As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]7R gets DLC while we wait for Part 2. Guard your Materia!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'm the best. Suck it, Wedge!
    xtbzzs9bg72x.png
    He gives you an item later for doing that, too. Before you

I can't tell if the camera keeps focusing on Tifas boobs or if my eyes are just pulled there by other outside forces but someone should be ashamed!

Yeah, my eyes definitely go there literally every time they're on screen. I'm probably just a perv, tho. Cause god damn is Tifa fine as hell. It's like she got thigh highs just for me <3

Also, just fell onto the church. Time played spoilers in case anyone's worried about that:
    I'm at about 9 1/2 to 10 hours in. Currently on Chapter 8.

Really loving this game so far. Chapter 4-5ish? spoilers.
    I'm still kinda mixed on the motorcycle Soldier dude. He really didn't seem to fit the vibe of the rest of the game so far, he sort of sticks out like a sore thumb, which doesn't really seem like they kind of thing you want the stuff you add to do. At the same time, it was a fun fight and I assume he'll show up again during the exit motorcycle sequence, so maybe that'll be cool?

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I also absolutely cannot overstate how much I love the combat in this game. I still need to get used to switching characters more seamlessly, and to take advantage of their strengths and weaknesses, but I can already tell how awesome it's going to feel when I nail it and can treat the party as one cohesive unit.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Where I am at, I really want to play this. But I want to wait.
    I can't handle having a muti-year gap between starting and ending this remake.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah I've seen complaints that some of the combat quests are just time-wasting, and I guess they are kinda, but the combat feels so good that if anything I've been wishing for more opportunities to just have long sequences of beating up mooks

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'm the best. Suck it, Wedge!
    xtbzzs9bg72x.png
    Javen wrote: »
    Post Sector 5 stuff (real spoilers)
    So that was DEFINITELY showing stuff that hasn't happened yet.

I swear to god, if this goes all Kingdom Hearts/parallel worlds/time travel stuff I am so on board

Look at the spoiler KoopahTroopah posted. Hint: I'm not talking about the Avalanche members.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    also the music is SO GREAT. Obviously some of the combat tracks are fantastic, but like there's a fight in chapter 5 when the combat music is already going, you're running around trying to escape, more baddies show up... and the music drops a beat, juuust long enough for your party and the baddies to run into each other. Like the first swing landing coincides with the combat music roaring back in, and it was super stylish.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    "Give me a minute!" "No."

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    also the music is SO GREAT. Obviously some of the combat tracks are fantastic, but like there's a fight in chapter 5 when the combat music is already going, you're running around trying to escape, more baddies show up... and the music drops a beat, juuust long enough for your party and the baddies to run into each other. Like the first swing landing coincides with the combat music roaring back in, and it was super stylish.

YORP

The Shinra Theme after the first reactor got me to tear up. Fuck this soundtrack is amazing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    You know, I didn’t need this remake to be perfect, I just needed SE to care.

And boy do they care.

I think my first play through is gonna be 100 hours with how often I stop and just look at everything

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ho shit, Advent Children soundtrack showing up too. Kinda didn't expect that!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Grove wrote: »

And boy do they care.

I think my first play through is gonna be 100 hours with how often I stop and just look at everything

I honestly believe that there's a very good chance most of the SE old guard, your Nomura, Amano, Takai, retire once the Remake is complete.

It was pretty obvious from their announcement blogs and interviews that many, especially Nomura, view this project as their swan song, and that they want to spare no expense or effort to make it as perfect as possible

Javen on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I think the one knock I have on the combat is that the party members you're not controlling just kinda stand there and throw out attacks occasionally.

It makes it where anybody who you aren't controlling has their ATB and limit break gauges fill up way too slowly.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I think the one knock I have on the combat is that the party members you're not controlling just kinda stand there and throw out attacks occasionally.

It makes it where anybody who you aren't controlling has their ATB and limit break gauges fill up way too slowly.

It's rough to get used to, but honestly that's by design; to encourage you to actively switch characters

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    The fact that Jessie is voiced by the woman who plays Zoe in League of Legends constantly throws me.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Say what you want about Tifa's character design

But god damn her combat animations are everything I could've asked for

she's soooo badass

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

And boy do they care.

Regardless of my opinions on The Spoilers, it's not hard to see that they put a lot of effort into this to make it good.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

And boy do they care.

I honestly believe that there's a very good chance most of the SE old guard, your Nomura, Amano, Takai, retire once the Remake is complete.

It was pretty obvious from their announcement blogs and interviews that many, especially Nomura, view this project as their swan song, and that they want to spare no expense or effort to make it as perfect as possible

I don't think they're all going to retire. Nomura isn't even 50 yet.

Edit: Granted, they might die of old age before the 7 anthology is finished...

LD50 on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    How is this running on a basic PS4?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    How is this running on a basic PS4?

Digital foundry said it's a very constant 30 FPS. In a few difficult spots the resolution drops low but it keeps on trucking at the same speed.

• Options
    I'm on a basic PS4 and it's been incredible so far. Even better than the demo.

• Options
    Couple late pop-ins and weird load time things where it seems like everyone idles for just a bit too long before starting a scene/conversation but other than that it’s been very good

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Ok this game is just delightful.

The fighting felt awkward and then I got into a groove where I finally understood how to fight with tifa combined with more actively switching and holy crap this is good.

I'm up to chapter 8 and about 10hrs of play so far. Trying to leave nostone unturned here.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that gets kinda confused between R2 and X in combat?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I watched a handful of streams today, to see how the game is compared to what I was predicting. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. I came away from XV incredibly jaded. It was a pretty game that had zero soul. But, it sure did have ample product placement. I came away from that experience incredibly disappointed, to the point of bitterness. It was everything I find so tiresome about AAA gaming - style mistaken for substance. It's definitely not the only game to disappoint me along those lines, certainly, but it hit harder because Final Fantasy had been by far my favorite series.

I mean, I was the kid who would sit outside at recess and imagine what Cecil's crystal armor looked like. When I was essentially stuck in my house for two years after my back surgery because I could no longer fit in the family van (I literally grew a couple inches and couldn't bend forward any more because of the rods that were just put in my spine), there was a LOT of Final Fantasy VI. It was school (accessible bus), sometimes a medical appointment (hired medical van), and home. Shit, I got a PS1 specifically for Final Fantasy VII back in the day. To say that the series is meaningful to me is a huge understatement. Which is why XV pissed me off so much.

It felt like the developers decided that the only way to get out of development hell was to make it a crass money grab. Product placement galore, IRL product tie-ins/promotions, paid DLC that explained and/or fleshed out the main story. And all on top a painfully lackluster product in its own right. And that's why I was so negative about FF7R going into the demo. If SE fucked up a new title so badly, what were they going to do with the game that catapulted the company to household name status? A game that's almost universally loved? To me, it seemed like a cynical attempt to cash in on nostalgia.

But, watching the streams changed that. Like @Grove said, it's readily apparent that the developers care about this. There's a difference between padding and content, and from what I've seen so far, the remake leans far harder into the latter.

So, I re-downloaded the demo to see if the gameplay really was trash, or if I was being unfair because of XV.

I was being 100% unfair.

Taking the time to actually read the tutorial bits (I originally skimmed over them because I was impatient and pissy) made a big difference, as did going in with the idea that switching between party members frequently was the way to go. By listening to my inner Luke Skywalker and letting go of my anger I actually (*gasp!*) enjoyed my second time through the demo. And I think I'm going to get a digital copy after I finish Persona 5 Royal.

So, yeah... I was wrong. And I'm happy I was able to correct my mistake.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    X brings up the command menu for the character you're currently controlling. L2 and R2 bring up the menu for the characters you're not controlling.

It doesn't matter too much in the end because it's easy to switch between the command menus for all the characters once you open it up.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I remember like two product placements in 15. The rest was pretty fun combat in a story I didn't care to follow.

Honestly since FF12 I've come to not expect much from FF story wise.
    Drez wrote: »

I like that you only really need X, but R2 saves a click or two.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Goddamn I love the combat in this game. I’m just flowing from enemy to enemy, juggling, staggering, magic, punisher, dodge, counter BAM.

I love it. It’s so fluid

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I remember like two product placements in 15. The rest was pretty fun combat in a story I didn't care to follow.

It was jarring to me. It reminded me of Top Gun, with Pepsi blatantly everywhere. Suddenly, it's not just Final Fantasy, but Final Fantasy presented by Coleman and Cup Noodles. Which, yeah, I personally find distasteful (we're bombarded by ads... I don't want even more inside my escapism).

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Guy I know beat the game and gave me his thoughts on the ending. Spoiler free.
    Him: It was very Nomura.

Me: So good and bad at the same time, but intriguing nonetheless.

Him: Exactly.

• Options
    One of the streamers I occasionally watch was playing this game and he actually got pretty choked up playing this. Like a blast of lovingly crafted nostalgia at a fucked up time like this is pretty powerful

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    My order will arrive... Sunday. A really good use of my 3 day weekend, for sure.

• Options
    I've been getting choked up left and right. I am constantly taking breaks just to let everything soak in.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I really like Clouds VA.

• Options

Having X stop tile is very jarring in general. I find myself hitting it all the tome when I mean to do other things can bring up the ATB

• Options
    Yeah I'm enjoying the VA's. I was originally planning to play with Japanese vo, but after that last trailer there was a line in there that convinced me to do my first run through in English. My NG+ will 100% be japanese though. Like an extra little treat.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I've even grown on barrets voice.

Very minor character design thing
    Though I'm sad he only took off the sunglasses for like 10 minutes. I thought that was going to be like a moment where you see him turn around his attitude toward cloud and i think it is intended as that but then the next time you have him in the party it's glasses back on and they look dumb

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So I'm pretty much avoiding all discussion about this game, as I usually do when playing new games,but something struck me when playing tonight.

I was walking around the slums, doing sidequests, listening to random civilian dialog, looking for cats and watching lengthy, intricate cutscenes of characters hanging around talking when I realized: Holy shit, this is a really good Yakuza game.

Then as if to confirm my suspicions, not minutes later I was playing darts.

And then to confirm them even moreso chapter 4 happened. This game's dope.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Small QoL thing I'm doing as of
    Sector 5. Give Barret the Assess materia. That way, at the very start of each fight you can use Overcharge to gain instantly gain an ATB bar and use it to Assess an enemy (or the whole group if you're Assess is at level 2). There's been a couple fights so far where Assessing the enemy has be really helping in figuring out what to do from the beginning.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Why are people giving credit/blaming Nomura for story stuff with FF7R? I don't get it.

Kazushige Nojima wrote the script. Nomura's the lead director, but Nojima's 100% the story guy.

Credit where credit is due.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Having X stop tile is very jarring in general. I find myself hitting it all the tome when I mean to do other things can bring up the ATB

I keep forgetting that R2 is “command your teammate” and X is “command yourself” so I keep getting confused during combat. Oh well.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar