Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    So hunting horn seems to be working out somewhat decently so far. No idea how well I'm actually playing it (probably terribly) but I made it to high rank earlier. Magnamalo refuses to give me a plate to upgrade the excellent horn I made out of it.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i bought this and realized i kinda just don't want to play monster hunter right now. really bummed that nintendo's refund policy is so fucking ass backwards

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Anyone got some theorycrafting on the chargeblade switch skills? I've got the first one default and the second slot for the longer point block time.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    As usual, the way to beat Diablos is bringing a giant shield. Forgot to eat and it didn't really matter, it didn't get any new attacks to deal with lances.

You know what did get a nasty new attack? Zinogre. It got a lightning uppercut with its claw. That appears to be unblockable? I've carted to that one a couple times.

Oh well, just have Tigrex left and I'll have hunted every LR monster in the village quests, and then I'll do the oh so fun looking test to skip to HR.
    Rathalos, Zinogre, and... mud snake. No, not Magnamalo, that was for 3*! No, it's the snake with lava mud that wrecks lances. Thank god I can weapon swap mid quest so I can bring the Wyvernsnipe out to play for it.

Has anyone found a campsite in the Frost Islands? It's the only region I think I'm missing one (haven't found any there at all)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    As usual, the way to beat Diablos is bringing a giant shield. Forgot to eat and it didn't really matter, it didn't get any new attacks to deal with lances.

You know what did get a nasty new attack? Zinogre. It got a lightning uppercut with its claw. That appears to be unblockable? I've carted to that one a couple times.

Oh well, just have Tigrex left and I'll have hunted every LR monster in the village quests, and then I'll do the oh so fun looking test to skip to HR.
    Rathalos, Zinogre, and... mud snake. No, not Magnamalo, that was for 3*! No, it's the snake with lava mud that wrecks lances. Thank god I can weapon swap mid quest so I can bring the Wyvernsnipe out to play for it.

Has anyone found a campsite in the Frost Islands? It's the only region I think I'm missing one (haven't found any there at all)
    kind of upper left, just south of the cave entrance iirc

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    dual blades is all about knowing when to not get greedy yeah

I just want to add:

While this is true, it is true by fractions.

There is never a point you should be more than half a step away from the monster unless it's some dumb Teostra garbage. The decrease in greed should only last as long as the .3s of a single shuffle evade.

That is to say, just take your lumps early, die a lot, and learn to just never not be hitting the thing. It feels bad to get carted but aggressive learning is the only way to get into that zen blender zone. It's hard to unlearn being too safe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    dual blades is all about knowing when to not get greedy yeah

I just want to add:

While this is true, it is true by fractions.

There is never a point you should be more than half a step away from the monster unless it's some dumb Teostra garbage. The decrease in greed should only last as long as the .3s of a single shuffle evade.

That is to say, just take your lumps early, die a lot, and learn to just never not be hitting the thing. It feels bad to get carted but aggressive learning is the only way to get into that zen blender zone. It's hard to unlearn being too safe.

Fury Demon Mode has been amazing. Getting in small hits while dodging makes up for the other switch skill taking away the spinning dash. I'm almost in constant motion now.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Fucium ore, how you mock me so.

1 piece away from having a workable armor set for lance so I can go back and start cleaning up the lower HR quests and fetch quests for other things. I decided to go with Barroth because he's easy to kill and it's actually a quite good set for lance to start out:

4x Attack Boost
    4x Defense Boost
    3x Guard
    2x Offensive Guard

2 guard gems will get me to Guard 5 and 1 Guard Up and I'll be back to tanking everything.

I suppose they're really not making crit/weakness exploit the focus of everything this game by making it purely an armor skill and not on gems or talismans. That's fine. All builds in MHW/IB were 50% the same couple armor pieces anyway.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Fucium ore, how you mock me so.

1 piece away from having a workable armor set for lance so I can go back and start cleaning up the lower HR quests and fetch quests for other things. I decided to go with Barroth because he's easy to kill and it's actually a quite good set for lance to start out:

4x Attack Boost
    4x Defense Boost
    3x Guard
    2x Offensive Guard

2 guard gems will get me to Guard 5 and 1 Guard Up and I'll be back to tanking everything.

I suppose they're really not making crit/weakness exploit the focus of everything this game by making it purely an armor skill and not on gems or talismans. That's fine. All builds in MHW/IB were 50% the same couple armor pieces anyway.
    You can get at least one point of Weakness Exploit on a Talisman. I have a couple of them.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Wow just looked up some clips of the gunlance blast dash and that shit is crazy.

Gunlance always seemed cool but I normally avoid anything with a shield due to relative lack of mobility. Think I've found my future heavier weapon main now.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I have taken all of my lances and put guns on the end

I am now the rocket queen.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    So.... I'm finally clicking with long sword.

The sakura slash switch skill that replaces helm splitter is.... maybe too good?

At the very least it lets me, someone who is terrible at Long Sword, to get to red charge super easily.

Also...I made an armor set out of Barioth and one piece of hunter armor for Quick Sheath 3...and this is an entirely different game now.

I feel like I have a real solid handle on Dual Blades, Longsword, and Light Bowgun in this game, in addition to my main weapons of Insect Glaive and Bow.

I love silkbind, it's the best system they've ever introduced. Hunting styles who? Hunting arts what? Clutch claw when?

Who cares, my new best friend are silkbugs

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    It's gonna be really hard to go back to a Monster Hunter without Palamutes and Wirebugs. Those are gamechangers in such a way that I don't think they'll be able to get rid of them in future games.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    The one change I miss is the massive hunter...clans? Guilds? What were they called?...from World.

Being able to just log on to an environment where everyonr was sitting online and could join hunts was super useful. This game feels more lonely, but that's mostly Nintendo's fault

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, how many people are playing with English, Japanese, or the Monster Hunter Language. I went with MHL myself this time around.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I immediately put it on monster hunter language, the English voicelines in the trailers were enough to turn me off that option.

I think Palamutes/mounts of some sort might survive in the series going forwards, given they've kind of been on two games now, sort of.

• Options
    I've been playing it in english for the first time ever, and I've been pleasantly surprised.

I had to turn down my hunter call outs to like 20% though.

But having my hunter yell "WHO'S READY FOR WALKIES" when I mount a monster is funny every single time.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm assuming, by the three star village quests, if the Great Jaggras were in this game I'd have seen it, since it was a low level monster before.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming, by the three star village quests, if the Great Jaggras were in this game I'd have seen it, since it was a low level monster before.

Yarp. No Great Jagras, or Great Jaggi.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Whoa, the hidden Utsushi armor is....Vrry Good. I combined it with two pieces of Barioth and one piece of Tobi for a set with four ranks of critical eye, two ranks of razor sharp, constitution, and wall running.

Very nice, also looks dope as hell.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It is shocking to me how well hidden things are in these maps.

Like, I feel like I've explored a bunch of them pretty thoroughly, combed nooks and crannies and gone high and low, and I have found no more than 4 relic lore bits in every map.

Also I can't believe the sub camp locations. How is it so easy to miss giant round areas the size of a tent?

I didn't find my first sub camp until the flooded forest. And then I thought, wait, are these in every map? Surely not the ruins, that map feels small-ish and convenient to get around in? And I went back and later discovered camps in the ruins and snowy area.

And then later, I discovered a second extra camp in one of the maps. I do not know yet if every map has two extra camp spots.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    So I went to switch axe and it's pretty great. It melts things and it's kind of got a high dps glass cannon playstyle that I'm enjoying. So right now I've mostly been rotating between it, lance, sns, and bow as I feel like it. I think this might be too many weapons to be doing at once since it feels like my materials are stretched pretty thin. Well, I've also been keeping a charge blade relatively high level in case I decide to go back to it also.

• Options
    Arch wrote: »
    I've been playing it in english for the first time ever, and I've been pleasantly surprised.

But having my hunter yell "WHO'S READY FOR WALKIES" when I mount a monster is funny every single time.

Yeah I'm using English too and it's been fine. I wish I could select which specific shout-outs are spoken instead of some nebulous percentage. Mounting? Every time. Sharpening? GTFO.

It is shocking to me how well hidden things are in these maps.

Like, I feel like I've explored a bunch of them pretty thoroughly, combed nooks and crannies and gone high and low, and I have found no more than 4 relic lore bits in every map.

Also I can't believe the sub camp locations. How is it so easy to miss giant round areas the size of a tent?

I didn't find my first sub camp until the flooded forest. And then I thought, wait, are these in every map? Surely not the ruins, that map feels small-ish and convenient to get around in? And I went back and later discovered camps in the ruins and snowy area.

And then later, I discovered a second extra camp in one of the maps. I do not know yet if every map has two extra camp spots.

I think I've got sub-camps on every map now (give or take a couple of Zamites). I'm definitely going to use the positioning of the first to see if there "should be" a second. Like, the Desert Plains camp is in a strange position and it would not surprise me to find another on the eastern part, but the first in the Shrine Ruins feels like the only one the map needs.

