As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]7R gets DLC while we wait for Part 2. Guard your Materia!

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I do like the extra focus they're giving Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge, though I do wish they would do something more with Wedge than "Big guy likes to eat".

On chapter 4 now and Jessie def has been the biggest improvement as a character so far.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    ED! wrote: »
    Also whats with that personality shift from the landlady! We were just chatting sweetly like an hour ago.

She's a spiritual grandmother. Grandparents are sweetness and light until they suspect you might be upsetting their grandchild in any way whatsoever, then they will destroy you by any means necessary.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Got about 90 minutes in before my work from home shift made me feel too guilty to keep playing. Will try and get back to it tomorrow.

Love it so far. That first drop down to Aerith on the street in the intro made it real dusty in my room, and when Barrett hums the victory fanfare, I just broke out into a huge smile.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    EDIT: Is that skinny fella with the green shirt Balthier's voiceactor?

Biggs? Yes. Gideon Emery has a pretty lengthy pedigree doing video game voicework.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    This game is a goddamn delight.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go back and finish up P5R so I can focus on this.

Was trying to rush it so I could keep up with all the conversation but I kind of want to take it at my own speed anyway. There is a lot more this time around.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So it looks like the texture issue is mostly in the Slums? Game looks really good without all the NPCs.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I'm on PS4Pro with an SSD and have noticed zero pop-in and only a few janky textures here and there, like with the door of Cloud's apartment. Also the game boots and loads surprisingly fast.

• Options
    This might be the most mature FF game. Makes me hopeful for future remakes (FF6 has got to be on their radar).
    metaghost wrote: »
    I'm on PS4Pro with an SSD and have noticed zero pop-in and only a few janky textures here and there, like with the door of Cloud's apartment. Also the game boots and loads surprisingly fast.

I'm getting some NPC pop-in, but textures are fine.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I don't know while the content itself is a bit more mature I think the way its articulated ranks from nuanced to over the top and a bit cartoonish at times.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I wonder if we will get a FFXVI eventually, or if FFVII will take up most of their resources and time for a while.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    This makes me ridiculously happy. I feel like I'm 14 again, playing it for the first time. I can't stop grinning

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Pretty much where I’m at regarding this game so far

https://youtu.be/J3eotWyZv5c

• Options
    edited April 2020
    That said I'm like 2 hours in and I do wonder about the padding complaint cause I've already done the first reactor and that was 1/3 of the original Midgard.

And folks are saying they got like 50 hours.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It's been some time since I posted here.

I'm still quite ruffled that you continue to not use a roman numeral for the thread, but oh well.

I made a little something in celebration of the Remake's release. It's something I wanted to make as far back as 2015, so it kind of symbolizes the personal joy that the day has finally come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot74eMLZTAs

I hope everyone enjoys the experience.

The actual correct title for this game is “The First Remake of the Seventh Final Fantasy Game”.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Wait wait wait hold up (casting spoilers I guess):
    Tyler Hoechlin is Sephiroth? They got freakin' Superman to sadistically talk about killing Cloud's mom?
    Jesus, I did not see that.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Not really spoilers for people familiar with ff7, but just to be safe.

Chapter 2
    I really like how they drive home the effects the reactor blowing up has by letting you see the aftermath and just how much it impacted normal people. It really reminds you that, even though you're on their side, Avalanche is a straight up terrorist group. The speech that Barrett gave after the Avalanche crew saw just how bad the devastation was felt like a textbook "Cult of Personality" style speech that I would 100% believe the leader of a terrorist group to give.

It's something that I feel doesn't get a ton of attention in the original game.

To add to the avalanche stuff, in chapter.... 4?
    We find out Barret's group is just one cell from Avalanche, which is mostly on the outs with the rest of the organization as being too extremist

edit: ooh, and the main Avalanche group is possibly in bed with Wutai? That's a nice way to tie in Yuffie for FF7R2

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So only in a couple of chapters before work but this remake is pretty tidy so far.

Also game drops a cracking hip hop tune not too far in. :biggrin:

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Difficulty
    Classic - game is set at Easy and the controlled character attacks / defends automatically, you only have to decide when to fire off spells/weapon abilities (trying to evoke the old style)

Easy - enemies do reduced damage and are less aggressive.

Normal - I played through the game at this one, you can brute force your way through most encounters but even some basic enemies can be a challenge unless you change up your materia.

Hard - Can't use items at all, MP recovery is greatly limited, bosses get new attack patterns. other than that it isn't significantly harder than late game normal.

you can change difficulty at any time you can access the menu.
    hard is only available once you finish the game once (changing to hard resets the current chapter to the beginning.)

At first I was reading that and I was happy.

Then I saw your last line.

That is a really REALLY stupid decision.

Why the hell lock away basic options like that?

C'mon square.

Traditionally? It's to keep people from jumping into hard mode right at release and then screaming about how the game is too hard on hard.

Considering the game is 35+ hours (probably closer to 50 for doing most side mission stuff), there's no reason to pad the game length. But it also buys them a few days before anybody can try and bomb the reviews because they jump into Hard mode and it turns out it actually is hard.

I don't buy that as a reason at all.

That sounds like a lot of baseless conjecture.

That's literally not different then the same thing happening with people saying it's too easy on easy.

Or too easy on normal(which has already been a complaint about Square games so it kinda shows they don't care that much about the loud internet voices)

Making a decision like that based on an incredibly small group of loud voices on the internet that have no bearing on anything would still be a terrible idea.

There are much harder games released that don't have that issue.

There are lots of games released with more difficulty levels and much harder difficulty levels without issue.

The point of difficulty levels is that every player has a different experience and different expectations from difficulty. So you pick the one that helps you enjoy the game best. Locking it behind beating the game is basically a no gain decision.

Anyone who would have enjoyed the game better with that extra difficulty misses out.

Anyone who doesn't replay games never has the option at all. Even if you do replay games the second time around is naturally easier so a small difficulty bump just kinda evens things out to the first play through.

It's a very very silly decision.

Also not the first time square has made weird difficulty related decisions.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Pretty much where I’m at regarding this game so far

https://youtu.be/J3eotWyZv5c

Is uhh

Is he OK? :lol:

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Wait wait wait hold up (casting spoilers I guess):
    Tyler Hoechlin is Sephiroth? They got freakin' Superman to sadistically talk about killing Cloud's mom?
    Jesus, I did not see that.
    Sephiroth's previous VA was George Newbern. Who was also Superman in the Justice League cartoons.

I'd almost call it a casting gag now if it wasn't more likely just a coincidence.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    The only reason I haven't cancelled my Amazon preorder is because they're still honoring my 20% prime discount from when I initially placed the order back in 2015. Otherwise I would have gotten digital at this point.

I'm in the same boat, not getting it until Tuesday. I can't cancel it because I pre-ordered when it was $40 or I'd definitely go elsewhere. What's really annoying me is that if I bought the game right now on amazon I'd have it on Monday. I get that they are overloaded from Covid related stuff but it just doesn't make sense.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, guys. I don't get off of work for like two hours, but I am so fucking hyped.

• Options
    Seeing materia in the weapons makes me smile more than it should.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Not really spoilers for people familiar with ff7, but just to be safe.

Chapter 2
    I really like how they drive home the effects the reactor blowing up has by letting you see the aftermath and just how much it impacted normal people. It really reminds you that, even though you're on their side, Avalanche is a straight up terrorist group. The speech that Barrett gave after the Avalanche crew saw just how bad the devastation was felt like a textbook "Cult of Personality" style speech that I would 100% believe the leader of a terrorist group to give.

It's something that I feel doesn't get a ton of attention in the original game.

To add to the avalanche stuff, in chapter.... 4?
    We find out Barret's group is just one cell from Avalanche, which is mostly on the outs with the rest of the organization as being too extremist

edit: ooh, and the main Avalanche group is possibly in bed with Wutai? That's a nice way to tie in Yuffie for FF7R2

Spoilers thru Ch.4:
    Thinking back to concerns about Square pulling a "Greedo shot first" moment, the actual context is really interesting in its layers. Like, the dynamic of Jessie not expecting such an explosion, trying to rationalize why it happened, then revealing that she had actually modified the bomb recipe to be more substantial is (to me) much more compelling when the player/viewer is privileged to knowledge that Shinra is technically responsible for the severity of the reactor explosion — especially since Barrett makes clear that he believes that degree of violence is necessary in the fight against Shinra, which is again made more "amusing" knowing that his enemy is responsible for the action he's taking credit for.

And yeah, it's also been neat that you can hear various NPC conversations that add more detail about the Avalanche/Wutai connection and how the trauma of the war with Wutai is a tangible thing that affects that public perception of Avalanche's actions.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Jessie is SO blatantly thirsty and I like her a lot

Biggs is even like "oh god not again" the first time she starts ogling cloud

I guess it would normally feel fanservicey but like, it's not a trait you normally ever see in jrpgs, unless they're just a gag character

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So the best thing ever happened, after scaring me with emails of delays and late shipping and all that...the game showed up today anyway! :D

So very happy. Want to play now and forget work...I don't need groceries...right?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So the best thing ever happened, after scaring me with emails of delays and late shipping and all that...the game showed up today anyway! :D

So very happy. Want to play now and forget work...I don't need groceries...right?

Self-isolate.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    Seeing materia in the weapons makes me smile more than it should.

This is definitely a rad touch.

Also makes me very interested to see what they do with later weapons that have a bunch of materia slots.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4VFseLkG7U

"Gameplay captured on PC"

Hmmmmm.... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    "Meets the expectations of younger fans"...

Back in my day, we had one button and we LIKED it!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    They've been leaning in to the "First on PlayStation" instead of "Only on PlayStation" for a while. A PC release is probably inevitable and an XBox release eventually wouldn't shock me.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Jessie is SO blatantly thirsty and I like her a lot

Best waifu tbh

• Options
    Remake is only exclusive to Playstation until March of next year.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    "only" until March 2021.

"only" 325 days from now.

"only"

• Options
    So, Chapter 4/OG game plot spoilers:
    Well, that was a nice side-story. And we got to meet Jessie's folks!
    Who live directly above her.
    In Sector 7.

Oh nooooooooo.

So I've now made a 'no promises' date for tomorrow night when it's entirely likely that instead, we're going to see her get crushed by her parents house. Not cool, game.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    "only" until March 2021.

"only" 325 days from now.

"only"

When they delayed the game, they also delayed the end of the exclusivity.
    https://twinfinite.net/2020/02/final-fantasy-vii-ps4-exclusive-2021/

• Options
    I am really digging the weapon system. I like that, it seems, weapons aren't "the newest is the best" - the upgrades seem to hint that each weapon is good at something or for a specific play style.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I am really digging the weapon system. I like that, it seems, weapons aren't "the newest is the best" - the upgrades seem to hint that each weapon is good at something or for a specific play style.
    they also evolve over time so you end up switching back and forth between older and newer weapons as they gain new materia slots or passives

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Post Sector 5 stuff (real spoilers)
    So that was DEFINITELY showing stuff that hasn't happened yet.

I swear to god, if this goes all Kingdom Hearts/parallel worlds/time travel stuff I am so on board