As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]7R gets DLC while we wait for Part 2. Guard your Materia!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Was materia always depicted as being rather large? I don’t remember that and for 20+ years now (or whenever FF7 came out) always assumed that material were basically tiny spheres, around the size of those highly bouncy “superballs” (those things you used to be able to get in those capsule quarter machines at ever supermarket.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Drez wrote: »
    Was materia always depicted as being rather large? I don’t remember that and for 20+ years now (or whenever FF7 came out) always assumed that material were basically tiny spheres, around the size of those highly bouncy “superballs” (those things you used to be able to get in those capsule quarter machines at ever supermarket.

Scale was all sorts of fucked up in OG FF7, so who really even knows.

WItem%20Materia%20obtained.png

yuffies-materia-advent-child-final-fantasy-vii.jpg

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, materia in the original game could be anywhere from something that would work as an earring to chunks big enough to surf on, but basically anything you could use somehow also fit into your weapons and armor. "It's literally magic" is the only explanation required.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Why are people giving credit/blaming Nomura for story stuff with FF7R? I don't get it.

Kazushige Nojima wrote the script. Nomura's the lead director, but Nojima's 100% the story guy.

Credit where credit is due.

The basic idea of it is more audacious than its actual execution, and that would have to be Nomura approved, if not his own in the first place.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    even in this game the materia are big on the ground, medium sized in Cloud's sword, and small little jewels in Tifa's gloves

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Drez wrote: »
    Am I the only one that gets kinda confused between R2 and X in combat?
    Constantly. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really wish they had let you cycle through the active character with R2. It's odd because you can do the other way around (press X then cycle through other characters).

Kana wrote: »
    even in this game the materia are big on the ground, medium sized in Cloud's sword, and small little jewels in Tifa's gloves
    They call it "melding" which makes just enough logical sense for me to suspend my disbelief and be fine with "it's literally magic".

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    oh man I finally have Aerith in my party.

Holy crap she's kind of a beast
    Her basic attacks are little magical attacks, which she can chain together. she can also charge up a big spell blast, which does like second-tier elemental damage. She also has a mp-free party heal, and she can put down a ward that grants doublecast to people standing on it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    oh man I finally have Aerith in my party.

Holy crap she's kind of a beast
    Her basic attacks are little magical attacks, which she can chain together. she can also charge up a big spell blast, which does like second-tier elemental damage. She also has a mp-free party heal, and she can put down a ward that grants doublecast to people standing on it.
    her basic attack will split and hit multiple enemies if they are close enough together, the charge ability on Triangle can be tapped for a smaller/quicker attack.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Anyone know where to get the butterfinger bangle DLC once it's redeemed/downloaded? It's not in my DLC menu

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's not actually called that, is it?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Haha no, I've got two available, one called Midgar Bangle, one called..something else. Just dunno how to get it!

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Yes, my copy shiped "early"! No more 4/14 delivery looks like I can play it today at some point. Not sure if I got lucky or if it's just getting bundled with another order coming today but regardless I am so stoked! I haven't been this excited about a game since Xenoblade Chronicles.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Can I get a spoiler-free-as-possible metagame spoiler?
    I'm on Chapter 6:
    Just got the Elemental materia, so now Tifa can throw lightning punches. Knowing the plot, I know I'm going to take the shortcut to the ground at the end of the mission, will I still be able to swipe materia from Tifa and Barret? If not, when is the best point to relive them of their stuff? My plan at the moment is to set Cloud's Buster Sword on fire, but I want to wait as long as possible so I don't deprive Tifa of lightning punches.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm on Chapter 6:
    Just got the Elemental materia, so now Tifa can throw lightning punches. Knowing the plot, I know I'm going to take the shortcut to the ground at the end of the mission, will I still be able to swipe materia from Tifa and Barret? If not, when is the best point to relive them of their stuff? My plan at the moment is to set Cloud's Buster Sword on fire, but I want to wait as long as possible so I don't deprive Tifa of lightning punches.

the game makes things convenient for you, you can switch out gear with characters who aren't actually in your party at the time. So don't worry about it

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm on Chapter 6:
    on the equip screen you can move materia around on characters that are not active for the chapter.
    if you press R1 on the equip materia screen with no character selected it brings up everyones equipped materia at once making it even easier to shuffle things around

also if you have materia slotted on a unequipped weapon then it will show a greyed out letter to the left of the materia colour icon (C=Cloud / T=Tifa etc.) instead of the normal yellow.
    this often happens if you equip a new weapon with fewer slots than the previous one.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Guy I know: "Everyone is so unbelievably hot in this game."