As for the relic lore, I wonder if they're specific to the mission. There can't be 7 more places in the Ruins I haven't found but I'd believe that there are 7 Ruins quests where I haven't explored thoroughly.

• Options
    Double-post for follow-up PSA:
    Vyolynce wrote: »

TL;DR: Don't use "Action/Hurt Poses" on any quick-access menu.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    anybody got one of them longsword tutorials

gonna try and pick it up in this, the most japanese of monhun games to date

• Options

Yeah I'm using English too and it's been fine. I wish I could select which specific shout-outs are spoken instead of some nebulous percentage. Mounting? Every time. Sharpening? GTFO.

Having a very silly voice helps with this. I have the pompous, knightly voice and his full commitment to things like, "RENEW YOURSELF VALIANT BLADE" rounds it out nicely for me.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Are there any giant arthropod monsters in Rise?

Edit: Also am I blind or does Jagras stuff not making anything?

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Not that I have seen yet. There are some really creepy smaller ones though.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

Not that I have seen yet. There are some really creepy smaller ones though.
    There’s a brand new one. It’s almost as freaky as the Queen that throws her mate as a projectile, and leans toward nightmare fuel territory.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Edit: Also am I blind or does Jagras stuff not making anything?
    It’s used as a component for other armor and weapon lines, which I found to my chagrin when I had zero of them from not carving any Jagras along the way.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

There's definitely a demon spider but I can't pin down a video of it.

• Options
    Had so much fun playing this weekend. A silly thought strikes me. I finally managed to snag a PS5 which came in Thursday. So far the only thing my PS5 has been used for is to host party chat while I play Monster Hunter on my switch on a different TV input.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    anybody got one of them longsword tutorials

gonna try and pick it up in this, the most japanese of monhun games to date

I got the deluxe edition so I have the 'Kamurai' layered armor. Once I put it on it was well I guess I better forge a longsword because charge blade does not jive with this.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Having a very silly voice helps with this. I have the pompous, knightly voice and his full commitment to things like, "RENEW YOURSELF VALIANT BLADE" rounds it out nicely for me.

I really like my cheesy try-hard voice because every time I SAED he yells "I'll see you in hell!". It feels so out of place, I can't help but giggle every time.

• Options
    Jeix wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I really like my cheesy try-hard voice because every time I SAED he yells "I'll see you in hell!". It feels so out of place, I can't help but giggle every time.
    Mine grunts an apologetic "It's not personal" when he carves trash mobs.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    My favorite voice emote is "yoink!"

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So.... I'm finally clicking with long sword.

The sakura slash switch skill that replaces helm splitter is.... maybe too good?

At the very least it lets me, someone who is terrible at Long Sword, to get to red charge super easily.

Also...I made an armor set out of Barioth and one piece of hunter armor for Quick Sheath 3...and this is an entirely different game now.

I feel like I have a real solid handle on Dual Blades, Longsword, and Light Bowgun in this game, in addition to my main weapons of Insect Glaive and Bow.

I love silkbind, it's the best system they've ever introduced. Hunting styles who? Hunting arts what? Clutch claw when?

Who cares, my new best friend are silkbugs

The trade off without helm splitter you can't really target the hori slash, and you can't "spend" your spirit blade. Like its nice as a charge and I use it because especially in multi its way easier to hit things, but there is a trade off.

Also I imagine when two hunting horn users show up in a group hunt its exactly like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zda8H32pyeI

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Got my fist cart today against Barioth. In hindsight, I should not have been wearing armour with a major Ice weakness.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I switched to monhun language, because I kept getting really annoyed at the stupid things my hunter was saying in english. Yelling "Don't let it get away!" when the monster is already in another zip code is something I can only take so much of. I generally didn't like the english in cutscenes or anything, either. The voices themselves were good, but it's got that kind of localization where they try to say things the same way as in Japanese, and they end up sounding like aliens pretending to be human.

Aside from that, really loving this game. Mostly using charge blade so far, and I'm using the first switch action for it to really change it up from what I'm used to. Feels like one of the least mobile weapons in the game right now though, but it's so satisfying to use the big buzzsaw. Also using a bit of Sword & Shield and Greatsword, but I'm thinking about swapping one of those out for either Switchaxe or Gunlance. So many weapons I want to play, but I don't want to spread myself too thin by playing too many weapons. Hard enough to figure out what to be doing with just one sometimes.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    CB mobility isn't too bad in sword mode, especially as it has that lunge slash iirc? Axe mode is slow though yeah.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy