As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ahsoka Tano thread [Star Wars]

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    I think my bigger thing for the difference between versions is
    Burton toning down his performance for the live action one; there’s not quite the scenery chewing I’m used to for Bane there in his live action appearance.
    Aha, I thought there was something different about Bane's performance but my memory was fuzzy on his animated appearances.

I heard him start to talk and I was like "yaaay.... wait he sounds different somehow." The lack of cartoon villainy would definitely do it.
    Yeah it’s that layer of hamminess and viscous, dripping smarm that Burton usually gives every line. Like he talks like the way a smart alec black hat does in a spaghetti western, the kind who has the skills to back up the attitude

Like it still works, but when you’re used to years of a specific presentation the more grounded take feels a bit jarring

Which is odd because it’s not like Mando and Book have an issue with hamming it up elsewhere

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So, that character at the end
    Has he made any appearances since TCW/BB? I mean, a being can change in 25 years.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I don’t believe he ever showed up in Rebels, so The Bad Batch would be the most recent appearance, chronologically.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I prefer the revised look myself. It looks less like a human in heavy makeup due to the mouth being moved to an unnatural spot and the nose being better hidden. It's pretty impressive that a youtuber was able to do that in a week.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    After catching up on the last two episodes, I think I’m primarily into Star Wars for the puppets and Amy Sedaris at this point.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I prefer the revised look myself. It looks less like a human in heavy makeup due to the mouth being moved to an unnatural spot and the nose being better hidden. It's pretty impressive that a youtuber was able to do that in a week.

The reliance on/aversion from technology is so strange in this show. They make a point of doing Grogu with practical effects, as well as most of the creatures, but they'll completely synthesize Luke to the point I don't even know why Mark Hamill has a credit. Not to mention the whole shows shot in the CGI dome.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think the CGI dome is fine; sound stages have used backdrops and shit since forever, and the alternative there is “alright everyone, fuck off to the desert for weeks at a time to shoot this show on location”

The shit with how they’re handling Luke isn’t a technology, thing, it’s a “we own this actor’s likeness in perpetuity and have now developed the methods to effectively utilize their performance also in perpetuity, using advanced computational techniques to synthesize the performance in ways that mean we don’t need them anymore and the parts that require humans can be farmed out to cheaper, more replaceable cogs below the line employees in the production.”

The uncanny valley is easy enough to get over. Hell if this was a full on animated production no one would care that like, Luke was a CGI model or a series of two dimensional sketches animated into the illusion of motion. But the way in which Hollywood has once again found a way to reap all the profits and fuck the labor that creates the art they profit from, not so much.

In essence: The Volume is a tool that primarily benefits the people who are doing the work of producing this show.

CGI Voice Synth Luke, where Mark Hamill isn’t even on set or in an ADR studio, but instead is being replaced with lower-paid stand ins and a completely synthesized vocal performance, primarily benefits a group of people in Lucasfilm and Disney’s C-Suite who get to make a lot more money and not have to pay anything more than a likeness rights fee.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Some people saw this coming 40 years ago (if not earlier).

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I thought Luke's voice sounded good, but the delivery was crap. I'm not sure you can synthesize your way around that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I thought Luke's voice sounded good, but the delivery was crap. I'm not sure you can synthesize your way around that.

Sure as fuck going to try

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Boba Fett had to be in the desert for a while
    Luke was already starting a school.
    I guess none of Dark Forces 2 is canon. They already screwed up Dark Forces 1 with Rogue One. Kyle Katarn lives!

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    After catching up on the last two episodes, I think I’m primarily into Star Wars for the puppets and Amy Sedaris at this point.

They have wrung this franchise dry

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Boba Fett is pretty much a sequel to the Mandalorian, not a spin off. It was neat that they did that.
    It is all part of the same story.
    He is the main character in this book of the story.
    Who knows who they will focus on for the next book.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Why are we even discussing books

There is no book

The ______ of Boba Fett

• Options
    It was cool that they gave the impression that it was separate from Mandalorian, but it wasn't.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

There is no book

The ______ of Boba Fett

Not much Boba lately either.

The ______ of _______

• Options
    So is the Book of Boba Fett a Gospel, an Act or an Epistle?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

There is no book

The ______ of Boba Fett

Not much Boba lately either.

The ______ of _______

The Pamphlet of Tattooine (feat. MC Darksaber & Li’l Grogu)

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I am kind of annoyed they didn't factor in the Star Wars games. Way to screw Lucasarts. Now, it is Lucasfilm Games. Why?
    They have been wiping away the cool Lucasarts logo on re-releases. It really annoys me.
    The gog versions still keep the logo.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Sure but so were most of Luke's deliveries in the OT.

Which if it was fully synthesized makes total sense.

And also means it's too bad they could have used the tone from the synth to modify Hamill actually doing the lines because he's fantastically better now than he was back then.

• Options
    It is wise Jedi Luke. He is talking like he did to Jabba the Hutt.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    You could probably start watching the show with episode 5 and don't really miss out on anything, really. I hope Temuera Morrison gets a good paycheck for the show what with how superfluously his character is treated on "his" show.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    You could probably start watching the show with episode 5 and don't really miss out on anything, really. I hope Temuera Morrison gets a good paycheck for the show what with how superfluously his character is treated on "his" show.

I think the flashbacks are worth it

But also I think all of them could have been done in a single episode so...

• Options

Honestly, what did we learn in the flashbacks? Fett crawled out of the Sarlacc, got taken in by some very inept Tuskens, and was nearly killed by a spice syndicate that even 5 years later doesn’t give a shit who he is? What part of any of that is relevant information? Or at least something that couldn’t be assumed or handled without four episodes of explanation?

• Options

Honestly, what did we learn in the flashbacks? Fett crawled out of the Sarlacc, got taken in by some very inept Tuskens, and was nearly killed by a spice syndicate that even 5 years later doesn’t give a shit who he is? What part of any of that is relevant information? Or at least something that couldn’t be assumed or handled without four episodes of explanation?

First of all Tuskens have always been inept. Or rather they've always been "Totally not natives that are unable to deal with modernization. George crossed his fingers!"

But also it's not about what we learned about Fett's fate. We already learned about Fett's fate (and frankly complaints about that are boring after The Mandalorian seasons) but far more importantly we learned about who Fett is.

He's arrogant and overly optimistic about his ability to translate his knowledge of the underworld into something other than being a bounty hunter.

He failed with the Tuskens and he's failing to become a kingpin as well.

He needs to be bailed out and I suspect that where it's heading is that there is no second season to The Book of Boba Fett and that The Mandalorian S3 is more Mando+Grogu+Fennec Shand+Boba Fett

• Options
    edited February 2022
    If the show just started with Mando arriving and you get to meet Kryssantan and the Mods all at the same time together with Boba and Fennec it could even be dramaturgically more interesting. Just have them do some interesting stuff for 5 minutes and you're good to go with "hey here's a cool band of ragtags with Boba as a leader!"

edit: start with ep 5. When Mando shows up at Sedaris's place she's currently harrassed by some Pikes, who Mando shoos away. Just at a bit of teaser for the conflict.
    episode 6. When Mando comes lands he's ambushed by a load of Pikes. Kryss and the Mods show up and help him out. At the end Fett swoops in "Hi, Mando, let me introduce you to the rest of my outfit.
    Then one single episode that switches over to Fett's story where Boba brings Mando and the audience up to speed about how he got where he is and how the Pikes moved in. Flashbacks go here.
    The the mando recruiting tour etc. etc. Big finale.

honovere on
  • Options
    If the show just started with Mando arriving and you get to meet Kryssantan and the Mods all at the same time together with Boba and Fennec it could even be dramaturgically more interesting. Just have them do some interesting stuff for 5 minutes and you're good to go with "hey here's a cool band of ragtags with Boba as a leader!"

Unless they have their scooters and then the entire thing would have taken a giant shit from the get go.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular

Thing is, what is or isn't relevant is entirely dependent on how well it's told. Dances with Tuskens could've been relevant if it was told well. There's nothing in a story that is inherently relevant or not independently of how well it's told. Make any bit engaging and it'll be relevant to the audience because it's engaging.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    This is total speculation:

So, I noticed Ewan McGregor is on one of the morning shows on Wednesday.

1) I don’t think he has anything to promote.
    2) Book o’ Boba’s finale is Wednesday.
    3) Obi-Wan trailer.

QED

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    This is total speculation:

So, I noticed Ewan McGregor is on one of the morning shows on Wednesday.

1) I don’t think he has anything to promote.
    2) Book o’ Boba’s finale is Wednesday.
    3) Obi-Wan trailer.

QED

The May 2022 timeframe got leaked, so the hype train might as well start.

• Options
    Wednesday May 4th is kind of perfect for a premier.

• Options
    Having BoBF take place on Tattooine and then Kenobi probably probably too most of the time has already dampened my expectations.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    When in doubt go back to literally the least interesting setting in SW

• Options
    It would be interesting if they linked Obi-Wan to the Mandalorian. He meets Obi-Wan's ghost.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Maybe not everything has to revolve around the same 5 people

but the nerds might get mad right

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Having BoBF take place on Tattooine and then Kenobi probably probably too most of the time has already dampened my expectations.

It might be copium that I feel Kenobi's hermitage on Tatooine is well suited for flashback storytelling that takes place offworld.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I think it'd be pretty great to see a show framed around an older Obi-Wan on Tatooine, sitting at home, scratching his beard and smiling as he's remembering his adventures bouncing around the galaxy righting wrongs and helping other Jedi go into hiding after the Purge, making friends and enemies along the way, dodging Vader and his Inquisitors along the way for a few years before settling down in his role as baby Luke's guardian.

Tt least a scene of some Inquisitors getting some info on Obi-Wans location and then nope-ing out. "Kenobi? You've got a tip on Kenobi? Yeah, no. Forward that one to Lord Vader. Kenobi is WAY beyond our pay grade."

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Would be pretty cool to see some live action Inquisitors!

I bet Jason Isaacs would be down for it, and their appearances to date have been super fun. A couple of great boss fights in Fallen Order, and that really good Ahsoka/Kana/Maul/Inquisitors fight in Rebels.

Second Sister and Tenth Brother would be pretty cool recurring antagonists for Obi-Wan, depending on the time frame the show covers.but there’s also a few Inquisitors that never really got much use they could dive into instead.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    So from the comics and Rebels, there are some events that Obi-Wan is locked in to already.

I wonder when exactly this will be set.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    This show should have been called

The Book of Boba Fett
    A Mandalorian Story
    A Star Wars Story
    The Quest for More Money

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.