As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Decided to learn how to do my own poached eggs. Second try worked pretty well! Had one on top of rice and some pickled veggies for lunch today.

cgzt560re0hd.jpg

Tynnan on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I made Kenji's sweet and sour chicken for dinner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyVPQoCibg

it was RULL GOOD

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    ..... is he not wearing pants?

edit: Pineapple juice and ketchup sounds fucking incredible, I'm gonna try this some time.

sarukun on
  • Options
    he's wearing shorts, they're just a weird color

• Options
    also if you don't have a wok it's not a big deal, I made it in a 12-inch cast iron skillet and it was fine

• Options
    We had a wok but we didn't use it that often and it was kind of a pain, especially for the size.

I do have a nice stainless steel wok thing, but it takes a bit to get hot.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Hello cooking thread. I'm picking up mulled cider ingredients for our socially distanced outdoor christmas gathering. I tried to ask my sibling what they pick up for it but apparently it was so deep into id-level thinking that words were a serious problem.

So, what usually goes into mulled cider? I did get some notes: a gallon of cider, an orange, a packet of mulling spices (clove, star anise, nutmeg?) Anything I'm missing?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That'll give you a pretty good base, I would probably add fresh ginger and a cinnamon stick, but it's really to taste. If it's a very dry cider I sometimes throw in a little brown sugar or caramel to get that rich sweet wintery edge.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I have a bit of an odd question for y'all

When you use google to search for recipes, do you almost universally get random food blog results rather than mainstream websites?

Because honestly I do not trust or like food bloggers and it is SO insanely frustrating to have to open separate search tabs for Serious Eats, Food and Wine, Saveur, King Arthur Flour, etc, etc, etc, to look for a recipe I can rely on

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    The best part about food bloggers is they all use the same shitty “photo-writing-photo-ad-writing-photo-writing-ad-writing-OKAY FINE YOU PERSISTENT A-HOLE, HERE’S THE FUCKING RECIPE I GUESS” useless-ass format.

Wait, did I say best? What’s the other thing?

sarukun on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I get a mix of everything

I just use whatever has the best ratings and also incorporates the ingredients I actually have

Food blogs are like 90% fake at this point I'd bet and they all just copy off each other

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    At this point I just add serious eats, etc etc into the search to see if they have a recipe for whatever I'm looking for.

The average food blogger is not to be trusted.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm more and more checking to see if a cooking YouTube person I like did the dish before because I don't care if your family loves the taste of this delicious meal or about whatever trip you took to discover the fresh taste of peppers or whatever food blogs post

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I use duckduckgo, I typically get regular recipe type pages.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    If you’re serious about cooking, I think it’s worth shelling out for an americas test kitchen or milk street subscription

They test the recipes exhaustively explain the reasons why you do things without a tangent about grandma

The reason why food bloggers do that is so you scroll by more ads, the stories provide SEO. If you just pay you don’t have to worry about it

I’ve also had good results with nytimes cooking

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I read them all. I also read as many comments as I can to see what variations and additions people made. Honestly I don’t care if the recipe is from a big site or a blog. I kinda view it how I like to try those small shack food places that tend to put out amazing food.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I prefer (certain) food bloggers because (filtered by cultural background) I trust their recipes to be more authentic. And I have a (probably undeserved) prejudice against recipes printed by ingredient manufacturers. SeriousEats etc I tend to fall back on only for american style cuisine.

But I am very picky about which food bloggers - a lot of them are useless twats. I'll do some research on the person (and a vibe check) before following what they say blindly.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, I should follow some food blogs. I like cooking, but I tend to get into ruts. Like right now I'm cooking my Default Meal, which is just chicken thighs and broccoli and potatoes and mushrooms and onions all baked up in a casserole dish with some soy sauce. I need to come up with some decadent, complicated dishes to cook for my upcoming four-day isolation weekend. Maybe I'll find one of those ragu recipes that has like three kinds of meat and takes all day to cook.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    When I google recipes I skim for ones that use measurements by weight instead of volume because volumetric baking is fucking useless. When it comes to cooking, like, soups and stuff, I'm mostly just looking for what kind of ratios and what spices go in and I just kinda wing it from there.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I pretty much just go with Alton Brown, unless Ragusea disagrees, at which point I hear both arguments and make a decision about which camp I'm in. I only search recipes for flavor profiles/combos that I'm uncertain about (to wit: what spices/herbs to add to make meatloaf "christmas-y").

But I also stay in my lane and really only eat american and western european cuisine because, well
    536a83b021f62f01209bd909.jpeg

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I should cultivate some food bloggers to follow

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tox nooo! Try and expand your horizons if it’s not cost prohibitive to do so!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man, I should follow some food blogs. I like cooking, but I tend to get into ruts. Like right now I'm cooking my Default Meal, which is just chicken thighs and broccoli and potatoes and mushrooms and onions all baked up in a casserole dish with some soy sauce. I need to come up with some decadent, complicated dishes to cook for my upcoming four-day isolation weekend. Maybe I'll find one of those ragu recipes that has like three kinds of meat and takes all day to cook.

I like this food blog. It is aptly named https://iamafoodblog.com/

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    When I google recipes I skim for ones that use measurements by weight instead of volume because volumetric baking is fucking useless. When it comes to cooking, like, soups and stuff, I'm mostly just looking for what kind of ratios and what spices go in and I just kinda wing it from there.

Me, I'm still paddling around in the shallow end and have no kitchen scale nor any plans to get one.

• Options
    notya wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

I like this food blog. It is aptly named https://iamafoodblog.com/
    Obrigado!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Me, I'm still paddling around in the shallow end and have no kitchen scale nor any plans to get one.

Just get a cheap OXO kitchen scale or something. They're great

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'll chime on on the Serious Eats rec

also Kenji Lopez-Alt's cooking videos from his home kitchen are also very good, well explained, and he tends to keep things pretty simple

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I've had some good luck with Gimme Some Oven and Two Peas and Their Pod as far as food blogs that keep popping up on my searches that have usually given me some good recipes.

Two Peas in particular have these great zucchini brownies that I make for Ellie's daycare birthday parties because they are egg/dairy/nut free, so pretty much great for taking into a school. Plus they're *amazing*.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    since going back to work in the office I haven't had as much energy for cooking lately, so I decided to correct that now that I'm on christmas vacation

tonight's meal, chonky steak cooked sous vide, roasted brussels sprouts, and a smashed cucumber salad

na21fx6eahyy.png

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Tef wrote: »
    Tox nooo! Try and expand your horizons if it’s not cost prohibitive to do so!

But it tastes funny! No but seriously I'm almost 40 and can't handle rosemary at all and, like, even the mildest of hot sauces hurt. I'm just happy I discovered salt, ya know?

I was contemplating lamb for easter but my wife said no because she cannot stomach cooked meat that looks that red (we've got her down to "very medium well" for steak and if it's Filet she'll do actual medium well)

It is what it is and like, yeah I'm probably missing out on a lot of flavors, but after learning how to make biscuits from scratch then discovering frozen pillsburys are just as tasty, faster, and less messy; I'm kinda resigned to it. We're both overly simplistic eaters and unless/until there's kids I don't feel compelled to try

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    It’s honestly fine. Food means different things to different people!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Food means Fambly!

And new, larger clothes.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We decided that for Christmas Eve dinner we'd like to try rabbit, so I got one, but now I'm not sure what the best way to cook it is. Everyone seems to agree that braising or stewing is usually the best way to go because it dries out easily but I'd like to cook it in a way that lets us taste it. Any rabbit eaters around with helpful tips?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    We decided that for Christmas Eve dinner we'd like to try rabbit, so I got one, but now I'm not sure what the best way to cook it is. Everyone seems to agree that braising or stewing is usually the best way to go because it dries out easily but I'd like to cook it in a way that lets us taste it. Any rabbit eaters around with helpful tips?

You should try hasenpfeffer, doc.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I really want someone to invent the medium.com or wikipedia.com for recipes. Not frills just pure information and a deeply angry discussion about what's wrong with every recipe.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I really want someone to invent the medium.com or wikipedia.com for recipes. Not frills just pure information and a deeply angry discussion about what's wrong with every recipe.

I reccommend the paprika 3 app. when you download a recipe, it removes all the fake stories and leaves you with nothing but ingredients and directions with an option to scale the recipe and edit the recipe. It's a godsend.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

I've never cooked rabbit but whenever I've had braised or stewed rabbit I was immediately aware I was eating rabbit. It's very... rabbity. I find it tasty but it's a stronger flavor than most domesticated meat.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Last time I did rabbit I used this recipe https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jan/31/mustard-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

I'm sure if you did it and withheld the mustard you'd get concentrated rabbity flavour from the reduced stock

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I've had some rabbit in my days

It's good for making stews, I think we make something like rabbit and veggie stew with a bit of red wine in it

You can also soak the rabbit meat in a salt brine for a day, then rinse it thoroughly with water and pat it dry

(Discard the brine)

• Options
    Rosemary and thyme go really well with rabbit! Wild I strictly stew it. A savoury meat pie is always a good choice.

I’ve never had farm raised rabbit before, but you could probably get away with braising or roasting it I guess

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
This discussion has been closed.