As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jessica Walter Memorial [TV] Thread

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Laugh-In is a better format than SNL, prove me wrong

sock it....to me?!?

Yeah, that right there is proof that Laugh-In wins. Laugh-In punched Richard Nixon in the face, SNL let Donald Trump host an episode.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I mean in a show like snl, where it is a large volume of tv in a short turn around, it’s never unsurprising that most of it is bad. But you watch snl for those little moments that are funny, because when they get that lightning in a bottle it lights up, but even when it isn’t, it can be exciting because lightning could come next.

In the 90‘s there was sketch show in Australia that ran for three seasons and they had a best of DVD, it’s only two hours long, because over those three seasons, most of it was stupid! But when it was funny (and since it was the 90's not racist or homophobic) it was very funny.

You don't even have to watch for those lightning moments. You can just catch them later online if news of anything starts trending.

On paper SNL is a real doozy: It's a half-century long running institutional comedy variety hour with a different self-promoting guest host each week, features an also self-promoting musical guest that no one watches, and its largely performed by a mishmash of generational cast members, alumni staff, and other NBC-friendly celebrities. All that and its aired at a date and time that most people with a social life typically aren't watching television.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I mean in a show like snl, where it is a large volume of tv in a short turn around, it’s never unsurprising that most of it is bad. But you watch snl for those little moments that are funny, because when they get that lightning in a bottle it lights up, but even when it isn’t, it can be exciting because lightning could come next.

In the 90‘s there was sketch show in Australia that ran for three seasons and they had a best of DVD, it’s only two hours long, because over those three seasons, most of it was stupid! But when it was funny (and since it was the 90's not racist or homophobic) it was very funny.

You don't even have to watch for those lightning moments. You can just catch them later online if news of anything starts trending.

On paper SNL is a real doozy: It's a half-century long running institutional comedy variety hour with a different self-promoting guest host each week, features an also self-promoting musical guest that no one watches, and its largely performed by a mishmash of generational cast members, alumni staff, and other NBC-friendly celebrities. All that and its aired at a date and time that most people with a social life typically aren't watching television.

And yet Lorne makes like $30 million a year.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Finished The Flight Attendant

content warnings:
    - one use of the short f-slur
    - some potentially upsetting talk about animal abuse
    - feel like I missed a trick towards the end. She was never in danger of losing her job, that I noticed, and since getting exonerated is purely between her and the FBI ... why was Annie assuming she got laid off?
    - - pretty surprised that there wasn't any pushback on Annie's resignation, now that I think about it. It just kinda happens.
    - Zosia Mamet is a delight: "I can think of 700 well-intentioned BUT UNWISE reasons ... "
    - The FBI's slow and steady pace was a nice contrast to Cassie's more scattershot approach.
    - I stopped trusting Buckley around the time he 'happened' across Max and Cassie.
    - I like the "inner world" conceit, and I'm glad they don't try to explain it.
    - I think the 'coming to grips with her childhood' would have played better if we had more exposure to the fake, happy-sunshiney, set of memories, instead.
    - - I expected more out of the rabbits, tbh
    - - giant rabbit hallucination was excellent
    - Miranada is great.
    - - "We are so fucked"
    - - "what if ... no, we'll both be killed"
    - I liked the two PSAs, even if they were a bit clunky
    - Shane is 'keeping tabs' on Megan, so why are they letting her make the copies and such? She can't be that good at it.
    - She's only there for a couple of minutes, but it's always good to see Bebe Neuwirth.
    - torn on them leaving things open for a second season.
    - - on the one hand, more things need to end.
    - - on the other, this is a pretty good setup and I'm mildly interested in more

All-in-all, a pretty good way to spend six hours.

• Options
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    as much as I don't love some of what Taika Waititi's done (Ragnarok is okay and Jojo Rabbit is a pretty big "no thanks" from me), he's one of the few people that went from indie to the big blockbuster and actually uses that increased notoriety to get stuff like this made, rather than just continuing to cash the big checks on bigger checks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sydney Freeland is gonna be busy in 2021. She's attached to like three different shows, and she tends to pick up a few freelance directing gigs a year.

She totally deserves it, too. Fuckin' love Drunktown's Finest.

• Options

And yet Lorne makes like $30 million a year.

