As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I currently just train my palicoes/mutes, check meowcenaries and then make sure my negotiator is getting my god damn snacks. So much easier.

Check the nest too!

Everybody go check your nest! There's probably a lagniapple in it!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah I shut off the voices.

Monhun protags don't talk.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Seidkona wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I'm kinda bummed that you can't seem to launch other players anymore with upswings and the like. I mean, it can be an annoyance but I've used tactics like that to save people from taking a big hit in the past.

For some reason, dual blades are really clicking with me this time around and I've been just playing super close and aggro. I changed out both switch skills and I can't see going back.
    There are launcher attacks, although it may be more finicky this time around.

I definitely sent a friend of mine flying with the axe mode of charge blade once, but the fact that it has only happened once so far is astounding.

Oh yeah I blew a few people off a cliff with a wyvern blast.

They deserved it.

https://youtu.be/9ZSoJDUD_bU

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Is there an easier way to cancel the camera zooming all over the place at the end of Quests? I've been rapidly pressing Minus then B, but I figure there has to be an easier way.

I'm pretty sure you can just hit B, took me a while to figure it out.

It gets a little finicky if you have a weapon out, I find I have to hit Y or R first then B will work to stop the capture/kill camera

This was my problem. The reason it wasn't canceling was because my weapon was out, I think.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm really just here for the poetry at the monster intros. Shakespearian.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I gotta imagine they're all Haikus in the japanese version.

Question:

The Gathering Hub level is all multiplayer related right? If I just ignore it because I don't want to do multiplayer, there's no way to level it up/nothing I lose yea?

I like Monhun as a solo experience.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Question:

The Gathering Hub level is all multiplayer related right? If I just ignore it because I don't want to do multiplayer, there's no way to level it up/nothing I lose yea?

The gathering hub is multi-player capable but can be soloed and is balanced for solo, but is also harder. You can also skip a bunch of it by playing campaign and using skip quests that unlock as a result.

Do just the campaign if you want and if you want more fights, the hub is there with more stuff for you to play solo when you feel like it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    You would miss out on a big part of the game not doing the hub.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I don't expect much but I expect better than Sesame Street.

From a Japanese game? I don't.

It's almost always stellar gameplay and cringey garbage story.

Can't agree, given a large chunk of the games where I have enjoyed the story in the last decade seem to be either Japanese or heavily inspired by Japanese games (Undertale is straight up an anime).

In other news, I've been alternating a bit. My learning duals when I don't mind getting smacked around, and IG (which I haven't played since 4U, but at least I have played) when I want to win. Lord but am I bad at duals.

Question:

The gathering hub is multi-player capable but can be soloed and is balanced for solo, but is also harder. You can also skip a bunch of it by playing campaign and using skip quests that unlock as a result.

Do just the campaign if you want and if you want more fights, the hub is there with more stuff for you to play solo when you feel like it.

Yeah, generally, you can usually do the hub stuff pretty well alone. You might miss on some of the tippy top endgame stuff, but the rest should be doable. I practically never play monhun multiplayer, myself!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I played a fair amount of MHW but this game is so dense with mechanics that it feels like playing a Paradox game, just ignoring whole chunks of it until you find better footing

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to use aside from the hammer, since that was my near exclusive weapon in World (and great for co-op)

I am digging the gunlance and the great sword, but I'm considering trying something more maneuverablw

Braining a charging monster with a charged slash lights up all the primal, hooting centres of my brain though

• Options
    edited March 2021

Question:

Gathering Hub scales from 1-4 players (health of monsters goes up), but the Gathering Hub quests are definitely harder than their Village equivalents. Expect from 50% to 100% more health in the Gathering Hub low rank compared to Village. Details can be found at Kiranico (here's the entry for Rathian):
    https://mhrise.kiranico.com/data/monsters/doQYo

After completing the Village Quests and the Special License quests in Village, head straight over to High Rank Gathering Hub. The Rampages may be a bit much for just one person (especially if you are floundering around without a guide), but there's only 3 required Rampages in the whole game (1 in Village, 2 in High Rank).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Question:

Gathering Hub scales from 1-4 players (health of monsters goes up), but the Gathering Hub quests are definitely harder than their Village equivalents. Expect from 50% to 100% more health in the Gathering Hub low rank compared to Village. Details can be found at Kiranico (here's the entry for Rathian):

After completing the Village Quests and the Special License quests in Village, head straight over to High Rank Gathering Hub. The Rampages may be a bit much for just one person (especially if you are floundering around without a guide), but there's only 3 required Rampages in the whole game (1 in Village, 2 in High Rank).

