As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Terrible comment from Trump.

And completely unsurprising.

It isn't but like that's straight like from a bad guys god damn evil monologue. It's suggesting all the deaths in america will make the country a better place, from the fucking president during a god damn pandemic I can't even.

He's a fascist. This is very much their thing.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    “Go outside and get hella sick,” says politician dependent on the votes of elderly conservatives, to elderly conservatives

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The continuous lack of available tests is astounding to me.

Roche is at least partially to blame. The dominant test relies on machine that runs on a lysis buffer that is patented and whose recepture is not completely known. This lysis buffer is in extremely short supply and Roche is refusing to release the formula. It's insanity.

...And why hasn't Roche been forced to turn over the formula? Fuck them and fuck their patent.

Because capitalism, because grifting, because Trump won't invoke the act that would require them to do so... take your pick. I imagine they're going to keep this up as long as they can get away with it. Hell, I'd check how much in "donations" his campaign recently just got from Big Pharma and see where it's all coming from.

It's a trade secret. If it was a patent, then people would just make it because it would have been disclosed. The problem is that whilst we might know the components, we don't know the right balance of those and that tends to fuck around with the sensitivity of the instruments. Depending on the instrument, it might be really finicky about something Roche don't even understand.

Transferring assays between locations can reveal how wildly unscientific your processes are. We've had some where it matters immensely if the other site does the dilution 1 in 20 and then 1 in 100, rather than the 1 in 2000 or 1 in 100 and then 1 in 20 we've done on site despite basing this off a kit. It's fixable if you've got a few weeks to play around, but if your backlog is exponentially growing, you just buy the buffer.

Pretty sure some uniformed people with guns arresting people with the threat of lengthy jail sentences could make them hand it over. ¯\(◉‿◉)/¯

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The cruise companies should only get stimulus if they register under US tax law

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Couscous wrote: »

There is no event so important it supersedes Trump's need to settle petty grievances.

This is like 90% about him being mad at these governors for something or other (probably yelling at him to help them). And like 10% about diverting resources to states he wants to win in November.

shryke on
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »
    My parents have left the house in what must be an age, they drive by stores to have people toss bags in their car once in a while but they don't even want to go inside. My dad is 72 and gets pneumonia twice a year, his lungs are not great and they don't want to risk anything. I'm glad they're taking it seriously, but also they're reasonable people who like actual news and would have anyway. My mom always visits for my son's birthday in May, obviously that isn't likely to happen this year. :(

My husband's mom was a crazy libertarian isolationist who moved she and her husband to the side of a mountain in 2009ish because she wanted to be away from the towns when the liberals would inevitably riot in the streets in a few years after society collapses. She died about a year ago, and I guess they're glad he's decided to keep the house. He's got a vegetable garden and a telescope and the internet and that's much of what he needs to be happy.

His family is thinking that, in retrospect, his sister may have come down with Covid fairly early in the year, late-ish January I think. She, her husband, and their two kids all got this kinda flu-like thing that sounded like the flu so nobody bothered to get tested for it. They all got rid of in a week except her. She's in her early 40's and ended up with pneumonia so bad she was on a ventilator for over a week. Seems way too early for it to likely be this virus, but she's an actuary and apparently one of her employer's biggest customers is a Chinese company who had a team of reps from China visiting in house a week or two prior to them getting sick. It's a small company, so they all spent time in the same rooms and stuff. It's not something that was at the forefront of people's minds at that point and I guess we'll never know for sure. Just one of those things that's crazy to think about.. if it were here that early and no one even bothered to think it could be then there is literally no way to know where it could crop up or already had before they got testing underway at all.

I can't help but wonder if maybe this flu season hasn't been quite as bad as we think.

This seems to be the medical consensus, based on that Twitter thread a while back of doctors talking about unusual pneumonia going around during that time period. I don't remember if it was that thread or elsewhere, but I also read that positive flu tests started to drop off about that time, like they normally do; but that deaths attributed to flu didn't. There's also a bug going around that causes some pretty nasty (but not usually ventilator nasty) pneumonia that isn't flu or SARS2, had a few friends get it and test negative for both, and some friends in medical professions have mentioned it.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    My parents have left the house in what must be an age, they drive by stores to have people toss bags in their car once in a while but they don't even want to go inside. My dad is 72 and gets pneumonia twice a year, his lungs are not great and they don't want to risk anything. I'm glad they're taking it seriously, but also they're reasonable people who like actual news and would have anyway. My mom always visits for my son's birthday in May, obviously that isn't likely to happen this year. :(

My husband's mom was a crazy libertarian isolationist who moved she and her husband to the side of a mountain in 2009ish because she wanted to be away from the towns when the liberals would inevitably riot in the streets in a few years after society collapses. She died about a year ago, and I guess they're glad he's decided to keep the house. He's got a vegetable garden and a telescope and the internet and that's much of what he needs to be happy.

His family is thinking that, in retrospect, his sister may have come down with Covid fairly early in the year, late-ish January I think. She, her husband, and their two kids all got this kinda flu-like thing that sounded like the flu so nobody bothered to get tested for it. They all got rid of in a week except her. She's in her early 40's and ended up with pneumonia so bad she was on a ventilator for over a week. Seems way too early for it to likely be this virus, but she's an actuary and apparently one of her employer's biggest customers is a Chinese company who had a team of reps from China visiting in house a week or two prior to them getting sick. It's a small company, so they all spent time in the same rooms and stuff. It's not something that was at the forefront of people's minds at that point and I guess we'll never know for sure. Just one of those things that's crazy to think about.. if it were here that early and no one even bothered to think it could be then there is literally no way to know where it could crop up or already had before they got testing underway at all.

I can't help but wonder if maybe this flu season hasn't been quite as bad as we think.

This seems to be the medical consensus, based on that Twitter thread a while back of doctors talking about unusual pneumonia going around during that time period. I don't remember if it was that thread or elsewhere, but I also read that positive flu tests started to drop off about that time, like they normally do; but that deaths attributed to flu didn't. There's also a bug going around that causes some pretty nasty (but not usually ventilator nasty) pneumonia that isn't flu or SARS2, had a few friends get it and test negative for both, and some friends in medical professions have mentioned it.

Yet another reason that we needed mass testing months two months ago.

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »

Yet another reason that we needed mass testing months two months ago.

Yeah they should have put all this in motion in early January. It was pretty easy to see where it was going back then.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »
    Politico correspondent:
    The Trump campaign threatened to sue TV stations that are airing a
    @prioritiesUSA ad that "contains the false assertion that President Trump called the coronavirus a hoax”
    The litigious Trump campaign deciding now would be a good time to launch some more lawsuits shows how foolish they are with all this nonsense

Just a follow up to this...

"Since Trump made it clear how terrified he was of Americans learning the truth about how his incompetence has put us all in danger, we decided to expand the buy for this ad into Arizona starting tomorrow in addition to FL, MI, WI, & PA."
    - Patrick McHugh is the Executive Director of PrioritiesUSA, the creator of the ad.

So, that's good news.

Along similar lines, Joe Biden has put out an ad of his own showing Trump's ongoing incompetence. The Trump campaign can assert that him calling the virus a hoax is false all they want but its right there in the highlights, coming from his own mouth. Also him saying that he would rate his response to combating the virus at a "10" as the number of cases continue to sky rocket and instances of him being a completely whiny shithead to members of the press asking perfectly reasonable questions.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    Politico correspondent:
    @prioritiesUSA ad that "contains the false assertion that President Trump called the coronavirus a hoax”
    The litigious Trump campaign deciding now would be a good time to launch some more lawsuits shows how foolish they are with all this nonsense

"Since Trump made it clear how terrified he was of Americans learning the truth about how his incompetence has put us all in danger, we decided to expand the buy for this ad into Arizona starting tomorrow in addition to FL, MI, WI, & PA."
    - Patrick McHugh is the Executive Director of PrioritiesUSA, the creator of the ad.

So, that's good news.

Along similar lines, Joe Biden has put out an ad of his own showing Trump's ongoing incompetence. The Trump campaign can assert that him calling the virus a hoax is false all they want but its right there in the highlights, coming from his own mouth. Also him saying that he would rate his response to combating the virus at a "10" as the number of cases continue to sky rocket and instances of him being a completely whiny shithead to members of the press asking perfectly reasonable questions.

