

Basically, yeah. Although I don't think a vibroblade can cut through anything. Or can it?

I don't think vibroblades can cut through everything, and they operate under different mechanics than lightsabers.
    To the second question, that depends entirely on if the author wants them to. KotOR vibroblades (and even normal blades) could block a lightsaber because they were all made with super rare cortosis weave blades (so rare that literally every junk trader in the galaxy stocks it), but elsewhere in the old EU using a vibroblade against a lightsaber is just a quick way to get a much, much shorter vibroblade.

There are short lightsabers. Used by Luke against Lumiya and her light whip in the old comics. I'm guessing he used his main saber to block and wrap the whip up, then close with the shorter one, but I've not read them.
    KotOR had short lightsabers that reduced the penalties for dual wielding if you had them in your off hand (as opposed to two full sized sabers). Those were more short swords than daggers though, so maybe not what you're looking for.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Lightsaber loose ball of rope.

You just kinda... chuck it at people and physics takes care of the rest.

Vibroblades can cut through a lot of stuff, but armor can definitely protect against them (the Mandalorian's armor, even before he got beskar everything, was able to deflect hits from vibroblade pikes).

Vibroblades themselves are made of metal and are basically just a knife when not whirring it up. A lightsaber would just chop right through them (unless, going from EU stuff, they're cortosis-reinforced like the flavor text explains in the KotoR games).

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

Nope glancing blows only

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    KOTOR makes saber-proof vibroblades super common because they want something like the very first drafts of A New Hope, where even the stormtroopers had lightsabers. IMO, it's 50/50 because, like Lucas, they're inspired by the old movies like Flash Gordon, Zorro and Robin Hood where the hero swordfights through dozens of mooks before facing their match in a fencing duel, and because the system they used for the first games was basically D&D with a new coat of paint.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Magnaguards with their electro staffs where already doing fine (for a non jedi) againt lightsabres. Jedi guard also had neat two bladed lightsabres. So there are really already some good examples of those kind of weapons for Rey to use.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    You theoretically can chop through the handle if you get a good hit in on a lot of real life spears. Albeit not as easily as a lightsaber through a material that's not explicitly resistant.

They're still dominant in combat, whether for duels or mass combat. A sword is just more convenient to carry around.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Why don't they make the ships out of lightsaber?

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    shryke wrote: »
    Rey was literally begging to be wielding a lightsaber spear. I think the Treverrow script even has that happen.

She's already got the staff as her weapon. She gets a lightsaber. She should put the two together.

That this never happened is a crime

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Why don't they make the ships out of lightsaber?

They did once.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weTi8fhMiUA

May not be canon.

• Options
    If the Death Star is powered by kyber crystals, does that make it a lightsaber?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

I guess technically it shoots lightsabers. That's pretty cool!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Rumors are circulating that Pedro Pascal and Disney have agreed to terms that Pascal will only do ADR work from here on out in The Mandalorian, so that he may be free to pursue other projects. Obviously I’m sure Pascal would be on-set if he was shooting a scene without the helmet.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Rumors are circulating that Pedro Pascal and Disney have agreed to terms that Pascal will only do ADR work from here on out in The Mandalorian, so that he may be free to pursue other projects. Obviously I’m sure Pascal would be on-set if he was shooting a scene without the helmet.

Wasn't this already the case last season?

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Wasn't this already the case last season?

Last year he was absent because he was busy. If this is true, going forward he’ll be absent by choice.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I've said before that IMO it's a tool of the Dark Side, of blood magic. It's an obsidian sacrificial dagger that kills worlds. And guess whose bony hand is on the hilt, as he orders those trillions of murders?
    Yeah. There's a reason Palpatine built one, and then another as soon as the first was destroyed. Sure, it's an effective terror weapon, but this is also a galaxy where magic is real... and yet, knowledge of that has been deliberately and quite effectively suppressed, by someone.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    KOTOR makes saber-proof vibroblades super common because they want something like the very first drafts of A New Hope, where even the stormtroopers had lightsabers. IMO, it's 50/50 because, like Lucas, they're inspired by the old movies like Flash Gordon, Zorro and Robin Hood where the hero swordfights through dozens of mooks before facing their match in a fencing duel, and because the system they used for the first games was basically D&D with a new coat of paint.

I like to think that in the Old Republic saber-resistant weaponry and armor materials were more widely available because both Jedi and Sith were more common and always a-feudin' and a-fightin', so it was worth it to go to the trouble to get it...but also it's rarer in later eras because it happened so much that they eventually just used most of it up.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Huh, I'd never even spotted the problem with the dialogue there, even though one of my main complaints about TLJ is that it doesn't care about the story or the characters nearly as much as it cares about what the audience is thinking about.

There is nothing to imply Rey would say her parents were 'nobodies', because there's no reason to believe she thinks they were 'somebody important' rather than just...her parents. It's the audience that would have that shocked reaction. Oh my god she's not the daughter of Obi-Wan and Maul. Rey wasn't wondering which important lore characters birthed her.

She might have reacted poorly in that scene and said they were bad people or didn't care about her or something, but her calling them 'nobodies' when pressed doesn't fit.

Just to be clear, I like her parents not being anyone important to the universe.

The biggest problem I have with that scene is that it has by far the most interesting premise of the ST, and immediately squanders it - the idea of unwinding the First Order from within. But it basically can't happen, because there's no way you're going into a 3rd movie without a huge space battle lined up (though ironically, they could've done that and TRoS's antagonist, as stupid as it was, could've been played exactly straight).

The point of it is that while it's an excellent idea, Kylo can't be the one to do it. All he cares about is using people as tools. You'd need someone who could actually care about the lives of the people in the First Order. Like, say, Finn.

I was actually kind of insulted at how RoS almost directly implies that Finn taking over a chunk of the First Order actually could totally have worked, that there was nothing particularly special that led only him to rebel. And then nothing actually came of it.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Huh, I'd never even spotted the problem with the dialogue there, even though one of my main complaints about TLJ is that it doesn't care about the story or the characters nearly as much as it cares about what the audience is thinking about.

There is nothing to imply Rey would say her parents were 'nobodies', because there's no reason to believe she thinks they were 'somebody important' rather than just...her parents. It's the audience that would have that shocked reaction. Oh my god she's not the daughter of Obi-Wan and Maul. Rey wasn't wondering which important lore characters birthed her.

She might have reacted poorly in that scene and said they were bad people or didn't care about her or something, but her calling them 'nobodies' when pressed doesn't fit.

Just to be clear, I like her parents not being anyone important to the universe.

The biggest problem I have with that scene is that it has by far the most interesting premise of the ST, and immediately squanders it - the idea of unwinding the First Order from within. But it basically can't happen, because there's no way you're going into a 3rd movie without a huge space battle lined up (though ironically, they could've done that and TRoS's antagonist, as stupid as it was, could've been played exactly straight).

The point of it is that while it's an excellent idea, Kylo can't be the one to do it. All he cares about is using people as tools. You'd need someone who could actually care about the lives of the people in the First Order. Like, say, Finn.

I was actually kind of insulted at how RoS almost directly implies that Finn taking over a chunk of the First Order actually could totally have worked, that there was nothing particularly special that led only him to rebel. And then nothing actually came of it.

I dont know, I think Finn becoming the Spartacus of the First Order would have been great.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Well, that would be a thing, wouldn't it?

ED: Also, important picture in the replies:

xrhkh19a0yqo.png

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    I mean, if we assume this is for Mando S3, isn’t it way too early for anything?

This discussion has been closed.