As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »
    There's actually a lot of really sustainable fish, those just aren't the ones humans like to eat.

Sometimes all you need to pique interest is a name change. That's why dolphinfish is known outside of South Florida as "mahi mahi" and the toothfish is marketed as "Chilean Sea Bass."

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife braved the snow to get us a ton of veggies and stuff from the store. Gonna cook up some chicken noodle this week, and some catchatore

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Anybody got a good recipe for crock pot chili?

Light on the beans please I'm not a huge fan of high bean content chili.

Also I got one of those big crock pots not a little one.

This is a favorite of mine. As written it's a little bean-heavy, but you can easily cut half the beans and replace them with another pound of beef/chorizo if you want to lean more on the meat, it's good that way too. This one is nice because it tastes nice and spicy, but it's all smoke and very little fire; even my spice-phobic ex-wife could enjoy this recipe without getting heartburn.
    Smoky Black Bean Chili

1 lb ground beef
    ½ lb chorizo
    1 onion, diced
    1 bell pepper, diced
    3 garlic cloves minced (or 2 tbsp garlic powder)
    2 cans black beans
    2 cans pinto/red beans
    18 oz canned diced tomatoes
    6 oz tomato paste
    1 4oz can green chiles
    1 can of dark beer (not too hoppy)
    3 tbsp Ancho chile powder
    2 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp yellow mustard
    A few heavy dashes of liquid smoke

Brown and drain the meat, combine ingredients and cook in slow cooker, 2 hours on high then 4-6 more hours on low

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Thai jungle curry.

Somewhere I have the ChinChin jungle curry recipe written down and it used to be my favourite winter warmer meal. I should find it again, I'll post it in here if I can. (It relies heavily on their so-called bandit sauce, which is a real sinus clearer)

I usually make it with regular thai red curry paste, but that sounds good too. My brother in law is Thai and I got some curry paste that his mum made. Hooly dooly does it pack a punch.

I made my own green curry paste for the green curry I'm cooking today and thankfully before I stemmed 50 grams of tiny thai chiles I said to myself, "you should put on nitrile gloves."

Stuff is a super spicy flavour bomb so I have high hopes for the end product.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Chorizo is one of those things I don't really allow myself to have because I will eat chorizo until someone is forced to come along and physically restrain me for both the well being of myself and those around me.

I love chorizo.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Thai jungle curry.

Somewhere I have the ChinChin jungle curry recipe written down and it used to be my favourite winter warmer meal. I should find it again, I'll post it in here if I can. (It relies heavily on their so-called bandit sauce, which is a real sinus clearer)

I usually make it with regular thai red curry paste, but that sounds good too. My brother in law is Thai and I got some curry paste that his mum made. Hooly dooly does it pack a punch.

I made my own green curry paste for the green curry I'm cooking today and thankfully before I stemmed 50 grams of tiny thai chiles I said to myself, "you should put on nitrile gloves."

I never wear gloves when cutting up chilies.. this is not a boast, it's me being an idiot. Usually I wash my hands good afterwards, but I catch myself out sometimes.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Chorizo is one of those things I don't really allow myself to have because I will eat chorizo until someone is forced to come along and physically restrain me for both the well being of myself and those around me.

I love chorizo.

You should try Spanish chorizo. It's like Mexican chorizo and pepperoni got really sloppy together.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    My Valentines menu(if you've been to melting pot you know what's up)
    Cheese Fondue starter: Gruyere & Emmental, Chardonnay, garlic, nutmeg. Carrots, Broccoli, Grapes, Baguette, and Old Bay Cheese Bread for dipping.
    KQunJYa.jpg

Coq Au Vin hot pot main: Vegetable stock, Cabernet Sauvignon, garlic, green onion. Mushrooms and potato added to be eaten. Proteins: Sirloin Steak two ways, marinated in soy sauce/olive oil/lemon juice/worcestershire/garlic/spices and simple dry rub of black pepper/garlic powder/white truffle salt, Shrimp marinated in olive oil/lemon juice/tomato paste/parsley/oregano, Chicken dry rubbed with smoked paprika/cumin/chili powder/lemon salt/black pepper/garlic powder, Lobster tail, and cheese tortellini.
    IApgEEB.jpg

Chocolate Fondue dessert: Heavy cream, 60% dark chocolate, butter, Triple Sec. Homemade brownies and blondies, strawberries, bananas, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, pineapple, marshmallows.
    7Zr0tXa.jpg

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Thai jungle curry.

I never wear gloves when cutting up chilies.. this is not a boast, it's me being an idiot. Usually I wash my hands good afterwards, but I catch myself out sometimes.

Same. It's usually fine, but one time I chopped a large amount of chillies in one go for a fermented chilli garlic sauce my hands did burn mildly for a few days afterwards.
    Still ended up being 100% worth it balanced up against how incredible the sauce turned out though, so no regerts.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I usually don't bother for like 1-6 chiles - I didn't bother when I made queso the other week with several poblanos and jalapenos - but yeah I was eyeballing these tiny fuckers and sampled one and fortunately thought, "if you plan to touch any part of yourself or your dog with these hands later..." and got out the gloves.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My friends that own the meadery used to have another place out in the sticks right next to this little Columbian pizza joint. The pizza was good but they had this crushed plantain dish that was transcendent.

It was covered in pork belly and chorizo with potato chunks and half an avo on the top. You could also just order whole chorizo sausages on the side and oh man I miss that place so much.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I brought up the idea of ice cream floats, and my gf said she doesn't like them. Following my quick bout of incredulity, she clarified she actually doesnt like root beer. So I got a bottle of fanta. She likes ice cream floats.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Other floats are good, yes, but "doesn't like root beer"?!? I can't awesome that. :(

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Other floats are good, yes, but "doesn't like root beer"?!? I can't awesome that. :(

There's so many different kinds of root beer that I can totally see not liking "Root Beer". There's plenty of root beer I find detestable, and if you've only had ones you don't like, there's not much incentive to keep trying.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    My friends that own the meadery used to have another place out in the sticks right next to this little Columbian pizza joint. The pizza was good but they had this crushed plantain dish that was transcendent.

It was covered in pork belly and chorizo with potato chunks and half an avo on the top. You could also just order whole chorizo sausages on the side and oh man I miss that place so much.

Meadery eh?

I like mead. The local meadery is kinda pricey though. At least the bottles are. The draughts they sell to the local liquor stores aren't to bad for a growler fill. (Like 20 for a 32oz of my favorite one which is a blueberry basil hudromel)

Their bottles are 375ml though and cost like 30 bucks...

• Options
    If the only root beer you've had is Barq's, it is understandable you wouldn't like root beer. That shit isn't supposed to be as acidic as Fresca! A good root beer should be smooth, but still carbonated. I'm a huge fan of Henry Weinhard's, but Dad's is perfectly fine.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    for root beer float purposes, I haven't found a better root beer than A&W

for general quaffing, it's Foxon Park all the way

• Options
    Best root beer is either Sprecher or Virgil's. Maybe Sioux City sasspirilla.

• Options
    Also, for a real trip, try a cream soda float with different kinds of ice cream or sherbet. As a kid one of my favorites was strawbrerry sherbet with cream soda. Just thinking about it gives me a toothache.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    God I want a bottle of Sprecher root beer

Warning. Sprecher bottles and sells their syrup so if you have access to fizzy water or good swing top bottles and some bakers yeast... Well...

Apparently bottle conditioning won't work with it for some reason. Probably some stabilizer in the syrup. But you can just add it to 4 parts fizzy water...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    I like most root beers, including Barq's, which is kind of its own thing. My more traditional favorite would definitely be A&W. Weinhard's, Virgil's and Sioux City are all excellent, though drinking them regularly isn't practical for me.
    Not a big fan of Dad's, as I find the wintergreen a bit too strong in the mix.
    The only one I can't stand is Mug, which - as befits a Pepsi brand - strikes me as simultaneously weak/watery and cloyingly sweet, barely tolerable when cold and undrinkable at room temperature.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I like most root beers, including Barq's, which is kind of its own thing. My more traditional favorite would definitely be A&W. Weinhard's, Virgil's and Sioux City are all excellent, though drinking them regularly isn't practical for me.
    Not a big fan of Dad's, as I find the wintergreen a bit too strong in the mix.
    The only one I can't stand is Mug, which - as befits a Pepsi brand - strikes me as simultaneously weak/watery and cloyingly sweet, barely tolerable when cold and undrinkable at room temperature.

Yea true A&W is the best for floats, and mug is trash. I love Barqs too, its just such a completely different flavor while still calling back to the root beer roots. It's also GREAT for jigger shots with a warm sweet whiskey. For just drinking it's either Virgil's or Dad's, depending on the mood I'm in. I won't turn down a Weinhard's or Steel Head Brewery though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Folks from a lot of different parts of the world find root beer very difficult to drink. Everyone in my wife's family, who all came to the US from India, refuses to drink root beer because it reminds them of flavorings used for medicine in India. I got her to try a few different varieties years ago, but my wife won't even taste a new one now. It's a shame since our kids love root beer and we have some around the house more often than not lately.

https://youtu.be/tFRXVXhcksc

This video of Irish people trying different root beers is pretty similar to my wife's reactions to tasting root beer. Funnily enough, the only brand they can even tolerate in this video is Barq's.

Ketar on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I don't like root beer, but a good ginger beer is a delight.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Giant Foods stores in my area have started carrying Bundaberg products and while their root beer is only OK I really like their ginger beer. Less bitey than Fever Tree.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Folks from a lot of different parts of the world find root beer very difficult to drink. Everyone in my wife's family, who all came to the US from India, refuses to drink root beer because it reminds them of flavorings used for medicine in India. I got her to try a few different varieties years ago, but my wife won't even taste a new one now. It's a shame since our kids love root beer and we have some around the house more often than not lately.

https://youtu.be/tFRXVXhcksc

This video of Irish people trying different root beers is pretty similar to my wife's reactions to tasting root beer. Funnily enough, the only brand they can even tolerate in this video is Barq's.

Wow, no Dog n Suds?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a soda but I really want a root beer right now.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    It's been a while since I last tried MUG, and in the interest of fairness, letting go of old prejudices and/or putting my money where my mouth is, I got a small bottle when I went out for groceries just now.
    It's... okay? Maybe 'cause it's chilled, per above.
    I will cautiously upgrade it to "okay", about store-brand level, and might consider it if it's the only option offered.

• Options
    Has anyone in here ever tried Green River? Its an interesting soda to be sure

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

I know I've had it, but I can't recall the taste. That's pretty telling, I usually am pretty good about remembering how something tastes. So my guess is it's pretty inoffensive and unremarkable?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I like root beer quite a bit but also can barely tell the difference between brands. A&W, Virgil's, even Mug all taste good to me and I don't really have a preference one way or the other. Don't remember the last time I had Barq's so can't comment there.

The only one I distinctly didn't like was Bundaberg, which is also the most overpriced one so it's an easy avoid.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    As penance for my part in this thread derail, I will now ask:
    Has anyone here made their own soda(s)? Or have preferred blends from Coke Freestyle vending machines (and others of that ilk)?
    (I'll even allow "own a SodaStream".)

Something I've considered now and then, 'cause I'm a fan of blackberry flavor and that's hard to find (Bubly doesn't count, I like it sweet), is getting some syrup and making my own "Italian" sodas.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    My go to drink at home is either soda water with a splash of grapefruit juice, or soda water with a shake of bitters.

I haven't messed around with syrups but I know a few pregnant ladies that swear by them for a less sweet fizzy drink.

I've also made ginger beer before with is pretty great but very sugary.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I know I've had it, but I can't recall the taste. That's pretty telling, I usually am pretty good about remembering how something tastes. So my guess is it's pretty inoffensive and unremarkable?

Its a slight lime flavor that I can only really explain as 'green'

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Its a slight lime flavor that I can only really explain as 'green'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQAG0JEb718

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    My go to drink at home is either soda water with a splash of grapefruit juice, or soda water with a shake of bitters.

I haven't messed around with syrups but I know a few pregnant ladies that swear by them for a less sweet fizzy drink.

Usually when I make ginger beer it ends up pretty dry, but also very alcoholic.
    ... probably I should be paying more attention.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Usually when I make ginger beer it ends up pretty dry, but also very alcoholic.
    ... probably I should be paying more attention.

Those two things are very directly related.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

My sum total of experience with Green River is being at PAX East and hearing Jerry (on stage, during a Q&A) tell the story of the time he explosively shit himself while driving (which involved Green River).

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    for root beer float purposes, I haven't found a better root beer than A&W

for general quaffing, it's Foxon Park all the way

I realize it's very midwest regional, but Dog N Suds root beer is by far and away the best root beer there is. They used to only sell the root beer directly from the restaurants in gallon milk jugs (I think there's some minor bottle distribution these days).

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

But of course. All of the grocery stores around here will be doing big displays of Green River next month for St. Patrick's Day, and I'll grab a bottle for my kids (I don't really drink soda anymore, or it would be for me too).

This discussion has been closed.