I really don't give a fuck about that Joe Biden's saying. His response to this so far has been to disappear with the excuse he couldn't figure out a camera. Then after he managed to hunt down a camera in only a week's (!) time he's been releasing weird af statements that include rambling takes on how he hopes Trump's approval keeps going up because we need him to be strong right now. It's disgraceful.

• Options
    I don't care about the last few seconds that are about him myself, I just think that everything up to that point should be in more peoples faces.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    The cruise companies should only get stimulus if they register under US tax law

Frankly it's also pretty important that they follow US employment and (especially) environmental laws / regulations. It's not just because they don't want to pay taxes to the USA (though that is a large part of it, obviously), they also don't want to stop fucking up the environment.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    COVID-19 has finally hit close to home for me as my brother-in-law and his wife in Brazil are now quarantined. My wife got the text message about this news just this morning. His wife tested positive for the virus and he is quarantined as a precaution.

I can't say my wife and I are surprised seeing how his wife is a healthcare professional. She's a physical therapist by trade but works at a medical clinic that services a low income neighborhood and, by the nature of her job, she has to be in close physical contact with her patients. We're kinda worried about her now since she has a few underlying health conditions that I won't get into here.

They're recovering at home and we just hope my mother-in-law isn't dumb enough to go visit them (she is not the brightest bulb in the drawer, even my wife thinks so; also, the mom-in-law voted for Bolsonaro...). So yeah, this sucks. We just had them visit us here in Japan this past holiday season to celebrate Christmas and they were in high spirits then.

I'm going to call my parents again tonight to see how they're holding up in NY.

Raiju on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

That's really interesting. My husband and daughter ended up with the super nasty flu, which they both tested positive for, but you know who didn't get that flu? My son and I because we got FLU SHOTS. My daughter was just a little too young for our pharmacy to want to do it, and my husband was Getting Around To It. I had pneumonia a couple years ago and I'm never doing that again, and this year was a terrible experience for the two of them, so from now on everyone who would like to live with me, and I have told them this, will be getting each new iteration of flu shot as it comes out if I have to load it into a ballistic syringe and hunt them down myself.

What was I saying? Oh yeah, my sister-in-law is a very healthy person, no underlying issues, etc, and they were all caught pretty off guard by this. With her work, and hearing a few of her co-workers were sick at the time... I don't think we'll ever be able to tell for certain, but there are many dots to connect. It would have been in the very earliest stages of infection in this country though, and they live in PA. If it were from the visits to her workplace, they must not have spread it around much. I'm guessing when this is more under control we'll see some fascinating breakdowns of the various bugs going around this season and how they all helped to cover for each other just long enough for people in this country to willfully screw up containment. I hope I get to read them.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Rehab wrote: »
    Politico correspondent:

So, that's good news.

I really don't give a fuck about that Joe Biden's saying. His response to this so far has been to disappear with the excuse he couldn't figure out a camera. Then after he managed to hunt down a camera in only a week's (!) time he's been releasing weird af statements that include rambling takes on how he hopes Trump's approval keeps going up because we need him to be strong right now. It's disgraceful.

He's the one who's gonna be running to replace Trump come November and potentially actually have the US federal government fucking do something about this pandemic. So I'm not sure why you would not care what he has to say about the issue or how he's highlighting Trump's failings here.

It's a solid ad. Though Trump has made those fairly easy to create wrt this crisis. That's good to see. We need more emphasis on how Trump has fucked this all up in a way that will kill a lot of people for no damn reason.

shryke on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Not A Primaries Thread Holy Fuck You Guys.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

PBS reporter

people will die because of this

New York City EMS received more than 6,400 medical 911 calls on Wednesday, surpassing the record set on September 11, 2001 - WaPo -

Bno news is a website that has been pretty good at tracking corona news.

So.. A 9/11, every day, for weeks at least.

And that's just the start!! But yeah of course they don't need more ventilators Trump, you fucking fuckface.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So I can't find any body thermometers around my area. How inaccurate would using things like a digital instant read meat probe or those hardware store infrared thermometer guns on yourself?

Those are absolutely useless, as they would only measure the temperature of the skin they hit.

You could try basal thermometers, they're used for other purposes normally, but someone posted further up that they were still available

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

And that's just the start!! But yeah of course they don't need more ventilators Trump, you fucking fuckface.

They should just eminent domain Trump Tower and turn it into an emergency ward.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I don't know if anyone else is a fan, but I've been waiting for this. Caitlin Doughty (Ask A Mortician/Order of the Good Death) released a video today about how funerals may be handled for the near future with what information we have. She's pretty optimistic, all things considered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cbCU-0Hm0c

ceres on
  • Options
    Internal strategy paper of the German government got leaked, apparently the best case scenario demands 200k tests a day, and big data / location tracking measures.

They wanna use every available lab, animal labs too, to reach that goal

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

The idea that SARS2 has been spreading freely in multiple countries since the beginning of the year seems like wishful thinking. There was an article in the FT (not actually a link to the FT) pitching an Oxford study pitching the idea that COVID-19 had been in the UK since January, with the takeaway being that over 50% of the population has already had it and therefore things probably won't be that bad. Except none of that hypothesis squares well with what we're seeing with the current situation with the virus. Either it was spreading much slower (which would conflict with the paper's estimation of how many people in the UK have had it) or it was much less lethal (because holy crap look at Italy, Spain, the USA, etc).

The idea that a large percentage of the population has had this disease but only now are we seeing it have a catastrophic impact on our medical system just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2020
    I had been thinking like I wonder what freedom limiting measures will stay in place after the outbreak in various places. Read today that Orban is most definitely getting passed legislation that calls for a state of emergency and being able to enact laws without consulting parliament - with no date of expiration.

Edit: To be precise they’re using the virus as the excuse for this.

It had been leaning heavily that way but I guess Hungary is about to be a 100% honest-to-god fascist dictatorship for the foreseeable future.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Internal strategy paper of the German government got leaked, apparently the best case scenario demands 200k tests a day, and big data / location tracking measures.

Can you send me a message with the link? This is of interest to me.

• Options

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/corona-in-deutschland-vertrauliche-regierungsstudie-beschreibt-verschiedene-szenarien-a-1cafaac1-3932-434d-b4de-2f63bce0315d
    In a worst-case scenario, the scientists describe what happens if the state does little to combat the corona epidemic, such as banning major events and restricting travel. As a result, 70 per cent of the population would soon be infected, more than 80 per cent of intensive care patients would have to be turned away by hospitals and the death toll in Germany would exceed the million mark.

Another scenario describes the strict suppression of new infections, including extensive testing and strict isolation of those infected. To achieve this, test capacities would have to be increased over the next few weeks and mobile test stations would have to be set up. The study initially assumes an increase in test capacities to 100,000 per day, and a few weeks later to 200,000 per day. According to the Federal Ministry of Health, 200,000 tests per week are currently carried out in Germany.

"In order to make testing faster and more efficient", the paper of the Ministry of the Interior states, "the use of Big Data and Location Tracking is inevitable in the long term". If this model is followed, the scientists calculate that around one million people in Germany would be infected, but only 12,000 would die. The strict procedure would have to be maintained for two months. However, since only a small part of the population would be immunized against the virus after that, "continued high vigilance would have to be maintained," they say.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Here you go, I put the translation of the part I talked about up, too, might be interesting to someone else.

Also, there's a study planned with 100k people to test how long immunity lasts.

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/coronavirus-grosse-antikoerper-studie-soll-immunitaet-der-deutschen-feststellen-a-c8c64a33-5c0f-4630-bd73-48c17c1bad23
    According to SPIEGEL information, a large study is being prepared in Germany to investigate how many people have already become immune to Covid-19 after having been infected.

The study is to be coordinated by the epidemiologist Gérard Krause from the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research in Braunschweig, and also involves the German Centre for Infection Research, the blood donation services, the NAKO Health Study, the Robert Koch Institute and the Institute of Virology at the Berlin Charité.

Although the project has not yet received final approval, the researchers hope to be able to test the blood of more than 100,000 test persons for antibodies against the Covid-19 pathogen from April onwards. The test will be repeated at regular intervals to monitor the progress of the pandemic.

The scientists hope to find out how far Sars-CoV-2 has already spread and how many infected people it actually kills. The results of the study will make it easier to decide when schools can be reopened and major events allowed. If everything goes according to plan, the first results will be available at the end of April.

