Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That feeling when you find a research approach that seems interesting and useful and relevant but nobody has really followed up or done much else with it in the fifteen years hence
    and you're like, does that mean we can revitalise an important idea that didn't get the attention it deserved? or is it because it's actually a pile of shit?

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    You are both very wise @Jedoc and @Inquisitor - thanks very much **

That sounds so exciting @tynic (& like it will yield high impact publications : D ) - good luck!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    That feeling when you find a research approach that seems interesting and useful and relevant but nobody has really followed up or done much else with it in the fifteen years hence
    and you're like, does that mean we can revitalise an important idea that didn't get the attention it deserved? or is it because it's actually a pile of shit?

https://xkcd.com/979/

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

That's when you know there are 20 sad grad students who tacked an extra year or two of un-publishable negative results to their PhD and no one will ever know, so it will just keep being tried for eternity. What no, no one is bitter.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Making negative results verboten to publish is one of the dumbest mistakes we ever made.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Making negative results verboten to publish is one of the dumbest mistakes we ever made.

I get the dilemma, journals would be full of little else, but ughhhhh. Getting pulled aside after a poster, "oh yeah my student tried this years ago here is what happened"

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’m just going to add live stream producer to my resume. I just got done running the thing for the school’s national honors society induction ceremony.

Felt very macgyvery getting everything working right for both the people in the auditorium and the people at home.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It was so many spinning plates though. Dear god.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

If you're lucky, said poor grad student tosses those results in a middle dissertation chapter and someone clues you in to look there.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

You can occasionally get negative results published

This one is pretty famous
    https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1751-8113/44/49/492001

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Launched my first advertising campaign, am hype. I'm thinking about putting on a crawfish boil soon to get the word out and strengthen existing contacts.

I didn't realise your new job was your own business. Are you contracting out or doing something more focused?

I have a full time job back in deepwater services that I am keeping on the down low while I am also trying to use my insomnia for good by building my own startup, a turnkey engineering and rapid advanced manufacturing company. I have a PE license in the state of Texas so I'm allowed to say "Engineer" in the title. Legalzoom put a hold on my application until I clarified that with them. Maybe I'll finally see some ROI on getting that license. The new job is great and I really like the guys but the commute is rough. I'm looking to move ASAP but getting a hold of apartments has been tough. If I could I'd move out this weekend and just start sleeping on an air mattress until I got movers to ship my shit.

Link to my business is in my signature. Let me know if I can hook y'all up with anything. Right now I'm offering free 30 minute consults with a licensed PE (me) and a special personalized gift to the first 50 respondents. Umm, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules in this thread by mentioning any of this. Apologies in advance!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Aldo wrote: »
    They forgot to fire my partner this month. Like: literally. She just received her salary and it's a full month. They just completely forgot to fire her.

She has been ill for 2 years, hasn't worked a day in all that time, requested benefits from the government, they granted it to her and already paid her first few weeks. She never got anything in writing from her old job. She figured they had just neglected to send her a good bye note. Turns out they just completely forgot all about this. It is so dumb: they had to also request from the government that they could fire her. They've been trying to get rid of her or get her back to work for two full years.

We're going to call the union tomorrow to ask for legal advice, because she currently either got too much money from the govt or from one of the largest companies on this planet.

OK, so the union explained the whole thing to us: her employer fucked up, they need to fire her with a mutual agreement. Considering the fucking amateur show we've witnessed so far we're going to let a union lawyer sift through the agreement before we sign anything.

Now she has to call her ex-boss and the government to tell them her employer fucked up. If we don't get this sorted the government is going to treat her like a scam artist and cancel her benefits. We're currently trying to get a phone number of someone at (one of the largest companies in the world) who understands what they need to do. After we've spoken with them we need to call the government and tell them what happened and how it's going to be fixed.

None of this is her fault, but she's on the hook anyway. It's no fun, but it's funny.

Aldo on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hey US, please quit hogging all the timber construction products from Europe. It's causing serious delays in our projects. Also the prices are getting insane.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I keep hearing that timber costs are crazy right now.

What's caused the shortage? We can't run out of trees, they grow in dirt!

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

It takes time for trees to grow, Mojo!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options

Combination of several things.

Building boom in northern America.

US import duties on Canadian timber.

Sawmills clothing down during the pandemic.

Climate change. For example British Columbia loosing 180k square kilometres of forest to the mountain pine beetle that really likes the changing climate. All kinds of bark beetles were pretty much out of control all over the globe.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hey, why are there all these mysterious construction flat beds and excavators parking in the back of our building parking lot yesterday and blocking the roadway for no apparent reason? Wow, that's weird. Oh good, they're gone. But my car mysteriously seemed to have taken a hit to the rear driver's side wheel well from some mysterious source. What ever could it have been? :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Climate change. For example British Columbia loosing 180k square kilometres of forest to the mountain pine beetle that really likes the changing climate. All kinds of bark beetles were pretty much out of control all over the globe.

More locally, all of the pacific northwest caught on fire last October.

Like, I'm not dialed in enough to know where most of the active timber is these days, but when almost literally the entire Oregon cascade forest is on fire at once that has to effect not only long term supply but set back access to whatever was not consumed in hellfire, which means whoever in the US relied on that timber usually has to look elsewhere and all the knock on effects.

• Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »

Like, I'm not dialed in enough to know where most of the active timber is these days, but when almost literally the entire Oregon cascade forest is on fire at once that has to effect not only long term supply but set back access to whatever was not consumed in hellfire, which means whoever in the US relied on that timber usually has to look elsewhere and all the knock on effects.

Add in the beetles and other general climate change, as well as the fact that timber was likely a bit artificially cheap/overproduced before so expectations of what a tree should cost as lumber probably aren't as pinned to reality as they could be.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i am jealous of anyone doing major projects these days and not having supply issues.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Pellaeon wrote: »

The cost of lumber is due to speculation

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Also wrt to lumber, a bunch of sawmills closed down in the 2008 once in a lifetime collapse.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Also wrt to lumber, a bunch of sawmills closed down in the 2008 once in a lifetime collapse.

*Looks around*

Maybe twice in a lifetime?

• Options
    Yeah, I was making a (not great) joke.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Once in a lifetime for Rush Limbaugh

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Oh, oh geeze. Apparently that accolade I got yesterday didn’t just go to my boss and my boss’s boss.

But also my boss’s boss’s boss, and my boss’s boss’s boss’s boss.

And I am the first person in any security team to get a public shoutout like that.

Haha no pressure, no pressure at all!

*faints*

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    So nw you'll be expected to get two accolades next month or you've failed your metrics y/n?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    We need a dashboard for Inquisitor KPIs

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Hopefully it tracks heart rate, you monsters.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Why is your heart rate going down

we need those numbers UP Inquisitor! Get on it!

• Options

Why is your heart rate going down

we need those numbers UP Inquisitor! Get on it!

Time to get a standing treadmill desk (I actually would like one.)

• Options
    Sidenote to the timber related discussion: as a non native English speaker I was a bit confused about the proper use of lumber and timber so I looked that up.

Of course timber and lumber each describe exactly the other thing depending on whether you are in the US and Canada or UK, Australia, NZ. Of course.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    As is good and proper

• Options
    Sidenote to the timber related discussion: as a non native English speaker I was a bit confused about the proper use of lumber and timber so I looked that up.

Of course timber and lumber each describe exactly the other thing depending on whether you are in the US and Canada or UK, Australia, NZ. Of course.

I just assumed they were interchangeable.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Sidenote to the timber related discussion: as a non native English speaker I was a bit confused about the proper use of lumber and timber so I looked that up. .
    Lumber: Timber: Amusingly enough, I think Timber is the more subtle song of the two.

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    As is good and proper

What an inflammatory statement. Good thing I've got some inflammable (usa) material to protect me. But oh no! You've doused it in inflammable (uk) petrol!

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    We did it people. We found the worst boss in human history

I like the idea that there is no team that joined that person for seeing the city. Also I find it funny that picture of starbucks drink and food is their representation of seeing some of the city.

• Options
    I do always bring a pen, notepad, and resume to job interviews.

On the surface it is to look like I am a prepared, organized, diligent individual.

But really it is so I can have pre-written down some key talking points and questions to make me seem like the perfect, engaged, ideal candidate.

Job interviews are performative bullshit but if you are going to make me play a game I am going to try to min-max it.

• Options
    I do always bring a pen, notepad, and resume to job interviews.

On the surface it is to look like I am a prepared, organized, diligent individual.

But really it is so I can have pre-written down some key talking points and questions to make me seem like the perfect, engaged, ideal candidate.

Job interviews are performative bullshit but if you are going to make me play a game I am going to try to min-max it.

Oh, as part of this costume I would actually bring little Field Note knockoffs called "Fold Journals" (they are great and cheap, I legit do use these) as well as an all metal pen...it was just this five buck one from zebra, but it LOOKS nice (As pens they are alright but I live my life surrounded by sharpies of various sorts, who needs pens?). Got multiple comments on it making me look put together and organized for having this little notebook and nice pen to whip out of my pocket. They can't see that even I can barely read my writing. And let me tell you. Ya boy sloppy and disheveled day to day. But on interview day I can do a mean poindexter