Another person: "Well, it is a Final Fantasy. That's how things tend to go."

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Haha no, I've got two available, one called Midgar Bangle, one called..something else. Just dunno how to get it!

If it's like the preorder/deluxe version summon materia than you need to go: in-game menu -> system -> dlc

There should be a list of any DLC you have available to claim.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I will say my main complaint is that they really do dial up Cloud's broodiness and Barret's angry Black man-ness.

I can only hope those two calm down later but at one point I was like "We get it, Cloud, you're too cool for school."

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Holy shit, this remake is fucking good.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I will say my main complaint is that they really do dial up Cloud's broodiness and Barret's angry Black man-ness.

I can only hope those two calm down later but at one point I was like "We get it, Cloud, you're too cool for school."

I mean in the original he was that way through the whole Midgar.

It just is that in this one, that is the whole game.

I think even once you get outside for a bit he starts to dial it down.

• Options
    Hmm...I'm forgetting...original FF7 spoilers.
    Did the original game ever really explain how Cloud became a Sephiroth clone?

That's something I would love them to expand on.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

In a very, very broad sense only. All of the survivors of Nibelheim were captured by a Shina containment team. Hojo then experimented on them to test his Reunion theory, that multiple beings injected with Jenova cells would eventually seek to reunite. This was a proposed method of finding the Promised Land, since Shinra originally thought Jenova was an ancient. Or at least knew of the connection between Jenova and the Ancients.
    The byproduct was weakling, cannon Fodder grunt Cloud got via Jenova cells and Mako infusion what he couldn't get in SOLDIER, the potential to be as strong as Sephiroth. The other villagers ended up as the "Men in Black" you see throughout the game.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

It did. IIRC, Hojo more or less explains most of it. But some of the important info was missable. In the original, you had to go back to the basement of the ShinRa mansion in Nibelheim towards the end of the game to get how Cloud went from there to Midgar. It explains Zack, how Cloud thinks (and is mistaken for) he's a SOLDIER, etc.

• Options
    Is it weird that I want a new/revamped Crisis Core (rewritten without Genesis) that uses this game's engine?

• Options
    Maaaaaan when you get to the church
    that flash of that cutscene, with the hands and the materia bouncing

maaaaaaaan that was so cool.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    People often mention Genesis as the problem with Crisis Core, but he's only a symptom. It's how people used to mention Jar Jar as though he were the only thing wrong with Ep 1.

These characters are only the most visible, easy to point to thing. But getting rid of them doesn't fix the story in one step. Genesis can be annoying, but Crisis Core's story is fundamentally flawed. And I'm not talking about its placement as a FFVII prequel/explainer. That stuff is almost an epilogue, separate from the main story.

Everything about the main Genesis/Angeal/Hollander/Zack story, with the supposed themes of honor, dreams, and monsters, makes next to no sense. Part of the problem is that the story never digs into what honor means, and why being a partial science experiment somehow makes one a monster, and therefore incapable of honor (?). And at no point does the game talk about the fact that all these characters are part of a private enforcer squad for a world-sucking megacorporation. What kind of honor and dreams could you possibly act on while doing that job? If Zack wants to be a good boy, maybe stop working for the worst people on the planet.

Zack is still a fun character, the music is wonderful, the combat still flows really well, and it was and still is awesome to revisit Midgar and the Nibelheim Incident from a different point of view. It's just...man...that story is about 15 hours of nothing. With 5 hours after that dedicated to the stuff everyone bought the game to see.

Sorry to go off. I've just been thinking about this stuff since I replayed it last month.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Okay...
    That motorcycle segment was really fun.

