Options

Advanced Table-Top RPG Thread: 2nd Edition

ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday ArmadilloI'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
edited January 2021 in Social Entropy++
In this thread we talk about table-top RPGs such as fantasy titans Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder, but also stuff like Warhammer (40k), Dungeon World, Vampire the Masquerade, and many more.

In this thread we talk about our own adventures as players, game masters, and campaign-setting/game-rule writers.

In this thread we talk about the greatest D&D adventure module ever published:

ETtprKZXkAANZEv.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
Zonugal on
«134567100

Posts

  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I have nearly convinced my normie friends to try a session of lasers & feelings with me.

    What other quick play, rules light systems do youse recommend? Happy to pay to buy in if required

    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

    bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In this thread we talk about the greatest D&D adventure module ever published:

    HeroQuest-Boden.jpg

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I really want to run Index Card RPG. I've run Out of the Abyss, Lost Mines of Phandelver, Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and started Ghosts of Saltmarsh yesterday. I really need to get away from 5E for awhile.

  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I have nearly convinced my normie friends to try a session of lasers & feelings with me.

    What other quick play, rules light systems do youse recommend? Happy to pay to buy in if required

    Honey Heist is a one-page RPG with a great pitch.

    It's Honeycon 2017. You are going to undertake the greatest heist the world has ever seen. Two Things –One: You have a complex plan that requires precise timing. Two: You are a GODDAMN BEAR.

  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Primus, that looks perfect! I think that setting since they don’t need to get hung up on the sci-fi elements! Thanks again!

    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

    bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Critical Roll has like 3 different one shots of Honey Heist ran by Marisha Ray, they are HILARIOUS.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Sent my Scum and Villainy party through the Temple of Calamity full of dnd puzzles and traps inspired by Wally DND on YouTube. That game works pretty well with just about any modification. It was a rousing Indiana Jones adventure.

    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So for an online game later this year I'm thinking of running an Indiana Jones esque "secret" department of the NY Museum of Natural History goes up against the Nazis in hunting down the secrets of Atlantis style game. Thoughts on running it in Savage Worlds Adventure edition or Genesys? Basically 30's Pulp Adventure. Globe Trotting, high technology ruins, the actual fabled city itself.

    Pretty much I love Indie, but I don't want to do the whole stealing relics from actual societies and peoples, Mustache Twirling Nazis make for a good "these guys are fucking bad" foil and who doesn't love Atlantis. I'm thinking the hook to start the story is that these secret departments across all major museums work together and folks fleeing from the German ones give heads up that shit is going down in Germany.

    webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So for an online game later this year I'm thinking of running an Indiana Jones esque "secret" department of the NY Museum of Natural History goes up against the Nazis in hunting down the secrets of Atlantis style game. Thoughts on running it in Savage Worlds Adventure edition or Genesys? Basically 30's Pulp Adventure. Globe Trotting, high technology ruins, the actual fabled city itself.

    Pretty much I love Indie, but I don't want to do the whole stealing relics from actual societies and peoples, Mustache Twirling Nazis make for a good "these guys are fucking bad" foil and who doesn't love Atlantis. I'm thinking the hook to start the story is that these secret departments across all major museums work together and folks fleeing from the German ones give heads up that shit is going down in Germany.

    I don't have any experience with Savage Worlds, but Genesys seems like a really great fit. The resolution system is purpose-built for the dynamic mix of success and failure and triumphs and setbacks that Indiana Jones and such are made of.

  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I have started running a VtM game! First session went okay

  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So for an online game later this year I'm thinking of running an Indiana Jones esque "secret" department of the NY Museum of Natural History goes up against the Nazis in hunting down the secrets of Atlantis style game. Thoughts on running it in Savage Worlds Adventure edition or Genesys? Basically 30's Pulp Adventure. Globe Trotting, high technology ruins, the actual fabled city itself.

    Pretty much I love Indie, but I don't want to do the whole stealing relics from actual societies and peoples, Mustache Twirling Nazis make for a good "these guys are fucking bad" foil and who doesn't love Atlantis. I'm thinking the hook to start the story is that these secret departments across all major museums work together and folks fleeing from the German ones give heads up that shit is going down in Germany.

    I don't have any experience with Savage Worlds, but Genesys seems like a really great fit. The resolution system is purpose-built for the dynamic mix of success and failure and triumphs and setbacks that Indiana Jones and such are made of.

