As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]7R gets DLC while we wait for Part 2. Guard your Materia!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I was wondering what exactly Tifa's "role" was compared to Cloud and Barrett's and I see she's when you want to shit out a ton of damage in quick succession.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    She’s so much fun. I love her mechanic and goddamn is she fast.

They’ve done a really great job with everyone’s fighting styles. They all feel unique but accessible within the main design

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh man I just got to Sector 7/ 7th Heaven and I literally just let the game idle while I listened to the music.

This is weaponized nostalgia.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    From what I can tell as far as roles go:

Cloud is for when you want to just hit stuff real hard and are fighting melee enemies you can counter in punisher mode.
    Tifa is good for pressuring and staggering enemies since she hits really quick.
    Barrett is long range
    Aerith is also long range and is really good for magic and support.

I think when I get all 4 in my party at once I'll prob run Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith. Aerith just seems like an upgrade to Barrett since she can do long range stuff and is better at magic and healing since I've been using my long range characters for heals.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Man...Not gonna lie I know its partially cause I'm not optimally using the stagger system but man some of these boss fights have been kind of crazy.

As for Barret he's long range but also very tank-y with Steelskin so he's good for drawing lots of aggro.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Went down to grab my deluxe edition here. Employee card is pretty neat, if I ever get a knick knack shelf, I'll throw it up there. Flipping through the artbook though, holy belts! Does Nomura do this on purpose now?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Went down to grab my deluxe edition here. Employee card is pretty neat, if I ever get a knick knack shelf, I'll throw it up there. Flipping through the artbook though, holy belts! Does Nomura do this on purpose now?

Belts are to Nomura as pouches are to Liefeld

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I'm in chapter 4 and I'll say so far the new content has been more hit than miss to me.

I actually don't mind their being a bit of downtime between reactors cause that honestly makes more sense.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Ya I read an interview somewhere where they mentioned that in the original it felt like the whole midgar section took place over a day or so, but that didn't feel like enough time for everything that goes down. So they put stuff in the game to make sure the player felt the passage of time so that the events felt like they were spaced out a bit more realistically.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So let me caveat this by saying I am absolutely in love with the game so far. It's really more than I could have hoped for as someone who was among the people who got to play FF7 when it first came out and was old enough to (mostly) understand and appreciate it. It was seminal game experience for me and so far this is living up to all my dreams of a remake.

That said...attacks with just a couple frames of startup that stun and take control of your character away for upwards of 10 seconds suck. They are not fun. They do not add fun to the combat. I understand they exist to get you to switch characters, but I do that anyway to manage my ATB. With no animation canceling and some of these attacks winding up so fast it's nearly impossible to block them without just standing in your block state until they throw out a stun, hitting them a few times, and repeating...which is a really boring form of combat. If I end up finding a no-stun trinket I will almost assuredly use it on everyone, because I absolutely hate having control of my characters taken away by an attack I have almost no serious hope of defending.

/rant off.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Just generic character mechanics, but I'm spoilering it for those who wanna discover it on their own:
    Cloud is the generic all-rounder who's a bit above average at everything. You get a lot of return from controlling him since his ability to counter attack on blocks is pretty huge, he's good at generating stagger, and his area damage can murder grouped up enemies.
    Barret can deal reliable damage to whoever you want, which can be pretty huge. Dealing reliable damage means he also gets reliable ATB gains, whereas some enemies can make that hard for your melee'ers. Still he's not a lot of damage on his own. But he's got the biggest HP pool and gets abilities that let him tank for the party.
    Tifa is pure melee DPS. Fastest movement and attack speed, but less HPs and defense than Cloud, so she can have trouble staying in against some enemies that deal big AoEs. You can stack her self buff and then absolutely go to town, and her crazy ATB gains lets her spam chakra to keep herself upright. You can also build her as a caster, since she gains ATB so fast, but that means she has less resources for self sustain, and you'll go through a lot of ethers. Useful for some boss fights though.
    Aerith is a glass cannon, with powerful heals and ranged attacks that are waaaay better than Barret's, which can also deal area damage. If left alone she'll nuke everything, but if she gets a bunch of aggro on her she melts.

Basically all of them can have moments where you're just like "OMG YOU'RE SO COOOOOL"

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So without delving into spoilers, I'm rather appreciating the fact that they set up some highlights of why Cloud is actually worth hiring. In the original game, there seems to be no reason to hire him; basically anybody seems to be able to do what he does. But in the remake, you actually get to see why this "SOLDIER" shit is a big deal and regular folks are peons in comparison. The guy is clearly working for peanuts once he starts cutting loose.

The downside is that they didn't fix up things to make believable barriers in a lot of places. Cloud can hack through armor plate and leap something like forty feet, chain link fences and ten-foot gaps should not be any kind of obstacles for him. It's pretty typical RPG barrier stuff and not game-destroying, but I guess they probably couldn't design Cloud-proof environments without making them just a big series of dull armored walls and corridors.

Oh, I also appreciate that Cloud's combat design reflects him as a SOLDIER. He's supposed to be something of a one-man army, able to dive in and wreck enemy soldiers. To that end, he's set up to close quickly with the enemy, then do big area attacks. He can focus a single enemy but his kit is really more for fighting enemy units instead of single enemies. With the new combat system it genuinely breaths some life into his background, and the same goes for the other combat characters since each of their respective fighting styles really gets to visible and relevant here.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Shock troopers kinda kicking my ass

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    So I played through the demo a while back, and the combat just didn't click for me. As soon as I had multiple team members, I started sucking at combat; I couldn't find a flow to be effective, and my non-controlled character would basically sit there being worthless while I make commands with my active character.

Is there a video or article that does a clear explanation of how to not suck in combat?

ABUYA: Always Be Using Your ATB. If your ATB is maxed on on a character, any ATB they generate is just going to waste, so spend that stuff.

Also, guard a lot but don't dodge. Guard works really well and will prevent attacks from putting you into a stagger animation. Punisher stance guards will counter melee hits with a super strong attack with a wide arc that can hit multiple targets (punisher stance can't guard ranged attacks and magic though, so watch out).

Dodge is secretly not a defensive move. Dodge is a gap closer and a repositioning tool to get behind larger enemies. Deadly dodge is a materia you should find fairly early on that cements this.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So let me caveat this by saying I am absolutely in love with the game so far. It's really more than I could have hoped for as someone who was among the people who got to play FF7 when it first came out and was old enough to (mostly) understand and appreciate it. It was seminal game experience for me and so far this is living up to all my dreams of a remake.

That said...attacks with just a couple frames of startup that stun and take control of your character away for upwards of 10 seconds suck. They are not fun. They do not add fun to the combat. I understand they exist to get you to switch characters, but I do that anyway to manage my ATB. With no animation canceling and some of these attacks winding up so fast it's nearly impossible to block them without just standing in your block state until they throw out a stun, hitting them a few times, and repeating...which is a really boring form of combat. If I end up finding a no-stun trinket I will almost assuredly use it on everyone, because I absolutely hate having control of my characters taken away by an attack I have almost no serious hope of defending.

/rant off.

Usually those attacks have a lot more warning than you think, you just don't pick up on them because of the chaos going on making it hard to spot when you aren't looking.
    I had a few tries against (Chapter 8 I think):
    Shiva with solo Cloud. First time she annihilated me, managing to stun Cloud and just leave him hanging while a giant ice block appeared over his head and dropped on him. Second time I was more cautious, and actually noticed the different patterns (but still got creamed when she pulled out Diamond Dust while I was on low health).
    Third time I smoked her.

Then I realised I could have just waited for Aerith to rejoin before fighting her, decided to have another go to make myself feel better, and got creamed even faster than my first time. Bosses, eh?

Similarly, by the end of my fight with Reno I'd figured out how to counter or dodge all of his stunning moves, even though every one of them hit me the first time.

I'm looking forward to when speedrunners take these boss fights apart like they did the old ones, because you know they're going to.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I would play an entire video game of just futzing around with Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I still find Aerith unbelievably irritating

I read a review suggesting her writing was much improved, but this character is just spouting cliches and chattering about nothing

I will not be sad when she leaves the party, so to speak

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    I would play an entire video game of just futzing around with Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie.

There's a pretty great dynamic a few times of Biggs and Wedge like playfully giving Jessie shit and cockblocking her attempts to go hit on Cloud that are just great.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I keep reading "planetologist" as paleontologist, which ends up making Avalanche seem way cooler than they actually are.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I appreciate that both Jessie and aerith are pure "that is a hot boi I must have" and go about it in different ways.

• Options
    Ok Chadley had me cracking up. That was hilarious and stupid.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Shock troopers kinda kicking my ass

Punisher mode, hold down block, counter

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Someone mentioned that certain materia can help you in quests either in this thread or the last one. Does anyone remember which ones?

• Options
    Man...These boss fights ain't no joke.

But I found the secret is to be constantly switching characters. Especially once your controlled character draws a big attack.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    How do I level up weapon proficiency? I like the idea of getting those extra skills, but kinda just want the Busted Sword in cutscenes. Like Biggs said, I'm a purist. ;P

Also Rosch sucks but also I love him.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I love how literally everyone thinks Cloud is hot like fire.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    How do I level up weapon proficiency? I like the idea of getting those extra skills, but kinda just want the Busted Sword in cutscenes. Like Biggs said, I'm a purist. ;P

When you go under Materia & Equipment and go to the weapon equip screen there will be a window on the right side for each weapon when you highlight it that tells you what you need to do to gain proficiency. Most come down to either using them in specific situations or using them a lot and are focused on teaching you gameplay mechanics so you'll naturally gain proficiency over time. Just maybe not fast enough to immediately swap to a new weapon when you pick it up unless you actually do focus on leveling them (which I've been doing 'cause I wanna full complete this game).

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Okay...chapter 8 spoilers + Original game talk
    When Cloud first meets Aerith he has a flashback to her death scene from the original FF7. I guess that gives some credence to the whole time travel theory.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

He is though.
    Did you see him in that dress? Like god damn. Gives Tifa and Aerith a run for their money. Hot as hell <3

cloud-dress-final-fantasy-7-remake.jpg

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned that certain materia can help you in quests either in this thread or the last one. Does anyone remember which ones?
    Assess - number of enemies scanned
    Cleanse
    your choice of one of the elemental materia (fire/lightning etc.)

there is a different reason but you also need Raise maxed out and it has 5000AP required so better to start that as soon as you get it.

the Weapon Proficiency Bonus listed on the equip screen tells you what you need to do to raise proficiency.
    there are a couple that I thought were not worded great. if you are stuck on a specific one I can help.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    A lot of them are just "use this weapons ability to do the thing it's supposed to do" but some of them I've had to go back and figure out more intentionally.

• Options
    Not gonna lie.

I really enjoy all the casual profanity in the game. It really humanizes the characters.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    LD50 wrote: »

It's like a combination of
    A) Cloud is hot
    B) He's extremely amusing to fuck with

Kana on
  • Options
    so there are semi missable weapons....
    not really because of NG+
    if you really don't want to miss them on the first run though.... trying to be vague
    the train graveyard.... make sure you have assess and steal equipped.
    when you meet Hart and talk to who he wants you to, make sure you talk to Hart again on the way out
    you also need to have 10,000Gil to do this

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Question for those further in the game then me. (I'm ch 8, but it's a mechanics question and I guess a spoiler for people who haven't played original FF7)
    Once you get everybody together does the person not in your party still get exp?

Or does that not happen? Can't remember if Barrett and Tifa join your party before Aerith gets nabbed.

H0b0man on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    @H0b0man I am pretty sure they do get xp, not sure if its is full or a %
    Aerith was 3 levels behind the others when I hit max level.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The toughest fight so far was NOT what I was expecting (Wall Market spoilers)
    Hell House was rough. The magic timing in phase 2 is actually pretty tight!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Chapter 8:
    I love that Cloud instantly gained a ton of fans after saving those kids. One kid had a wooden Buster Sword by the time I got back to the main group, that was fast.

Mog Shop kid has some extremely good stuff. Are there enough medals in the game to get everything, or should I be saving for the good shit?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Goddamn that launch into drop kick combo is satisfying!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I was wondering what exactly Tifa's "role" was compared to Cloud and Barrett's and I see she's when you want to shit out a ton of damage in quick succession.

Tifa's role is to make enemies defend her attacks with their face.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling