As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My carnitas came out kinda soupy but whatever. I poured my rice into the leftover stock and drippings and mixed in garlic, cumin and chili powder and let it soak up all the juices before I added my water. I'm excite.

• Options
    Also if anybody wants a recipe for slow cooker teriyaki pulled chicken I got a good one I make pretty much every week for quick, delicious protein.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yes please for the chicken recipe

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    The heck is “French-style meat”?

I believe in Cuban cooking it's called "lengua."

This is very good.

• Options
    Yes please for the chicken recipe

All my measurements will be in America just FYI
    2lbs chicken breast

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce

1/3 cup rice vinegar

1/3 cup honey (raw or organic is probably the best)

1/3 cup chopped red onion

1/8 cup red chili pepper sauce. I use sweet Thai chili pepper sauce because that's what I can find

1 tbsp of garlic

Throw everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4. I personally think cooking on high yields juicier chicken.

Once cooking is done move the chicken to a bowl and shred it. Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a skillet and bring to a simmer at medium to medium high heat. Mix in a cornstarch/water mix or arrowroot/water mix and stir until it starts to thicken up. Transfer everything back to the slow cooker for another 20 or 30 minutes.

You can garnish it with sesame seeds or green onions. Serves well with rice but I usually just put it in a tortilla with a cabbage blend for a wrap.

Serves 8.

Rough macros for a serving are:

2g Fat

17g carbs

28g protein

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, you ever just forget about a recipe for five years and then rediscover it and wonder why you ever stopped making it? I've been making frittatas this week, and it turns out they still rule. And since the roads are apparently just iced up forever, I've had time to really caramelize the onions before adding the bell peppers and mushrooms.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok guys. I am in bed of some advice.

I need a new thing for lunch that is the following:
    - no need to warm up
    - make night before friendly
    - easy and cheap
    - filling but higher protein, low/no sugar

Is there such a thing as savory make ahead oats? I have been having overnight oats for a while now. Usual thing is bottom layer of berries then topped with a mixture of oats, chia, flax, almond milk, Greek yogurt, and peanut butter. Then topped with peanuts.

I know people say have last night leftovers but a lot of my leftovers require reheating.

I know it's kind of broad, but my pallet is quite wide, just want a bit of advice/direction. Thanks.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    vietnamese vermicelli salad bowls would be one easy example I can think of - meant to be eaten cold, so no reheating, decent mix of protein and veggies etc.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    My carnitas came out kinda soupy but whatever. I poured my rice into the leftover stock and drippings and mixed in garlic, cumin and chili powder and let it soak up all the juices before I added my water. I'm excite.

Well?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    quinoa salad bowl with various fruits and veggies, already dressed and then just need some kind of protein that works well cold (chicken, tuna/salmon packets, etc).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

Well?

They're OK! Not as flavorful as I was expecting but oh well. Still taste.

Also, yeah tuna is cheap, can be eaten cold and is all protein. Make a salad, make a sandwich, eat it straight from the can. Whatever.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    No dambit, the rice!

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    No dambit, the rice!

That's actually what I was talking about I think I just phrased it weird?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    You have to taste each grain individually to really get the nuance, it just makes sense.

Peen on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Apparently canned mackerel is as good or tastier than canned tuna, is way more sustainable, and doesn't have the same mercury concerns.

I've not tried it but thought I'd mention. I fucking love canned tuna but don't eat it more than a few times a year because of those latter two points so I should see if I can source some mackerel...

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »
    Apparently canned mackerel is as good or tastier than canned tuna, is way more sustainable, and doesn't have the same mercury concerns.

I've not tried it but thought I'd mention. I fucking love canned tuna but don't eat it more than a few times a year because of those latter two points so I should see if I can source some mackerel...

Canned Mackerel and canned Sardines are both great. A little more oily than tuna, and some people find them fishier but I think that's smell more than taste.

I highly recommend both. Especially if you can find of Nuri cans.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Canned sardines I do definitely like, they're great on avocado toast with some lemon juice.

• Options
    Yeah fish is a conundrum. Love me some salmon and tuna but I try to only buy stuff that is like, verified sustainable. That stuff is usually hells of pricey though so I just end up never buying fish. I try to supplement fish oil capsules to make up for it.

Also, I'll be good and goddamned if I'm gonna eat tilapia. I have never been able to make tilapia taste good unless it's fucking got like, a 2 to 1 batter ratio and is deep fried as fuck.

• Options
    I have had exactly one preparation of tilapia that I thought was genuinely tasty, and it's ceviche.

• Options
    My one experience convinced me that cheap canned mackerel is fucking trash, I got exactly one can of it assuming that it'd be basically the same thing as tuna but cheaper and boy was I mistaken. It smelled like the worst cheap cat food, I couldn't figure out what to do with it and couldn't bring myself to eat it.

So, ya know, caveat emptor and all!

• Options
    I really enjoy tilapia, to me it's like a slightly milder catfish.

• Options
    I always wonder if there is something wrong with my taste buds because of how much people seem to hate fish.

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I think a lot of people are only exposed to middling to bad fish growing up and it gets imprinted on them that "fish == bad."

I would also say that of all the meats, fish has both the largest failure space and the worst consequences for fucking it up. Overcooked beef sucks, overcooked fish will make your entire home smell like a corpse. So people have a bad experience or two and just write it off forever.

edit: Plus, if you're not in a coastal area, you can't get seafood at all, and unless there's a big body of water with an actual fishing industry nearby, you may not even be able to get good freshwater fish. So the fish you get is either old and shitty or $Alberta (plus, fish in general tends to be pricy).

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    I'm making gyros with some leftover slow cooked lamb and in a fit of inspiration I threw in some preserved lemon mash when I popped the meat on the griddle to crisp

frigging heck this tastes amazing.

090rmy6tvbam.jpg

• Options
    Holy shit these carnitas are amazing.

The rice on its own was OK but mixed with the pork hachi fuckin machi

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jugg no you can't just summon Haechi like that or he'll eat all your carnitas.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Oh go no now you’ve done it here he comes oh god somebody help

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    xcQAA9dh.jpg

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    FUCKIN PERFECT

AWW YUSSS

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Lookit dat face.

How big a smile would a warm taco give that face.

• Options
    I have purchased the Cooking Illustrated 1993 collection, who's ready to go on a journey.

I like to ART
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    My one experience convinced me that cheap canned mackerel is fucking trash, I got exactly one can of it assuming that it'd be basically the same thing as tuna but cheaper and boy was I mistaken. It smelled like the worst cheap cat food, I couldn't figure out what to do with it and couldn't bring myself to eat it.
    But that's how canned tuna smells, and tastes. I'm pretty exploratory with food and happy to try lots of different things, and even revisit disliked foods every few years to check if my tastes have changed, but canned tuna is the one thing I cannot stand even the idea of eating.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Just to...throw this out there. When I was in Dutch Harbor, I went into a tuna cannery to talk to some people about freezer truck logistics, and while I was in there I couldn't help but notice their production line was sending the same chunk tuna into cans for both human consumption and cat food. So if you want to buy tuna that isn't cat food, buy albacore. If it doesn't bother you that you're eating the same tuna as cats (it shouldn't honestly, tuna is fuckin' tuna) keep buying your chunk tuna. Just, whatever you do, buy it packed in water and not oil.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I can't eat store bought Tuna anymore after being able to get it fresh off the boat and canned at home. It is night and day, and so good. We would give them away at Christmas as white elephant gifts and they would be fought over. So fucking good.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Also just like, don’t buy any tuna because the fish stock is collapsing (has collapsed?)

Great me if I’m a big dummy and there is some species that is sustainable, but I know the vast majority of tuna is turbo fucked

(I fucking love canned tuna)

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    But that's how canned tuna smells, and tastes. I'm pretty exploratory with food and happy to try lots of different things, and even revisit disliked foods every few years to check if my tastes have changed, but canned tuna is the one thing I cannot stand even the idea of eating.

I'm sure that's true but canned tuna is grandfathered into my tastes because I grew up eating it. I'm not saying all canned mackerel is bad, just that quality may depend on price and also be prepared for a major fish explosion when you open the can.

Also yeah maybe don't buy canned tuna at all, commercial fishing isn't great!

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    Also just like, don’t buy any tuna because the fish stock is collapsing (has collapsed?)

Great me if I’m a big dummy and there is some species that is sustainable, but I know the vast majority of tuna is turbo fucked

Its fucked, and 'sustainable' labelling laws are also fucked, they mean dick shit. there are very few fish you can buy without contributing to massive global ecosystem collapse

(Tilapia may be ok, I haven't checked recently).

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »

Its fucked, and 'sustainable' labelling laws are also fucked, they mean dick shit. there are very few fish you can buy without contributing to massive global ecosystem collapse

(Tilapia may be ok, I haven't checked recently).

catfish is probably ok

• Options
    This is as far as I know the best resource for checking different fish: https://www.seafoodwatch.org/

I like to ART
  • Options
    Catfish and tilapia are basically the fish version of rabbits, they eat anything and spawn like crazy, they're very sustainable.

This discussion has been closed.