    Yea I love Genesys, I'm just wondering how well it would translate to online play on a VTT versus something like Savage Worlds.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So for an online game later this year I'm thinking of running an Indiana Jones esque "secret" department of the NY Museum of Natural History goes up against the Nazis in hunting down the secrets of Atlantis style game. Thoughts on running it in Savage Worlds Adventure edition or Genesys? Basically 30's Pulp Adventure. Globe Trotting, high technology ruins, the actual fabled city itself.

    Pretty much I love Indie, but I don't want to do the whole stealing relics from actual societies and peoples, Mustache Twirling Nazis make for a good "these guys are fucking bad" foil and who doesn't love Atlantis. I'm thinking the hook to start the story is that these secret departments across all major museums work together and folks fleeing from the German ones give heads up that shit is going down in Germany.

    I don't have any experience with Savage Worlds, but Genesys seems like a really great fit. The resolution system is purpose-built for the dynamic mix of success and failure and triumphs and setbacks that Indiana Jones and such are made of.

    Yea I love Genesys, I'm just wondering how well it would translate to online play on a VTT versus something like Savage Worlds.

    I've only played it online and it is fine. It doesn't have fiddly positioning to worry about by default so if you can handle the dice, there isn't any problems.

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So for an online game later this year I'm thinking of running an Indiana Jones esque "secret" department of the NY Museum of Natural History goes up against the Nazis in hunting down the secrets of Atlantis style game. Thoughts on running it in Savage Worlds Adventure edition or Genesys? Basically 30's Pulp Adventure. Globe Trotting, high technology ruins, the actual fabled city itself.

    Pretty much I love Indie, but I don't want to do the whole stealing relics from actual societies and peoples, Mustache Twirling Nazis make for a good "these guys are fucking bad" foil and who doesn't love Atlantis. I'm thinking the hook to start the story is that these secret departments across all major museums work together and folks fleeing from the German ones give heads up that shit is going down in Germany.

    Sounds like Spirit of the Century to me.

    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I have started running a VtM game! First session went okay

    Rad! I've been running a bit of an impromptu V5 game after a newbie GM in our group had trouble figuring out their first game. I've been flying by the seat of my pants for the two sessions so far, but players are enjoying themselves.

    In other news, I also ran Lancer again after my friends argued me from a one shot to a once a month game. Only issue is I have... a total of seven people who want to play now? One of my friends talked about potentially learning to run things to split the group, but hasn't hard committed. Suppose if he does, I can finally try Lancer as a player!

    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In this thread we talk about the greatest D&D adventure module ever published:

    HeroQuest-Boden.jpg

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Shorty wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In this thread we talk about the greatest D&D adventure module ever published:

    HeroQuest-Boden.jpg

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

    You are not the person I would've expected to post that

    Much love, Shorty :heartbeat:

    I put my original post in a spoiler tag because re-reading it I felt it was offputting and weirdly judgemental. Here's the less weird rephrase:

    Shorty's picking up what I'm putting down

    Thanks, @Shorty

    Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So for an online game later this year I'm thinking of running an Indiana Jones esque "secret" department of the NY Museum of Natural History goes up against the Nazis in hunting down the secrets of Atlantis style game. Thoughts on running it in Savage Worlds Adventure edition or Genesys? Basically 30's Pulp Adventure. Globe Trotting, high technology ruins, the actual fabled city itself.

    Pretty much I love Indie, but I don't want to do the whole stealing relics from actual societies and peoples, Mustache Twirling Nazis make for a good "these guys are fucking bad" foil and who doesn't love Atlantis. I'm thinking the hook to start the story is that these secret departments across all major museums work together and folks fleeing from the German ones give heads up that shit is going down in Germany.

    Sounds like Spirit of the Century to me.

    Unless there's been a remake, Spirit of the Century is so very dated in its use of FATE mechanics I'd be wary of bringing it to the table. Setting is still great but there's a reason every edition of FATE has reduced the number of Aspects

    Genesys is what I'd choose, but Savage Worlds does pulp real well especially with some of the settings books (Deadlands Noir is great to steal from). Only recommendations about Savage Worlds are to start your players at Seasoned or higher, low level play is only fun for maybe one introductory session and to double and triple check that your players have character builds that can work as a party in your setting. Savage Worlds characters can be a lot of things and it's a bit too easy to make a character who is less useful to the way the game is going. Being the only one with 'Ride' in a setting with teleporters and whatnot.

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In this thread we talk about the greatest D&D adventure module ever published:

    HeroQuest-Boden.jpg

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

    You are not the person I would've expected to post that

    Much love, Shorty :heartbeat:

    I don't know what to do with this

  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I just edited it. My apologies

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In this thread we talk about the greatest D&D adventure module ever published:

    HeroQuest-Boden.jpg

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

    I know I missed out on the kickstarter/whatever Hasbro was doing for the rebirth of Hero Quest
    I am curious since I did miss out for reasons {I forgot what my kickstart info was {email and password} and real life things prevented me from getting it {work going totally to shit and paying the property tax}
    I am curious would I able to get the stuff that were add ons when it/or if comes out

  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So for an online game later this year I'm thinking of running an Indiana Jones esque "secret" department of the NY Museum of Natural History goes up against the Nazis in hunting down the secrets of Atlantis style game. Thoughts on running it in Savage Worlds Adventure edition or Genesys? Basically 30's Pulp Adventure. Globe Trotting, high technology ruins, the actual fabled city itself.

    Pretty much I love Indie, but I don't want to do the whole stealing relics from actual societies and peoples, Mustache Twirling Nazis make for a good "these guys are fucking bad" foil and who doesn't love Atlantis. I'm thinking the hook to start the story is that these secret departments across all major museums work together and folks fleeing from the German ones give heads up that shit is going down in Germany.

    I don't have any experience with Savage Worlds, but Genesys seems like a really great fit. The resolution system is purpose-built for the dynamic mix of success and failure and triumphs and setbacks that Indiana Jones and such are made of.

    Yea I love Genesys, I'm just wondering how well it would translate to online play on a VTT versus something like Savage Worlds.

    I've only played it online and it is fine. It doesn't have fiddly positioning to worry about by default so if you can handle the dice, there isn't any problems.

    I think online Genesys dice rollers can even eliminate the fiddliness of failures cancelling successes and advantages/disadvantages, and just give you a simple result.

  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In this thread we talk about the greatest D&D adventure module ever published:

    HeroQuest-Boden.jpg

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

    I know I missed out on the kickstarter/whatever Hasbro was doing for the rebirth of Hero Quest
    I am curious since I did miss out for reasons {I forgot what my kickstart info was {email and password} and real life things prevented me from getting it {work going totally to shit and paying the property tax}
    I am curious would I able to get the stuff that were add ons when it/or if comes out

    I backed this, but I think only a few figures are going to be exclusive for backers. It looks like the rest of it will be available at some point. I'm no expert though, but the way it's worded makes it seem that way.

  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So for an online game later this year I'm thinking of running an Indiana Jones esque "secret" department of the NY Museum of Natural History goes up against the Nazis in hunting down the secrets of Atlantis style game. Thoughts on running it in Savage Worlds Adventure edition or Genesys? Basically 30's Pulp Adventure. Globe Trotting, high technology ruins, the actual fabled city itself.

    Pretty much I love Indie, but I don't want to do the whole stealing relics from actual societies and peoples, Mustache Twirling Nazis make for a good "these guys are fucking bad" foil and who doesn't love Atlantis. I'm thinking the hook to start the story is that these secret departments across all major museums work together and folks fleeing from the German ones give heads up that shit is going down in Germany.

    I don't have any experience with Savage Worlds, but Genesys seems like a really great fit. The resolution system is purpose-built for the dynamic mix of success and failure and triumphs and setbacks that Indiana Jones and such are made of.

    Yea I love Genesys, I'm just wondering how well it would translate to online play on a VTT versus something like Savage Worlds.

    I've only played it online and it is fine. It doesn't have fiddly positioning to worry about by default so if you can handle the dice, there isn't any problems.

    I think online Genesys dice rollers can even eliminate the fiddliness of failures cancelling successes and advantages/disadvantages, and just give you a simple result.

    Awesome ill probably go with Genesys then as its the system i know.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So I revisited my previous TTRPG system I was slowly developing (it was the one with the modular weapon/armor design element that I worked on in a previous thread).

    Here's my current plan for how the system at large will work, mechanically, but I wanted to get folks' thoughts first.

    There are five primary attributes: Toughness (a combo of D&D's Strength & Constitution), Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, & Charisma

    During character creation every player gets 15 points to allot to those five attributes, with a 5 being the maximum for any attribute (at 1st-level).

    With a character's attribute scores "locked in" their scores indicate how many die they get to roll for skills/actions linked to that attribute.

    For example, let's take a "strong" character (Toughness 5, Dexterity 4, Intelligence 2, Wisdom 2, Charisma 2).

    For attacking with a physical, melee weapon they'd be allowed to roll five d6's. For intimidating someone through a show of strength, they'd also get to roll five d6's. But rolling to know something about chemistry? They'd be stuck with two d6's.