Kiranico entry isn't accounting for the scaling - I can guarantee you that H2 monsters do not have 2x the hp of V3.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Question:

Kiranico entry isn't accounting for the scaling - I can guarantee you that H2 monsters do not have 2x the hp of V3.
    It literally shows the number of players that it's scaled to in the list. Players column = 4 means 4 players.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Question:

I think when I played, the H2 monster I fought had more health than the V5 one. And if you look at the list, it's very much accounting for player scaling.

At the very least, my last village fight was 2 monsters that took 12 minutes, and my first hub fight was a single monster that took 18.

I wish I had concrete numbers for attacks tho, but Village really does feel incredibly easy. I wouldn't even finish burning through my 4 chest first aid pots.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think the village is scaled to be more introductary for new players. Multiplayer monsters have a metric fuckton of hps.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    So I've made a bunch of quests for the drop in, but how do you join other people's SoS type quests?

The arzuros bow is legit stupid. I have the 3rd and probably last rank of it and I haven't really seen anything that looks that great. I just did the urgent to unlock 6 star hub and it still seems to do good damage. Also the aerial silkbind is sweet, 3 rapid shots in the air followed by the slam does a ton of damage.

Haven't really found an armor set I want to get. I just have 4 pieces of HR izuchi and ingot legs I think.

I did read attack boost with at least 4 points is insane because it gives a % boost to raw which is obviously really good with stronger weapons. So I'll probably make some rathalos pieces once I get to him.

4 hunters + dogs is like way too much visual noise. Can't even see what the monster is doing. I may start bringing the cat in multiplayer just so I can try to reduce it.

• Options
    I think the village is scaled to be more introductary for new players. Multiplayer monsters have a metric fuckton of hps.

Nah, not a metric fuckton. A proper amount for this game series.

The village stuff was really tuned for onboarding, I think.

• Options
    If I'm being real eventually I'm going to be finishing every single quest available.

I might even go back and clean up the village ones.

I just need to find 2 more fucium for my gloves and apparently it's just a random drop in 3 different HR locations, so fuck me I guess

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Curious what the changes that cause that are under the hood - the raw HP value (for village Rathian) is actually slightly higher than in MHW. Slightly better weapon raw by then, maybe?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    So I've made a bunch of quests for the drop in, but how do you join other people's SoS type quests?

The arzuros bow is legit stupid. I have the 3rd and probably last rank of it and I haven't really seen anything that looks that great. I just did the urgent to unlock 6 star hub and it still seems to do good damage. Also the aerial silkbind is sweet, 3 rapid shots in the air followed by the slam does a ton of damage.

Haven't really found an armor set I want to get. I just have 4 pieces of HR izuchi and ingot legs I think.

I did read attack boost with at least 4 points is insane because it gives a % boost to raw which is obviously really good with stronger weapons. So I'll probably make some rathalos pieces once I get to him.

4 hunters + dogs is like way too much visual noise. Can't even see what the monster is doing. I may start bringing the cat in multiplayer just so I can try to reduce it.
    The Magnamalo Bow adds Blast and also has Spread Shot (Rapid, followed by Spread then Spread). It's basically the best spamming bow because of the Blast.

I've switched over to a shot-shot-shot-Dragonpiercer gameplay style (similar to MHW) with a Pierce bow, and the Nargacuga bow is ideal for this (even without Power Coatings).

For Attack Boost, you can use a mix of Barroth, Baggi, and Ingot Legs to get a ton of Attack Up (swapping in Anjanath and Rathalos when you get to that point). I think I used that combo all the way through HR 6.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    If you stand in the gathering hub balcony and stare out to sea, you might spot a cute funny detail.
    My friend was laughing about how ridiculous it looks when you send your poor dog out in a submarine. He closes the hatch with his mouth, and...what the heck is the poor guy supposed to do in there?

After he sent him out we went back to the hub...and a minute later the sub surfaces and the dog floats past waving his paw at us! :o

UncleSporky on
  • Options

Curious what the changes that cause that are under the hood - the raw HP value (for village Rathian) is actually slightly higher than in MHW. Slightly better weapon raw by then, maybe?

You can have way more up time in Rise, add to that monster mounting doing a lot more damage.

Like in prior mon huns another monster was a problem, here its a bonus!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, dung bombs in Rise are practically useless now

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    The wirebug movement feels amazing and using it to dodge previous ‘panic dive’ only moves is gorgeous

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    To request other people to join your quest via SoS (Join Requests), select the "Accept via Join Request" option (2nd one) when accepting the quest from the Maiden.

To join other people requesting aid, go to the Quest Board without a quest in tow and select "Respond to Join Request" to get a list of quests that you can select to matchmake into a specific quest or select Random to go to a random quest.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, dung bombs in Rise are practically useless now

I need to do a better job of figuring out where the minks spawn in each map, cause its always nice to start a fight off with friends.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Also, I'm rather annoyed that for all they streamlined gathering/crafting, as far as I can tell we are going to be back in the Khezu/?Gypceros?(whatever drops dash extract) mines for Mega Demon/Armor Drug and the stamina one.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Also, I'm rather annoyed that for all they streamlined gathering/crafting, as far as I can tell we are going to be back in the Khezu/?Gypceros?(whatever drops dash extract) mines for Mega Demon/Armor Drug and the stamina one.
    Argosy will trade Dash Juices and a lot of other things for points.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Curious, since I haven't tried it yet. But if I create an open lobby with no password, can random people join it or is it limited to just people on my friend's list? I've just been running with a password while I was playing with two friends, but thought it'd be nice if anyone else wanted to join in.

I did learn how the quest posting in the hub works though, so you can fill up the party for the hunt but it won't bring them in to your lobby.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    barroth is a real shit ass in this game

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Brody wrote: »
    Argosy will trade Dash Juices and a lot of other things for points.

I'm pretty sure you need extract, not juice, but I haven't actually found any, which is part of why I can't remember the name of what it crafts. Looked it up, apparently Dash Extract makes Dash Juice, so that fixes that, now to see if Argosy will sell Mega Armor/Demon, or even just Pale Extracts.

Brody on

• Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    The wirebug movement feels amazing and using it to dodge previous ‘panic dive’ only moves is gorgeous

I can't overstate how good being able to lance charge directly from a wirefall feels. It's allowed me to basically never stop hitting monsters. I'm still unsure if I'm going the Narga lance route with affinity and crit+ or some other with brute hitting power and atk+. All I know is Anchor Rage is fucking underrated for how much extra damage you can do with it, and how little damage you take when it hits.

I know I'll never have the DPS of bowguns or whatever come later, and I won't be setting any speedrun records, but I'm having a blast.

• Options
    Did we ever figure out a switch friend code list?

• Options
    I always wonder if people get upset when you finish with a trap? I did that on my last hunt because my break time at work was up and I was the only hunter near a sleeping wounded monster. Sorry guys!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I always wonder if people get upset when you finish with a trap? I did that on my last hunt because my break time at work was up and I was the only hunter near a sleeping wounded monster. Sorry guys!

I think there's a few rewards you can only get if you kill it or if you trap it.

Or, if that's not correct, it sure seems like a thing people think.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    If you stand in the gathering hub balcony and stare out to sea, you might spot a cute funny detail.
    My friend was laughing about how ridiculous it looks when you send your poor dog out in a submarine. He closes the hatch with his mouth, and...what the heck is the poor guy supposed to do in there?

After he sent him out we went back to the hub...and a minute later the sub surfaces and the dog floats past waving his paw at us! :o

1js9l1qabsbw.gif

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options

I think there's a few rewards you can only get if you kill it or if you trap it.

That's how it was before certain things only can come from carves. I did get a rath tail and plate so uhh hopefully they were as lucky!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Or, if that's not correct, it sure seems like a thing people think.
    Not sure, but the Hunter's Notes has a full list with percentages, which is really nice.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    So apparently Goss Harag Horns only come from Carves or breaking its Horns. Doesn't show up on Capture or End Reward lists. So that's something, I guess.

EDIT: Same with Zinogre Claws.

I mean, arguably, if you are targeting a specific part, you should be hunting it solo without the interference of other hunters, maybe. :/ Or at least, in a private group where everyone is on board.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

All I did was enter an updraft thing exactly like you normally would...

I tried literally every button, wirebugging, totally stuck.

This would've been disastrous if this was a real hunt. Luckily it was an explore mission and I could end it via menu!