As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    to be fair (to be fair) I mostly use bog-standard brown or portobello mushies as the stock basis, because yeah wasting good mushrooms is a crime. But throwing a few other varietals in really rounds out the profile.
    Also I think the "simmer dried mushrooms to let them release flavour" is an important part of it - reconstituted dried mushrooms do seem to pack more of a punch than fresh ones.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    to be fair (to be fair) I mostly use bog-standard brown or portobello mushies as the stock basis, because yeah wasting good mushrooms is a crime. But throwing a few other varietals in really rounds out the profile.
    Also I think the "simmer dried mushrooms to let them release flavour" is an important part of it - reconstituted dried mushrooms do seem to pack more of a punch than fresh ones.

I used some reishi earlier this year but that's because you don't really cook with those as much as make tea...from what I could tell, so it seemed like it made sense to put into stock.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I appreciate the feedback! I may go with the ATK one as I like the space savings (and also I need an excuse to buy a food processor). My primary intention for this stuff is risotto so packing in flavor is paramount. I wonder if i can work some kombu into that one.....

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Anyone ever make butternut squash fries?

I've got one sitting here and am doing burgers tonight and well..hmmm...

Gotta imagine it would be akin to a sweet potato but figured I'd ask.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i present to you,

the current best thread on twitter:

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I believe that it is literally free, actually.

• Options
    I've come across a mention of tempura broccolini, and while I can't really see how you could get the broccolini cooked through in the short window given by tempura batter, I'll be damned if I'm not intrigued enough to try it out

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    par boil it fist maybe?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    par boil it fist maybe?

that's my best guess. And drain it real well to minimize oil explosions.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    how does one normally do tempura veggies, just batter and fry them raw?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Usually yeah. Generally you slice em real thin before battering to make sure they cook through, but the picture I saw of the tempura brocolini (it was in a pub) was definitely whole stalks, so there's gotta be a double cook method going on.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I realized that the bunch of asparagus I bought was way more than I needed for a week's worth of the pasta I'm making, so now I'm chopping off the succulent tips and throwing like two-thirds of the stalk away.

I feel like a Roman emperor.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Usually yeah. Generally you slice em real thin before battering to make sure they cook through, but the picture I saw of the tempura brocolini (it was in a pub) was definitely whole stalks, so there's gotta be a double cook method going on.

I've definitely seen tempura asparagus, and broccolini's always seemed about the same thickness to me? Never seen it in person, but I feel like they'd be similar.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Broccolini is usually chunkier than asparagus except for maayyybe really thick asparagus, and is somewhat denser - it takes a lot longer to eg. char or steam. That said I would probably par boil tempura asparagus too, now you mention it. Unless it was like, those tiny thin adorable new asparagus stalks.

tynic on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Ehh I can think of at least a reasonable handful of common tempura items that are boiled/steamed beforehand. You have to cook lotus root and I think you also have to cook burdock root before you can tempura fry them, but tbh I've never bothered to try preparing my own

Also I'm pretty sure I've had tempura yam once or twice

Anyway yeah blanch that shit and dry it in advance, tempura to order imo

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You don't need to boil carrots, zucchini, or cucumber before tempura frying them, but I'm not sure I've heard of anyone but my family making tempura carrots.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I very much want tempura lotus root now and I'm supposed to go out for burgers

BURGERS! YOU AREN'T LOTUS ROOT!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I'll eat burgers

you can have lotus root

win win!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    You don't need to boil carrots, zucchini, or cucumber before tempura frying them, but I'm not sure I've heard of anyone but my family making tempura carrots.

local japanese place here has carrots in the tempura veggie assortment, they do them in nice diagonal slices to make elongated disks that aren't thin or anything and they come out cooked nicely.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Lotus root fried in cheese is one of the things i miss most about drinking in Japan.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Made chicken and prawn steamed dumplings today with my new dumpling press thing ( Thanks @tynic )

4 skinless/boneless chicken thighs, chopped into bit size pieces
    100g peeled and deveined prawn cutlets
    1 spring onion, chopped small
    garlic
    ginger
    fish sauce
    soy sauce
    ground black pepper
    and some water

I wizzed up all of that in my food processor to a nice looking paste, adding the water as needed to get it moving

Filled the dumplings, then steamed them in my new bamboo baskets for about 10 minutes

Really good

I had leftover dumpling skins, so I got some apple pie filling (which down here isn't spiced with anything at all wtf) and some of this new Cherry and Apple compote stuff sold in some jars and filled the leftover skins with that.
    Baked them at about 180 for about 9 minutes. I didn't put any egg wash on the cherry ones, and they got super brittle. The apple ones with the egg wash fared better.

This experiment wasn't a complete success, but I have some ideas on how to make improvements for future dessert hand pie/dumplings int he future.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    gonna take a second try at caccio e pepe tomorrow

probably needed more pasta water and lower heat.

• Options
    tonight I made socca with caramelized onion, cabbage, and carrots topped with basil and asaigo

It's delicious

e2xzaffna6z1.jpg

• Options
    I didn't grocery yesterday like I kinda-badly needed to and as a result I had none of my standard fruits/yogurt combinations, or toast, or anything, available for breakfast today

Thankfully for reasons truly unknown to me, Past Sandra bought a grapefruit and so I supremed it and took instagram inspiration and topped it with a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes and toasted pistachio, and a drizzle honey and tahini

Not bad at all!

