As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D 5E: The Temple of Yonth

1356722

Posts

  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Oh boy.

    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Investigation of the stones and shells.

    Investigation of the stones and shells:
    1d20-1 13 [1d20=14]

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Any chance I can grab a map snippet fir where I am, as I understand it the mimic was in a dead end to my left and my next point of interest is the doorway to the south with the splatter mark.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

    Wylan stands for a moment, considering the words he has just heard, and then raises his glaive away, it's point returning to the ceiling as he holds it by his side. He waits a moment, letting the silence hang in the air before speaking again.

    "My name is Wylan. I seek what might be found here, but I am not foolish enough to turn away help. I fear this place has more dangers in store." He looks around this room a bit more. "What is your name?"

  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 10/10

    "Ashala Mohsen is here alone, from the Myriad Paths.
    This room seems to contain nothing else"
    She turns to open the other closed door of the moth room.

    VayBJ4e.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Wylan, Aasimar Paladin, HP 24/24

    Wylan nods. "To the north, there is another hallway, but it passes through a room and fungus and sludge. Lead on, I will follow."

  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    "Hello?" I call out "Is anyone there?" after waiting a few seconds for a reply, I move closer to the pool and look in, hoping I don't see any sort of strange creature in the water.

    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Investigation

    (by the by, whats the difference here between investigating something and using perception?)

    Investigation:
    1d20-1 16 [1d20=17]

  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

    Not startled, but made aware, let’s say. The creature turns sloppily, catching itself before it falls. It slowly makes its way, a step at a time, towards you as you peer around the room.

    As chance would have it, you spot a little cylinder in one of the grooves. You could prize it out with the right tools.

    The creature has no lower jaw. Its sockets are empty. You note it has flecks of gold on its otherwise filthy skin. Not the precious metal, no, just paint perhaps.

    It reaches its arms out for you, batting at nothing. Hoping, you think, to strike you.

    Roll for initiative.

    Mr. Grungle

    "Give me that gold!!!" Mr. Grungle vomits forth from his fangled maw.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+3 16 [1d20=13]

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy

    Moving over towards the water, Billy regards it suspiciously taking a long sniff before deciding if it's safe to drink. You never know when you might next find fresh water.

    Once done, Billy steps warily into the shallow water, moving steadily and deliberately towards both doors.

    Pausing briefly beside the one opening and closing to see if it sounded like there was anything of interest beyond it. Billy was not intimidated by the door's violence, but only cared to chance it if it seemed like there might be some sort of reward beyond it; else, he would continue on and open the door in the other direction.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Perception.

    Perception:
    1d20+3 5 [1d20=2]

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Magnus

    Sifting through the debris, you see that each shell is of the same type of sea snail, down to the colouration. Likewise, save for some scratches and dents, the stones are all roughly the same. You could keep a couple of each, perhaps a thrown distraction later?

    Underneath it all you find a broken spear haft covered in notches. It’s doesn’t seem to be much use.

    You instinctively turn, eyes and ears alert, when you hear a muffled shouting and sluggish, heavy steps. Beyond what you realise now is tall translucent glass rather than just a wall, there are two figures tussling!

    iq5jxyq5uz1v.jpeg


    Roy

    ix8nqaxpoqh0.jpeg

    Directly south is a closed door. Upon further inspection it has a thin series of cracks at the base, as if something hit it by force. Occasionally a red light pulses across the door in the shape of a claw.

    Your gut tells you a witch will have made a home here; it’s just the sort of arcane place they love.



    Ashala & Wylan

    The door opens fine, and amber light flickers into existence as you approach. The corridor is 5 feet wide, not too tight, but it forces you into single file.

    On the wall to your right are scrawled messages written in bright blue paint, but only Ashala can read it. A dialect of Draconic most rare.

    South Landscape Gallery
    North Do Not Trust

    Hardly an eloquent use of the most regal of languages.

    gpvxuz304wsk.jpeg



    Thraxxagar

    Lying still at the bottom of the water is a elongated furred corpse. No head. Not much legs. It’s fur moves like seaweed in a current.

    The reply is slow, ill timed as your peer into the water.

    “Welcome.”, it says, distant, as if from a well.

    On the opposite side of the room there is a ghost. You note it is in the bounds of a slightly raised circle on the floor.

    daat2982k7ry.jpeg




    Mr. Grungle

    The undead abomination is blind as a bat and slow as a worm. Get it before it gets you!

    Geth roll 1d20 for Initiative

    @Bucketman For my money, Investigation is taking time to look a place over, Perception is more for your reactions. If you’re looking for hobbit tracks, you’re investigating. If you’re trying to count the orcs a mile away, it’s Perception.



    Billy

    You can’t tell what’s beyond the dangerous door.

    The other one opens before you reach it. The next room is a surprise to you. The shallow water deepens at the middle of the room, and the walls are trickling with fresh water. Cool droplets have formed across the ceiling.

    Under the glow of yellow light various aquatic flora rest like boats on a still sea. Then some move, softly. A ripple flows out from the very centre of the room.

    8mn3habhdbd4.jpeg


    What do you do?

    Initiative:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Magnus Mulligan, Quillen Paladin -- Current HP: 24/24

    Warily, but moving quickly, Magnus moves around the outside of the room (giving the pile of shells as much distance as he may) and moves into the shaded corridor, seeking a way to reach the two battling figures.

    A hero always protects whom he may, he thinks to himself earnestly.

    WACriminal on
    Endless_Serpents
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    "Ahh, hello friend. I didn't notice you there. I apologize." pointing to the corpse in the water "Is that by chance...you? Or is that someone or something else?" after a moment "Well anyway uh, do you know a way out of here? Or even where here is? Theres a lot of those pretty water birds all over the place, not my usual style."

    I would like to inspect the area of the floor thats raised that appears to be trapping the ghost.
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Investigation

    Investigation:
    1d20-1 11 [1d20=12]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Magnus

    Heedless of any danger it might pose, you push each door as you come across it and sprint into the room of the duel to the death!

    —Here I would ask you to roll for initiative, which is 1d20 + your initiative bonus, but to avoid getting on top of each other, the initiative order is as follows:
    - Mr. Grungle goes next.
    - Magnus after.
    - The undead is last.
    Then we start from the top, and so on.

    2wy2dou5d3g0.jpeg

    The pair aren’t in view yet, but by looking over to the glass wall you can create a rough mental picture. When you act next you can get straight into the fray, no problem.

    —You’re in a combat encounter now, so you’ll have to be aware of how far you can move and what actions you can do. Just ask if you’re unsure.



    Thraxxagar

    The ghost does not turn towards you as it speaks.

    “That is,” the ghost breaks off to scream for a full three seconds, it’s voice gargled and strained, “The exit is to your immediate left.”

    The door opens smoothly half way, the ghost continues to point to it for some time. It stays stuck open.

    “Welcome to the—”, another prolonged scream. The ghost darkens, “Thank you for your assistance today.”

    Then it is gone.

    What you gather is the corpse was not of the ghost. It seemed to purposely not speak of itself when questioned.

    Stepping around the pool, you take a look at the ghost’s... summoning circle. Light dances across the circle. You clearly see a band of a rare metal ringing it, could it be platinum?! Very fine metal, copper, you suspect, crisscrosses its surface.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Magnus Mulligan, Quillen Paladin -- Current HP: 24/24

    (Assuming Mr. Grungle and the monster both survive Mr. Grungle's turn...)

    After the slightest pause of indecision, Magnus steels himself and charges forward. As one of the smallfolk, he is most familiar with bugbears in the form of some bullies who occasionally came to his village, but he does know that the undead are enemies to all decent folks. If this bugbear is assailed by an undead monstrosity, then Magnus is duty-bound to come to his aid.

    In a moment whose significance he does not fully appreciate at the time, for the first time in his life Magnus swings his scimitar at another creature with the intent to harm it.

    EDIT: Oh, the map has been added and I am not close enough. I guess "I move closer to the undead with my scimitar raised" then? LOL

    Geth, roll 1d6+3 for damage and the shattering of innocence.

    damage and the shattering of innocence:
    1d6+3 8 [1d6=5]

    WACriminal on
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    To clarify/follow-up, my speed is 25 ft, so a Dash action should get me adjacent to the undead, opposite Grungle.

    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    04hytm6k9qhd.jpeg



    Looks like we got a Valghernian stand off. Will the Grungle know the intent of this charging little ball of justice?

    Endless_Serpents on
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I would actually prefer the square north of the undead, if that's OK.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Absolutely!

    WACriminal
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy

    Unsettled by the forthcoming ripple, Billy attempts to take a couple quicksteps towards the exit corridor just past the pool before whatever is causing it arrives.

    Hopefully he can make it a few steps down the corridor before he has work out if it's friend or foe, a decision always more comfortable to make when you've already halfway down a clear route of escape.


    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Billy

    You leg it out the door as something rises up behind you. You hear a fth as water is sprayed up forcefully, as a whale might from its blowhole.

    Still on the run, you see the corridor ahead widen. It goes on for some time.

    You notice a couple of arrows laid on the floor about 10 feet ahead. Do you keep running?

    57oi9dctyiqg.jpeg

  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

    The undead abomination is blind as a bat and slow as a worm. Get it before it gets you!

    Mr. Grungle

    The green-haired bugbear is going to spin around the bumbling ghoul and viciously push his dagger through the back of its skull.

    He pulls back his lengthy Goblinoid arm and yells out, "Slam In The Back of My Dragula!" before punching the dagger in.

    Will Mr. Grungle's Surprise Attack and/or Sneak Attack be allowed?

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Endless_SerpentsSleep
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    It isn’t surprised, but you can Sneak Attack it!

  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    Well the ghost doesn't appear to be a threat...as of yet. But I feel like the descent thing to do is put both these poor sods to rest. I'm going to try and pull the body out the water, lay it in a proper sort of way and say last rights to the Thunder Lord Thor himself.
    Blessed be the Thunder, herald of the storm
    Praise to the Bolt, carrier of your power
    Please O'god of deeds and strength, send your Thunder to herald this soul as it returns to you in the halls of Valhalla,
    I beseech you to carry them back home on your mighty bolt.
    In Thor's name be praised.

    And I pour out some water from my flask onto the body, since I seem to be dry on mead or beer at the moment.

    Then I do the same onto the circle holding the ghost, perhaps I can help this poor soul rest.

    After that I will collect any rare metals from the circle as I can extract and check out the panel next to the door.

    Endless_Serpents
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

    Geth, roll 1d4+3 to "Slam In The Back of My Dragula!"
    Geth, roll 1d6 to sneak attack that undead monstrosity

    to "Slam In The Back of My Dragula!":
    1d4+3 5 [1d4=2]
    to sneak attack that undead monstrosity:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Mr. Grungle

    You jam it in good. Its legs dance for a moment, and its tongue clicks several times. Still, not really, alive.

    Vital fluids pour from the wound!

    —Its going to suffer 1 damage per turn for 5 turns.

    Geth roll 1d20 for piercing injury



    Thraxxagar

    After pouring water over the circle, you start picking at the metal with your weaponry. You pay no mind to the rising steam.

    Make an Dexterity saving throw.

    piercing injury:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

    Does that resolve the combat between myself and the undead monster? Or was the piercing injury meant for me?

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    Geth roll 1d20+0 for Dexterity saving throw

    Dexterity saving throw:
    1d20+0 19 [1d20=19]

    Endless_SerpentsZonugal
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy
    You notice a couple of arrows laid on the floor about 10 feet ahead. Do you keep running?

    Only if something is chasing me.

    I chance a glance over my shoulder at whatever is rising up out of the muck, and should it not be an immediate threat to my most august personage, I slow my gait and risk a quick look around for potential threats within the corridor, and related to the arrows in particular.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for perception

    perception:
    1d20+3 7 [1d20=4]

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    (This is a clutch ass dexterity check for someone with a +0)

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Hmmm pulsing red door, obviously bewitched, this place reminds me of the bad parts of the wilds. I can tell the doors you don't necessarily want to knock at. I'm gonna look around for any doors that might not be so offputting, maybe back through the green room.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

    Everything gets an injury when it takes damage. That was meant for the undead. You made a big hole in its head and now it’s bleeding out!

    It’s still alive, but fortunately someone has arrived with righteous intent!



    Thraxxagar

    You leap back as a bolt of lightning arcs from the summoning circle! Touching it again is not wise.

    A ring of platinum pinged off. That is worth a tidy sum back home! You stow it away, I’m sure.



    Billy

    A beast is thrashing about in the water. You’re pretty sure its seen you, but its yet to chase you. It could though...

    5tv1amcld3gb.jpeg

    WACriminal
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Holy fuck @Fishman!

    Ahahaha

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Bucketman
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Roy

    You wind your way back through the first room and see that the northern door has opened since you last checked. Stepping through the threshold, you see someone has rough painted a dozen arrows on the floor in bright blue paint.

    The arrows point to a wall.

    It’s well lit here, and a breeze blows your way.

    ynlvxo4r9c6o.jpeg

  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Thraxxagar

    Time to check out that panel on the wall by the door.

    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Investigation

    Investigation:
    1d20-1 12 [1d20=13]

    Bucketman on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ashala, Lizardman Monk, HP 10/10

    "The space to the north is a deception, if you enjoy works of art there might be something for you to the south. An interesting message, tho I wonder who the intended recipient was. Perhaps a dragon with poor memory"

    Ashala chuckles loudly to her own joke.
    She grips her spear and two darts in her claws whilst moving forward to the landscape painting room. Her nose sniffing for meat.

    VayBJ4e.png
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy

    nopenopenopenopenopenopenope

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    ZonugalBucketmanWACriminal
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    If I'm correct, it should be the undead's turn, as I put in my dash order in advance? Then Grungle's turn again?

    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Oh yeah.

    The undead reels around, its attempting to grapple the Grungle!

    Mr. Grungle, make a contested Grappling check.

    Geth roll 1d20 for Grapple



    Thraxxagar

    The panel shows a clear diagram of a black figure being hit with clouds of... smoke? Acidic gas? Steam?
    Then a claw shape on black glass. Seems you press it to die or something.

    The door beside it is closed tight once again. No lock, just a green claw shape running right to left, it crackles into long strands suddenly whenever it passes the middle of the door. That seems wrong for it, like it’s broken somehow.



    Billy

    You run. Paying no mind to the— the arrows. Ah.

    Make an Athletics check.

    Grapple:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. Grungle

    "Get your mits off of me!" The Grungle yells at the ghoul.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 Strength (Athletics) for Grappling

    Grappling:
    1d20+3 11 [1d20=8]

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Thraxxagar

    Did the door close again? I right the ghost opened it half way and it stayed like that?

  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Billy

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for athletics

    athletics:
    1d20+4 20 [1d20=16]

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
Sign In or Register to comment.