As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    This... this might actually get me to eat store ramen again.
    (I haven't wanted/been able to since the summer back in college when I had to live on the stuff. Good way to lose some weight and acquire some vitamin deficiencies.)

If you're not a purist then cheap store ramen is a good quick pasta to keep and depending on your spice rack / condiment shelf then you can kinda just go wild. Hell just plain ramen (salt the water!!!) And a little bit of low sodium stock with some salt pepper and garlic powder is, like, something to eat that's usually different and reasonably tasty

when I was in college, I'd buy a box of ramen, 2 napa cabbages, a couple onions, a dozen eggs, and a bag of bean sprouts and that was my meals for 6 days a week for less than $10

So you used the ramen to ... make ramen? boring

it was all I could afford!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    This... this might actually get me to eat store ramen again.
    (I haven't wanted/been able to since the summer back in college when I had to live on the stuff. Good way to lose some weight and acquire some vitamin deficiencies.)

If you're not a purist then cheap store ramen is a good quick pasta to keep and depending on your spice rack / condiment shelf then you can kinda just go wild. Hell just plain ramen (salt the water!!!) And a little bit of low sodium stock with some salt pepper and garlic powder is, like, something to eat that's usually different and reasonably tasty

when I was in college, I'd buy a box of ramen, 2 napa cabbages, a couple onions, a dozen eggs, and a bag of bean sprouts and that was my meals for 6 days a week for less than $10

So you used the ramen to ... make ramen? boring

it was all I could afford!

See, I did that without the cabbages. Or the onions, or the eggs, or the sprouts.

It was a bad time.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Made myself a sausage breakfast sandwich for lunch. I think I made the best fried egg yet in my cast iron. Got it nice and hot, cracked the egg into the pan then turned down to simmer. Egg cooked nicely, I was able to flip it without any issues and it just slid right out of the pan. It feels like magic.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    The children are nicely getting on with their home schooling so I've managed to shell a kilo of crevettes, make stock with the shells and also make a small batch of curry base to have a go at a vegetable curry of some sort tomorrow.

• Options
    I made some damn good shrimp chowdah last night

but it wasn't thick enough and I had no corn starch. Tonight I'm going to make homemade garlic bread to go with it by crushing a few cloves of garlic and simmering them a bit in evoo and butter and drizzling it over french bread and sprinkling over basil and grated asaigo

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    ah you mean shau-dair

• Options
  • Options
    IT'S CHOWDAH

wow I didn't know you had the evil gene

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    The children are nicely getting on with their home schooling so I've managed to shell a kilo of crevettes, make stock with the shells and also make a small batch of curry base to have a go at a vegetable curry of some sort tomorrow.

Made the Shrimp Etouffee from Notes From a Young Black Chef, crevettes were tasty but I thought the sauce lacked a bit of something - maybe needed a bit of acid.

Won't be arsed to shell and devein that many prawn-type objects for a long time (did you know some species have TWO digestive tracts to remove? joy).

Wonder if crickets need deveining...

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    IT'S CHOWDAH

wow I didn't know you had the evil gene

u fukkin wot m8

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Man I want an air fryer real bad but I know if I get one I'm gonna shell out for an XL but I don't wanna drop $150 right now.

That said, I'm already trying to come up with a good, reasonably healthy "fried" chicken wing recipe.

I'm thinking just a basic overnight brine, then a light coating of avo oil and then a low cal ranch seasoning to toss? I love ranch rub fried wings and knowing I could possibly make them at home whenever I wanted?

Such power.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Man I want an air fryer real bad but I know if I get one I'm gonna shell out for an XL but I don't wanna drop $150 right now.

That said, I'm already trying to come up with a good, reasonably healthy "fried" chicken wing recipe.

I'm thinking just a basic overnight brine, then a light coating of avo oil and then a low cal ranch seasoning to toss? I love ranch rub fried wings and knowing I could possibly make them at home whenever I wanted?

Such power.

Kenji Lopez-Alt with the science:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

Sohla El-Waylly with the flavour:
    https://youtu.be/oiqg8d9N6Lo

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I am attempting making naan

the recipe called for way less water than it should have imho (5 cups flour 1cup plus 3 table spoons water "plus extra if dough is too dry"... why didn't you just write about 2 cups then??)

that dough gave me a workout. oof. my arm is gonna be sore.

I'm actually worried I overworked it a little. the flour just wasn't coming together for me until I added way more water so the dough is super stiff I think I built up plenty of gluten going at it for like ten to fifteen full minutes. good thing I found my ap flour I guess. hopefully if I give it plenty of time to rise the gluten will relax enough that it'll be nice and workable soft and not tear so much.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm making broth for pho
    I'm only about halfway through the process and already it's amazing.

• Options
    would you say it's pho-nominal?

• Options
    Dough was definitely overworked and underhydrated but it still turned out really nice on my cast iron skillet today.
    0eww331eytzp.jpg

Could be a little softer and airier.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Such power.

Kenji Lopez-Alt with the science:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

Sohla El-Waylly with the flavour:
    https://youtu.be/oiqg8d9N6Lo

I'm trying the pomegranate sauce today!
    I'm also going to do a more traditional nuclear fire deal.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Dough was definitely overworked and underhydrated but it still turned out really nice on my cast iron skillet today.
    0eww331eytzp.jpg

Could be a little softer and airier.

Try adding some plain yoghurt

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Such power.

I did then recently in our air fryer, overbought buttermilk brine with salt, then sprayed with just a bit of olive oil spray and tossed with garlic and onion powder and some cyanne and tossed in some panko, 375 for 25 minutes and they were really good

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Such power.

If your oven has a convection setting it's basically the same thing

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Such power.

If your oven has a convection setting it's basically the same thing

The big thing about an air fryer or convection toaster oven is the smaller volume. With less air to heat up and maintain it gets up to temp WAY faster and uses a lot less electricity to run. For 1-2 (or maybe 3) people an air fryer/convection toaster oven is a big winner in my opinion. My air fryer is at 300f in 3 minutes, and 400 in four. Its great.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Instant pot sells a few models that come with both a pressure cooker lid and an air fryer lid and it's just about the best and most versatile countertop investment you can make.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I made french-style meat for the first time tonight for us and it was delicious. Came out really good.

• Options
    The juggernut is broke right now so meal prep for the next week or so I think is gonna be slow cooker pork carnitas with rice and black beans. I may do chicken instead. I dunno if I wanna do the fat of pork, but I can probably get more pork butt for my pork buck than chicken.

I'm definitely doing another big batch of pulled chicken with some flour tortillas and some kinda veg for quick wraps.

Budget meal prepping is a fuckin science.

I also might try French onion Ramen soup which is something I learned about from watching Mythical Kitchen on YouTube and it uh... it looks delicious.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The heck is “French-style meat”?

• Options
    Beef you stare disappointedly at while smoking an unfiltered cigarette.

• Options
    "boeuf".

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I also might try French onion Ramen soup which is something I learned about from watching Mythical Kitchen on YouTube and it uh... it looks delicious.

Have made, can confirm

• Options

But one of the more peasant versions that doesn't use mushrooms because ew gross.

• Options
    I let my remaining naan dough come to room temperature then spritzed it with water before putting it in the pan and covering with a lid for a moment this time. It inflated a lot more and improved the texture dramatically. Also 2 days in the fridge helped the flavor. Less flourery.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I believe in Cuban cooking it's called "lengua."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Basically take your baking dish, layer the bottom with sliced potatoes, layer on top of that seasoned tenderized pork, layer on top of that salted onions, then finally a mix of mozzarella/sour cream/plain yogurt topped with paprika. Bake.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The juggernut is broke right now so meal prep for the next week or so I think is gonna be slow cooker pork carnitas with rice and black beans. I may do chicken instead. I dunno if I wanna do the fat of pork, but I can probably get more pork butt for my pork buck than chicken.

I'm definitely doing another big batch of pulled chicken with some flour tortillas and some kinda veg for quick wraps.

Budget meal prepping is a fuckin science.

JKLA showed in a video recently how to make amazing green chile in a pressure cooker (or instant pot) using like 5 ingredients. Tomatillos, onions, chicken, garlic and jalapenos. I have no idea if you can get tomatillos in your area, though, so this might not be feasible for you to make.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

I believe in Cuban cooking it's called "lengua."

this one took me a minute

• Options
    These carnitas smell good boy damn they smell goood d'ya here me?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    These carnitas smell good boy damn they smell goood d'ya here me?

carnitas is weird because the recipes I've seen all seemingly violate a lot of basic rules of cooking meat, but it somehow loops back around in the last thirty minutes of cooking and becomes insanely tasty

in other news I rubbed molasses, mustard and salt all over a brisket and it's gonna spend the next five hours getting delicious

• Options
    flank steak tacoooooooooooooos

34xByQbh.jpg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hell yeah, those look rad!

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.