However, the tests currently available sometimes also work with harmless corona viruses, against which 90 per cent of adults carry antibodies. The researchers hope to have a more precise test procedure in two to three months' time. Then it will be possible to determine more reliably whether someone is still at risk from Sars-CoV-2 and can infect others or not.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/corona-in-deutschland-vertrauliche-regierungsstudie-beschreibt-verschiedene-szenarien-a-1cafaac1-3932-434d-b4de-2f63bce0315d
    In a worst-case scenario, the scientists describe what happens if the state does little to combat the corona epidemic, such as banning major events and restricting travel. As a result, 70 per cent of the population would soon be infected, more than 80 per cent of intensive care patients would have to be turned away by hospitals and the death toll in Germany would exceed the million mark.

Another scenario describes the strict suppression of new infections, including extensive testing and strict isolation of those infected. To achieve this, test capacities would have to be increased over the next few weeks and mobile test stations would have to be set up. The study initially assumes an increase in test capacities to 100,000 per day, and a few weeks later to 200,000 per day. According to the Federal Ministry of Health, 200,000 tests per week are currently carried out in Germany.

"In order to make testing faster and more efficient", the paper of the Ministry of the Interior states, "the use of Big Data and Location Tracking is inevitable in the long term". If this model is followed, the scientists calculate that around one million people in Germany would be infected, but only 12,000 would die. The strict procedure would have to be maintained for two months. However, since only a small part of the population would be immunized against the virus after that, "continued high vigilance would have to be maintained," they say.

Here you go, I put the translation of the part I talked about up, too, might be interesting to someone else.

Also, there's a study planned with 100k people to test how long immunity lasts.

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/coronavirus-grosse-antikoerper-studie-soll-immunitaet-der-deutschen-feststellen-a-c8c64a33-5c0f-4630-bd73-48c17c1bad23
    According to SPIEGEL information, a large study is being prepared in Germany to investigate how many people have already become immune to Covid-19 after having been infected.

The study is to be coordinated by the epidemiologist Gérard Krause from the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research in Braunschweig, and also involves the German Centre for Infection Research, the blood donation services, the NAKO Health Study, the Robert Koch Institute and the Institute of Virology at the Berlin Charité.

Although the project has not yet received final approval, the researchers hope to be able to test the blood of more than 100,000 test persons for antibodies against the Covid-19 pathogen from April onwards. The test will be repeated at regular intervals to monitor the progress of the pandemic.

The scientists hope to find out how far Sars-CoV-2 has already spread and how many infected people it actually kills. The results of the study will make it easier to decide when schools can be reopened and major events allowed. If everything goes according to plan, the first results will be available at the end of April.

However, the tests currently available sometimes also work with harmless corona viruses, against which 90 per cent of adults carry antibodies. The researchers hope to have a more precise test procedure in two to three months' time. Then it will be possible to determine more reliably whether someone is still at risk from Sars-CoV-2 and can infect others or not.

Danke Dir ;)

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52058788
    UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has coronavirus
    Mr Johnson has tested positive for coronavirus, Downing Street says. His symptoms are mild and he will continue to lead the government response to the virus while he self-isolates, a spokesman says.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52056586
    The US now has more confirmed cases of coronavirus than any other country, with more than 85,500 positive tests.

Peas on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

The cruelty is the point.

Right-wingers are going through some incredible double-think right now. Simultaneously they're claiming it's not that bad, it's just a flu or less, more people die from X, while then turning around with almost orgasmic glee at how many New Yorkers are getting sick and dying. Dinesh d'Souza among others has been gloating on Fox about how many libs in California and NYC are dying. denying them resources is an intentional plan to murder as many Americans as possible.

Orwell tried to warn us about fascists. He was in Spain when it turned fascist, and knew how it worked well. Double-think is not some strange weird impossible mental state, but the natural state of non-rational emotional thinkers, whose reality is determined moment by moment by how they're feeling. Ever know someone who can talk about how so-and-so is their bestest and most loyalest friend ever, who would never do them wrong, and then flip without a beat to accusing their bestest friend of being a conniving schemer always getting in their way and holding them back, then flipping back again? People who would contradict themselves over the course of seconds and never notice it, and in fact get angry if this is pointed out? Because there is no external reality to them, no rationality or logic to their world, just whatever direction their brain chemicals are sloshing this moment. Of course these people worship Trump; he's one of them. Of course these people gravitate to fascism, a non-rational contradictory political 'philosophy' that is whatever they feel like it should be at the emotional moment.

