As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I saw Rise has shipped 4 million units globally which is pretty good.

For 3 days yeah I'd say Capcom is probably not hating it.

This doesn't include the expansions, the way the game will flesh out with DLC, and the amount of people like me who will end up buying it on PC anyway. Rise is going to be a well-deserved success.

Is there an indication this will come to PC, or is that just an assumption because World did?

It has been confirmed.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Seidkona wrote: »

This doesn't include the expansions, the way the game will flesh out with DLC, and the amount of people like me who will end up buying it on PC anyway. Rise is going to be a well-deserved success.

Is there an indication this will come to PC, or is that just an assumption because World did?

It has been confirmed.

Man that's a change, in the past capcom would just leave the games on whatever platform they came out on.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Blast dash doesn't just look cool and let you fly it's also super versatile and a wonderful way to get into slam+full blast.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

They officially announced it some time back.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Is there an easier way to cancel the camera zooming all over the place at the end of Quests? I've been rapidly pressing Minus then B, but I figure there has to be an easier way.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

It has been confirmed.

Man that's a change, in the past capcom would just leave the games on whatever platform they came out on.

Apparently, Capcom decided that they like money.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Is there an easier way to cancel the camera zooming all over the place at the end of Quests? I've been rapidly pressing Minus then B, but I figure there has to be an easier way.

Drives me up the wall.

Throws off my old age the and carve while the end quest plays method.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Biggest improvement in Rise is skippable cutscenes prove me wrong

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    anybody got one of them longsword tutorials

gonna try and pick it up in this, the most japanese of monhun games to date

I got the deluxe edition so I have the 'Kamurai' layered armor. Once I put it on it was well I guess I better forge a longsword because charge blade does not jive with this.

You could grab a bow. The bow is also a traditional as shit samurai weapon!

Is the insect glaive close enough to a naginata you think?

Though I will point out that at least one of the longswords is also a naginata.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Should also note multiple options for wakizashi in sns/db I suppose.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Man why would you skip any of these glorious cut scenes?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Second playthroughs

• Options

Second playthroughs

I literally never do that. You're weird.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Why would I let plot get in the way of hunting monsters? Yeah yeah yeah elder guy, whatever you want, just point me in the fucking direction and I'll kill it to make shit out of it.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    CB mobility isn't too bad in sword mode, especially as it has that lunge slash iirc? Axe mode is slow though yeah.

You still can't really zip around the way other weapons can, but yeah. The main problem is that I'm trying to use the buzzsaw, and you lose that charge every time you go back to sword mode or sheath the weapon. One of the wirebug moves can move forward a bit without switching forms, and the forward+X attack in axe mode moves forward a decent amount, but I still gotta spend a lot of time just slowly walking around.

Yeah that's why I went back to the regular skill

For what it's worth, the axe will be charged again if you sheath then RT+hold X. So you can go sword to get outta there (or get bopped by the monster) and then just sheath and spin back up.

Sheath isn't quite the right word I realize belatedly, but yeah.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh boy I'm starting to get the hang of dual blades now, and since one of its silk skills is a counter I'm starting to pay closer attention to tells and whatnot

and man I'm very much starting to feel like a murder machine, this is awesome. it might be enough to replace IG as my main at this point

• Options

Second playthroughs

I literally never do that. You're weird.

I redid my character 2 hunts in and timed it:

By the time World was done with its intro cutscenes and finally had you in Astera (before the squad leader led you around the place, so add another 5 minutes on top) I had already bagged a monster in Rise. That's efficiency.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    They gave Basarios a moveset! Like, it's not a great one, but given Basarios was literally just a rock that walked at you, this seems a definite improvement.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    They gave Basarios a moveset! Like, it's not a great one, but given Basarios was literally just a rock that walked at you, this seems a definite improvement.

I love it when you put a barrel bomb down when he's tunneling

He hits it and gets stuck in the ground like a makeshift pitfall trap.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

I love it when you put a barrel bomb down when he's tunneling

He hits it and gets stuck in the ground like a makeshift pitfall trap.

Oh yeah, prior to this game the only real gimmicks I knew of like that were bombing and fishing Nibelsnarf out of the sand, and throwing a flash bomb at the right moment during the Duramburos pirouette.

I always wonder if any of these new monsters I'm encountering have any special mechanics like that.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So does Almudron have a gimmick of some kind, or is it bring blue+ sharpness so you don't bounce off of nearly every surface of it's skin? Did him with a group last night in low rank hub and it was soooper miserable as dual blades.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'd guess very hard claws like Mizu maybe

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure you can just hit B, took me a while to figure it out.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    you can trip people with dodgebolt, i guess? whoops.
    truly amazing moment last night where i stylishly pirouetted to safety while dooming my fellow hunter.

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    you can trip people with dodgebolt, i guess? whoops.
    truly amazing moment last night where i stylishly pirouetted to safety while dooming my fellow hunter.

This is why Superman works alone

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure you can just hit B, took me a while to figure it out.

It gets a little finicky if you have a weapon out, I find I have to hit Y or R first then B will work to stop the capture/kill camera

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda bummed that you can't seem to launch other players anymore with upswings and the like. I mean, it can be an annoyance but I've used tactics like that to save people from taking a big hit in the past.

For some reason, dual blades are really clicking with me this time around and I've been just playing super close and aggro. I changed out both switch skills and I can't see going back.
    There are launcher attacks, although it may be more finicky this time around.

I definitely sent a friend of mine flying with the axe mode of charge blade once, but the fact that it has only happened once so far is astounding.

Oh yeah I blew a few people off a cliff with a wyvern blast.

They deserved it.

