As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Social Entropy++

1181920212224»

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Lol we're all old as shit

I know generations are an artificial concept in a lot of ways, but is wild to me how much this forum's age curve cuts off at the very bottom of the millennial age bracket

Like of the small handful of forumers who are still under 30, I don't think anyone is under 26

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Thankfully I plan to destroy the internet before my kids are using it regularly

Moriveth have ya destroyed the internet yet?

Stop trying to make people follow up with what they say Tef.

*squints at Blake*

In my defence, he started it

Oh nooooOOOOOOOooooooo

Accountability, whatever shall I do?!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited July 2023

For truth...and the old ways.

edit: jesus that is hard on the eyes.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

I know generations are an artificial concept in a lot of ways, but is wild to me how much this forum's age curve cuts off at the very bottom of the millennial age bracket

Like of the small handful of forumers who are still under 30, I don't think anyone is under 26

Excuse me but I am only 23*

*in Mars years…

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed a weird, but intriguing stink in this forum recently?

That was me sorry. I had asparagus the other night.

Me too! Did you have chimichuri sauce with it?

No, we just wrapped it in bacon, had it as a side with some lamb chops

Oooooooo that sounds delightful

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I spent a lot of my younger days on the internet capitalizing on the digital anonymity and trying to hang out in spaces/communities with folks who were a lot older than me. And while I turned out okay, by certain definitions of "okay," it's almost certainly a good thing that the youths of today aren't... Doing that.

• Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular

I spent a lot of my younger days on the internet capitalizing on the digital anonymity and trying to hang out in spaces/communities with folks who were a lot older than me. And while I turned out okay, by certain definitions of "okay," it's almost certainly a good thing that the youths of today aren't... Doing that.

This is exactly what I did and how I feel about it looking back.

I've thought about how I would feel if I ended up having a kid who spent time online the way I did, and honestly I'd be concerned

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I always wondered, what does the ++ stand for/mean?

Just in case (and this is oversimplification)

"++" is a programming short hand in some languages that basically says "increment this variable by 1" so if you're doing a loop you can program the counter to just do "counter++" and it's the equivalent of "counter=counter+1"

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Is it also that SE++ kind of sounds phonetically like C++

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I always wondered, what does the ++ stand for/mean?

Just in case (and this is oversimplification)

"++" is a programming short hand in some languages that basically says "increment this variable by 1" so if you're doing a loop you can program the counter to just do "counter++" and it's the equivalent of "counter=counter+1"

This forum was the first place I encountered this shorthand, and then I became a programmer so now I lean toward using "counter++" over "++counter" and think of this place every time I do.

Considering "++counter" has a more intuitive effect and small performance benefits in some languages, what I'm really saying is this place guided me down the path of being a sub-optimal programmer well before I ever wrote my first line of code

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Took me a bit to realize C# was a music thing

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    They are the crosses of the criminals saved by our Lord Jesus Christ.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I was trying to figure out why I can’t seem to find anything to watch or listen to while I work.

I ran out of my normal Ritalin!

Usually I take a 30mg time release then I have a 10mg to take later in the day if I need a boost.

All I had today was the 10mg…that’s most likely my issue with focusing and depression today

• Options
    This is me today

rhtdeiw7jiok.jpeg

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I wonder how many people who got SE++ jerseys are still around these parts.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Y'all I appreciate the knowledge about ++ but I knew that I was just setting up a possibility of goofs.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

I've got mine still! I do wear it to PAX events even if I've only been to two of those in the last decade

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I was trying to figure out why I can’t seem to find anything to watch or listen to while I work.

Usually I take a 30mg time release then I have a 10mg to take later in the day if I need a boost.

All I had today was the 10mg…that’s most likely my issue with focusing and depression today

I haven't had any Adderall since, like, January or something and it's been hell for me. The four or five months I was on it were like magic, I could actually get shit done and actually think clearly for the first time in my memory. Then the shortage and me not being able to find it anywhere was like having the rug yanked out from under me. Couldn't do anything, couldn't think, I'd do nothing at all on my days off but I couldn't even enjoy it because I was so scatterbrained that nothing sounded good to me. I'd start a game, quit after 5-10 minutes, scroll the internet for a few minutes, walk around the house, then start up a different game for a bit, etc. Just a living nightmare

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I associate the ++ with DC++, which was a popular file sharing thing back in the early aughts

Why does my mind associate these things? shrug emoji

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

I haven't had any Adderall since, like, January or something and it's been hell for me. The four or five months I was on it were like magic, I could actually get shit done and actually think clearly for the first time in my memory. Then the shortage and me not being able to find it anywhere was like having the rug yanked out from under me. Couldn't do anything, couldn't think, I'd do nothing at all on my days off but I couldn't even enjoy it because I was so scatterbrained that nothing sounded good to me. I'd start a game, quit after 5-10 minutes, scroll the internet for a few minutes, walk around the house, then start up a different game for a bit, etc. Just a living nightmare

That’s exactly what it’s like today. It’s the wooooorst trying to work like this.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

I have one, but we're both starting to show a bit of wear and tear around the fringes.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    e: answered already

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

I’ve got mine! Though the shirt is still in good condition there is now a bit more of me so it doesn’t fit as comfortably/fashionably.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    And fwiw if there was ever another run of a SE garment I’d jump on it right away.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    And fwiw if there was ever another run of a SE garment I’d jump on it right away.

Make a shirt out of your favorite EPYC.

Naruto Fucks, after all.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    I should be forced to wear a shirt with my EPYC art on it as punishment for creating something so fucking terrible.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I should be forced to wear a shirt with my EPYC art on it as punishment for creating something so fucking terrible.

::slosh::

• Options

::slosh::

I would love to say I created that specific piece of art but I did not.

I would wear it on a shirt though. My wife would never allow herself to be seen with me when I have it on but that’s ok!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    SE++ is a wholly owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings, Co., Ltd.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    matthias00 wrote: »

This is exactly what I did and how I feel about it looking back.

I've thought about how I would feel if I ended up having a kid who spent time online the way I did, and honestly I'd be concerned

I have three, and let me tell you it was both very concerning and also pretty OK. But they're all in their 20s now and today's internet is quite different. I would be a lot more concerned about the shitshow we currently exist in, than the one happening in the early 2000s.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    No cops at Pride

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My daughter, like all 9yos currently, wants to watch tiktok. Unfortunately for her, she is getting a smart phone when she's, like, 18. So she gets to watch on my phone. With me.
    I am curating the most mundane old-person tiktok right now.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My daughter, like all 9yos currently, wants to watch tiktok. Unfortunately for her, she is getting a smart phone when she's, like, 18. So she gets to watch on my phone. With me.
    I am curating the most mundane old-person tiktok right now.

Just nothing but TikToks of Jimmy Barnes, the singing cowboy ghost towering above the mountains?