    My immediate thought is that I should restrict that ability somewhat by restricting it behind feats, so a character starts off being able to roll a maximum of three d6's, but they'd have to purchase something like "Improved Melee Attacks" to be allowed to use four d6's (and such).

    Or maybe I restrict that starting allotment number from 15 down to 12?

    Thoughts? Feelings?

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    What does a successful roll look like?

    Like, are we talking get as many 4+ as you can, as long as you get a single 6 you succeed, or what?

  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Straightzi wrote: »
    What does a successful roll look like?

    Like, are we talking get as many 4+ as you can, as long as you get a single 6 you succeed, or what?

    Uhhhhhhh *pushes papers around*

    Let me think on that and get back to you!

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In this thread we talk about the greatest D&D adventure module ever published:

    MV5BM2Y3ZDg4ZGMtMmZkMS00MjU5LWJkNjUtMzVjNWU4NzUxYzAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNjc5NjY@._V1_.jpg

  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I may have accidentally TPK'd my party. Oops. Guess that dragon breath on a party with 60 collective health on round one may have been a bit much.

    But wait! Jet Jaguar leaps from the shadows to help fight Mecha Godzilla! He offers himself as a sacrifice to give the party their health back so they don't die like goosing scrubs to this boss fight I spent thirty minutes planning, dangit!.

    You know what his last 'words' were.

    5ed59aba8079694add3a6e5bae706b127bc8e4bb.jpg?mw=600

    Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I am deeply fond of Tussie Mussie, of that set. A delightful little opener game, similar to a Love Letter sort of thing, although optimized for two players (which suits me well, my partner and I will play a game over lunch or similar).

    I should try more of that line for sure.

  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I have nearly convinced my normie friends to try a session of lasers & feelings with me.

    What other quick play, rules light systems do youse recommend? Happy to pay to buy in if required

    Danger Patrol Pocket is playable with one player sheet, though to GM it you'd be well-served by looking at Danger Patrol regular for scene ideas.

    Agon is some new spice but it's not much different from DPP, just a little more crunch to it.

    Fiasco is a classic of improv backstab storytelling, and it's got a new edition with prompt decks instead of dice allocation for the initial setup.

  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    In case it ends up happening, I was discussing what mech to go for in Lancer with another friend. Which resulted in him saying “The fucking Lich!” right as I said “I should go for the Lich!”

    So that course is set. Kind of thinking of going 2 LL in Lich, 1 in Goblin for the rad tier 1 hacking systems, then grabbing Lesson of the Open Door to increase my save target and provide extra heat. Then after that going 2 Napoleon and 1 Sunzi to get access to Stasis Bolt, Stasis Barrier, and Accelerate. Plus probably grab Superior By Design for extra leeway with the Lich’s small heat cap and a bonus immunity to impaired. Go for 3 in the Technophile talent and 2 in Black Thumb for extra survivability to aid with the Lich’s flimsiness from the overshields, ability to drop heat and status, and the save re-rolls from technophile. Then probably Stormbringer 1 to use with the Unraveller if someone else can reliably provide lock-on. Not sure on the talents to focus on from LL 3-6, maybe Hacker. Think that’s a solid-ish build in theory, but hard to say without seeing it in action.

    I really hope I actually get to play now though.

    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Fiasco has a few more rules, but we had a great time with it the one time we did play it.

    The setting was research scientists trying to get information out of an Antarctic base.

    It was the first time for a lot of people improving/role playing and ended up involving a whole lot of people walking scenes between characters and getting smacked over the back of the head with heavy objects.

  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    What does a successful roll look like?

    Like, are we talking get as many 4+ as you can, as long as you get a single 6 you succeed, or what?

    Uhhhhhhh *pushes papers around*

    Let me think on that and get back to you!

    Okay! @Straightzi, I think I am going to go with the standard d20 approach of a target number.

    So in my mind I'm trying to balance around two d6's being used, so a seven being the "average" number.

    That plus the character's attribute modifier and their proficiency bonus should on "average" get them around say eleven or twelve.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So as someone with no friends, what's the best way to get into all this and enjoy it?
    I am really curious about how everything works

    I mostly just watch lore and monsters videos on youtube

    Peas on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    With that, being able to add in additional dice is a massive shift up. I would definitely look at restricting it in some way, but, well, then I start wondering about the point of having higher stats. In the example you give, with a 15 point buy, I could instead make a character with threes across the board, and be able to use those to their full extent in any test without having to take special feats/proficiencies, etc.

    In short, I would say rethink the idea of a target number for a variable dice pool system. It works great if everyone is rolling 2d6 (or 3d6, or whatever), but I feel like it shifts extensively when the dice pool is variable.

    That said, I do like the idea of feats or proficiencies that allow you to access more of your raw physical attributes. I think there's potentially a bit of weird narrative balance (a highly skilled but physically weak swordsman will still be rolling less dice than a big strong guy), but that's not necessarily untrue, so it depends on the types of stories you're trying to tell.

  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    With that, being able to add in additional dice is a massive shift up. I would definitely look at restricting it in some way, but, well, then I start wondering about the point of having higher stats. In the example you give, with a 15 point buy, I could instead make a character with threes across the board, and be able to use those to their full extent in any test without having to take special feats/proficiencies, etc.

    In short, I would say rethink the idea of a target number for a variable dice pool system. It works great if everyone is rolling 2d6 (or 3d6, or whatever), but I feel like it shifts extensively when the dice pool is variable.

    That said, I do like the idea of feats or proficiencies that allow you to access more of your raw physical attributes. I think there's potentially a bit of weird narrative balance (a highly skilled but physically weak swordsman will still be rolling less dice than a big strong guy), but that's not necessarily untrue, so it depends on the types of stories you're trying to tell.

    I could always lock the increase of dice behind a character's leveling & their proficiency bonus?

    So say at 2nd level, a character has a Toughness score of 4, but their proficiency bonus is 2, so they are only able to use two d6's for a melee attack (but still add +4 to the roll, on account of their Toughness score). Once they reach, let's say 8th level, their proficiency bonus is now 4 and they can now use four d6's for that same melee attack.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think that's a bit better?

    I kind of question using the scores for both a number of dice and a bonus to the dice. Is there a reason you need to have a bonus?

    Also, with that system, let's be clear about how the power curve is going to look. Assuming no other changes, you're going to be getting diminishing returns with your average rolls as you level, as things get increasingly swingier. 2d6+4 has an average roll of 11, with a range of 6-16, while 4d6+4 has an average roll of 18, with a range of 8-28. If that's the sort of thing you're looking for, that can be good, but I feel like it runs contrary to the level progression narrative you generally see.

  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    With that, being able to add in additional dice is a massive shift up. I would definitely look at restricting it in some way, but, well, then I start wondering about the point of having higher stats. In the example you give, with a 15 point buy, I could instead make a character with threes across the board, and be able to use those to their full extent in any test without having to take special feats/proficiencies, etc.

    In short, I would say rethink the idea of a target number for a variable dice pool system. It works great if everyone is rolling 2d6 (or 3d6, or whatever), but I feel like it shifts extensively when the dice pool is variable.

    That said, I do like the idea of feats or proficiencies that allow you to access more of your raw physical attributes. I think there's potentially a bit of weird narrative balance (a highly skilled but physically weak swordsman will still be rolling less dice than a big strong guy), but that's not necessarily untrue, so it depends on the types of stories you're trying to tell.

    I could always lock the increase of dice behind a character's leveling & their proficiency bonus?

    So say at 2nd level, a character has a Toughness score of 4, but their proficiency bonus is 2, so they are only able to use two d6's for a melee attack (but still add +4 to the roll, on account of their Toughness score). Once they reach, let's say 8th level, their proficiency bonus is now 4 and they can now use four d6's for that same melee attack.

    Genesys has all skill checks as stat/skill.

    The higher of the two determines how many dice you roll. The lower of the two upgrades your dice from the normal d8s to the good d12s.

    So if you're sneaking, and you have 3 agility and 1 stealth, you roll 2d8 and 1d12. 3 total dice from your agility, 1 is upgraded due to your stealth skill.

    Stats are expensive to raise, since there's only 5 or 6 and you apply them to every roll. Skills are cheaper.

  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I think that's a bit better?

    I kind of question using the scores for both a number of dice and a bonus to the dice. Is there a reason you need to have a bonus?

    Which bonus? The proficiency bonus (which I'd be stealing outright from D&D fifth edition because I think its a simple, effective system) or the attribute bonus? The attribute bonus I'd be fine chopping off, I'm just very used to it being applied to every roll (a carryover from the traditional d20 model).
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Also, with that system, let's be clear about how the power curve is going to look. Assuming no other changes, you're going to be getting diminishing returns with your average rolls as you level, as things get increasingly swingier. 2d6+4 has an average roll of 11, with a range of 6-16, while 4d6+4 has an average roll of 18, with a range of 8-28. If that's the sort of thing you're looking for, that can be good, but I feel like it runs contrary to the level progression narrative you generally see.

    This I will have to think on.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.