[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

11920212224

Posts

  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    Gator nodded. "We can keep an eye over Lady Elaydren, and make sure they don't use the schema for ill."

    jdarksun on
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, what's the game plan?

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    OOC: Any opposition to bringing Lady Elaydren d’Vown the schema? It's been an open question for a couple days now, so let's give it ~6 more hours and if no opposition we move ahead?

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber's not thrilled with the idea, but the alternative is either potentially unleashing another cataclysmic event, or being pursued by two massive bounties worth of hired goons.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce would be supportive as argued earlier; nothing we can't handle if things go astray, and we promised, right?

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus What a wonderful harvest.Registered User regular
    John just wants to get the job done, he'd rather not create unneeded complications.

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The morning and afternoon pass by without much fanfare.

    Near 7:30 p.m. you all collectively leave Faber's residence and head towards the Broken Anvil.

    Upon arriving you see Lady Elaydren waiting for you at a table. Joining her is a lumbering Goliath, ostensibly her bodyguard. Lady Elaydren sits, dressed in a shimmering blue glamerweave gown. Her hands are covered in blue silk gloves, which rest atop a bag of coins.

    But while you all have easy access to join her, John Merchant is immediately pulled away for a stern dressing-down by his employer. The Halfling restaurateur yells at John that its completely unprofessional to not show up to work for two nights in a row and that this incident will be going into Merchant's annual performance review.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Cello
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    OOC: How heavily armed is this bodyguard? That is to say, if he tried to kill us, what would be his method of choice?

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    Sneaks wrote: »
    OOC: How heavily armed is this bodyguard? That is to say, if he tried to kill us, what would be his method of choice?

    The heavily-armored Goliath (with his shield on his back), when not sitting, stands about eight feet tall.

    He has a heavy maul at his side, a dagger at his hip, and his fists are wrapped in what appear to be small chains.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber approaches the table and sits his backpack down on the floor heavily before seating himself across from Lady Elaydren.
    He shoots a wary glance at the Goliath before turning his attention back to Elaydren.
    "Did you think the muscle was really necessary for us? We found what you're looking for. We also met a number of people who were also looking for it, people who won't be returning. It's not been a great couple of days."
    Faber leans close and lowers his voice to carry to Elaydren, but not further into the din of the tavern.
    "Before we hand this over, I'd like to share what little I've found in my research. This is ancient, and very powerful. I fear it could be, in the wrong hands, cataclysmically misused.
    But power is just power, in the right hands, this could benefit to all sapient life.
    I hope, for all of our sakes, that your hands are the right ones. I also pray that they're strong enough to keep it away from the wrong hands. The Edge Lord's interest has not waned with the loss of his people."

    Faber leans back in his seat and briefly scans the inn to see if they've attracted any attention, or, more appropriately if the noble wearing the years worth of lodging as a gown has drawn any interest from the bar patrons.
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 perception

    perception:
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    "Oh Mr. Faber, you are stoic as ever..." Elaydren says taking a sip of her blueberry tea. She then gives a casual glance towards her Goliath bodyguard. "As for your question on the appearance of Blackclaw? Surely you must agree that if you have been highlighted for danger due to the artifact, such danger would transfer to myself upon our arrangement being over?"

    She pushes the bag of coins towards the Warforged Cleric.

    "Your caution is rightly placed, as I believe Bonal Geldem was right when he suspected this artifact could be used in the creation of something of immense power. But rest easier knowing that it is surely better defended within House Cannith vaults than anywhere else. The Lord of Blades may have his resources, but none of them are to break through our wards with any such ease. Trust me on that."

    During this conversation Faber has been quietly peering around the room. He doesn't see anyone really watching your activities. Everyone is primarily distracted by the events of the local Hrazhak game played within the city this night (The Cerulean Shifters of the Eldeen Reaches Shifters vs. The Sapphires of Sharn).

    "Tell me, I hope you didn't meet too much opposition while on the mission? You all look to be in regular form, no missing limbs."

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    OoC:: Is Kedaar still with the party after Tox left the game? I'm curious how we're playing that going forward. I figured "heroic rear guard death while recovering the schema", but that didn't turn up.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Once you all emerged from the tunnels, Zedaar decided to just go to his own residence as oppose to joining you all in Faber's.

    You haven't heard from him since.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber pauses at Elaydren's voiced concerns. He doubts that this is anything more than polite conversation, but he also wants to share some of the danger that her job had engendered.

    "One of our party had a very hard time of it. The last of the Lord of Blades' warforged had him in captivity for quite some time while the rest of us retrieved the schema. He was dazed, beaten unconscious, when we recovered him, and he hasn't been his normal talkative self since. Saber's ministrations were...considerably... less then tender. We tried to rouse Zedaar, but nothing could shake him out of the fugue that had taken him. Even when we crawled out of that hole, he returned to his residence without a word, or a drink.
    We got his body out, but I don't know if he came with it...
    As for the rest of us, we invested in healing potions, and it was an investment that paid dividends."

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    "Oh my! Well, I was right in trusting in your services then! Such dangers would have certainly conquered me, and likely Professor Geldem."

    "And I am sorry for the trauma that seems to have swallowed your Dragonborn comrade, but..." Lady Elaydren taps her fingers along the table like it was a piano. "The schema?"

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    "Of course."
    Faber reaches into the bag set at his feet and draws the schema out, wrapped in a measure of oilcloth and tied closed with string. The precise shape is shape is obscured, but still distinct enough to be recognized by a person familiar with it and sets it on the table.
    "Open it here if you'd care to inspect it, or wait until you're safely within your walls. I'll trust the payment is as agreed, the sooner we're done with this schema the better for me and mine."
    Faber reaches forth and collects the payment, depositing it within his bag to be shared out later.

    "I'd love to say it's been a pleasure doing business with you Lady Elaydren, but I think the best I can honestly say is that it's been profitable. If you have any way to get word to the Lord of Blades and let him know that the schema is out of our hands, it'd be appreciated."

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 25
    "I believe I can put together some messages that might be easily broken by the Lord of Blades. Throw him off your track, and mine..." Lady Elaydren grabs the schema and carefully unwraps it under the table to quickly verify that it appears to be the item commissioned. Wrapping it back up again, she stows it away on her person.

    "Oh, jubilation." she lets out as she finishes her blueberry tea. Dropping a ten silver pieces on the table, she rises from her chair.

    “You have my thanks,” Elaydren tells them, “and the thanks of my house. Periodically, check in with the House Sivis message station at the Barmin Tower. I may leave a message for you if more work becomes available in the future.”

    Then she and her bodyguard depart.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 25
    And that formally concludes The Forgotten Forge!

    You all are now level two and you collectively have 900 gp as payment from Lady Elaydren.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    see317Centipede DamascusSneaksCello
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 25
    EPILOGUE
    THE MOURNLANDS
    In a private tower within the ruins of a partially destroyed keep, a steel hand grips a Last Messenger and pulls it from an iron chest. Discarding the Last Messenger away, the steel hand maneuvers for a goblet of industrial alcohol and begins to sip at it.

    "You may have failed me, Saber, but make no mistake, that schema will be mine." With another hand, the Lord of Blades glares at an ancient book with detailed images & writing of the schema. "Upon this rock, I will build my church."
    FAIRHAVEN
    Within a private study of an extravagant palace, Jorlanna d'Cannith reads Owenn Kemble's original letter requesting a character reference for Lady Elaydren. Folding the letter, she stows it back within a heavy tome focused on researching the ancient magic of Giants as theorized to have taken place in Xen'drik eons ago. She grabs a fresh rose and glides over to the study's fireplace.

    "Oh Elaydren..." Jorlanna softly speaks to herself, slowly plucking off the rose's petals and gently tossing them into the fire. "You're playing a dangerous game, cousin." With all the petals ripped off the flower, what was once a beautiful flower now only resembles a thorny stem of dying vegetation. "That schema will be ours, cousin, and no cruel meddling on your end will halt our plans."

    Jorlanna pricks her left ring finger on a rose thorn and, with bloodied hand, then throws the stem into the fire.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    see317jdarksunSneaksCello
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited October 7
    Shadows of the Last War
    Part One: Sharn

    reGmsPY.png



    Six months have passed since the your voyage to retrieve a schema for Lady Elaydren d'Cannith and encountered resistance in the form of agents of the Lord of Blades. Soon after that mission, Zedaar found himself missing the consistency of the battlefield, so he politely left to go sign up with a group of House Deneith in need of muscle. Two months ago Owenn Kemble got pulled into an "investment opportunity" by his old friend, Aldritch Lode, which resulted in them mismanaging some funds for a powerful lieutenant of the Boromar Clan. When things immediately started going sideways Owenn hastily packed a bag and fled the city (his whereabouts are currently unknown). The rest of you have done odd jobs, individually & together, but nothing comparable to the scale of your climbing down to the depths of Dorasharn Tower.

    Its a hard night, like most in Sharn, as you all travel together home. You spent the evening supporting Pierce at an open-house night for performers, with Pierce showcasing her still relatively new saxophone. And since you are close to it, and remember the words of Lady Elaydren, you decide to pop into the local House Sivis message station to see if she has made any contact with you.

    Thunder rumbles in the distance as you cross the rain-slick skybridge that leads to Barmin Tower. The rain falls at a steady pace, causing waterfalls to spill over the sides of the slanted rooftops and balcony railings. Ahead the heavy door to the House Sivis message station hangs open at a strange angle, one of its hinges separated from the doorframe. Lightning flashes, and you think you hear a groan from somewhere inside the otherwise quiet shop.

    @Cello, @Centipede Damascus, @jdarksun, @See317, & (joining the group now) @AustinP0027, the adventure begins anew!

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    jdarksun
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Gator draws their bow, and approaches the door on as silent of feet as they can manage. Standing to one side, the shifter eased open the door.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Lew grips the hilt of his sword tightly, watching Gator creep forward. Moving much more slowly given the armor he was wearing, the paladin approaches the other side of the door that Gator was easing open. His voice lights up in Gator's head.Give me a signal and I'll rush in first.


    OOC:I'm going to need to find a good way to designate what speech is telepathic as opposed to out loud, so trying colors to do that. Please let me know if it doesn't work/or someone has a better idea.

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As Gator softly pushes the door open, a sight of disarray tells a familiar story.

    The tables and stools within the message station are in disarray; some are overturned or smashed, others have been forcefully scattered from their usual places. Behind the counter, lying atop a spilled shelf of scrolls and parchment sheets, is the Gnome clerk who runs the station. She moans, unconscious but apparently still alive.

    pxqDevg.png?1

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber will approach and cast light to illuminate the scene.
    He'll kneel next to Agatha and inspect her for wounds and to administer what aid he can to the gnome to see if he can bring her back to consciousness so we can determine what happened here.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 medicine check

    medicine check:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Kneeling next to Agatha d'Sivis, Faber rouses her awake and helps her to her feet.

    She takes off her thick glasses, clears her eyes, cleans her glasses, and then finds stability in the moment.

    "The messages!" she blurts out in concern. "I have to check on the messages!" Agatha begins to shuffle recent documents around in haste.

    "Oh, damn them! Damn those scaled cretins!!!"

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus What a wonderful harvest.Registered User regular
    "You don't miss a beat, do ya?" John says. "Some dragonborn give you trouble?"

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Lew enters as John and Faber are checking on Agatha. He stands silently as John questions the Gnome, but inspects the room, looking to uncover any clues as to what occurred while they wait for Agatha to explain more.

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Investigation Check

    Investigation Check:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]

  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Realizing belatedly that the party has already left, Pierce breaks away from discussing her musical method with a few extremely, definitely interested bar patrons and rushes to the message station. She barges into the room, paying no heed to the hanging door, and loudly calls out to the group, "So, then, have we a new quest?"

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber nods to Pierce. "Not yet. Right now we just have some scaled jerks from Crete roughing up the message keeper. Sounds firmly in the town watch's wheelhouse at the moment."
    He turns back to the gnome who's busily organizing the mess, "Agatha, where is Crete, and how did you recognize these people as natives?"

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    "Not Crete! Cretins, you rust bucket!" Agatha snaps at Faber.

    Turning to address John, Agatha dusts herself off, "And they weren't Dragonborn. They were..." she then squints her eyes with rage, "Kobolds..."

    "There were at least four of the vermin. Swarmed over the place before I could react. Knocked me to the ground as they secured the station for their larger, human-sized leader. A mysterious agent wrapped in a dark cloak. They possessed a deep, rumbling voice that was both strong and stern. The kobolds followed his commands without question. And... Remarkably, they asked if there were any messages for you," she remarks, pointing at Gator.

    Agatha finds herself over to her desk and begins inspecting documents for damages.

    "It was a grim coincidence as I had just transcribed a message for you from the speaking stone. I must have glanced at the scroll I was holding, and the next instance the cloaked figure snatched the scroll with one hand and slammed me with the other. That's the last thing I remember."

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Lew enters as John and Faber are checking on Agatha. He stands silently as John questions the Gnome, but inspects the room, looking to uncover any clues as to what occurred while they wait for Agatha to explain more.

    Lew inspects the room, but is too thrown off by the mess of it all.

    All this chaos disrupts his focus.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Lee turns to Gator. "Any idea who might be reaching out? Or maybe," he turns back to Agatha, "any chance you remember any part of the message?"

  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    "Could be an old friend, or a previous client," murmured the shifter. "But frankly, most of them would have sought me out personally instead of through a speaking stone." Gator considered the folk who might have attempted something so... formal. "Agatha, do you remember who the message was from? Or the contents of the message?"

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    "Oh, I dare not divulge such sacred information. We House Sivis clerks are trained only to transcribe and then immediately forgot the contents of the message, for professional security and for our own safety."

    Agatha continues to review documents.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If you want more information from Agatha d'Sivis, you'll need to start using some Charisma skills.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    "But... the message was for me," Gator sputtered. "Lewkosh, can you please talk some sense into the clerk?"

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 11
    Lew sighs. These clerks and their insane rules have to cause more harm than good. He steps up to Agatha and speaks softly. "Agatha, you are clearly exceptional at what you do, a true example of the great House Sivis. But couldn't you also agree that getting the message to the person intended to receive it is just as important as the security around it. Gator's right here. Let's get him the message so we can all successfully be on our way."

    OOC:I think this counts as persuading with good graces/intentions so assuming I have advantage here.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Please
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Pretty Please

    Please:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]
    Pretty Please:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]

    AustinP0027 on
    jdarksun
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Peering at Lew, "Well at least you know how to be polite in these civilized times. You should remind your associate that honey goes down smoother than his brand of vinegar."

    She then rubs her temples.

    "Now as mentioned I don't remember the message itself, as we at House Sivis are trained to immediatly forget all messages upon scribing them. Such a fact is true for your own message but I seem to remember who sent it. Ahhh.... Yesss... A lady... Lady Elaydren d'Cannith. Yes, that was it."

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce, having tried valiantly to hold onto the thread of the conversation but failing, continues to nod along as the chat continues; eventually, however, she decides that as she isn't entirely a participant, it is within bounds of politeness to back away and check for clues in the doorway or outside of the station, to see if the invaders had left any hint of the direction they took from there.

    OOC: Pierce investigates the doorway and just outside of the station without heading too far away from the party, looking for clues.

    Geth roll 1d20+0 for investigate

    investigate:
    1d20+0 10 [1d20=10]

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
Sign In or Register to comment.