Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My work seems pretty dead set on WFH ending, which means not only a commute but also moving to another city/state for me.

Portland seems cool and all but I’d also like... rather not go through the ordeal that is moving

Portland is a solid move. Could do _much_ worse.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My work seems pretty dead set on WFH ending, which means not only a commute but also moving to another city/state for me.

Portland seems cool and all but I’d also like... rather not go through the ordeal that is moving

Portland is a solid move. Could do _much_ worse.

Oh, 100%! I think I’ll quite enjoy the city!

I just currently live in LA, enjoy it, and I like, hang out with my best friend since the 4th grade on the regular here.

But, variety is the spice of life after all!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hopefully they are paying to move you?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Hopefully they are paying to move you?

$7k to move from LA to Portland, keep the change.

So I definitely can’t complain on that front at all.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still tired
    Because of call outs and people on Pto I had to do from Auto to sporting goods to toys on a double truck night
    After I had finished I was press ganged to help someone do the big furniture so once again I got over a hour of OT
    my arms are still sore and tired

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    :heartbeat:

I know you use this thread to vent. I just hope you are okay. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Guess when it rains it pours. Have a test next week for a civil service list, and got an email that SF wants me to sit an exam that same week. Unfortunately it's the day after I get my second jab, so hopefully I can reschedule the exam, because I very much need to put my best foot forward on that one. Feeling like ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag because of the shot is like the opposite of that.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so we're going to be getting a half day every month to work on our professional development.

So

Anybody have any good resources to look at for how to use social media for a small business, or any good resources for making things into pdfs? or training courses on how to use excel for managing inventory?

Do people even use excel for that?

I'm looking for things that I can kind o use as 'professional development' for my current work but are also 'get me out of this industry' stuff as well.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    so we're going to be getting a half day every month to work on our professional development.

So

Anybody have any good resources to look at for how to use social media for a small business, or any good resources for making things into pdfs? or training courses on how to use excel for managing inventory?

I'm looking for things that I can kind o use as 'professional development' for my current work but are also 'get me out of this industry' stuff as well.

The question you gotta ask yourself is, "Is Excel particularly good at this? Is it something Excel should be good at?"

If the answers to that question aren't "yes absolutely" then yeah, people use Excel for that.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ooof. Excel for managing inventory. Its the stuff of my nightmares.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Starting a startup is a lot of work! It's almost a good thing I have wicked insomnia. It allows me to be ultra productive. Sure my brain is probably going to melt down but Yolo.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

So

The question you gotta ask yourself is, "Is Excel particularly good at this? Is it something Excel should be good at?"

If the answers to that question aren't "yes absolutely" then yeah, people use Excel for that.

To clarify, two things: 1, this is throwing shade at Excel, not anybody in here. 2, Excel is actually probably capable to decent at probably a great number of things, whether or not the answer is "yes absolutely" if the answer is, "ehh, it can" then yeah that's really all some people need.

• Options
    edited April 2021

So

To clarify, two things: 1, this is throwing shade at Excel, not anybody in here. 2, Excel is actually probably capable to decent at probably a great number of things, whether or not the answer is "yes absolutely" if the answer is, "ehh, it can" then yeah that's really all some people need.

The biggest problem with excel is that people use it far past the point of switching to better software. Thus creating a huge workload triaging massive broken workbooks containing databases excel was never designed to handle.

You could probably make decent money consulting and getting businesses off excel and email and into better task management software and mrp/erp software.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »

So

The biggest problem with excel is that people use it far past the point of switching to better software. Thus creating a huge workload triaging massive broken workbooks containing databases excel was never designed to handle.

You could probably make decent money consulting and getting businesses off excel and email and into better task management software and mrp/erp software.

The big 4 make billions doing this. I'd say that 95% of the time the company goes straight back to Excel and Email within a month

Edit: the problem of people falling back into old habits results in more management consultancy. As now you get "change management" following a shift in internal systems so a load of graduates in suits now police you for a bit to make the habit stick

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

So

Making things into PDF? Most office, graphic or geographic software has an export function, usually somewhere close to the save or print options in the menu. Then there are PDF-printers you can just install and that act as if they are a physical printer. They are usually built into larger PDF handling software packages like Adobe Acrobat and PDF Forge, but there are also tiny apps. I have CutePDF installed and that's been working fine for the past 5+ years.

Using Excel for inventory gives me flashbacks to dumb archive work. Excel is great until it is not great. I'm not sure there are sensible courses on Excel for inventory, maybe look for a course that focuses on inventory management in general. The software you end up using is less important than using a good system to keep track of whatever you're putting in a warehouse.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I learn a lot about Excel when I just try to do something without considering if it's even possible until I start. Learned the most when I was making character generators, though none of it actually useful in my daily work. Kinda fun though at least, good time wasters.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    One thing about this new post-covid working from home world down here is that the entire downtown retail & service industry has dropped massively... but when you dig into the numbers, their weekends are roughly back to pre-covid levels, but it's their weekday sales that are down about >20%, which tracks with how many fewer office workers are commuting into the city. They keep talking about 'recovery' and getting back, but like, businesses are cancelling their leases and enabling telework and those volumes of workers aren't coming back. At least, not any time soon. This is the new normal, and there's just not going to be as many people in the city any more, and those lunchtime numbers aren't going to bounce back to where they were before because pretty much everyone wants to avoid the commute and stay home a couple days a week if they can. Everyone's discovered and created the systems and support they needed to make that happen.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'm kind of looking forward to getting back to the office.

