As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    My old man is also a bit of a fussy eater. New things are scary but he is very proud of himself when he orders something like linguine and clam sauce. It's mostly because his parents were awwwwwful cooks. Like fucking horrid. Holidays with them were a trip when it came time for dinner. It got to the point that other family would just show up with Boston Market or something like that.

That said, he was out here visiting me in LA last year and we want to one of David Chang's places, Majordomo. I've been a number of times because it's one of my favorites but it's not exactly full of food that he'd dig on. I fully expected for him to get the short ribs and grumble a bit about the spices or flavoring. Instead the dude pulls a move and ended up getting the skate with sichuan peppers and roe....and loved it. "When would I ever be able to get something like this again? ...and why are my lips numb?"

Alright, man, good job.

Then Thanksgiving rolls around and "the turkey is a bit too juicy.

...dammit, dude.

I agree on the turkey, at least the breast meat. I like a slightly drier breast absolutely drowned in gravy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Turkey cannot be too juicy.

JFC...

f1k2412poqav.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »
    My old man is also a bit of a fussy eater. New things are scary but he is very proud of himself when he orders something like linguine and clam sauce. It's mostly because his parents were awwwwwful cooks. Like fucking horrid. Holidays with them were a trip when it came time for dinner. It got to the point that other family would just show up with Boston Market or something like that.

That said, he was out here visiting me in LA last year and we want to one of David Chang's places, Majordomo. I've been a number of times because it's one of my favorites but it's not exactly full of food that he'd dig on. I fully expected for him to get the short ribs and grumble a bit about the spices or flavoring. Instead the dude pulls a move and ended up getting the skate with sichuan peppers and roe....and loved it. "When would I ever be able to get something like this again? ...and why are my lips numb?"

Alright, man, good job.

...dammit, dude.

I agree on the turkey, at least the breast meat. I like a slightly drier breast absolutely drowned in gravy.

welp. I guess I knew this thread would always end in a blood war, somehow.

tynic on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    tynic wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

Alright, man, good job.

...dammit, dude.

welp. I guess I knew this thread would always end in a blood war, somehow.

It was inevitable.

Now i want a turkey & stuffing sandwich smothered in gravy.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    my parents grew up in the depression and love canned everything and I hate it

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Reminds me of my grandma serving icecream and canned peaches with whipped cream. I hate canned peaches so much, but not as much as I hate canned pears.
    Military service made me realize how much I have almost every form of canned meat. Unless it's swedish pea soup. It has tiny pieces of long-cooked pork in it...but it's delicious. Even out of a can.

Canned tomatoes are fine though if you're making a stew/pasta sauce.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Oh man, I love tinned fruit. There’s not a tinned fruit I don’t enjoy!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Yeah I guess I should say "grew up in the tail end of the depression" because they're not quite that old, but they grew up on a farm and the depression was still going on well into the 40s for them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »

The blood war. It begins.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »

The blood war. It begins.

As much as I love a good blood war, why not simply send me all of your tinned fruits! Out tinned tomatoes are of a high quality, I can send you some of those in return

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Yeah this is my dad. Hes gotten better as hes gotten older, but like, his "Chili" recipe, which I do love, isn't chili. Its a depression era bean and tomato juice soup with some meat and a bunch of chili powder in it. Hes fancied it up over the years but its a recipe his parents made when they were raising the kids in the mid 30's then, even when the depression was over, kept making it into the 40's and 50's because they had 8 kids.

Honestly the history of recipes and food like this really interests me and if I were to ever write a book, this would be what its about.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So I forgot. My wife, yanno the one, the picky eater. She’s also an Anti-Food toucher. No foods on her plate can touch. And she basically eats one thing at a time. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy with green beans. All segmented in their own spot on her plate. She’ll eat her Mashed potatoes and gravy first, then beans, then meatloaf. I mean, she’s missing out on the Meatloaf bite with mashed taters and gravy all in one! Tastes wonderful! Oh the gravy is usually mushroom gravy she makes. She does make a wonderful meatloaf!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    So I forgot. My wife, yanno the one, the picky eater. She’s also an Anti-Food toucher. No foods on her plate can touch. And she basically eats one thing at a time. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy with green beans. All segmented in their own spot on her plate. She’ll eat her Mashed potatoes and gravy first, then beans, then meatloaf. I mean, she’s missing out on the Meatloaf bite with mashed taters and gravy all in one! Tastes wonderful! Oh the gravy is usually mushroom gravy she makes. She does make a wonderful meatloaf!

Do we have the same wife?

Oh wait no you said she eats meatloaf and green beans and gravy.

• Options

When my mom and her five siblings were growing up, there was a dish that their mom would make that was canned pear halves topped with Miracle Whip and shredded cheese. Thusly:
    0antl82otoqb.png

All the kids hated it, but they grew up in a house where you weren't allowed to complain about the food, and so they didn't. This didn't come up until I was in middle school, and they all got kind of tipsy and ornery at family Christmas and finally asked why she persisted in making those foul mayo pears.

And it turns out she had no idea that nobody liked them. She got the recipe out of a magazine that convinced her it was the kind of food that fancy Southern ladies ate, and so whenever she could wedge it into the food budget she'd make it as a fancy treat for everyone.

And the thought of my poor little Nan happily assembling canned pear monstrosities with Miracle Whip and government cheese on her horrible New Mexico caliche farm because she thought it would be nice to class the joint up for her kids makes me want to ugly cry every time I think about it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh my god
    Jedoc wrote: »
    the kind of food that fancy Southern ladies ate

why does this make it even MORE sad holy shit

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Boy, that...I'm just real sad now. Like actually.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

When my mom and her five siblings were growing up, there was a dish that their mom would make that was canned pear halves topped with Miracle Whip and shredded cheese. Thusly:
    0antl82otoqb.png

All the kids hated it, but they grew up in a house where you weren't allowed to complain about the food, and so they didn't. This didn't come up until I was in middle school, and they all got kind of tipsy and ornery at family Christmas and finally asked why she persisted in making those foul mayo pears.

And it turns out she had no idea that nobody liked them. She got the recipe out of a magazine that convinced her it was the kind of food that fancy Southern ladies ate, and so whenever she could wedge it into the food budget she'd make it as a fancy treat for everyone.

And the thought of my poor little Nan happily assembling canned pear monstrosities with Miracle Whip and government cheese on her horrible New Mexico caliche farm because she thought it would be nice to class the joint up for her kids makes me want to ugly cry every time I think about it.

oh my god I'm 8 years old again!

nooooooooooooooo!

god noooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Options
    Which is "You're not allowed to complain about the food" is a stupid policy. Both my parents grew up in families where it was the policy, and as such they were adamant that it would never be the policy in their house.

Everyone served themselves, and if you werent sure that you're going to like something you didn't put more than a bite on your plate. Try, and if you like it take more.
    We as kids also had an inofficial mental list of stuff that if the parents cooked it they made us something else (like fishsticks&dill sauce or meatballs w/gravy or something else child-friendly). Although we were all aware that the list wasn't allowed to get too long. When I was a kid Crayfish (except pre-rinsed shrimp), brusselsprouts, mackarel and aubergines were my no-no items. Those are still on my list of items I'd rather not eat. My first years at school added lasagna to the list (because the school lasagna was vile and I'm still traumatized enough that pasta+bechamel sauce makes me retch).

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

0antl82otoqb.png

Literally breaking my no forums rules to post on this. My mom did this/does this too! And we are hillbillies from north carolina so...aspirationally fancy southern lady indeed!
    As a kid I loved the salad with iceberg, pineapple, mayo (not a miracle whip house) and shredded cheddar.
    Famously on a visit with my now wife she served us this, and wanted to fancy it up with chili powder which...i kinda get. Now mind you I hadn't had this at all since I was a kid. And on top of that she didn't use chili powder, she used cayenne. Mom tries real hard but bless her heart improvisation is not her cooking forte. My wife is also a somewhat picky eater. No indian food, eats the buttered pasta and buttered rice, but will also eat my bbq. I have NEVER seen someone revert to childhood. That salad got hidden in her napkin, and my plate. I let her hang in the wind for a while before I just talked with mom about it and we all had a laugh. One of the worst things I've ever been served it was amazing.

• Options
    Which is "You're not allowed to complain about the food" is a stupid policy. Both my parents grew up in families where it was the policy, and as such they were adamant that it would never be the policy in their house.

Everyone served themselves, and if you werent sure that you're going to like something you didn't put more than a bite on your plate. Try, and if you like it take more.
    We as kids also had an inofficial mental list of stuff that if the parents cooked it they made us something else (like fishsticks&dill sauce or meatballs w/gravy or something else child-friendly). Although we were all aware that the list wasn't allowed to get too long. When I was a kid Crayfish (except pre-rinsed shrimp), brusselsprouts, mackarel and aubergines were my no-no items. Those are still on my list of items I'd rather not eat. My first years at school added lasagna to the list (because the school lasagna was vile and I'm still traumatized enough that pasta+bechamel sauce makes me retch).

Agreed. My granddad grew up in a family of Tom Joad-style migrant farmhands, so he had some real hangups about food and household discipline. It definitely did weird things to his kids, which they have since recovered from to one degree or another.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    this is why "just shut up and don't complain" backfires in regards to capitulating to authority.

Eventually you find out the authority didn't even want to do the thing either.

• Options
    In my house you were absolutely required to eat what was put in front of you.

The only time my brother staged a revolt was the time mum made stuffed capsicum (peppers I think Americans call them?) . They were the most hateful things I have ever eaten, and I would happily crunch raw capsicum for an after school snack.

My mum drowned these poor capsicums in olive oil and stuffed them with anchovies and roasted them until the capsicum went grey. That’s it. That’s the whole dish.

A grey, limp capsicum swimming in olive oil filled with anchovies. When she served it up I thought it was some kind of sick joke at first

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I got in trouble a lot for being sassy about my parents cooking something I didn't like, or adding something I didn't like into something I did like. Usually it was, "If you don't like it, you can go to bed hungry, like all the kids in Africa!" (in retrospect, HOLY SHIT) and so I often did. But I would also wait until they went to sleep and then climb up on the counter and eat some apple sauce or a bowl of cereal. When they caught on to what I was doing, they started omitting the shit I didn't like from what they were cooking and everything was fine.

Honestly, though, Dad, why in the fuck do you put water chestnuts and bean sprouts in fried rice? To this day I cannot stand either of those.

• Options
    My mom dumped me out the back door for complaining about her tuna casserole.

In retrospect, I was a pretty spoiled child and totally deserved it. It's a family joke now and I enjoy tuna casserole.

• Options
    My dad would sometimes make us eat chipped beef.

Except he used the name my grandfather called it, and this was later driven into him when in the military. Shit on a Shingle

• Options
  • Options
    The real cooking criminal is my wife aunt. Shes a literal millionaire and never cared for cooking, but now she buys everything in extreme bulk direct from the manufacturer when she can (her basement is a huge cellar full of more wine then she will ever be able to drink).

The thing is, she never really LEARNED how to cook, and only does so for large gatherings. But she buys in bulk, also gets ton of free stuff from the companies because she spends so much. She also refuses to throw anything out, so usually when she cooks its with expired ingredients and done very wrong. When she hosted Thanksgiving last year, the wife her parents and I went to McDonalds afterwards.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    The real cooking criminal is my wife aunt. Shes a literal millionaire and never cared for cooking, but now she buys everything in extreme bulk direct from the manufacturer when she can (her basement is a huge cellar full of more wine then she will ever be able to drink).

The thing is, she never really LEARNED how to cook, and only does so for large gatherings. But she buys in bulk, also gets ton of free stuff from the companies because she spends so much. She also refuses to throw anything out, so usually when she cooks its with expired ingredients and done very wrong. When she hosted Thanksgiving last year, the wife her parents and I went to McDonalds afterwards.

I bet she thinks that wine definitely gets better the longer it's stored in that cellar, too.

• Options
    Have y'all ever had someone add spaghetti water to the spaghetti after it was cooked, like you're making a pesto sauce, except dumping the water on the spaghetti and red sauce?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    It's pretty common to reserve a few tablespoons of starchy pasta water to add back, yeah

• Options
    Have y'all ever had someone add spaghetti water to the spaghetti after it was cooked, like you're making a pesto sauce, except dumping the water on the spaghetti and red sauce?

just the water?

or the water with other things to be used as a thickener because of all the leeched starch (or gluten)?

• Options
    no like

almost the whole thing back onto the spaghetti

• Options
    no like

What you are describing here would kill every Italian grandma I've ever met.

What Tynnan and Xaquin said would make them nod in approval and smile.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    no like

yeah the first one is just like, how you do it because of the starch and shit

the second one is a thing I've seen and heard happen because people are awful cooks

• Options
    For your average family dinner the amount of pasta water in the sauce shouldn't really exceed a cup at most. More like a third of a cup.

Also, "red sauce"? Is it marinara? Or one of the "one for every town of italy south of the alps" tomato sauces out there?

• Options
    I think as a general rule when people say "red sauce" they mean marinara, arrabiata or bolognese, since most people don't know the difference between them, and because a lot of times what people make is a mix of two or all three.

• Options
    I think as a general rule when people say "red sauce" they mean marinara, arrabiata or bolognese, since most people don't know the difference between them, and because a lot of times what people make is a mix of two or all three.

I've noticed that when I googled marinara sauce and some recipes had chili flakes as an ingredient.

• Options
    Yeah I realized what was going on the second I saw "marinara with ground beef" in a jar at the grocery store.

But, also, when I make sauce, I basically make marinara with ground beef and pork and chili flakes, so I can't really be judgy.

• Options
    no like

yeah the first one is just like, how you do it because of the starch and shit

the second one is a thing I've seen and heard happen because people are awful cooks

I read this and heard my Italian grandmother scream in protest from beyond the veil

• Options
    I'll call tomato-based sauces whatever the hell I want as long as Italian-Americans insist on calling it "gravy."

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.