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Typically I do like 85% of the cooking but they by wife refused to allow me to. She hates cooking but tonight she made a wonderful chicken breast in a cream sauce with bacon and mushrooms, simply fantastic. She even used the cast iron!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    On my continuing Journey To the Back Of the Freezer, I made some gozleme with some frozen filling and a new dough recipe. I tried baking them, since I've had trouble with doughy sections left in the crust when cooking them in a hot skillet. These cooked much more evenly, but I miss the heavily-browned spots. The science continues.

The good news is that I had some gozleme filling and feta left over, and so I went ahead and mixed that in with the frozen Moroccan pot roast, topped it all with garlicky mashed potatoes, and made possibly the most highly-seasoned shepherd's pie I've ever cooked. Hella flavorful.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    success
    f8es60lkrkfe.jpg

• Options
    that looks great

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That looks delicious

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That is some caccio e pepe ass caccio e pepe, Uriel.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    its so good.

I ate like the whole pan of it.

that's gonna come back to bite me later but right now? yummy.

someday I wanna do some homemade noodles with it

I think I could have used fresher peppercorns too, and a less aged cheese. the cheese flavor was much stronger than the pepper. not that I'm really complaining. still totally delicious.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made my first souffle yesterday. And because I'm an adult and can do whatever I want, I made a grits souffle:

bwN6z4q.jpg

It was great, and rose perfectly. A great use of the stand mixer my friends got me for my birthday!

xet8c.gif

• Options
    gonna take a second try at caccio e pepe tomorrow

probably needed more pasta water and lower heat.
    success
    f8es60lkrkfe.jpg

My favorite way to make caccio e pepe is to just take the cheap store bought ramen, toss the packet, cook the noodles, and take a bit of stock and a bit of the pasta water as the base, and just add a bunch of parm* and pepper and such.

It's become a very simple "we have nothing to eat" sort of meal for me.

That said a thicker noodle like you have there would probably make it much, much fancier.

* the "parm" in question is actually a three cheese blend (This stuff, specifically)

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    This... this might actually get me to eat store ramen again.
    (I haven't wanted/been able to since the summer back in college when I had to live on the stuff. Good way to lose some weight and acquire some vitamin deficiencies.)

• Options
    edited February 2021
    (I haven't wanted/been able to since the summer back in college when I had to live on the stuff. Good way to lose some weight and acquire some vitamin deficiencies.)

If you're not a purist then cheap store ramen is a good quick pasta to keep and depending on your spice rack / condiment shelf then you can kinda just go wild. Hell just plain ramen (salt the water!!!) And a little bit of low sodium stock with some salt pepper and garlic powder is, like, something to eat that's usually different and reasonably tasty

Tox on
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

If you're not a purist then cheap store ramen is a good quick pastato keep and depending on your spice rack / condiment shelf then you can kinda just go wild. Hell just plain ramen (salt the water!!!) And a little bit of low sodium stock with some salt pepper and garlic powder is, like, something to eat that's usually different and reasonably tasty

when I was in college, I'd buy a box of ramen, 2 napa cabbages, a couple onions, a dozen eggs, and a bag of bean sprouts and that was my meals for 6 days a week for less than $10

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok all. I need some advice. So I made a big batch of chicken mole, but messed up a bit. It is a little too spicy, and thats coming from me. I like spicy but this is a bit over the cusp. I know that acid can tone it down and added some agave and lime juice, alas it did quite little to that heat.

I know dairy does wonders with heat, so I was seeking what type of dairy would would guys says to go with this meal: Chicken mole, simple white rice, homemade corn tortillas, and a simple salad of greens with a light citrus vinegaritte?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ok all. I need some advice. So I made a big batch of chicken mole, but messed up a bit. It is a little too spicy, and thats coming from me. I like spicy but this is a bit over the cusp. I know that acid can tone it down and added some agave and lime juice, alas it did quite little to that heat.

I know dairy does wonders with heat, so I was seeking what type of dairy would would guys says to go with this meal: Chicken mole, simple white rice, homemade corn tortillas, and a simple salad of greens with a light citrus vinegaritte?

Yogurt or creme fraiche are my go-tos when something is a butthole destroyer.

• Options
    I agree - yoghurt would work well in a mole, I expect. It's hard to remove heat from a recipe without dilution. Usually when I fuck up that way, I make a bunch of milder dishes over the next few days and then just stretch out the original meal by using little bits of it in other things.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

If you're not a purist then cheap store ramen is a good quick pasta to keep and depending on your spice rack / condiment shelf then you can kinda just go wild. Hell just plain ramen (salt the water!!!) And a little bit of low sodium stock with some salt pepper and garlic powder is, like, something to eat that's usually different and reasonably tasty

when I was in college, I'd buy a box of ramen, 2 napa cabbages, a couple onions, a dozen eggs, and a bag of bean sprouts and that was my meals for 6 days a week for less than $10

So you used the ramen to ... make ramen? boring

This discussion has been closed.