Of course they can call themselves "pro-life" while praying for the deaths of millions. Of course they can believe at the same time that SARS2 isn't that bad and we should open the economy back up so they can get their nails done while also believing that the streets of New York will be lined with bodies. We should've listened to Orwell.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Shit, Rammstein lead singer Till Lindeman is in the ICU with pneumonia. I hope he survives.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    Shit, Rammstein lead singer Till Lindeman is in the ICU with pneumonia. I hope he survives.

Source?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Has anyone gotten more details out of Iran?

They've been reporting identical numbers (with a 10% margin) for 10 days now.

That is not impossible, the Chinese 'peak' was an 11 day flat death rate too.

But the Iranian government is hard to trust, and I heard little about lockdowns etcet.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52058788
    UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has coronavirus
    Mr Johnson has tested positive for coronavirus, Downing Street says. His symptoms are mild and he will continue to lead the government response to the virus while he self-isolates, a spokesman says.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52056586
    The US now has more confirmed cases of coronavirus than any other country, with more than 85,500 positive tests.

It's really fucking upsetting that none of these fashy motherfuckers that are responsible for botching the response to this (Trump, Bolsonaro, Johnson) seem to be getting severe cases of this. I'd hoped for a little bit of ironic justice but there appears to be none.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Frostwood wrote: »

Source?

https://today.rtl.lu/culture/music/a/1491234.html

• Options
    Frostwood wrote: »

Source?

It's everywhere but I can't find an English source yet.
    - https://www.rollingstone.de/rammstein-till-lindemann-auf-intensivstation-1926793/

He had to be brought to the ICU and had extremely high fever, but apparently he's feeling better now.

An illness that can fuck up your lungs sucks for a singer in any case. Fuck.

Rammstein is my favourite band in the universe..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    It just baffles me that his rating of how he has handled this is favorable

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by the obliviousness and willful denial of reality of people in this country at this point but Jesus christo

poo
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A note about the progession of he disease:
    People who have few symptoms can still deteriorate fast. Usually about a week after becoming symptomatic. I don't wish ill health on anyone, but there a lot of stories out there of "I was feeling fine, and 6 hours later I was in the IC"
    Also a reminder: The immediate replacement for Johnson is Dominic Raab. That may not be better for the UK....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    A note about the progession of he disease:
    People who have few symptoms can still deteriorate fast. Usually about a week after becoming symptomatic. I don't wish ill health on anyone, but there a lot of stories out there of "I was feeling fine, and 6 hours later I was in the IC"
    Also a reminder: The immediate replacement for Johnson is Dominic Raab. That may not be better for the UK....

Yeah, this thing has a double dip progression it seems.

You feel bad, a bit better, then either much worse, or continue feeling better

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Has anyone gotten more details out of Iran?

They've been reporting identical numbers (with a 10% margin) for 10 days now.

That is not impossible, the Chinese 'peak' was an 11 day flat death rate too.

But the Iranian government is hard to trust, and I heard little about lockdowns etcet.

Iran just enacted a travel ban after an unmeasured but large number (likely in the millions) of people set out to wherever they go for Nowruz, the Iranian New Year celebration (which started March 20th). The people of Iran ignore the government at every turn, since they know they've been fed a diet of lies continuously for generations, so why would that change now? Iran shutting down the internet only exasperates that because people can't get corroboration on news from outside, so it makes the government's claims even more unbelievable; they say the world is suffering a global pandemic, but won't let us see if the rest of the world is talking about a global pandemic. The government is likely doing it to keep bad news from getting out and making them look bad, but keeping information from getting in doesn't help the people inside who already know their worthless government is bad.

Also they set up a temporary hospital in Tehran (just lined-up beds where people can die en masse) and some ayatollahs are pushing conspiracy theories and magic oil cures.

But yeah, I've mentioned their unbelievable numbers before. I assume that Iran hit their testing limit weeks ago since it's always somewhere between 1000-1500 new cases and 100-150 new deaths, every day, but it's certainly worse than that. There have been individual politicians and doctors on their state-run TV who say that the official numbers are enormous lies, and that they're seeing deaths greater than that just in their home towns/hospitals daily, but then they aren't allowed on TV anymore after that.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I doubt Johnson dying would improve the situation in the UK one iota. His replacement is arguably worse.

This discussion has been closed.