As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    That odds calculator they all use would be a lot more interesting if it gave damage distribution instead of win/loss chance.

Agreed. My personal stats show a slight increase in average damage per round but a larger increase in standard deviation. So, the games are only a little faster, but are substantially swingier. There is a lot more “oops take 25 because of first attack” even though overall damage is roughly the same.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I decided to look back through old forum threads to try to find the decklists that I had previously used to hit Legend with. I know that they were Murloc Paladin, Big Warrior, and Secret Hunter, but I didn't think to save my actual lists anywhere except as posts here. The search function hasn't helped much.

But I did find this great forum post from a year ago:
    Shadowhope wrote:
    I definitely feel like the post-rotation environment will be biased towards random value generation. I think that if combo decks become enough of a thing that they can be tier 1 or even solid tier 2, then the meta has enough tools to make them pay for it. Year of the Dragon looks like it's going all-in on making Kibler happy.

Yep. Year of the Dragon definitely was very, very biased towards random value generation.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I have sometimes thought it might be interesting to see a more aggro focused BGs meta, but in the end I don't think the design of BGs allows for that to ever be fun or interesting.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Oh shit, be sure to free up space in your quest log tonight. I think we get an extra event quest this Tuesday.
    Whoops, I should have confirmed first. Turns out tomorrow (Wednesday) is extra quest day.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ben Brode responded to my tweet asking what the card was. LOL!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Ben Brode responded to my tweet asking what the card was. LOL!

Murloc meta confirmed!

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    That odds calculator they all use would be a lot more interesting if it gave damage distribution instead of win/loss chance.

Agreed. My personal stats show a slight increase in average damage per round but a larger increase in standard deviation. So, the games are only a little faster, but are substantially swingier. There is a lot more “oops take 25 because of first attack” even though overall damage is roughly the same.

They're probably running a Monte Carlo-simulation anyway, so they have the data. They just choose to obfuscate all the interesting information, for some reason.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Epic quests

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    They nerfed Twin Slice!!

Its now a 1-mana, give your hero +2 attack this turn, gives you second slice which is also a 1-mana, give your hero +2 attack this turn.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    yM34AtG.png

a fun meta where i've just hit T4 two turns ago, this is my warband (which i'm feeling pretty okay about!), it's still early no one has died yet, and i run up against a Patches with a full fucking board of gigantic ass pirates and i just explode

oooookay

take your highroll win and be off, then

(admittedly the positioning is off, i should've had whelp sitting in the back but timer was going down and i was doing some last minute rolls and found 2nd goldgrubber)

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Dibby wrote: »
    My hope is that they come out with a balance/adjustment patch in a... somewhat timely manner. Arcane Cannon and Macaw do not belong on T2. Period the end. Arcane Cannon should be T3 and Macaw should HONESTLY be T5 if not T6, but the reality of the situation is that they'll simply bump Macaw up to T3 and pat themselves on the back and call it a job well done and then go radio silent once more.

dn66Qyz.png

LMFAOOOO YOU FUCKING CLOWNS

edit: oh my god the jaraxxus buff, did they learn nothing from Tirion? holy shit that's, YIKES. THAT'S NOT GOOD.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    T3 might make it rare and late into the pool enough that you can no longer consistently pick it up and force beasts.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    T3 might make it rare and late into the pool enough that you can no longer consistently pick it up and force beasts.

Having fewer of them will be good, but this will just make high rolls even better. Maybe a slight buff to AFKay?

Anyway, I buy Macaws even in late game so, like Dibby said, this probably won't change things too much.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »

They're probably running a Monte Carlo-simulation anyway, so they have the data. They just choose to obfuscate all the interesting information, for some reason.

That’s how they said they do it, yes.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure nobody can NOT read that tweet and hear his laugh.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    ronzo wrote: »
    They nerfed Twin Slice!!

Its now a 1-mana, give your hero +2 attack this turn, gives you second slice which is also a 1-mana, give your hero +2 attack this turn.

Mixed thoughts on this.

So, let's start with the positive. It's fucking fantastic that it finally no longer costs 0 mana. This means no more free early game removal (play out 1/2 drop, Twin Slice as backstab), no more T3 Satyr activations, no more T5 Glaivebound activations, no more colossal boardswings with T5 Warglaives+Twinslice, MUCH less overall power with Altruis.

HOWEVER. I really don't understand this whole "well if we're nerfing it we gotta also buff it to make up for the nerf" mentality they have going on. Like, no! No!! Don't also then give it more damage! That's a lategame buff that gives DHs more reach! Even MORE reach! This is like when they decided "let's buff Altruis's attack". There's no need! I promise you there's NO NEED.

Overall it'll probably make things feel less oppressive early on, though, so, sure. I think this is good overall, but, eeeeeeh.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Nah the buff is good, 1 mana +1 attack is basically unplayable. It's just the hero power, but it takes a card. I'm not even sure that 1 mana +2 is playable, Twin Slice's power comes entirely from being free so you can tempo it out with Satyr or Warglaives or the 1 mana growing demon or a stupid Altruis turn or what have you.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    edit: oh my god the jaraxxus buff, did they learn nothing from Tirion? holy shit that's, YIKES. THAT'S NOT GOOD.

nah jaraxxus still isn't going to be that good. the reason Tirion was so busted is that +1/+1 was getting like triple-quadruple value from all the divine shields.

edit: also good to see they made Maiev literally playable, I was fuckin' livid when I saw how that originally worked

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    EavpcD4XgAQN-eb.png
    EavpddAWkAACCT4.png

hmmmmm

the difference between these two images......

i wonder what it could mean.........................

macawgrounds is really really boring and i feel like i literally have to grab macaw on T2 and rush to T4 triple into goldrinn to actually win games and that sucks ass

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    shergakshergak Registered User regular
    been playing a lot of Galakrond Priest and I think that Sandhoof Waterbearer is my favourite card in standard. Just a better Ragnaros Lightlord.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    This is like when they decided "let's buff Altruis's attack". There's no need! I promise you there's NO NEED.
    Not really. Altruis would still do basically the same thing if they didn't buff his attack when they nerfed his mana. He'd still be played just as much. If all they did to Twin Slice was the mana nerf, it would be a useless unplayable card. I think since the DH's kit is still so small, they're trying to tweak cards in a fashion that they're still playable.

Maybe once DH has been around for a year or two, they'll be more willing to Warsong Commander cards since the class will have more to fall back on.

forty on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    They nerfed Twin Slice!!

Mixed thoughts on this.

So, let's start with the positive. It's fucking fantastic that it finally no longer costs 0 mana. This means no more free early game removal (play out 1/2 drop, Twin Slice as backstab), no more T3 Satyr activations, no more T5 Glaivebound activations, no more colossal boardswings with T5 Warglaives+Twinslice, MUCH less overall power with Altruis.

HOWEVER. I really don't understand this whole "well if we're nerfing it we gotta also buff it to make up for the nerf" mentality they have going on. Like, no! No!! Don't also then give it more damage! That's a lategame buff that gives DHs more reach! Even MORE reach! This is like when they decided "let's buff Altruis's attack". There's no need! I promise you there's NO NEED.

Overall it'll probably make things feel less oppressive early on, though, so, sure. I think this is good overall, but, eeeeeeh.
    3clipse wrote: »
    Nah the buff is good, 1 mana +1 attack is basically unplayable. It's just the hero power, but it takes a card. I'm not even sure that 1 mana +2 is playable, Twin Slice's power comes entirely from being free so you can tempo it out with Satyr or Warglaives or the 1 mana growing demon or a stupid Altruis turn or what have you.

I'm definitly leaning more towards 3clipse's point of view here. Like a twinspell equip a 2/1 weapon for 1 mana would be played, but this is a weapon that has to be played this turn. It basically just combos well with the lifesteal weapon and warglaives.

Also, it costing mana makes it a lot harder to move other cards into the left hand outcast position. No more free shifts of skull or eyebeams.

• Options
    Oh, got to play a game with Aranna today. She seems quite good! That increased consistency is great!

It was also a BIT mentally overstimulating trying to quickly look at 7 minions and discern if any are good at a glance, though.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

nah jaraxxus still isn't going to be that good. the reason Tirion was so busted is that +1/+1 was getting like triple-quadruple value from all the divine shields.
    Not just that, it was also far more consistent to get a smattering of solid tribeless minions. Jaraxxus requires forcing demons to get any hero power benefit, and if you're just not getting offered them you're still going to crash and burn. And on Tirion it wasn't too hard to get full +7/+7 hero power value by the mid game. Jaraxxus doesn't even get full value if he's rolling with any non-demon synergy cards like Wrath Weaver or Soul Juggler. He's been dumpster tier forever so it'll be nice if he at least becomes a viable pick for a change.

I'm surprised no Hooktusk nerf yet. Guess these changes must have already been planned and they haven't reacted to Hooktusk's ridiculous power yet.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I love this dumb card so much.

kqufmwqaxmpt.png

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »

Not just that, it was also far more consistent to get a smattering of solid tribeless minions. Jaraxxus requires forcing demons to get any hero power benefit, and if you're just not getting offered them you're still going to crash and burn. And on Tirion it wasn't too hard to get full +7/+7 hero power value by the mid game. Jaraxxus doesn't even get full value if he's rolling with any non-demon synergy cards like Wrath Weaver or Soul Juggler. He's been dumpster tier forever so it'll be nice if he at least becomes a viable pick for a change.

I'm surprised no Hooktusk nerf yet. Guess these changes must have already been planned and they haven't reacted to Hooktusk's ridiculous power yet.

They moved Sauralisk to tier 2, that kills the best Hooktusk strat. They'll prob just wait to see if it's enough.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I previously considered myself a fairly decent BGs player peaking at 8k but in the last few days I've free fallen to 5.9

Just game after game where I get killed from 20+ life by someone who highrolled the giganuts kicking me out dead last or 7th

So I'm done with it until they address the problem cards

Right now it's an unfun waste of time

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I'm sure RNG certainly plays a big role, but maybe not as bad as we think since it's also learning the new meta?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Has anybody played the adventure content? Outcast is significantly shittier when your hand is full of 7+ drops.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Yeah i've seldom been more annoyed when playing value cards. "Dangit i can't play anything without stuffing my hand even more!"

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    You are supposed to use your hero power to get the outcasts on your right side.

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Has anybody played the adventure content? Outcast is significantly shittier when your hand is full of 7+ drops.

Mother Sharaz is kicking my ass

What a step up in difficulty, good lord

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »

You only have the discover a card hero power for half the time. Eventually you get an upgraded version of the DH hero power.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    *cough*

• Options
    AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    My part 3 of chapter 2 in the solo adventure seems bugged. Felfire run. I start it and it just sits on enemy phase and won't let me do anything. Huh!

• Options
    Alphagaia wrote: »

You only have the discover a card hero power for half the time. Eventually you get an upgraded version of the DH hero power.

In that part, your deck has become more like a regular demon Hunter deck. It does contain a few big cards, which is why you shouldn't draw that heavily if you got a card in hand you want played, as it can clutter. In the second part, you are better of keeping your starting hand as low as possible: in cost and size.

See my profile here!
  • Options
    shergakshergak Registered User regular
    The Aranna skin is so much better than Illidan that it made me wanna play demon hunter. There's less vengeance and demons.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Just finished the adventure. What is this, why does a card game have a more interesting story than the RPG it's inspired from

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    I previously considered myself a fairly decent BGs player peaking at 8k but in the last few days I've free fallen to 5.9

Just game after game where I get killed from 20+ life by someone who highrolled the giganuts kicking me out dead last or 7th

So I'm done with it until they address the problem cards

Right now it's an unfun waste of time

I’m focused on griftlands and monster train until this gets sorted out. And maybe finishing the book on time. Maybe.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Just finished the adventure. What is this, why does a card game have a more interesting story than the RPG it's inspired from
    There were some really cool stories all over the WoW experience. The Green Hills of Stranglethorn "book", the whole Defias plotline, Ulduar... lots of things! Just hard to remember between all the "kill 5 boars" quests.