As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Bringing them a bit of whatever you end up smoking is going to make you some fucking friends for life.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Bringing them a bit of whatever you end up smoking is going to make you some fucking friends for life.

that's a good idea!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I have some pork belly slices in the freezer, need to figure out WTF to do with them.

Pork fried rice: much garlic, plenty ginger

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Xaquin wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »

that's a good idea!

Never a bad idea to be friends with the folks whose business you'll frequent. And smoked meats make for great neighbors.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife is a picky eater, and usually I can deal with it but oh my god tonight.

We're doing quick and easy Chicken kievs, bought em frozen, toss em in the oven, make some rice and you have signed. Personally I'd prefer a cord on blue, but the store was out.

Now, I am so tired of plain white rice you guys. We have some rice a roni boxes, and some rice pilaf that I suggested I could make. "What no, why would eat that with kievs? You need just white rice. That's how you do it and half that stuff is spicy." I still have no idea on gong on 8 years what she thinks spicy means because I've never had spicy rice a roni

So yeah, despite my protests to try and bring some flavor to the table were having breaded, butter chicken breasts with no flavor, and plain white rice. Anyone have some ideas on what I can add to my cooked rice to...bring it to life a bit?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

We're doing quick and easy Chicken kievs, bought em frozen, toss em in the oven, make some rice and you have signed. Personally I'd prefer a cord on blue, but the store was out.

Now, I am so tired of plain white rice you guys. We have some rice a roni boxes, and some rice pilaf that I suggested I could make. "What no, why would eat that with kievs? You need just white rice. That's how you do it and half that stuff is spicy." I still have no idea on gong on 8 years what she thinks spicy means because I've never had spicy rice a roni

So yeah, despite my protests to try and bring some flavor to the table were having breaded, butter chicken breasts with no flavor, and plain white rice. Anyone have some ideas on what I can add to my cooked rice to...bring it to life a bit?

Dry toast the rice for a few minutes before you put it in the water for cooking. Gives it a nice nutty flavor.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    when I make Indian food I put a couple cardamom pods, a couple whole cloves, and a few drops of rose water in with the water when the rice is steaming

I doubt you're making much Indian food though I guess

Xaquin on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Couple of ideas:

Use stock instead of water with the rice.

Put a little bit of fish sauce in the water while it’s absorbing.

Make a condiment that you can put only on your rice when you plate it up (google “sambal” Malaysian style is probably my favourite)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2020
    I will say that if my partner is keen on a meal and I know I'm not gonna like it I usually tell them to go nuts and I'll make myself a sandwich or something. Or grab the parts I do like and make my own sides. And vice versa.

Life is too short not to eat spices.

tynic on
  • Options
    Never not eating chillies

Coach your missus not to be a basic bitch, bucketman!!

(I am sure your wife is wonderful)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Never not eating chillies

Coach your missus not to be a basic bitch, bucketman!!

(I am sure your wife is wonderful)

Yeah tell your wife she's anorchus but give it zero context or explanation.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    My wife is the same. She likes plain white rice..wait for it... with butter! She also uses all the damn rigatoni to make buttered noodles all the time. She doesn’t’ really care for red sauce she says. She likes Alfredo but even though she raved when I made Alfredo for the whole family, she prefers jarred sauce! Black Pepper is spicy for her. She also LIBERALLY douses her food with salt. It’s so salty I can’t take a bite of her stuff. Thank god she works Mon-Thur 3p till 1am. So I can cook good food for me and the kids.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Shit mum is home, hide the spaghetti and meatballs, kids!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    My wife is the same. She likes plain white rice..wait for it... with butter! She also uses all the damn rigatoni to make buttered noodles all the time. She doesn’t’ really care for red sauce she says. She likes Alfredo but even though she raved when I made Alfredo for the whole family, she prefers jarred sauce! Black Pepper is spicy for her. She also LIBERALLY douses her food with salt. It’s so salty I can’t take a bite of her stuff. Thank god she works Mon-Thur 3p till 1am. So I can cook good food for me and the kids.

For real, I love the woman (obviously, I married her), but in college they use to call her The Toddler because of how she acts when shes drunk and also because she ate nothing but grilled cheese a chicken tenders.

And Grilled cheese and chicken tenders are wonderful in all aspects. But man you can only eat it so many times a week. She also does the buttered noodles thing all the time. The other day I made Spanish Rice for taco night and added a literal dash (maybe 2) of cumin and the rice was inedible!

On the plus side I've gotten her to eat fish and she likes scallops, crab, lobster, talipia, and cod. Still hates salmon.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    yeah as a picky eater myself I don't burden my s/o with food requirements, but damn spicy rice a roni wtf ??

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I know two people who think black pepper or ginger is too spicy, and I feel like their dislike of flavor comes from their parents not being very adventurous cooks. It's kind of odd, since spices are the cheapest way to make otherwise bland food taste good.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So much of the joy in my life is cramming new and splendiferous things into my cake hole that it is really difficult to imagine deriving joy from the same flavor profile for longer than, like, a week.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    There are developmental windows for flavour exploration and if you don't get exposed to a lot of variety in those periods it can be very challenging to expand your palate later in life. So yeah, parents with a limited repertoire and no access to diverse cuisines as a young child is likely to do a number on you later in life

That said, it's not a lost cause, as long as you're psychologically open to trying new things. I hate licorice and anise, but somehow learned to love fennel in my twenties.

tynic on
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    There are developmental windows for flavour exploration and if you don't get exposed to a lot of variety in those periods it can be very challenging to expand your palate later in life. So yeah, parents with a limited repertoire and no access to diverse cuisines as a young child is likely to do a number on you later in life

That said, it's not a lost cause, as long as you're psychologically open to trying new things. I hate licorice and anise, but somehow learned to love fennel in my twenties.

Also different people have different densities of tastebuds, different combinations of chemical receptors, and different sensory thresholds.
    Not that anyone in this thread was doing this but it's wild how common it still is for people to be shamed or judged for sticking to less intense flavour profiles or being less adventurous with new flavours, despite how we all experience senses differently from each other.

I don't experience it for food because give me all the intense and new flavours now please, but I experience sounds more intensely than average and man people get funny about that too (e.g. calling you an 'old person' or considering you inherently boring for not being able to cope with loud pounding music).

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Some shichimi togarashi is an easy way to spice up plain rice. To be honest I'll put it on almost anything. I have not tried in on ice cream but that doesn't mean I won't at some point.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Stuff this basic white bachelor does with basic white rice:

Make it with stock instead of water, as someone else said. If you actually have chunks of chicken you can mix in, even better.
    Put soy or teriyaki sauce on it.
    Mix in some alfredo sauce, or cream of mushroom soup, etc etc; basically make it into a risotto.
    Sprinkle curry powder over it; works good with the alfredo idea above.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options

Also different people have different densities of tastebuds, different combinations of chemical receptors, and different sensory thresholds.
    Not that anyone in this thread was doing this but it's wild how common it still is for people to be shamed or judged for sticking to less intense flavour profiles or being less adventurous with new flavours, despite how we all experience senses differently from each other.

I don't experience it for food because give me all the intense and new flavours now please, but I experience sounds more intensely than average and man people get funny about that too (e.g. calling you an 'old person' or considering you inherently boring for not being able to cope with loud pounding music).

Yeah I've definitely experience that shit as a super taster.

My least favorite insult of all the insults is babymouth, it's just such a condescending shitfuck of a thing to say and I instantly think you're a trash human if you use it in a serious capacity to insult someone who maybe just wants chicken tenders

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It is exhausting to live with someone who wants fundamentally different things from food than you.

We ate like the same 6 meals in rotation For two decades because my dad is a fussy eater and now when one of us gets excited about checking something new out my mom always has to remind us “your father won’t eat that” and we all kind of deflate with the cosmic sound of an untied balloon echoing around us.

The other side of that coin being my poor dad feeling hungry and uncomfortable looking at a menu full of shit he ain’t want to eat, which seems like it sucks!

sarukun on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    My dad was a fussy eater for years and I was always like "jesus christ dad live a little what the hell"

Ten years of this later he goes to the doctor and it turns out he had ulcerative colitis and just never got his CONSTANT GUT PAINS checked out

No wonder the poor dude didn't enjoy things with lots of garlic and onion or too much spicy

(Then he had a significant colonectomy to address pre-cancerous polyps in his insides and now his life is even more miserable in terms of consuming anything with roughage/uncooked vegetables/anything fun at all so YIKES, take care of your insides folks)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    That sounds like something my dad would do.

"Wait, eating isn't supposed to render me unto gut-wrenching pain? Go on..."

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

A pinch of tumeric adds a light scent and a light yellow colour (this is gateway spiciness)

A squeeze of tomato puree stirred in with the water will make the rice a reddish gold colour and taste a bit tomatoey

Finely slice an onion and fry it up a bit in the pan then make the rice in that pan with the onion to give it an oniony flavour

1 or more cloves of garlic peeled and smashed will add a garlic flavour

Some lemon zest & juice will make the rice lemoney (this is a difficult one for anyone to call 'spicy')

A teaspoon of cumin seeds (this may cause her to shoot fire from her mouth, so make sure to have your phone on camera mode and ready when she takes a bite)

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I had untreated acid reflux for a lot of my early adult life. A lot of my comfort/safe food is white and creamy and bland. Rice with butter. Buttered noodles. Cottage cheese and noodles (childhood favourite films being East coast Jewish). Alfredo sauce. Cream cheese sandwiches.

I tend to shy away from tomato based anything. Or chili anything. Until recently when I've actually got a medicine that helps and I've been widely expanding my tastes. I actually have a bottle of Tabasco sauce in my fridge now. I only add like two drops to things, but I still add it!

I like mushroom rice (white rice and a can of cream of mushroom mixed in). I also like to mix in ranch dressing, or Caesar dressing, or basically any creamy salad dressing.

It's tricky in our house because all of my comfort foods are cream based, but ecco doesn't do creamy food at all. And while I'm up for experimenting, there are just things the way they are. Pbj sandwiches are only strawberry jam. I can't mix an Indian main with a Chinese side. My brain just rejects that. My stomach protests the idea of mixing those flavour profiles together. Certain foods go with certain things, for me.

But my dad was even pickier than I am. Growing up or was chicken breasts, white rice, canned green beans. The only fresh vegetable he will willingly eat is lettuce. Almost anything else will be rejected completely. And it's gotten worse as he's gotten older in they now he won't even think about eating beef. He could live happily on Hebrew National hot dogs and soup.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    There is an entire subcuisine of Indo-Chinese food though! You should really give some of it a whirl, it's real good! Gobi manchurian, momos with schezwan sauce (this is not at typo)...

Just saying.

Mmm fuck now I want momos and aloo baigan ki sabzi instead of leftover coconut mango rice salad and chicken.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    There is an entire subcuisine of Indo-Chinese food though! You should really give some of it a whirl, it's real good! Gobi manchurian, momos with schezwan sauce (this is not at typo)...

Just saying.

Mmm fuck now I want momos and aloo baigan ki sabzi instead of leftover coconut mango rice salad and chicken.

Those might not work so well with acid reflux

BTW Lonely, IDK if it's available in NZ, but I take Nexium for my acid reflux and it's like goddang magic. I take it once every 3 days and now I only get the burn maybe twice a month.

V1m on
  • Options
    I want garlic cheese naan.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh I'm taking omeprazole now and it's wonderful.

But my early adult life I didn't have health insurance and so it was either black market style whatever my dad could send me in care package, or lots and lots and lots of tums.

And I know there's indo-chinese food! But that's like, it's own thing! Not two dinners Mish mashed in my kitchen. It's weird! I know!

But tacos are tacos. And taco meat doesn't go with udon noodles (for example). Then again, we don't eat taco meat on shells it tortillas anymore, we use white rice.

But if I'm making beef stroganoff, I'm serving it with buttered noodles. Not mashed potatoes or rice.

I'm weird! I know!

• Options
    I'm absolutely tossing udon noodles with taco meat this weekend.

• Options
    You're weird! You, who have so many conniptions over what is a dumpling and what isn't a cubano. And you're ok with taco udon.

I don't even know who you are anymore, Sarukun. I figured out of anyone here you would be my ally in this. My weirdness.

This is written with the most absolute sarcasm and feigned dismay possible.

• Options
    Oh I'm taking omeprazole now and it's wonderful.

But my early adult life I didn't have health insurance and so it was either black market style whatever my dad could send me in care package, or lots and lots and lots of tums.

And I know there's indo-chinese food! But that's like, it's own thing! Not two dinners Mish mashed in my kitchen. It's weird! I know!

But tacos are tacos. And taco meat doesn't go with udon noodles (for example). Then again, we don't eat taco meat on shells it tortillas anymore, we use white rice.

But if I'm making beef stroganoff, I'm serving it with buttered noodles. Not mashed potatoes or rice.

I'm weird! I know!

Health insurance? But... it's like £10 for 14 capsules, that' s a 6 week supply!

How fuckn much was it in the US? Let me take a guess: it was $600 a month?

• Options
    reading everyone's experiences... maybe I'm not as picky an eater as everyone makes me out to be jesus

• Options
    You're weird!

Correct, yes.

• Options

So we talked about this last night and yeah, when I was young my parents MADE me eat stuff I wasn't a huge fan of. My wife said her parents never wanted to fight with her so every night they made dinner for the family, and fish sticks or chicken fingers with mac n cheese or spegitti-o's seperate for her. Every single night. No wonder her pallet never developed.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Oh it's usually even before the fighting age - it's basically before you can walk too far. Once you're at 18-24 months you get hyper conservative about tastes for a couple of years, especially about bitter stuff, and it's thought this is an evolved mechanism to minimise the chances you ingest a bunch of dumb shit while adults are distracted. This relaxes after a bit, but by then you've kind of normalised what food is "expected" to taste like. There's a host of reasons that processed baby food was a horrible invention, I would say fucking up kids taste buds and textural norms is one of the big ones though.

But yeah you can kind of force it a bit if you have the energy to fight with your kid every day for like a decade. Apparently the best thing to get ahead of fussiness is as soon as the kid is weaning (even before being fully off milk) is to feed them bits of exactly what you eat, mushed up if necessary.

tynic on
  • Options
    My old man is also a bit of a fussy eater. New things are scary but he is very proud of himself when he orders something like linguine and clam sauce. It's mostly because his parents were awwwwwful cooks. Like fucking horrid. Holidays with them were a trip when it came time for dinner. It got to the point that other family would just show up with Boston Market or something like that.

That said, he was out here visiting me in LA last year and we want to one of David Chang's places, Majordomo. I've been a number of times because it's one of my favorites but it's not exactly full of food that he'd dig on. I fully expected for him to get the short ribs and grumble a bit about the spices or flavoring. Instead the dude pulls a move and ended up getting the skate with sichuan peppers and roe....and loved it. "When would I ever be able to get something like this again? ...and why are my lips numb?"

Alright, man, good job.

Then Thanksgiving rolls around and "the turkey is a bit too juicy.

...dammit, dude.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Turkey cannot be too juicy.

JFC...

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.