The verticality of maps is interesting, until you accidentally IG off the edge of a cliff in the swamp and fall 10,000 ft or w/e.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    I'm kinda bummed that you can't seem to launch other players anymore with upswings and the like. I mean, it can be an annoyance but I've used tactics like that to save people from taking a big hit in the past.

For some reason, dual blades are really clicking with me this time around and I've been just playing super close and aggro. I changed out both switch skills and I can't see going back.

I definitely sent a friend of mine flying with the axe mode of charge blade once, but the fact that it has only happened once so far is astounding.

They deserved it.

The verticality of maps is interesting, until you accidentally IG off the edge of a cliff in the swamp and fall 10,000 ft or w/e.
    At least this time around, there isn't an area transition loading screen when you have to do the climb of shame.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

They deserved it.

The desert map is the one I hate the most for falling off a part and having to climb of shame back up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I have to declare that Mizutsune's theme has overtaken Zinogre's as my favorite.

What an absolute banger.

https://youtu.be/NRXyfQPcHr8

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Nothing will ever top Bagelgeuse's theme for me, but Zinogre and Mizu are very close, with Khezu's theme as a fourth place honorable mention.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I'm a little sad that Anjanath lost his sneeze-fire move and instead just got a directed fireblob. I wonder if that was just an engine limitation?

Edit: I just watched a vid to see his fire-sneeze thing and it really hit home how difficult and kind of clunky MH is going to be without a wirefall-type recovery move. Every time the guy in the video got knocked down my brain screamed that there was no wirefall.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The story in this game is absolutely terrible and pointless. I know it isn't supposed to matter, the game is an excuse to hunt monsters. But...

ivD3EMu.png

Early-ish village spoilers but it really doesn't matter and won't ruin anything for anyone:
    The dango girl and cat/dog recruiter boy are clearly old enough to understand metaphor and the importance of everyone contributing whatever they can to the cause. Yet when Fugen says how the village is more than steel and hunters they look at each other like "buhhhh???" in a moment that is physically painful to watch, and apparently this is a major plot point because everyone I talk to in town brings up how they need to learn Fugen's lesson as if it's a huge deal.

I don't expect much but I expect better than Sesame Street.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The story in this game is absolutely terrible and pointless. I know it isn't supposed to matter, the game is an excuse to hunt monsters. But...

ivD3EMu.png

Early-ish village spoilers but it really doesn't matter and won't ruin anything for anyone:
    The dango girl and cat/dog recruiter boy are clearly old enough to understand metaphor and the importance of everyone contributing whatever they can to the cause. Yet when Fugen says how the village is more than steel and hunters they look at each other like "buhhhh???" in a moment that is physically painful to watch, and apparently this is a major plot point because everyone I talk to in town brings up how they need to learn Fugen's lesson as if it's a huge deal.

Yeah it's really weak and bad and clearly is serving as a way to scotch tape together the different mechanics. The entire game really is eschewing all of the periphery, condensing it down to the absolute minimum, and going right for the core. Which I can appreciate.

World wasn't exactly the kind of narrative juggernaut to set the worlds collective imagination afire, but it did something with the characters. Even the Handler had a few moments. But I feel like the two games are approaching the gameplay loop of MH differently. As a new person I have no comparison point for them, but World definitely felt ornamental and grandiose while Rise is lithe and designed for the smallest amount of bullshit between monster hunts.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

ivD3EMu.png

Yeah it's really weak and bad and clearly is serving as a way to scotch tape together the different mechanics. The entire game really is eschewing all of the periphery, condensing it down to the absolute minimum, and going right for the core. Which I can appreciate.

World wasn't exactly the kind of narrative juggernaut to set the worlds collective imagination afire, but it did something with the characters. Even the Handler had a few moments. But I feel like the two games are approaching the gameplay loop of MH differently. As a new person I have no comparison point for them, but World definitely felt ornamental and grandiose while Rise is lithe and designed for the smallest amount of bullshit between monster hunts.

Probably helps that Rise is on a platform that has had a MH on it before and was where they'd been for like what the last 10 years? Versus world which was finally coming back to hd consoles since I want to say its release on the PS2? So they felt confident nintendo fans don't need story they just want monsters and to hunt them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

From a Japanese game? I don't.

It's almost always stellar gameplay and cringey garbage story.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So I was a little on the fence with this and thought I was burnt out on monhun after world/Icebourne.

Turns out I still have plenty of room still in my heart to smash monsters.

This is sooooo much fun. The quality of life changes are great and spent more time chasing monsters and less time gathering.

Also I’m not missing to have to check on my farm every couple of hunts.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I was really worried wirebugs were going to make the controls too fiddly and that wyvern riding was going to be clutch claw 2.0 and I am very happy to say I was 100% wrong on both counts.

I don't think I could go back to no wirebugs.

Also! You can turn on gyro aiming and you can specify the situations where it comes into play! /chefkiss

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Yeah I currently just train my palicoes/mutes, check meowcenaries and then make sure my negotiator is getting my god damn snacks. So much easier.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I specifically chose the male voice that was the least over the top (#7?) and it's generally fine except for the ridiculous 'VICTORYYYYYYYYY' at the end of hunts sometimes.
    I wish they would let you hear all of the voice lines before choosing. I like the english voices mostly, but that one really irks me because it's so out of place. Like, chill dude!

Really loving this game, though.
    Last MH I played was the original over a weekend rental and I was thoroughly confused. The concept of a monster not dying in a few hits was totally foreign to kid me.
    Plus the controls were nonsense. Analog stick to attack???
    I also tried the World beta out of curiosity but was turned off by the insane UI and button combos that were displayed by default.
    Made it feel like a fighting game - I think I did one hunt but wasn't grabbed.

For whatever reason this game is totally clicking for me now! :P
    I love the aesthetic and how it mostly feels like one of the old-school games.
    I can already feel myself picking up GU after this (and probably World).

hemmelight on