There's a whole machine that Lorne runs beyond SNL with loads of success. He's produced a dozen hit shows, long running sitcoms, decades of late night. and SNL both a farm system and a gateway for comedy legends.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    THE MAILBOX WAS HALIBURTON

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I unashamedly love Always Sunny from start to finish warts and all but I usually recommend season 4 as a starting point. It starts with Mac and Dennis Manhunters and ends with The Nightman Cometh.

You don't need too much context to know the characters yet and Frank hasn't completely lost his mind yet.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I unashamedly love Always Sunny from start to finish warts and all but I usually recommend season 4 as a starting point. It starts with Mac and Dennis Manhunters and ends with The Nightman Cometh.

You don't need too much context to know the characters yet and Frank hasn't completely lost his mind yet.

I just bought a Funko Pop of Frank as the Troll for my family's White Elephant gift exchange

Technically you're supposed to get gag gifts for White Elephant, but fuck that; if I'm spending money it's going to be on things people actually might want.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The best SNL is Who's Line is it Anyway?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The best late night variety show is on Friday, actually.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Look at butters here, showing off he has a social life. I mean most people are out, yes, but there are people who are home every Saturday who do watch it plus people who night just stay home once in a while.

And I don’t know about, wait for it to be on YouTube, like I said it being live does make it more exciting, because you don’t know what is going to happen next.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »

I have a real soft spot for those early episodes too and I think "The Gang Gets Racist" is one of the best episodes but I understand I'm in the minority.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i mean isn't "wait for it to be on youtube" like...an hour? i'm always seeing skits on youtube Sunday morning

• Options

Look at butters here, showing off he has a social life. I mean most people are out, yes, but there are people who are home every Saturday who do watch it plus people who night just stay home once in a while.

And I don’t know about, wait for it to be on YouTube, like I said it being live does make it more exciting, because you don’t know what is going to happen next.

In the US, Saturday night is not prime time for shows. In the fall, college football is on all day and deep into the night and most networks don't bother competing with it. SNL is an exception to this.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    And that’s my point?

It’s a spot that will never have high numbers but has a consistent base. Doesn’t mean You can’t make a market for small numbers if it’s consistent.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Watching Blackadder Christmas with my parents, as is tradition, and my mom shares with me that one time my babysitter, who was this lovely little old British lady who I called “auntie” when I was like four, once gave Robbie Coltrane a piece of her mind on a airplane because he was being rude to a flight attendant.

I did some math and it has to be right around when he was in Blackadder too.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Aw shit.

Cobra Kai is good.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Aw shit.

Cobra Kai is good.

damn right it is

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Aw shit.

Cobra Kai is good.

It's real good.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    lost spoilers:
    well, jacob's a fucking deadite

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I can't wait for you to finish the third season next week.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That trailer has me a lot more interested than the initial teaser did.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I was really on edge for the5 seconds it seemed like they weren't going to say that the etymology of fuck was bullshit in the trailer

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh no that was Kory Stamper giving that explanation I believe, there was no way she wasn't going to call it horseshit

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    https://deadline.com/2020/12/the-haunting-of-hill-house-flanagan-no-plans-future-chapters-1234661202/

Bly Manor was an incredible finale if so. Eager to see what Flanagan does next

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Into season 3 of Letterkenny and damn if it isn't just a great show. I love it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Because I’m watching it right now, after all of Space Mutiny, this one clip is my favorite in all of MST3K.

https://youtu.be/SDlwoqpuJxQ

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Started watching Mom on CBS via Hulu after I finished Frasier and wow, much better than I anticipated.

I understand why Allison Janney won two emmys for it.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Started watching Mom on CBS via Hulu after I finished Frasier and wow, much better than I anticipated.

I understand why Allison Janney won two emmys for it.

It's really on point with a lot of the actual issues they introduce in the show. The comedy is fairly mediocre IMO, but it doesn't detract much from being a good sitcom

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have started season 3 of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, in anticipation of its 4th season releasing soon.

I was not prepared for this season's apparent antagonist being Caliban, prince of hell (and parody of a Hemsworth brother).

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Starting up “Jose Chung From Outer Space” which is apparently one of the best episodes of X-Files

• Options
    Alex Trebek!!!!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Alex Trebek!!!!

Nah. Just looked like him

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Alex Trebek!!!!

Hey, they left that open to interpretation.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Alex Trebek!!!!

I think you'll find that what you actually saw was the planet Venus.

Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception, yet you somehow brazenly declare that you saw Alex Trebek?

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Alex Trebek!!!!

Hey, they left that open to interpretation.

Who was that handsome devil?

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.