• Options
    In chapter 8
    These dementor looking things weren't in the original right? It's been a while since I played it, but I don't remember anything about them.

Really curious what their deal is. Especially since in the church they weren't attacking us like all the other times, but helping.

Quick question about Aerith. What determines the element her regular attacks do? Is it her weapon? She doesn't have an elemental materia equipped so it's not that.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    In chapter 8
    These dementor looking things weren't in the original right? It's been a while since I played it, but I don't remember anything about them.

Really curious what their deal is. Especially since in the church they weren't attacking us like all the other times, but helping.

Quick question about Aerith. What determines the element her regular attacks do? Is it her weapon? She doesn't have an elemental materia equipped so it's not that.

To your first question
    They are new in the Remake, yeah.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I can't blame Zack for working for ShinRa. Their propaganda was powerful, and it's not like other people didn't buy into it (see: Cloud's desire to become a SOLDIER when he was a kid). Like so many others, it takes a major incident for him to go from "Well, sometimes their methods are harsh, but they're doing what's best for all... Can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs" to "Fuck those guys." And to be even more fair (lawl) to him, he started showing some hesitancy regarding ShinRa after meeting Aerith. Being exposed to life in the slums tends to do that.

But, yeah, I agree with the rest. On paper some of it is good, specifically (spoilered just in case for the Remake):
    Hojo having a rival, and there being competing Jenova projects. It makes sense that ShinRa would have different projects running in parallel to truly exploit Jenova. Having Zack stumble upon the project(s) and see ShinRa's slimy underbelly is exactly the right way to go, but it was executed in the worst possible way.

Like with so many things, the writer(s) thought that adding more superfluous detail would help the story, but it had the opposite effect. There's now a new proto-Cloud involved with our proto-Cloud, and there's a flimsy not-Sephiroth to oppose them. It's not just the themes that don't work, but the structure itself. We played the game because of Final Fantasy VII, but instead of something new we got a watered down version of it to play through again.

That said, Zack himself is a fun character (especially when he's not saddled with the Angeal and Genesis crap), and the systems are fun. I think there's some potential there, without the 10 extra layers of BS. Maybe a DLC somewhere down the road.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    But, it sure did have ample product placement.

Every game, FF or no, could use more Cup Noodles.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Oh man...Jeesie, Biggs and Wedge have so much more personality and are such fun...
    I'm gonna be sad when they...you know.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Once I finish this, I think I'm going to do another playthrough on Easy with the voices and sound effects turned either off or super low. Just to soak up the music.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    One thing the game has me curious about is how it will handle the transition to the second part.

I assume there will be some sort of save import option, but I'm wondering what exactly will they import.

Can I just grind out the AP on my materia, get everyone to max level, and max out all the weapon upgrades and have all that stuff in the next game?

Will be interesting to see how they handle that.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    One thing the game has me curious about is how it will handle the transition to the second part.

I assume there will be some sort of save import option, but I'm wondering what exactly will they import.

Can I just grind out the AP on my materia, get everyone to max level, and max out all the weapon upgrades and have all that stuff in the next game?

Will be interesting to see how they handle that.

Especially because it's almost guaranteed the second game won't be PS4, but will be PS5 instead.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Well we have "The Cloud"(TM) now so I guess you could probably just save and import your data from there.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Honestly I assume at most a .hack style "we recognize that you completed the game here's a few extra starting things but this is a new adventure"

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    So I played through the demo a while back, and the combat just didn't click for me. As soon as I had multiple team members, I started sucking at combat; I couldn't find a flow to be effective, and my non-controlled character would basically sit there being worthless while I make commands with my active character.

Is there a video or article that does a clear explanation of how to not suck in combat?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    So I played through the demo a while back, and the combat just didn't click for me. As soon as I had multiple team members, I started sucking at combat; I couldn't find a flow to be effective, and my non-controlled character would basically sit there being worthless while I make commands with my active character.

Is there a video or article that does a clear explanation of how to not suck in combat?

Swap characters. A lot. Control whoever's most tactically beneficial at the time.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Playing with a cat in your lap named Jenova is pretty awesome right now.

Good job, past me

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick