Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bringing a copy of your CV harkens back to people just barging into businesses for impromptu interviews in the times before the internet

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    You'll sleep when you're dead.

Which thankfully will actually be pretty soon if you're clocking 16 hour days and then also spending a few hours at work-related functions afterwards.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    16 hours at work, 2 hours enforced after work "recreation", 1 hour commute, 1 hour ablutions, 4 hours sleep

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Wait, do people not bring notes and a resume with them to the interview

That's like showing up to an open book exam and saying "nah, I don't need the book, thanks"

I mean I've ditched it for one or two interviews but it's good to be able to directly cite things out of your resume knowing the interviewer usually has copies, I can write questions down ahead of time, and I can write answers out in the notes so I can remember details about their answers/who the interviewer is and their role in case they're slow as hell at getting back to me

It just seems like a practical choice on top of wanting to get professionalism bonus points

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Why would I bring my resume? I already sent it to them to even get the interview.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I have actually been specifically asked to bring copies of my resume to job interviews before. Can’t honestly say why.

But bring a copy of my resume was something I was told by, I think by my parents, to my first job interview and I have done ever since as a sort of “it is known” thing.

It has proven useful to reference my own resume mid interview to formulate talking points and examples. I tailored the resume while looking at that particular job, so it can help make sure that my answer aligns with the company’s values from their website that I have utterly forgotten by the time I am at an interview (and will never remember again on the actual job, but the HR filter will be pleased as punch to hear it.)

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Wait, do people not bring notes and a resume with them to the interview

That's like showing up to an open book exam and saying "nah, I don't need the book, thanks"

I mean I've ditched it for one or two interviews but it's good to be able to directly cite things out of your resume knowing the interviewer usually has copies, I can write questions down ahead of time, and I can write answers out in the notes so I can remember details about their answers/who the interviewer is and their role in case they're slow as hell at getting back to me

It just seems like a practical choice on top of wanting to get professionalism bonus points

it's definitely one of those "it depends" things both on the position and the person's organizational style

in my interviews there has been 0 correlation between notebook and resume, and the person being the right candidate.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I guess it depends on how entry level the person is, whether they've interviewed before, and if they have somebody who helped prepare them for an interview. Some things need to be taught, and there's not the emphasis anymore. They don't know the performative rituals since they haven't been inducted.
    And if they're younger, they might just think more digitally and aren't used to printed things. I remember going to a Kinkos to get my resume printed on fancy paper to hand to people. Now, it's all online, and it's harder to find actual print shops.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Why would I bring my resume? I already sent it to them to even get the interview.

Yeah but you're not like, handing them a copy necessarily (though I have given out copies before when an interviewer forgot theirs! Smooth points!!!)

It's more for personal reference and to show that you took the thing seriously and came prepared, but also so you can be like "okay so I mention this on page 2...."

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    We did it people. We found the worst boss in human history

I like the idea that there is no team that joined that person for seeing the city. Also I find it funny that picture of starbucks drink and food is their representation of seeing some of the city.

Work hard (allow employer to exploit you) play hard (go to Starbucks). A shitty manager sure, but I mostly feel sad for how boring this person is.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I've never had the kind of job where I needed to present a resume and I have a problem with real big gaps in my work history and it's like

"well see, I hated that job so much I actually saved up my money so I could coast on it when I left and I didn't need a job for a while."

maybe I'll just make a bunch of stuff up, no way that can backfire.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I just had the strange realization that I haven’t done an in-person interview since 2015. My last four hirings were entirely remote.
    I do bring resumes and pen and paper and whatnot when it happens, though. Not that I actually think they’re important personally, but more as a preparedness thing in case I’m ever asked.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Bringing your resume is good in my experience as it's HR who sets up the interviews and managers are doing the interview without any prep time. Also it takes like 3+ months to go from application to interview and things change.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I just had the strange realization that I haven’t done an in-person interview since 2015. My last four hirings were entirely remote.
    I do bring resumes and pen and paper and whatnot when it happens, though. Not that I actually think they’re important personally, but more as a preparedness thing in case I’m ever asked.

some time in the future, the realization will sink in that you’ve been at the same job for over 10 years and then shit gets weird.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Well my first week at the new job is in the books. I'm very happy! I have a few thoughts I wanna get down and here seems like a good place
    • I think my favourite thing about it is that I'm working closely in a creative department team. In most of my previous design jobs I've been given a job and told to finish it. In this one we come up with the ideas, we create pitches, we flesh things out, we help team members who are stalling, it's much less micro managed and more trusting.
    • The departments are self contained and self governing. In previous jobs I would see and talk to the owner of the company every day. I always felt like I was justifying my salary. In this job I report to the creative director and I only saw the owner once when he popped into my office to say welcome.
    • They have a department Skillshare account and encourage us to us it when we don't have pressing deadlines to learn new skills on the clock which is RAD.
    • They've been understaffed for a WHILE. I started the same day as another designer and they're so happy to have us, but there's a big backlog of work and I really wanna help clear it but they're too busy to hand it off to me.
    • I wanna know why I'm so fucking HUNGRY all day. Like somehow my appetite whent from zero to 100 the moment I walked back into the office.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So at a meeting last week myself and a senior person got to inform my manager that no we absolutely would not be giving an outside party a ton of access to our proprietary shit.

Basically we made a data sharing agreement for a project and they were like oh easy-peasy just give them an account that can access fucking everything and they'll be able to get what they need. We were like no no we need to actually work on who receives this and how and it has to be something other than just handing out an admin account. There are safe ways to share lots of information! The options aren't just email or handing them the keys.

My manager hadn't even completely laid out what we needed to do and when or like made any tasks with like a week to go before the deadline because in their mind we were already like 99% there, so it came as a shock!

Then at the next standup they were like so how's everyone feeling after that tense meeting? Great, we're all feeling great that you're making decisions, it's awesome.

I really need more money for this.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    If you're going through a recruitment agency or a temp agency, bring everything. You never know what was actually passed along to the employer, or vice versa.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2021
    I would never think to bring a pen and notebook to an interview for purely professional-appearing reasons. Usually I'll have my laptop with me and there's generally a whiteboard component, so there's writing surfaces available if someone really needs to write something down. (I also don't think I've ever needed to refer to a physical copy of my resume, either, because the project details are in my head and the cv has only the barest bones, but I usually bring one out of habit).

That said I was thinking about it and realised I probably do almost always have something on hand to write on during interviews, because writing or doodling while someone talks is one of my ADD management techniques. I find it much easier to focus and take in aural information if I'm doing something with my hands at the same time. And if I don't physically lock myself to a pen I'll probably start like, checking my email in the middle of an interview with the CTO, or making origami cranes.

So I might have just, like, lucked into looking professional for unrelated reasons.

tynic on
  • Options
    That lady sounds awful though. I wouldn't ding a candidate who didn't bring a resume, it's up to me to be prepared.

• Options
    I definitely imagine it’s industry dependent because bringing a laptop to any job interview I have done would raise eyebrows and opening it up and using it during the interview would probably have resulted in me being asked to leave.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    If those are how you disqualify people, you're not very good at hiring

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I definitely imagine it’s industry dependent because bringing a laptop to any job interview I have done would raise eyebrows and opening it up and using it during the interview would probably have resulted in me being asked to leave.

In my line of work, part of the interview process always involves giving a presentation, and sometimes I'll want to show someone a video or something off the cuff. Not having a laptop with you would be unusual.
    I don't use it to write down information or take notes, but it wouldn't bug me if people did, as long as they still seemed engaged and focussed.

tynic on
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »
    If those are how you disqualify people, you're not very good at hiring

To be fair, most companies seem to be very bad at it.

I am very frustrated that I can’t recommend two people from my last job to my current job because they don’t have CS or CS adjacent degrees, despite having first hand evidence they’d be able to nail this role no problem.

It’s arbitrary hoops all the way down.

• Options
    Oh, I definitely wouldn't consider it disqualifying or bring it up as a point in favour of the person if I was interviewing them and they did/did not have a resume on hand

But so much of an interview is portraying an image of the Ideal Employee and for myself I guess it's partially a prop, partially a way to establish that image of being competent/prepared/invested in the role by thinking of small details like that

I've never really considered bringing a laptop to an interview, but my last one was a hulking gaming machine which would have made it awkward; I could maybe bring my Surface Go but I'd feel weird about it for exactly no real reason I can place, ahaha

Steam
  • Options
    How do you show people your project work, if you don't mind me asking? Give em your portfolio web address and use their machine?