Naturally, the first time I will go to the office since March 2020 is this Thursday to pack up my stuff. Not because we're ditching offices generally, just ditching this office specifically because we're getting a new building opening in the fall and moving out of our current location.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Ooof. Excel for managing inventory. Its the stuff of my nightmares.

Yes, not ideal

Our inventory is managed? Through a customized version of Lawson Infor and it's such a dogshit way to run a place

Exporting things to excel is actually an improvement

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I provided clear training and detailed documentation for a new nightly process. Come in this morning and the values they input arent even from the report they're supposed to pulled from, despite turning in the report along with their incorrect values. Did they just make up numbers?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

So

There was a few things recommended in one of the four eyes furniture youtube videos. One of the guys on that team is not as great on social media and he mentioned he found some course helpful from udemy. Let me look and dig it up.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Well, cranky old patron, I'm sure I don't know what Governor Stitt can do about the fact that Apple TV will probably never release their streaming-exclusive shows on DVD so the library can purchase them.

But will I look up his fax number for you? You're goddamn right I will.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    When I worked at the movie theater our budget was handled every year in Excel. The corporate office made a 'worksheet' they would send out for us to put numbers into. The worksheet had working buttons and everything!

It also took, literally, 5 minutes to load up when you opened it, and several minutes to save any changes you made because it was roughly 75 pages of stuff that you shouldn't stuff into Excel

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Well, cranky old patron, I'm sure I don't know what Governor Stitt can do about the fact that Apple TV will probably never release their streaming-exclusive shows on DVD so the library can purchase them.

But will I look up his fax number for you? You're goddamn right I will.

I don't know if this is a universal thing or more of a DC thing but we help people try to contact the Supreme Court about their personal legal issues all the time. If I had a way to give them specific Justices' contact info you bet I would but unfortunately they make that information hard to find.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I am of the opinion that Excel shouldn't be used for much beyond simple forms. If it spreads across more than a tab or two... it's way too much.

It's very good at just making simple tables and such, automatic calculation and highlighting, etc. That's useful and easy to set up. But just because it's Turing complete doesn't mean it's good at it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    xhqsomxpgj9t.png

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    jesus i just had to pay two hundred american dollery-doos for a 4 minute virtual call with my doctor to confirm that no i have not recently tried killing myself, yes i still take my pills, yes i should keep taking them because as you can see i am still alive

what the actual fuck. up yours insurance you're a joke

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    As much as I hate access, I really wish more business people would adopt it for shit they're using excel for.

Once you're using vlookups just admit you're outside the wheelhouse of what excel should be doing for you and commit to tables and sql.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Corporate accounting just tried to throw me under the bus, saying they've requested documents from me multiple times with no response.

Beginning of the email chain they used to do this is me sending them the documents over a month ago.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    bowen wrote: »
    As much as I hate access, I really wish more business people would adopt it for shit they're using excel for.

Once you're using vlookups just admit you're outside the wheelhouse of what excel should be doing for you and commit to tables and sql.

We switched our scheduling excel to access with a nice custom front end reporting and good lord. It's a night and day difference in usability and stability. That switch alone has probably saved hundreds of hours of excel fuckery in the past year alone.

Our software guy even set it up so it reads from a couple of our ERP data tables for added functionality which is super nice.

webguy20 on
  • Options

We switched our scheduling excel to access with a nice custom front end reporting and good lord. It's a night and day difference in usability and stability. That switch alone has probably saved hundreds of hours of excel fuckery in the past year alone.

Our software guy even set it up so it reads from a couple of our ERP data tables for added functionality which is super nice.

I know people that have excel spreadsheets that take 1-2 hours to even open up (according to them, but I can believe it).

Like... come on you are losing so much time a day just to get to the point to do work, just commit the man hours and money to move it to a database and save yourself some grief because it only gets worse from there in excel.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    *cries in Google Sheet of school inventory with 57 tabs*

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I know people that have excel spreadsheets that take 1-2 hours to even open up (according to them, but I can believe it).

Like... come on you are losing so much time a day just to get to the point to do work, just commit the man hours and money to move it to a database and save yourself some grief because it only gets worse from there in excel.

I think some people like to be able to spend an hour or two claiming they're working while just waiting for an excel to open.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I think some people like to be able to spend an hour or two claiming they're working while just waiting for an excel to open.

I mean... you could still do that.

• Options
    Oh thank goodness, finally figured out all these printer issues. Got the linux raw print queues printing properly to the LPD service and on from there to the proper print spooler, using a local print service, and eventually outputting to our formatting tool and then to our fax system and network attached storage.

• Options

I keep pushing for us to get a 2nd software person. The current guy is so loaded down with engineering software implementation that our schedule is 2nd fiddle at best. We just need a bit more to get us over the hump. Even a part time person would be enough!

Story of my company though. We get 80% of the way there and then call it good.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Work laptop is broken. Not totally, it's all software issues, but it's old enough that they're just going to replace it rather than going through the effort of reimaging the thing. So new computer, cool!

I do networking setups. So uh.. why do the new laptops not have Ethernet ports exactly?

Long as you still have that serial port right.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    *cries in Google Sheet of school inventory with 57 tabs*

At least you're not using Excel!

Wait..

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh thank goodness, finally figured out all these printer issues. Got the linux raw print queues printing properly to the LPD service and on from there to the proper print spooler, using a local print service, and eventually outputting to our formatting tool and then to our fax system and network attached storage.
    You did good, well done!

@spool32 another warrior has emerged victorious.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    "We have no real idea what is going to happen with full remote working. Anyway we need to make sure you can receive phone calls on your machines so you can work from home indefinitely."