As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Disasters] redux: Fires, Hurricanes, Floods, and everything else

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    At least it didn't get a chance to re-strengthen into a hurricane. The real question now, is if it'll die out in sea or manage to stay alive and make landfall yet again somewhere.

The eta thing to do would be to pull a180 and hit Florida again.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    At least it didn't get a chance to re-strengthen into a hurricane. The real question now, is if it'll die out in sea or manage to stay alive and make landfall yet again somewhere.

It stalled out just long enough NW of Cuba to get back up to cat 1, but it's falling apart rapidly. Mostly 40mph winds in tampa right, now, with the coast seeing 50-70mph.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

The eta thing to do would be to pull a180 and hit Florida again.

You mean the year 2020 thing to do.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    So far, just a good bit of rain (which we need) and winds that are about what we normally get in a Summer storm. It'll be a day to stay indoors, but that's nothing new with 2020.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    We lost power last night around 8pm (though the houses across the street never did, it was just our side and an adjacent street or two). Peak I saw was around 34k without power in the pinellas area (Duke Energy). We just got it back on at 7:30am, and my pool is literally at the lip but didn't overflow. Lots of yard/plant debri around but fine otherwise.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    8sk00sodv8d9.png

Nicaragua/Honduras can’t catch a break

VishNub on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    November storms tend to develop in the Caribbean or in the far east Atlantic. 2005 had three November storms, two of which formed in the Caribbean and hit Central America and one of which formed near Africa and did fuck all. 2020's in the same boat, two hits in Central America and Theta wandering off like a poorly supervised toddler in the mall.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I mean, Theta (or the remnants thereof) could end up hitting the island of Madeira, which isn't nothing; that's a tiny target to hit.

Even if Iota doesn't rapidly intensify (which it very well could, since conditions are nearly as perfect for it as it was for Eta), it'll still be passing over the same areas Eta soaked and flooded. They were still very much in the process of cleaning up/searching for survivors after Eta in fact, and any more water will be making conditions that much worse.

• Options
    Update: Iota is rapidly intensifying. Already to Category 2 and rising.

Incidentally,

How crazy has 2020 Atlantic #hurricane season been? The Greek alphabet named storms (Alpha thru #Iota) have now generated enough Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) to meet the NOAA average Atlantic hurricane season definition. They’ve generated 69 ACE. Average season is 66-111 ACE

Philip Klotzbach is a meteorologist who seems to specialize in highly specific statistics about hurricanes.

But yeah, the extra second Greek hurricane season is itself an average entire hurricane season already, before Iota even goes full force.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The 2020 season has featured activity at a record pace. The season's third named storm and all named storms from the fifth onwards have formed on an earlier date in the year than any other season since reliable records began in 1851. The accumulated cyclone energy (ACE) index for the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season, as of 15:00 UTC November 15, is 163.8425 units.[nb 4] Broadly speaking, ACE is a measure of the power of a tropical or subtropical storm multiplied by the length of time it existed. It is only calculated for full advisories on specific tropical and subtropical systems reaching or exceeding wind speeds of 39 mph (63 km/h).

Looks like the season to that point was 94 ACE generated, so we're almost 3/4ths of the way back to that.

Source.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    First Cat 5 of the season... in November...

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    What's super creepy is the current path of Iota is basically projected to go right over my house Wednesday morning... The mountains will largely absorb all the wind energy worth talking about, but the mountains are INCREDIBLY prone to rock slides during heavy rains. We will likely lose our main highway access into the city (again) if that happens), and yet, it's a very nice day outside.

Hydropolo on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-17/stromboli-volcano-erupts-in-high-intensity-blast/12890056

One of Italy's volcanoes- thankfully one nowhere near people because it goes off all the time- has provided an excellent example of why you don't mess around with pyroclastic flows. Look at the speed of that front, and the heat in the IR mode.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i would like to live next to a stromboli volcano.....
    all raining hot sausages with mozzarella flows

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s always cloudy with a chance of meatballs there

• Options
    @Hydropolo Let us know if you're alright, please. I'm reading reports about all kinds of landslides and mudslides in Guatemala and Honduras.

Aaaaand there might be another one following Eta and Iota within the week, as conditions in the southwest Caribbean are still ripe for more development.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-17/stromboli-volcano-erupts-in-high-intensity-blast/12890056

One of Italy's volcanoes- thankfully one nowhere near people because it goes off all the time- has provided an excellent example of why you don't mess around with pyroclastic flows. Look at the speed of that front, and the heat in the IR mode.

Looks to me that the video is sped up 10x, but still.

Aim on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Yeah, doesn't make any difference when you're looking at a footprint that covers a mountain side.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    @Hydropolo Let us know if you're alright, please. I'm reading reports about all kinds of landslides and mudslides in Guatemala and Honduras.

Aaaaand there might be another one following Eta and Iota within the week, as conditions in the southwest Caribbean are still ripe for more development.

Thanks for the concern, it was pretty wet day 1, but almost all of the damage was contained to the eastern side of the country. There are I suppose advantages to living on the opposite side of multiple volcanos from the Atlantic. I feel for Guatamala and Honduras though, they ate the brunt of BOTH of those.

• Options
    It's still early and these aren't the *official* season predictions yet, but current predictions are that 2021 will also have an overactive hurricane season. The planet isn't exactly getting cooler, after all.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The history since around 1990 has been that after a hyperactive season, the next stretch until another hyperactive season is mostly above the previous average, years like 2020 seem to indicate a kind of threshold break where the new level is lower than the threshold but higher than the last level.

• Options
    Heck of a nor'easter happening now.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We were forecast 5-10 inches. Woke up to about two feet.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Huh we were forecast 6+ inches, got like 1.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My first snowstorm! Today was delightful, but ask me again tomorrow after I have to get to work...

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Huh we were forecast 6+ inches, got like 1.

tnab0plebrj8.jpg

I'm right across the river from lebanon. We got dumped on.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Why I Love My Fucking Home State, That's Not A Tumbleweed Edition:

We got sustained 70+ mph winds, which resulted in fun things like power outages and tipped semis. Also, since it was trash day as well, I have the feeling that everybody's city-issued trash cans got shuffled around.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    So remember how $20 billion had been set aside from Puerto Rico for recovery and rebuilding after Hurricane Maria? Only $138 million has been spent so far because Trump believed Puerto Rico was super-corrupt, the most corrupt anywhere (it's always projection) and so had ridiculous levels of red tape slapped onto everything to make the funds basically unavailable (it's always projection/the cruelty is the point). Biden's administration is working to free up those funds so they can do something, even if it's four years late.

That's always the thing about natural disasters - it's really the human element that ultimately determines how bad they end up being.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Earmarked for paper towels only

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So remember how $20 billion had been set aside from Puerto Rico for recovery and rebuilding after Hurricane Maria? Only $138 million has been spent so far because Trump believed Puerto Rico was super-corrupt, the most corrupt anywhere (it's always projection) and so had ridiculous levels of red tape slapped onto everything to make the funds basically unavailable (it's always projection/the cruelty is the point). Biden's administration is working to free up those funds so they can do something, even if it's four years late.

That's always the thing about natural disasters - it's really the human element that ultimately determines how bad they end up being.

$138 million out of $20 billion is exactly 0.69%

If I thought they were any smarter than they are I'd almost believe that percentage was purposeful

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Texas is currently dealing with Icepocalypse 2021. The Arctic air and precipitation has so far led to a 100 car “mass casualty” pileup in Dallas/Ft. Worth (at least 5 dead, many people trapped in their cars for hours; there’s some really scary footage of it out there on Facebook), a 26 car non-fatal pileup in north Austin, probably hundreds of regular wrecks all over the state, there’s an 18 wheeler stuck on an overpass in South Austin because the tow trucks can’t get to it due to the ice, power outages all over the place...

and we apparently have 2-3 more winter storms blowing through over the weekend, with record low high temps and record low low temps. We’re looking at 3-4 days remaining well below freezing here in Central Texas, probably more in North Texas. Usually, we’ll dip below freezing overnight a few times a year; our homes and infrastructure aren’t prepared for this kind of extended cold and ice situation. It’s gonna be interesting to watch this weekend.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Fucking finally. It is a goddamn crime those funds have been withheld this long.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    fuck around (with greenhouse emissions raising ocean temps thus altering the jet stream) and find out

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Here in Houston we are looking at the coldest temperatures since 1989. It wouldn't surprise me if that Dallas pileup is just a preview of what happens here, but hopefully that pileup encourages people to just stay home next week.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    What's wild to me about the Texas pileup is the curiosity of "was this better or worse due to less traffic due to Covid?"

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    What's wild to me about the Texas pileup is the curiosity of "was this better or worse due to less traffic due to Covid?"

Texas is positively Floridian in ignoring COVID protocols. Very few people staying home, all kinds of indoor dining, retail open... I’m sure traffic is mostly back to pre-COVID levels.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

What's wild to me, is that mid double, through low triple figure pileups aren't rare as fuck.

I understand that ice/snow is a contributing factor, and that it's usually in places that don't experience these commonly (I remember Georgia having it happen a couple years back).

But when I was learning to drive, it was drilled into my head, "drive to the conditions". If visibility sucks, or road surfaces are crap, you slow the fuck down.

I mean, I could see people skidding off the road all over, but all on the same stretch of road, at the same time? Just seems strange.

• Options
    Most people don't drive to conditions. Ever. You'll hear things like "I came around the corner and he was just there in the road, I didn't have time to stop!" from people who claim they were driving safely. Never mind that if you can't see the road ahead enough to stop for an obstruction you are by definition not safe..

Also a lot of people don't understand that it's not the snow that's the problem, it's the ice. And that ice isn't always obvious. You can be scooting along just fine and that hahahaha fuck you no traction.

• Options
    jimb213 wrote: »

Texas is positively Floridian in ignoring COVID protocols. Very few people staying home, all kinds of indoor dining, retail open... I’m sure traffic is mostly back to pre-COVID levels.

I had about two months of good commute in the spring.