As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    did a test run of a salad I'm bringing to dinner with my parents/sister tomorrow night, kind of a combination of a brussels sprout slaw I've been making the last couple weeks, and the roasted squash & radicchio salad BA did for a thanksgiving series a year or two back

UnBYxXl.png

That's shredded brussels sprouts and radicchio, roasted butternut squash, crumbled feta and pomegranate seeds, with a lemon/dijon/maple vinaigrette.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Brisket is Inn the slow cooker

Chicken stock cause it's what I had
    Garlic
    Onion soup mix
    Pickling spices
    Bay leaves
    Mushroom

Gonna take it out at five, mix up some kind of glaze, and then into the oven for about twenty minutes

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    For Christmas day dinner I'm attempting a homemade Chicago deep dish

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made some angel biscuits over the weekend:

ArUKkeZ.jpg

Being mostly butter and shortening they are seriously not good for you, but oh so tasty

xet8c.gif

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brisket is Inn the slow cooker

Chicken stock cause it's what I had
    Garlic
    Onion soup mix
    Pickling spices
    Bay leaves
    Mushroom

Gonna take it out at five, mix up some kind of glaze, and then into the oven for about twenty minutes

Lookin' forward to seeing the finished result!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020

Came out really good

Edit:

So in the slow cooker for 6 hours on high.
    chicken stock
    pickling spice
    bay leaves
    garlic
    yellow mustard seeds
    white mushrooms
    balsamic vinegar

out of the slow cooker and into the oven for about 25 minutes with my favourite beef glaze
    tomato paste
    american brown spicy mustard
    dark soy sauce
    golden syrup (usually dark brown sugar but i couldnt be bothered digging into the pantry for it tonight)

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that looks wonderful!

• Options
    Give me some of that Brisket!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I have a bit of an odd question for y'all

When you use google to search for recipes, do you almost universally get random food blog results rather than mainstream websites?

Because honestly I do not trust or like food bloggers and it is SO insanely frustrating to have to open separate search tabs for Serious Eats, Food and Wine, Saveur, King Arthur Flour, etc, etc, etc, to look for a recipe I can rely on

I get weird food blogs plus stuff like allrecipes, the latter of which never puts enough salt or spice in anything and the former of which is just really hit-or-miss

for American classics I stick to ree drummond, otherwise I go for serious eats, or straight to Kenji, sometimes Chef John or Alton Brown

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Well on the way to having everything ready for tomorrow so I can just heat up on the day and not be trapped in the kitchen for hours.

Swede mashed, cauliflower cheese ready to finish in the oven, sprouts blanched to finish off with pancetta and chestnuts, beef shin about 30 mins away from being braised. Just waiting for that last minute crushing revelation that I've forgotten something really important.

Dessert will be croissant bread and butter pudding but I think that's best made on the day.

Fake edit: Forgot dumplings, will sort those in the morning too.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    So this D&D cookbook has a ribs recipe I might try next month.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I hate that everything is a food blog but it did lead to me discovering Sally's Baking Addiction and she rules, so that's something.

• Options
    I also want to try the salmon recipe but I'm really bad at cooking fish

• Options
    I've really worked on upping my fish game recently.

Anything fish-related with Eric Ripert on youtube is gold.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oh god. I decided to make J Kenji Lopez Alt's fancy bolognaise recipe for my Christmas staycation, and somehow missed out on two of the three pounds of meat that go into it. And so I had to go to the grocery store at 3 PM on Christmas Eve.

Folks, that's one of the scariest places I've been this year. I saw a dear friend that I have not seen since the beginning of quarantine, and I did not make eye contact because I didn't want her to see the elbow-swinging monster I had to become to get to and from the butcher counter with my lamb and pork.

Never again.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Holy craaaaap
    id3g7bx6ae8z.jpeg

• Options
    Extremely full now.

But mother in law has made second dessert.

Back in a bit.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Holy craaaaap
    id3g7bx6ae8z.jpeg

Dope.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    so for christmas I was gifted a dumpling cutting/folding set!
    this is actually amazing because I love making my own dumplings but doing the folds and crimping does my back in something fierce. This gadget makes it so fast I could dumple all day.
    We made prawn gyoza, which I do not have a photo of but trust me they were A+, and then decided to mix it up a bit by creating tiny empanadas. (pictured: Merguez lamb sausage and mushroom)

tygesunqhjlk.jpg

I am very excited to use this tool to create all manner of folded pastry goods, I tell you what.