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I don't normally bring anything with me into a job interview. If the interviewer needs me resume then they certainly have one that I sent in. Most of my interviews are talking more philosophically how I orient to work, and which areas I am strongest in. There is no physical way to represent this so my memory is where the information always lives. Plus I feel it helps reinforce my statement that paper work and administrative tasks are my weakest area. The sooner everyone gets on the same page that my paperwork will be at or near the bare minimum needed the better. I won't get better, and trying to get me to will just be an extremely miserable experience for everyone remotely involved.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Sidenote to the timber related discussion: as a non native English speaker I was a bit confused about the proper use of lumber and timber so I looked that up.

Of course timber and lumber each describe exactly the other thing depending on whether you are in the US and Canada or UK, Australia, NZ. Of course.

Oh, let me help you out.

This is timber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHUbLv4ThOo

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    How do you show people your project work, if you don't mind me asking? Give em your portfolio web address and use their machine?

I have personally never done a job interview that asked me to show project work in any form, be it before or during the interview.

• Options

Generally I'll have a print version as well, but they'll have had the option to review the site beforehand too since I include it in the cover letter, resume, etc, and I keep an eye on the analytics to see if it's been viewed prior to the interview

I didn't have video content on there until recently, so it hasn't been an ongoing concern; I suppose I'd bring the tablet for that reason if was going to interview in-person again!

Steam
  • Options
    Even without video content id probably want to do a tailored presentation to highlight projects that were particularly relevant to that particular employer.

But in research youll be expected to give formal presentations for anywhere between 15 minutes to an hour. Two hours if it's a faculty interview. So making various collections of curated slides for different situations is just a habit at this point

• Options

I have personally never done a job interview that asked me to show project work in any form, be it before or during the interview.

Oh, I was talking to cello, because she's in design. I know it's not ubiquitous.

• Options

Oh, I was talking to cello, because she's in design. I know it's not ubiquitous.

Ah, apologies, hard to tell if one is addressing the room at large or an individual without quotes being used.

• Options
    Yeah my bad! Phone posting

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I always bring something like this for interviews: holy gigantic link, Batman

I've been asked to produce copies of my resume more than enough times that I wouldn't go to an interview without at least 5. It happened most frequently when I would be interviewed by multiple people - there would often be at least 1 person who forgot to print a copy, or was added to the interview team late, or whatever. It's very easy to throw 10-15 copies of my resume into a portfolio like that. Having them there is never going to hurt, and it can only help by showing that I came prepared for interviewers who care about that kind of thing.

Notepad is included inside and I would clip a nicer pen in. There are a lot of hiring managers who like to see candidates taking notes because they believe that shows they are more interested, or detail-oriented, or whatever, so I would write a handful of minor details down at any interview to make myself look good to them. I would also usually write down a couple of questions ahead of time to ask the interviewers based on my research into their company and/or the job ahead of time.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Even without video content id probably want to do a tailored presentation to highlight projects that were particularly relevant to that particular employer.

But in research youll be expected to give formal presentations for anywhere between 15 minutes to an hour. Two hours if it's a faculty interview. So making various collections of curated slides for different situations is just a habit at this point

Oh yeah, in my roughly 60ish interviews I have only been asked to run a presentation the once, last month, and I usually supply the portfolio on my own initiative (I don't believe they've ever even been requested)

Usually even the interviewer for basic mech design stuff doesn't even bring a laptop in, in my experience; more often they seem to assess technical knowledge verbally. It might be because the HR types don't generally know the work, and the culture in eng design shops tends to assume you'll have to relearn the applications anyway, so they care more about CAD experience, ability to learn new stuff, materials or manufacturing processes you've worked with, etc. They tend to care less about form and more about function, and I think that extends to the interview style sometimes.

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    If you're going through a recruitment agency or a temp agency, bring everything. You never know what was actually passed along to the employer, or vice versa.

Have had that happen before, yeah. They added a description of my character and completely mangled the layout, despite being provided with a flat text document.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »

Have had that happen before, yeah. They added a description of my character and completely mangled the layout, despite being provided with a flat text document.

And on the other side of the table, we've had interviews where the applicant asked for a copy of the job description, because the agency we used hadn't actually shared that. You never know.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I bring copies of my resume to interviews just in case one or more of the folks interviewing me don't have it handy but I can't say I've ever brought a notepad, or taken notes during the interview.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    If you need to wear a suit to an interview and don't own one, why not kill two birds with one stone by making a suit out of copies of your resume. This will demonstrate preparedness, resourcefulness, and a high pain tolerance for paper cuts.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I've always brought a copy of my resume, a pen, and a note pad with me, but I've never really needed to use them. Sometimes at the end I'll ask a few questions about the culture or something and then sort of jot down half the response, but really it's all performative.