As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Social Media]: The Intersection Of Money, Policy, And Hate

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I took a quick look at some of the groups they banned, and most of the supposed 'antifa' groups would be far more accurately be called "self-professed anarchists."

I'm also betting that a large number of "We're totally antifa" pages and groups are, as ever, done by QAnon, Boogaloo, Shapiro, etc. Since they keep always doing that.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Being a self-professed anarchist is nothing like being a self-professed QAnoner.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The antifa pages banned include
    https://crimethinc.com
    https://itsgoingdown.org
    https://pnwylf.noblogs.org
    You can see for yourself if they are at all equivalent to the right wing bullshit that was also banned (spoiler they're not)

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Liberals are getting ready, rhetorically, and emotionally to suppress the left the instant they aren't needed to win elections. You can see this in how Obama's entire presidency occurred. Didn't even have the Justice Department investigate the police murdering BLM activists and saying it was "gang-related".

painfulPleasance on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Liberals are getting ready, rhetorically, and emotionally to support the use of live ammunition against the left. You could see it in the way that Obama did nothing to investigate the murders of BLM activists in car-style lynchings.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Fuck this. Nobody is trying to defend people getting shot in the street.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Libs are currently sending death threats to the old hippie who got his skull cracked in Buffalo so forgive me if I choose to read your post and decide that you're either not a liberal or you don't know what liberals are doing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/martingugino

painfulPleasance on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Libs are currently sending death threats to the old dude who got his skull cracked in Buffalo so forgive me if I choose to read your post and decide that you're either not a liberal or you don't know what liberals are doing.

Source?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Libs are currently sending death threats to the old hippie who got his skull cracked in Buffalo so forgive me if I choose to read your post and decide that you're either not a liberal or you don't know what liberals are doing.

What in the name of all the gods are you talking about?

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular

Or maybe your definition of "liberals" is a bit screwy?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »

He said "enact M4A" instead of "support M4A" in an anti-Biden tweet so the liberals, russiagaters, stillwithhers, KHives etc began calling him a Russian bot.

painfulPleasance on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I still don’t know what the fuck sense this makes

Like I’m not necessarily opposed to the thought that the “Dems” would abandon the “left” if they no longer needed them to win elections but

1: that only happens in a world where the GOP is no longer electorally relevant and I would have the biggest boner at this happening
    2: no clue how the thing you cited in support of your assertion makes any damn sense

• Options

He said "enact M4A" instead of "support M4A" in an anti-Biden tweet so the liberals, russiagaters, stillwithhers, etc began calling him a Russian bot.

Again: source? That account's tweets are hidden from non-followers.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

He said "enact M4A" instead of "support M4A" in an anti-Biden tweet so the shitlibs began baying for his death and calling him a Russian asset.

Yoi could you know link to...any of these as proof because A. That sounds deeply unlikely and B. You get that not everyone on Twitter is a real person right?

(Linking to his profile doesn't work because you can't browse it, and searching for him brought me nothing)

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I can't get to the tweet because it's protected, and linking to the nobodies attacking him is probably against the rules.

painfulPleasance on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I can't get to the tweet because it's protected, and linking to the nobodies attacking him is probably against the rules.

Then shut the fuck up about it.

Edit- and if you edit your shit to completely change the context...we still see that.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Another example of how social media sucks poo-smeared ass and we’re not prepared to deal with its impact

• Options

if it's a nobody why do you care. I could probably find a leftist Qanon, doesn't mean they exist in numbers enough to give a shit about.

Also uh that's not a death threat.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Yoi could you know link to...any of these as proof because A. That sounds deeply unlikely
    No it definitely happened because everyone on Twitter is yelling at each other all the time. The question is how meaningful do you think it is. I personally would say, even as an annoying radical leftoid, not very.

• Options
    edited August 2020

if it's a nobody why do you care. I could probably find a leftist Qanon, doesn't mean they exist in numbers enough to give a shit about.

I didn't say that was a death threat, you wanted something, anything, to prove that something was happening, and since terf accounts all protect themselves in response to a high-profile target protecting, and since the tweet that the death threats reply to will likely be deleted...

painfulPleasance on
  • Options

I didn't say that was a death threat, you wanted something, anything, to prove that something was happening.

Linking an out-of-context tweet unrelated to your original claim is not how citing your sources works.

• Options
    That is a reply to the tweet. If the tweet comes back, you'll see the original tweet that the death threats are in reply to. What is confusing about this?

• Options

I didn't say that was a death threat, you wanted something, anything, to prove that something was happening, and since terf accounts all protect themselves in response to a high-profile target protecting, and since the tweet that the death threats reply to will likely be deleted...
    Dude, I actually agree with you about leftism, but if this is the best you can do you should have just not mentioned it

• Options
    edited August 2020
    That is a reply to the tweet. If the tweet comes back, you'll see the original tweet that the death threats are in reply to. What is confusing about this?

I don't use Twitter. When I click on the link, I don't see the tweet that's being replied to. So I guess "Twitter" is what's confusing about this.

Calica on
  • Options

If all you have is that if someone restores a deleted tweet you linked to maybe we have something to support the specious claim you make...

Do better.

And if you are going to make some radical inflammatory claim, trying to edit it away a minute or two later and erase after people see it is poor form. Stand by what you say or at least acknowledge why it wasn't right.

• Options
    edited August 2020

You strongly implied it, and could have just said that was what you were doing up front. Also if you're talking "TERFs" on twitter like half of those aren't even feminists or liberals, they're pretty far up the ass of the right and use radfem language exclusively to attack trans people because they think it gives them more traction / is funny.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. @painfulPleasance banned from this thread.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Here is an interesting analytics look at Qanon hash tags on Twitter since Twitter announced banning a few key phrases.

Not perfect, but banning a few hash tags dropped Qanons reach by ~30%. Thread below has a few more graphs and stuff if you are interested.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Facebook is now obstructing an investigation into the ongoing Rohingya genocide because of course they are. Facebook stoked the hatred so it could get near-monopolistic control of the online market of Myanmar; who cares if a few million internet non-users die if you can get a whole national market share, right?

If nothing else, make yourself a reminder that Facebook is terrible everywhere and caters to the worst within and of humanity, deliberately and intentionally, in chase of its almighty profits.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Facebook whistleblower reports that Facebook knew of government manipulation and did nothing:
    Facebook ignored or was slow to act on evidence that fake accounts on its platform have been undermining elections and political affairs around the world, according to an explosive memo sent by a recently fired Facebook employee and obtained by BuzzFeed News.

The 6,600-word memo, written by former Facebook data scientist Sophie Zhang, is filled with concrete examples of heads of government and political parties in Azerbaijan and Honduras using fake accounts or misrepresenting themselves to sway public opinion. In countries including India, Ukraine, Spain, Brazil, Bolivia, and Ecuador, she found evidence of coordinated campaigns of varying sizes to boost or hinder political candidates or outcomes, though she did not always conclude who was behind them.

“In the three years I’ve spent at Facebook, I’ve found multiple blatant attempts by foreign national governments to abuse our platform on vast scales to mislead their own citizenry, and caused international news on multiple occasions,” wrote Zhang, who declined to talk to BuzzFeed News. Her LinkedIn profile said she “worked as the data scientist for the Facebook Site Integrity fake engagement team” and dealt with “bots influencing elections and the like.”

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    It wasn't enough to support one genocide, so Facebook is going for a second in Ethiopia:
    Throughout his life, Ethiopian singer Hachalu Hundessa sang about love, unity, and raising the marginalized voices of his Oromo ethnic group.

He had always tried to keep his work and politics separate, saying, “Art should not be subject to political pressure.” But it became increasingly difficult for him to keep these two worlds apart, thanks to a politically-motivated disinformation campaign orchestrated on Facebook through a network of newly created pages and designed to demonize Hundessa.

The incendiary campaign claimed Hundessa abandoned his Oromo roots in siding with Prime Minister Ahmed Abiy. Abiy, Ethiopia’s first Oromo leader, has been heavily criticized by hard-line Oromo nationalists who believe he has abandoned his heritage by appeasing other ethnic groups.

The impact was devastating.

Hundessa was assassinated on June 29 while driving through the capital Addis Ababa. The man police charged with Hundessa’s killing told prosecutors that he was working as an assassin for the Oromo Liberation Front, an armed nationalist group linked to numerous violent attacks — and who told the shooter that Oromia would benefit from the death of one of its most famous singers.

Hundessa’s death at age 34 set off a wave of violence in the capital and his home region of Oromia. Hundreds of people were killed, with minorities like Christian Amharas, Christian Oromos, and Gurage people suffering the biggest losses.

This bloodshed was supercharged by the almost-instant and widespread sharing of hate speech and incitement to violence on Facebook, which whipped up people’s anger. Mobs destroyed and burned property. They lynched, beheaded, and dismembered their victims.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Trump: Biden is a pedo. Twitter: Is very legal:
    (CNN)Less than two months before Election Day, President Donald Trump took his campaign tactics against Joe Biden to a new low, retweeting an image on Tuesday that baselessly accused the former vice president of being a pedophile.

The tweet Trump shared reads, "We can beat them at their game .. #PedoBiden" and includes a gif of Biden leaning in to whisper into an adult woman's ear with his hands resting on her shoulders.

In the gif, Biden leans in to say something to Stephanie Carter, former Defense Secretary Ash Carter's wife, during his swearing-in ceremony 2015. Since Biden's entrance into the 2020 race, the image has been utilized by critics to suggest the former vice president has been physically inappropriate toward women.

But Sarah Carter says it's no such thing, writing in 2019 that in the moment captured on camera, she felt she was being comforted by Biden when "he could sense I was uncharacteristically nervous."

Carter added: "After the swearing in, as Ash was giving remarks, he leaned in to tell me 'thank you for letting him do this' and kept his hands on my shoulders as a means of offering his support. But a still shot taken from a video -- misleadingly extracted from what was a longer moment between close friends -- sent out in a snarky tweet -- came to be the lasting image of that day."

According to a Twitter spokesperson the tweet Trump retweeted Tuesday that falsely accused Biden of being a pedophile "is currently not in violation of the Twitter rules." The spokesperson did not explain why.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    I'd bet calling Jack Dorsey a pedophile would be in violation of the Twitter rules. Funny, that.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    People bringing up the new shiny partnership between Twitch and the US Army:

Rod "Slasher" Bresleau is an e-sports journalist.

Jordan Uhl is a progressive activist living in Washington, D.C.

Which is a thing, because "Hey kids, do you want to kill some brown people like in your vidya?" is the cyberpunk dystopia we live in, I guess.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Death to Facebook!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Facebook getting completely shut down in Europe wouldn't redeem 2020, but it would be one hell of a silver lining.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Zuckerberg, on Facebook internal company Facebook; "hey assholes, stop treating this like it is facebook"

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Christ what an asshole

This discussion has been closed.