• Options
    A few days ago I cooked ribs and they were very good

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My fiancee and I cooked some venison and mushrooms yesterday

Very good

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Over the holiday I made a Deep Dish pizza (bottom crust was not thick enough but it turned out OKish), steak and crab legs, lemon rice soup, and a curry

• Options
    I realize now that I need a dumpling folder, I didn't know before but I do now.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

so9ladfxlyci.png

You can borrow mine, I never use the damn thing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    so for christmas I was gifted a dumpling cutting/folding set!
    this is actually amazing because I love making my own dumplings but doing the folds and crimping does my back in something fierce. This gadget makes it so fast I could dumple all day.
    We made prawn gyoza, which I do not have a photo of but trust me they were A+, and then decided to mix it up a bit by creating tiny empanadas. (pictured: Merguez lamb sausage and mushroom)

tygesunqhjlk.jpg

I am very excited to use this tool to create all manner of folded pastry goods, I tell you what.

drooling at this plate

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

so9ladfxlyci.png

You can borrow mine, I never use the damn thing.

Here I've been folding mine by hand like a chump and you have a perfectly good appliance sitting in a drawer somewhere, for shame sir.

• Options
    I picked up a kinda plastic dumpling press thing and I hate it. So when we make them I just told by hand. I mean they look like pierogi instead of gyoza, but whatever they're folded.

I'm curious to see what tool you are using, @tynic

• Options
    Something along these lines

sd72hna513pn.jpg

I can see how it might be difficult to get the requisite force with a plastic press, but these are excellent and I had no splits at all in the gyoza. The empanadas were a little more prone to occasional clam-mouth, but that was mainly because of the dough and cooking style (laminated pastry, so it puffed a bit and pushed a few apart - only a couple though, so if I'd taken more care they would probably have been fine as well).

• Options
    Ahh yeah I have seen those at my local fancy kitchen store.

Though I'm not sure I really want an excuse to make more dumplings

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Something along these lines

sd72hna513pn.jpg

I can see how it might be difficult to get the requisite force with a plastic press, but these are excellent and I had no splits at all in the gyoza. The empanadas were a little more prone to occasional clam-mouth, but that was mainly because of the dough and cooking style (laminated pastry, so it puffed a bit and pushed a few apart - only a couple though, so if I'd taken more care they would probably have been fine as well).

That tool is just a Gyoza Dad twitter incident waiting to happen.

But yeah, I use a (flimsier, I think) version of that too, and it's a nice help that takes it from annoying to fine for me, but I am skill-free and impatient, in all fairness.

Mostly though I get empanadas from a local restaurant with an Argentinian owner. He doesn't really do Argentinian food, but will sometimes randomly make amazing empanadas and post on instagram that they're for sale. So now my whole life is just refreshing instagram so I can get empanadas. It's not the life I envisioned when I was younger, but what can you do?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    ...how viable is the concept of a miniature calzone-empanada-pierogi thing

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The three tools I want to get next are a tortilla press, a cast iron waffle maker and a cast iron swedish pancake pan.

• Options

well calzones use a bread-like dough
    empanadas use an egg-butter pastry
    and pierogi pastry doesn't have butter
    so I think your main impediment to realising this dream is that they're fundamentally incompatible casings.

There are some secondary issues, ie pierogis are boiled and the other two are baked, but these are comparably trivial nuances.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

well calzones use a bread-like dough
    empanadas use an egg-butter pastry
    and pierogi pastry doesn't have butter
    so I think your main impediment to realising this dream is that they're fundamentally incompatible casings.

There are some secondary issues, ie pierogis are boiled and the other two are baked, but these are comparably trivial nuances.

The casing is largely secondary to the filling in this inquiry, though I imagine some will work better for being stuffed with various cheeses and dipped in a manner of tomato-based sauce.

I just want handheld packets of ricotta in a dough shell, basically

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The three tools I want to get next are a tortilla press, a cast iron waffle maker and a cast iron swedish pancake pan.

I love my tortilla press

• Options
    well yeah then go for it, you can put anything in dough.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

I love my tortilla press

I actually switched back to using a rolling pin for my tortillas after being gifted a press for my birthday this past summer. The press was better at making the tortillas into a uniform shape, but I prefer them a bit larger than the ones the press produces, and I found that I had better control over the thickness of each tortilla when using the pin.

On the flip side, I desperately miss my old waffle iron

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Totino's seems to be doing pretty well selling something pretty similar :P

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm just collecting novelty cookbooks now, just picked up a Hearthstone cookbook, which is by the same author of the Star Wars and WoW cookbooks I already have and really like, and it's...largely bar food? All of it seems relatively easy to make, and most of it is much quicker, which is good considering my holiday break from work is up so I'll have less patience to wait for bread to rise for an hour plus.

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I'm just collecting novelty cookbooks now, just picked up a Hearthstone cookbook, which is by the same author of the Star Wars and WoW cookbooks I already have and really like, and it's...largely bar food? All of it seems relatively easy to make, and most of it is much quicker, which is good considering my holiday break from work is up so I'll have less patience to wait for bread to rise for an hour plus.

The Dungeons and Dragons cookbook that just came out seems pretty cool. I got one for a friend and flipped through it first, lots of good recipes. @Uriel just made ribs using a recipe from the book. Check that one out!

This discussion has been closed.